Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 16 - Disturbed, Destroyed, and Dumbfounded

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 16 - Disturbed, Destroyed, and Dumbfounded

Chapter 16 - Disturbed, Destroyed, and Dumbfounded
Ekyt said his goodbyes to the Hayate, Kakashi, and Sasuke, hoping his voice wouldn’t be a dead giveaway to his emotions. As soon as he was out of site, he pressed his bandaged fingers to his temples. Chakaro had really given him a run for his money. It was a safe bet that Chakaro was studying just as hard as Ekyt. But that’s not enough…it never is…I’ve got to heal quick and get back at it. But it’s just getting harder…I have no clan to turn to, not to mention no natural abilities whatsoever. It’s not like I don’t get support, there’s just…something missing…

Ekyt found his way home, doing his best not to be seen. Those thousand little cuts made every move hurt; it was like getting stabbed all over again every time he moved, or even breathed. He decided to make it a point to learn more of the medical arts. Especially since I’m getting stabbed on a regular basis. If I was in a squad, with some kunoichi medic, then I wouldn’t worry as much. But right now, I’ve only got myself to rely on. While he was thinking, he managed to fit the key into the lock on his door, opening up his standalone apartment. The site didn’t exactly cheer him up. There was the tiny kitchen, stocked with food (Mostly instant ramen) and a rough wooden table, which had definitely seen better days. The Venetian blinds had been drawn across the windows, allowing on the smallest slits of light into the room, crisscrossing on the wall and make eerie shadows. The place suited Ekyt. With a start, he realized he had to give Lord Hokage a report. Quickly changing his clothes and cleaning his cuts, he ran back out the door.

“Your report Hayate?” Hokage asked, his tone and eyes friendly. Certainly an interesting mission from what Kakashi was able to tell me.
“Um (koff), here, Lord Hokage.” Hayate handed over the sketches Ekyt had made before continuing. “(koff)I’m, um, happy to report that Ekyt shows all the qualities desired in (koff) Shinobi. I did as instructed (koff) and let him take over lead at the points necessary.”
Hokage looked over the papers, a small smile of satisfaction crawling over his face, making the old man look younger. “More than I had a right to expect, even from a promising Genin and a Tokubetsu Jonin. Kakashi deciphered Sasuke’s curse mark, so the mission is definitely a success. Tell me Hayate…what happened?

“Naruto! Please leave your childish jutsus out of this mission!” Lee said, angrily putting a hand to his still-dripping nose. That harem jutsu…I am ashamed to have fallen prey to it…When we return, I will do 500 laps around the practice field
Grinning broadly, Naruto stretched his arms behind his head. “You’re way to uptight Bushy Brow. I HAD to do something. If I didn’t, this mission was going to be more boring that Iruka-Sensei’s lectures! Besides, nothing wrong with a little fun!”
“ ‘Fun’ is for those with skills Naruto. Neither you nor I fall into that category.”
“WHAT?! I’m gonna be the next Hokage, believe it! Don’t you d-hey, what’s that?” Naruto looked down into the river they had been by. He and Lee were up on the lip of what looked like a canyon. Inexplicably, Naruto leapt off the canyon with a shout of excitement.
“Naruto!” Lee called. He looked down after Naruto, hoping he would bob back up to the surface anytime now…

The tension between Ino, Linda, and Sakura had grown- big time! It was no secret that Sakura had a soft spot for Ekyt (Even though she isn’t sure of what context the soft spot falls into), and even Ino had taken a liking to him. Even two feuding friends like Ino and Sakura could agree the young man was friendly and respectful to them, a rarity among the boys in the village. But then there was Linda, who had come to the village with him. Now it sounded as though she would do anything to stop his progression through the ranks, even if it meant crippling him to stop him from getting killed.
“You just don’t understand…he’s ALWAYS doing stuff like that, sacrificing himself. He would do it for anyone, people he didn’t know, hell, even his worst enemy! He’s going to get himself killed. We might not be in love, but he’s still my friend, and I don’t want him dead, no matter how much I hate him,” Linda said suddenly.
The three had been resting in the forest, each sitting on a rock, a small fire going in the middle of it. The smoke curled and twisted happily toward the sky, where it eventually disbanded and spread out. Just like the team of Ekyt, Linda, Chakaro, and Kayla.
This was the chosen meeting place for all the teams. The three girls in this group had covered their ground quickly, not finding any sign of the scroll. Now they could relax until the others showed up, or they received new orders. Or they COULD have relaxed, except they were at each other’s throats so much.
Sakura and Ino exchanged glances. This was the most vulnerable they had ever seen Linda look. She was lying on her side, her fingers playing with her long pink hair most of the time. Occasionally she fingered a pendant around her neck, most of which was hidden from sight.
All the girls were different, as different as possible, it seemed. But they all worried for their friends. Sakura took a brave stab at conversation. “Ekyt is a nice guy Linda. So is Lee, and you two seem so perfect together! I remember you telling me about dating him, and how you told Ekyt about it. How he just took it in stride…some part of you…it needs to protect him, right? Linda…you might want to protect him, but that doesn’t mean you can hold him back. He’s his own person. And, it might not be easy, but you’ve got to let him live. And, please…don’t leap down my throat for treating him like a friend.” Let’s see what kind of reaction this gets…

“Honored Grandson, you must reconsider your carousing with that…that…hoodlum! It is NOT good for you, least of all if you want to become Hokage! I can teach you the skills necessary, and I can show you all the shortcuts!” Naruto! You showed the Honored Grandson his first jutsu; that honor should have been mine! Not only that, you teach him a useless, perverted jutsu! I will NOT allow you to ruin my greatest assignment yet! Maybe Iruka can’t see through you, but I most certainly do, nine-tailed fox! Ebisu pushed up his glasses, irritated at the very thought of Naruto. His young apprentice, the grandson of the Third Hokage, disagreed, it seemed. He was still doing his best to train the boy, today in the Hokage’s garden. The garden was a beautiful mixture of flowers, tree, bushes, and rocks, arranged just so by a Tai Chi expert. It was an excellent place to train due to it’s size, not to mention that the high hedges offered privacy.
“Aw, you just don’t like him because he knocked you on your butt with that jutsu! And my name is “Konohamaru”, not “Honored Grandson!” Why won’t you call me by my name?! Ebisu,” the young boy with the long blue scarf and goofy-looking headgear shot at his private trainer. Man, this guy is a stiff! I can’t wait to give him the slip! Naruto’s way cooler!

Ekyt was walking by this scene when Ebisu suddenly jumped in front of him. “State your business!” Ebisu yelled to Ekyt. I hope this young man attacks, that was I can show the honored grandson respect for my abilities.
Ekyt stopped to look over at Ebisu. With the slightest bow, Ekyt said “I’m on my way to speak with Lord Hokage.” What’s with this guy?
“I don’t recall seeing you around the Leaf Village before. I’m afraid I’m going to ask you the nature of your visit, as well as for identification. I believe you are a sound ninja in disguise! I warn you, I am a Jonin of the highest rank!” Ebisu called, taking a defensive stance. Apparently, the young Genin in front of him wasn’t impressed.
“My business…is NONE of YOUR business. I’ve got a report to give to Lord Hokage, and it’s private. So, please step aside.” Ekyt responded crisply. Ekyt knew full well that this was a Tokubetsu Jonin, but his patience was gone.
“I will not, Sound ninja! You will have to go through me to get to Lord Hokage!” Ebisu started making complex taijutsu moves around Ekyt, while making ridiculous, exaggerated battle cries. He did all this while spouting off all his accomplishments to Konohamaru. Ekyt looked mildly annoyed.
THIS is a Tokubetsu Jonin? Hayate was a better example…I really don’t have time for this. Body Replacement Jutsu! Ekyt stood about thirty feet away, (Picture huge anime-style sweat drop here) watching Ebisu viciously attacking the log Ekyt had chosen as a replacement. That’s just sad…


“Interesting, isn’t it?” Kakashi remarked to Sasuke, referring to Kabuto?
“There must be more to it. Scum like him doesn’t just change,” came Sasuke’s familiar dark voice.
“He feels threatened by Chakaro’s growing power,” Kakashi said matter-of-factly.
“Threatened?” There was a tone of questioning in Sasuke’s voice. That guy doesn’t need to be threatened by anyone, I know how tough he is…
“Yes, threatened. A young ninja already on his way to replacing a still-young Kabuto as Orochimaru’s right-hand man…he’s a threat to his power.”
“What will Kabuto do? He can’t come here…” Again, Sasuke’s voice held question.
“Afraid so. A ninja of his caliber would be welcomed back. Not that his actions would be forgiven, by any means. Not right away.”

Shikamaru and Choji were the next to arrive at the meeting spot. “That was such a waste of time. What a drag,” Shikamaru complained. Next to him, Choji chomped loudly on whatever snack he was gorging at the time.
“ (chew, munch) Well, (crunch) it was worth a shot. Too bad. Hey girls! Any luck?”

Linda still hadn’t answered Sakura. She seemed to really be thinking about her words. Ino was marveling that Sakura had said all that.
Ino couldn’t help but smile to herself as she started her own though process. It looks like Sakura DID blossom. I wonder how things will be now? I mean, it’s soooo obvious she’s got a crush on this Ekyt guy. Hell, so do I! But maybe she’ll be so distracted I can move in on Sasuke! Yeah!
Sakura was the only one paying attention to Shikamaru and Choji’s arrival. “No luck here either guys.”
“How bothersome…who are we missing?,” Shikamaru wondered aloud, looking up at the cumulonimbus clouds drifting lazily through the pale blue sky.
“Tenten and Kayla, Naruto and Lee, and Kakashi-Sensei and Sasuke.” Sakura rattled off.
About thirty seconds later, Tenten and Kayla returned, also reporting no luck. Most of the group was bushed from the day’s travels, considering how big the Forest of Death was. They decided without speaking to get some sleep, as night had fallen some time ago.

Naruto swam through the water, seeing a glow that attracted his attention. What is it? Gold? He reached out a hand to grab the object, finding it to be- a scroll? Hey! HEY, this is it! The missing scroll! This is the one! Oh yeah, they’ll remember this one! Found by the next Hokage! Naruto tucked the scroll into his mouth and swam vigorously toward the surface, seeing Lee’s concerned face, distorted by the ripples in the water, waiting for him. Naruto burst up for air, breathing heavily, gulping in the fresh air gratefully. Lee started to scold him, but Naruto just held up the scroll. “Let’s get back. After THAT swim, I hear some ramen calling my name!”

Hayate was in the middle of his report when he stopped. “Uh (koff), Lord Hokage, I don’t think I should proceed about (koff koff) mission details. Not without my partner. I’ve already given my thoughts on him.”
Hokage replaced his pipe. “Understood Hayate. I will have Gemma retrieve him.” “No need sir.” Hokage looked up to see Gemma escorting Ekyt in. “Impeccable timing Ekyt.” Hokage said, smiling for a brief moment, then turning grave again. “Your report?”

Ekyt gave his report. He and Hayate had worked well together. In the process, Ekyt had learned that Hayate had no intention of taking on a full-time partner. His job title was examiner, and it was to stay that way. After Hayate had bowed and left, Ekyt relaxed a little more, despite his audience being the most powerful Shinobi in the village. Hokage, who could read people as well, if not better, than anyone in the village, immediately picked up on Ekyt’s mood.
The Third Hokage was rare in the way that he showed emotion, and encouraged others to do the same.

Hokage: Something is bothering you Ekyt.

Ekyt: (Looking up in surprise) Yes Lord Hokage, there is something…

Hokage: Perhaps I can help. What’s bothering you?

Ekyt: Well, Lord Hokage…I’m starting to feel out of place.

Hokage: (Puffing on his pipe thoughtfully) Out of place? Please, explain what you mean.

Ekyt: Well…every other Genin has a team. Not to mention a surname.

Hokage: I daresay that isn’t ALL that’s bothering you…

Ekyt: No sir. My battle…with my old student…I had always told him he would surpass
me. Because he’s naturally gifted, and he’s always worked hard. He’s already surpassed me, he would have won if his judgment hadn’t been clouded. I’m concerned because he’s a very real threat to the village…I’ve come to see as my home.

Hokage gave an understanding smile to Ekyt’s somewhat lengthy speech.

Hokage: It’s not unnatural…tell me, are your parents still alive?

Ekyt: Yes…I just can’t associate with them anymore…

Hokage: Personal?

Ekyt: No sir. I’ve just made too many enemies…they’d be in danger. And I’m not good enough to protect them.
Hokage: A surname…or clan name, is usually taken from the parents.

Ekyt: They aren’t very fond of the name Lord Hokage. That’s why I don’t use it, and neither do they.

Hokage: The clan you choose to adopt will be your decision ultimately, though I daresay there are few here who would object to having you as a member of their respective clans. As for a squad…What brought this on?

Ekyt: …The Chunin Exams.

Hokage: (laughs good naturedly) You are determined, that much I can tell. But aren’t you thinking ahead quite a bit?

Ekyt: I am, I know. But I’d like to have time to get to know my team.

Hokage: The time will come when you will have a team, and I have no doubt someday you will be chunin…and beyond. Have you any other ambitions in the mean time?

Ekyt: Well sir…I’d like to help Iruka-Sensei, I guess. I don’t know anything else I’m qualified to do, and he could probably use the help.

Hokage: In six monthes, I will allow you to join him, if you still desire. For now…enjoy your youth. You never knew when you will be forced to abandon being a boy…and become a man. Becoming a man isn’t distinguished by age, or by features. It’s distinguished by actions and words, by love and compassion, by life and death. I hope you understand.

Ekyt: Not entirely sir, but I suspect that’s the purpose.

Hokage: (Grins) Indeed it is. For now, there are many things a genin can do, aside from training, to help his village. Oh, speaking of that…you passed your last mission, and It is “A” ranked.

Ekyt: “A” ranked? Sir?

Hokage: You fought well, used jutsus at a jonin level, including the particularly difficult summoning jutsu. Not to mention a jutsu unique to you. You took control of the situation, put your teammate before yourself, and earned his respect. All while completing the mission.

Ekyt could only stare blindly at Lord Hokage. The old man was jotting down the report in Ekyt’s personal file. “You have done your village an excellent service, and I know you will continue to do so. For now…I can see there are a few very concerned for your safety. You are dismissed.” Ekyt bowed and left the room. Hokage put his pipe down and tried to mediate. Before he reached a state of homeostasis, Hokage thought about all the genin and how rapidly they were progressing.

NEXT ISSUE: WHY’S THAT SCROLL SO IMPORTANT ANYWAY?! AND WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH KABUTO AND CHAKARO? WAIT, WHAT WAS HOKAGE TALKING ABOUT ANYWAY? “THERE ARE MANY THINGS A GENIN CAN DO, BESIDES TRAINING, TO HELP HIS VILLAGE?” WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? FIND OUT NEXT TIME!

PLUS: NEJI AND HINATA’S DIFFERENCES FLARE UP AGAIN! NEJI’S DESTRUCTIVE POWER LEAVES MOST TOO SCARED TO FACE HIM. SOMEONE HAS TO STEP UP…BUT WHO?

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on October 18, 2007, 12:17:52 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Nice. HIS First A rank mission. Ah.. the memories. LOL. Great job mate!

SharinganKakashi on September 14, 2007, 2:46:47 PM

SharinganKakashi on
SharinganKakashiawesome as usual ^_^