Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - First Impressions

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 14 - First Impressions

Chapter 14 - First Impressions
The Third Hokage rubbed his tired brow. “The Uchiha boy’s case is getting stranger.” “It is sir.” Answered Gemma Shiranui. Hokage looked over Kakashi’s report again. “If possible, it’s even stranger how this new boy is connected…Ekyt…hmm…he was the one who tipped us off about the Sound Village’s attack…interesting how fate works…” Hokage leaned back, puffing on his pipe. “Gemma, please summon Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, and Ekyt…” “Yes sir, right away.” Gemma vanished in a cloud of smoke. “Ah, to be young. Gemma has no idea how fast he’s already grown up.” Hokage pulled the pipe from his mouth, holding it, studying the smoke rising from it. “I can see great things for most of the Konoha ninjas…Even you Naruto. Sasuke…you must never give up. Sakura, someday you’ll be the finest medic we’ve ever seen. And our newest…Ekyt…you’re as much a mystery to me as you are to everyone else. Interesting how far you’ve come…”

Hokage heard the knock on the door some times later. “Here they are sir.” Gemma told him. “Thank you Gemma. Please, give us a few minutes.” Gemma bowed and exited. The large room seemed to be mostly painted white, with various weapons and pictures decorating the walls. Hokage was sitting in a chair that was carved as a gift from a local shopkeeper. Three cushions were scattered in front of Hokage. “Please, make yourselves comfortable! This is no interrogation!” Hokage offered. One of his servants brought in a tray of tea and rice balls. The Haruno girl…she’s so tense. Of course, she’s sitting next to Sasuke…no secrets there. Sasuke would rather not be here…also expected…and what of the other young man? I’ve seen him in combat situations, but one on one, he seems…nervous. Very interesting, all of them…

Ekyt and Sasuke had already discussed the fight, and there were no hard feelings. Sasuke had walked away mildly impressed, even almost thankful for Ekyt’s help in sealing that curse. Ekyt had walked away…well, literally speaking, he had been helped away on a stretcher. But he had even more contents for his scroll, including a new jutsu. Sakura was relieved, both of her friends had lived, and they didn’t hate each other! She thought back to the other night. Thank you…you’re a very brave warrior. She lifted his hitai ate and kissed his forehead, the last clean spot on his face. Ekyt managed as smile, then fell forward, his mysterious chakra and stamina gone Sakura blushed at the memory. After that, she had tended to Sasuke, who’s injuries were minor.

“I DO have questions for all of you. All I ask is honesty…if you can’t answer, I understand. This has been a traumatic experience for you three.” Hokage grinned at the rapt attention the three students were displaying. “Now, let’s begin with you, Ms. Haruno.” Sakura’s eyes widened at her name. “O-Okay.” She stammered, nervously brushing her pink hair aside. “You were the first to experience those dreams…I must ask you to relieve them once more…tell me about them. And any similarities between them.”

Sakura looked horribly shaken. “Lord Hokage, if I may…” Ekyt said respectfully, bowing. “Yes?” Ekyt turned to Sakura. “It’s okay. You’re the strongest kunoichi around. Those dreams…they were from hell…but Sasuke and I are both here. You’ve got my support Sakura. Remember, this will help you AND Sasuke.” Sakura looked over, a small sound of surprise escaping her lips. He’s…helping me? To get Sasuke’s attention? But…I thought… He gave her hand a brief squeeze. When she held on, he gave her a nod.

“Lord Hokage, all the dreams had two things in common: Ekyt and Naruto were fighting Sasuke. But it felt like there was…evil. The only constant in all three was Ekyt dying. And…” she hesitated. She looked over at Sasuke, who looked almost…encouraging. “And they all involved Orochimaru’s group. The Sound Village.” Sakura closed her eye for a moment, breathing through her nose, calming herself.

Interesting…Hokage thought. But not entirely unexpected. The Uchiha boy, Sasuke…her dreams may have been referencing his curse mark, not to mention her emotions for him…And I might be mistaken, but it seems she’s quite fond of this Ekyt boy as well…He’s a support beam to her, which she needs. But how can someone so anxious himself offer support to anyone else? “Ekyt, let’s hear from you next.”

“Focus Naruto.” “I’m trying Kakashi-sensei! I’m trying!” Naruto made sure of his aim, and struck. Crack, crack, crack! Three punches, three clean breaks. Naruto pulled his hitai-ate back up, out of the way of his eyes. “That was very good Naruto. I know you’ve been clamoring for a mission. Well, you’re getting one.” Naruto cheered. “Yessss! One more step toward Hokage!” As he watched Naruto dance around Kakashi smiled to himself, thinking He really has come a long way…he’s still the number-one, hyperactive, maverick ninja knucklehead…but he’s also a hard worker…his control has gotten better…and none too soon…this next mission is going to take some work…

“Linda-chan!” Linda looked up from the scroll she had been reading for the last twenty minutes. “Oh, hi Lee!” she said brightly, getting up to hug him. “We have a mission!” “Huh? Me?” “Yes! You, myself, and Tenten. We must go to Guy-Sensei and get the mission specifics. He is at Lone Pine Hill.” Linda was brimming with excitement. She couldn’t wait. I’ll show Ekyt…and that Sakura…I’m just as capable as they are!

The Hokage waited for Ekyt to start. “I only experienced (cough) the dreams once. That was yesterday. Sasuke and I put on a demonstration for Iruka-Sensei’s class. After the match, I was unconcious, when I suddenly saw a vision, like it was happening inside my eye lids…I saw Sasuke, except his curse mark had spread, all throughout his body. He was threatening to kill everyone. They were all injured…maybe dead. So I leapt up, trying to defend them. But I was killed. My hands…moved on their own. I thrust a kunai into my stomach and cut everything inside. Sasuke had my sword…he acted as a kaishaku-nin, and cut my head off…I was dead, but I could still see everything…and everyone was dead, or being killed.” Ekyt paused as Hokage raised a hand. “The vision was certainly genjutsu, one that Orochimaru uses. You must all be on your guard now. Please, continue.” Ekyt nodded. “I saw all this happening, and I suddenly felt a new chakra forming. I’d never seen or felt it before, but I knew the hand sings to make, and even the name of the jutsu I was about to use.” “And what was it’s name?” Hokage asked in interest. “It was called the “Transparent Hand Jutsu: Blue Flame Protection Seal.”

Hokage sat back, hard. “Can you demonstrate it?” he asked, thinking he already knew. Ekyt shook his head. “I’m afraid not. I can’t sense that chakra anymore…I can explain it better, however.” “ Please do.” “I held a hand in front of my chest, where it burst into a blue flame, with purple sparks. I could see through my own hand. I jammed it into Sasuke’s stomach and clenched my fist. The mark…it glowed, faded, then came back. I was too weak to finish the jutsu. Thankfully, Kakashi-sensei had seen it and copied it. But…But the seal won’t hold for long. Not without the technique being perfected. If Kakashi-Sensei could see it when I have my full chakra and stamina, I’m sure it would work.”

“That’s an option Ekyt. However, we cannot divert our resources to a “maybe” until that’s our only option.” “I understand sir. (cough).” “Are you not well?” Hokage asked. “The cough sir? Well, Sasuke and I gave a rather physical demonstration.” Ekyt said with a slight grin. “I see. Ekyt…you are dismissed. Report to Asuma Sarutobi. You have a mission. Upon completion, whatever the cost, I need a report from you.” Ekyt looked surprised, but stood up. “Understood Lord Hokage.” Ekyt walked to the door. Sakura tugged on his pant leg and whispered something to him. Ekyt gave a grin and patted his arm, where there was a bulge. Hokage couldn’t help but smile. “Sakura, you and Sasuke are almost through here. Sasuke…I need to know everything you can tell me…”

“Kakashi, do you really think this is wise?” Guy questioned. “Sakura is an excellent medic, Lee’s a taijutsu prodigy, Sasuke is a natural, Tenten excels with weapons, Linda needs mission experience to graduate eventually, and Naruto is…Naruto. They all compliment each other.” “Not Linda and Sakura. They’re near blows with each other.” Guy argued, jabbing his finger for emphasis. “They need to learn to put them aside. Besides, Sasuke will be around. Sakura will be occupied.” Asuma Sarutobi chose that moment to appear. “Sorry I’m late. I heard about your missions…but I think mine is going to take the cake for now.” “What do you mean Asuma?” Guy asked. “It seems Hayate Gekko and Ekyt have a mission to learn more about Sasuke’s curse mark.” That was news to Sasuke and Guy. “Hayate? Isn’t he an exam proctor?” “Lord Hokage chose him personally. Same with Ekyt. I recommended Shikamaru, since Ekyt doesn’t have the experience to lead yet, and Hayate doesn’t seem the type. But Shikamaru is supposed to stay here. I think they’ve got something in mind for him. I just wish I knew what. That slacker might be in over his head, no matter how smart he is.”

“When I first got bitten, I couldn’t use my chakra without it hurting. Kakashi-Sensei sealed the curse mark so I could use my chakra again. The curse started acting up again after Orochimaru’s attack. I couldn’t control my body at times. The last time was after Ekyt and I sparred…he was unconscious after he lost. Then my curse started to burn, and I heard Orochimaru’s voice in my head…it forced me to talk…Ekyt used that Jutsu and stuck his hand inside my stomach. He clenched his fist, and I felt Orochimaru fade. But Ekyt was too weak, Orochimaru came back. Then Kakashi used his Sharingan and copied Ekyt’s jutsu.” Sasuke finished his story. Sakura had moved closer to him, much to his complete indifference.

Hayate Gekko coughed again. What’s the deal here? I haven’t been assigned a mission in ages, let alone a B rank. I’ve got a genin with me who’s never had a real mission, not like this. Hayate coughed, then straightened his hitai-ate. He wore his as a head covering, leaving only one long bang of hair and his sideburns visible. He had bags under his eyes and a habitual cough. He heard someone approaching. “Flash.” The voice said. “(koff) Thunder.” Hayate answered. Ekyt walked up to him. Hayate’s first evaluating glance of Ekyt wasn’t exactly favorable, but he didn’t judge.

Ekyt had to change his look. His head had been hurt with in his match with Sasuke, and the blood had matted so much that his haircut looked retarded. So he had taken to wearing his hitai-ate as a head covering, at least for a while. Couple that with the black headband across his eye, the black mask across his face, and the toothpick jutting from his covered mouth, and he definitely didn’t look like you’re average guy. Ekyt smiled fondly, though, thinking of how the look had come about. Sakura had been the one to suggest it, actually helping him tie the thing on tight enough. The look on her face when I mentioned Sasuke…she’s worried about hurting my feelings…And Sasuke’s…what would give her that kind of worry? Ekyt thought he knew, but he honestly wasn’t sure. Hayate’s cough brought him back to reality.

“(koff) Ekyt, right?” “That’s me. You’re…Hayate?” “Um, yeah.” Hayate talked like he had zero confidence, despite being an accomplished chunin at the age of 23. “Any idea what our mission is about?” Ekyt asked. “Recon. That Sasuke guy’s curse mark…I remember seeing it at the chunin exams. Now we’re researching it. (koff koff).” “Have you been briefed on why I’m included in this?” Ekyt questioned. “Yeah. (Koff) Interesting jutsu. It just happened?” Hayate asked curiously. “Yeah.” Ekyt said, wondering himself how that had happened.

“Alright! Ah, youth! Your mission is to find and recover a scroll that was lost during the chunin exams.” Guy exclaimed. None of the genin wanted to go back to the Forest of Death. Linda and Kayla knew enough to understand that this place was bad news.

Kayla had been added at the last minute, because of her sharp observational skills. Guy continued. “So, let’s pair up. Naruto, you’re with Lee. (Lee’s face turned slightly downcast at this news). Tenten, you’re with Kayla. Sakura, you’re with Linda. Any Objec” “This witch? You’re kidding?!” Linda shouted, pointed at Sakura. “I’M the witch?! At least I don’t abandon my friend, you cheap knock-off!” “What was that?!” “You heard me!”

“Hold on Guy. Kakashi, it seems we have an odd number. So my three are joining the mission too.” Asuma said, gesturing to Ino, Choji, and Shikamaru. “Kurenai’s group is helping Iruka, or they would have come too.” Asuma added. “Ino, you join Sakura and Linda. Choji, you and Shikamaru stick together. Sasuke, you’re with me.” Kakashi said.

Sakura was mortified. Ino AND Linda. But something strange happened. Ino came up to her. “Listen Sakura. I know you don’t like Linda. Right now, I don’t either. For now, let’s just put aside our differences (well similarities, it IS Sasuke after all…). Right now, that poor kid deserves a break…so let’s just lay off each other until we’re done working with Linda. That pink-haired dog, clinging on Lee in front of Ekyt. Whaddaya say?” Sakura thought about Ekyt and Sasuke.

“I’m in Ino.”

“Alright, um (koff) we’ve got to keep this as quiet as possible. If we’re attacked, we’ve got to get out of there. (koff koff). Expect genjutsu. If anything goes wrong, one person gets captured or (koff) killed, the other reports back here. Alright?” Ekyt nodded. “Got it.” First thing Kakashi-sensei taught me: Abandoning a mission is bad, but abandoning a team mate, that’s just being scum. Hope I don’t have to make that choice.


NEXT ISSUE: THE MISSIONS BEGIN!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on October 14, 2007, 7:14:06 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Dude I love mate! You are getting better with each chapter. This rocks. This mission is going to be interesting. Lol.

SharinganKakashi on September 12, 2007, 12:22:20 PM

SharinganKakashi on
SharinganKakashisweet :3