Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 20 - Searching for a Purpose

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 20 - Searching for a Purpose

Chapter 20 - Searching for a Purpose
“I’m afraid, the circumstances being what they are, I cannot allow him to participate in the chunin exams.” Lord Hokage’s voice sounded weary. And well it should, he had been up all night. “The Uchiha boy, he cannot be stopped, only monitored. He and his cell will be allowed to participate. I’m sorry Shikamaru, but you’ll have to re-take the exams. You’re in no danger of losing the rank of Chunin, and you can withdraw at the tournament portion of the fight, without penalty.”

Asuma, Kakashi, Guy, Skikamaru, Iruka, and Kurenai all nodded their understanding.


Asuma and Shikamaru left Hokage’s sitting room. Asuma was clearly unhappy with how that went. He lit a cigarette while grumbling “What good is it to protect him? How’s he going to learn that way?”
“It’s a drag. But…if Ino and Choji need me…Ekyt WOULD go and piss of Orochimaru.”
“I’m sure it wasn’t his idea Shikamaru. Just like it wasn’t Naruto and Sasuke’s idea. Well…with those two, I couldn’t be sure, to be fair,” Asuma said thoughtfully, holding his cigarette between two fingers, watching the smoke curl and rise happily to the sky.


“Alright. Since the Chunin exams are coming up, we’re going to have a little practice, right now.” Kakashi’s announcement seemed to wake up Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura. Sasuke narrowed his eyes.
“What KIND of practice?”
Kakashi gave him an amused look. “I know you’re all familiar with the drill. Take the bells from me or no lunch.”
The group groaned as one, but only Naruto protested.
“Kakashi-sensei, we’ve already DONE this! Come on, don’t you think we can do it?” Naruto protested, his finger pointing at Kakashi.
“As I recall, you all failed this test last time…” Kakashi’s reminder (Insert sweat drops on the three) quelled any argument that Team 7 might have been able to raise. “If there’s no questions…we’ll get started. And, I hope you remember how to function as a team. That never WAS your strong suit…”


“Alright, listen up! You’re all ready to become chunin this time! Let’s do what we did a year ago…WHY do you want to become chunin?” Ah, the springtime of youth! Let’s see what’s changed since I last asked them! “Alright- Tenten, let’s start with you! Why do YOU want to be a Chunin?”
“I want to be as great a ninja as Tsunade. I want to show everyone that Kunoichi are as deadly as male Shinobi!”
“Alright! Neji, you’re up!” Guy aimed his finger toward Neji.
Neji, however, was particularly glum. “I am…not certain. The fates…don’t seem to be behind me anymore…I want to be a Chunin because…I want to beat Hinata! I want to beat Ekyt, to get revenge for him defeating me! I want to pay back Naruto! THAT is my new destiny! To defeat Ekyt, to regain my lost reputation against Naruto, and to prove that Hinata is no worth heiress!”
Guy looked a little worried. “Alright…good answer…(cough cough) Lee! What about you?!”
Lee leapt upright, bubbling over with enthusiasm. “I want to become a splendid ninja, even if taijutsu is the only jutsu at my disposal! I want to prove I can be a solid, reliable ninja, even though I have no given talent except hard work! All because THAT is MY Shinobi way!” Lee struck his thumbs-up, tooth-gleaming pose.


“Alright. All of you are ready. So…start training! Focus your chakra. Shikamaru, you too!” Asuma’s orders were met with groans, but obedience. Choji leaned over to Shikamaru.
“So, you couldn’t get a replacement, huh?”
“Lord Hokage vetoed the only one who could have handled it,” Shikamaru said in response to his friend’s question.
“Oh? Who was that?” Ino questioned.
“That Ekyt guy,” Shikamaru replied.
“Ah! He’s no Sasuke, but still…too bad, I could have rubbed him in Sakura’s face!”


Hinata woke up in the familiar, sterile hospital room. “Ah, good, you’re awake! How are you feeling?” (Whine whine, Akamaru added)
“I’m feeling much better Kiba, thank you. How are you and Shino doing?” Hinata asked shyly, looking around for Shino. He was standing near the window, staring outside.
“We’ve healed. Kurenai-sensei has been worried about you. Naruto has been by, and right now Kurenai-sensei is talking to the guy who helped you.”
“Oh, really? I should thank him…” By the tone of her voice, Kiba judged that Hinata was going to have a hard time with that.
“He, uh, won that tournament. By beating Neji,” Kiba said, smiling with his fangs out.
“Oh, that’s wonderful!”
“You shoulda seen HOW he won, THAT was hilarious! Kurenai-sensei should tell it, she can never do it with a straight face!”


Just outside the room, Kurenai was talking with Ekyt about the tournament.
“Thank you for stepping in between Neji and Hinata.”
“Glad I could help,” Ekyt answered amiably.
“I don’t know what would have happened to Hinata if you hadn’t…she’s got a big heart, but no self esteem…and Neji just…”
“Neji was being Neji. He irritates everyone; I hardly blame Hinata for wanting a piece of him.”
“By the way…just what possessed you to do a transformation jutsu against Neji?” Kurenai asked with a smile.
Ekyt grinned sheepishly behind his mask. His voice sounded more like Hayate Gekko’s though. “Well, Neji is good. I couldn’t attack him physically, and I figured that if he would attack her with such anger, what would he do to me?”
Kurenai peeked in the room. “It looks like she’s awake. How about stopping inside for a minute?”
“Will that be okay with Hinata? I mean, I can read anxiety pretty well, I’ve got a severe case myself.”
“Really? But you seem so confident! How do you”
“Trust me. When I’m defending someone, I can push it aside…but if I’m just talking…it gets kind of brutal. Poor Hinata. She has it worse than I do. But she also handles it better than I do.”

Ekyt wound up going inside the room. “I apologize, I never really introduced myself. I’m Ekyt.”
“M-my name is H-Hinata Hyuga.”
“Nice to meet you. Are you feeling better?”
“Y-yes I am. Thank you…um…if it wouldn’t be asking too much…would you tell me how you beat Neji?” Hinata stammered hopefully.
Ekyt’s visible eye closed when he smiled. “Sure, I’d be glad to. I don’t know how funny you’ll find it, but everyone else seemed to…”


It was twenty minutes until the deadline, and no one had managed to grab the bells from Kakashi. “You need to work together more than that, if you want to eat anyway. Of course, this could be part of your plan to lull me to sleep and THEN steal the bells.”
“Shadow Clone Jutsu!” All three of Kakashi students used the attack from different sides.
“Fireball jutsu!”
“Uzumaki Barrage!
“Cherry Blossoms Rage!”

The three attacks lent themselves well to each other. The fireball jutsu set the cherry blossoms on fire, which gave Naruto’s clones a chance to attack with their taijutsu. Just as the attack would have struck, the timer went off. To their surprise, Kakashi handed them all food.
“You did well today. Your teamwork was the best I’ve ever seen it, and your jutsus went well together. Excellent job.”

“So, Sasuke, are you feeling better?” Sakura asked sweetly.
“Hm.” Sasuke grunted in response.
He was better when he was possessed by Orochimaru! What does it take to get his guy’s attention, huh?! I’m not the most pretty one, but even I deserve some attention! Come on, what does it take to impress you?! Cha! Inner Sakura was having a fit, punching wildly and muttering curses.
“Glad to hear that!” Sakura answer brightly, ignoring her inner self.

“Kakashi-Sensei, what’s up? Is Shikamaru going to test or not?” Naruto wanted to know.
“He has to. There’s no replacement for him.” Kakashi replied quickly.
“Ekyt would have done it! He might have been able to make those two (Ino and Choji) pass, believe it.”
“Do NOT mention anything of this to him. Lord Hokage’s orders. He is not to know that he was considered for the Chunin Exams.”
“But why not? Wouldn’t it be a good thing,” Sakura asked, confused.
“He’s a target for Orochimaru right now.”
“So is Sasuke!”
“Sasuke is from a powerful clan, he”
“Clan’s don’t matter!”
“I mean bloodline”
“Oh come on, that’s weak, blood doesn’t mean anything!”
“Naruto, stop being difficult! It’s for his own good, and everyone else’s!” Leave it to the number one, hyperactive, knucklehead ninja to question Lord Hokage’s latest orders. It doesn’t make sense to me either Naruto, but Lord Hokage knows better than us.



“Iruka-Sensei?”
Iruka looked over his shoulder. “Ekyt? What’s up?”
“Can I sit in with your class today? With all the others off, training for the Chunin exams, I’ve really got no way of training physically,” Ekyt said.
“Sure, in fact…I could use some help…are you up to it?” Iruka asked, knowing full well what Ekyt would say.
“Sure, I’d be glad to help. Just tell me what I need to do.”


“Okay class, let’s pay attention. I’ve asked Ekyt here to show us a personalized jutsu. He’s going to demonstrate, THEN we’ll work on your own. Whenever you’re ready Ekyt.”

Ekyt was standing in front of the class. “Clone jutsu!” POOF! A clone of Ekyt popped up beside him. “Dragon’s Ember Jutsu: Clone Instigation!” The class watched as Ekyt’s clone used Ekyt’s personal jutsu. Then, Ekyt used another one: “Dragon’s Path Jutsu!” He leapt on top of the fire, chakra protecting his feet, and slid down it’s path, landing crouched on the front row of desks. “Yame!” He called, ending the jutsu (“Yame” means “Stop”).

“Now, who would like to demonstrate a jutsu for us?”
(Man, this is bogus!) Konohamaru whispered.
“I think I heard a volunteer Iruka-Sensei.” Ekyt indicated with his head who he meant.

“Konohamaru? KONOHAMARU!” Iruka shouted.
“Huh? Wha?”
“Demonstrate a jutsu!”
“Okay!”

Ekyt and Iruka watched as Konohamaru made a series of hand signs. “Sexy Jutsu!” BLAM! Konohamaru was suddenly a beautiful brunette! One catch- She (Formerly Kononahamaru) was naked! “Whaddya think boys, ya like what you see?! Such naughty boys, aren’t you? M-wah!” Blowing kisses at the end? That was too much for even the seasoned Iruka-sensei, and the stoic Ekyt. Two nosebleeds, two older ninjas flying through the air, and two ninjas landing hard. Konohamaru was clearly pleased to take after his idol. He got another chance to take after Naruto when Iruka and Ekyt got up.
“CUT THE STUPID TRICKS! THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING!” Iruka shouted.

After class, Ekyt and Iruka were cleaning up the classroom and talking. “I’m sorry about that Ekyt. I should have known he would pull that…ugh…” Iruka said, disgusted.
“Don’t be too hard on him Iruka-sensei. It’s not the most…useful…jutsu, but the way he pulled it off…he’ll be powerful some day.”
“I got the same impression. Just like Naruto,” Iruka added.
“Yeah…” Ekyt couldn’t entirely hide his depression, not from a seasoned ninja veteran like Iruka.
“Something wrong?”
“I had hoped to be ready for the chunin exams…I thought I’d have a squad by now…and not having a family name doesn’t help. It’s a disadvantage, which I don’t mind. But it also prevents me from going further, which I DO mind. It seemed like I would have been considered too…”
Iruka coughed suddenly. “I’m sorry about that. I understand your frustration. I don’t have a clan anymore, just a name. Same with Naruto, and even Sasuke.”
“I have family…I just can’t stand most of them…and the name…NONE of my family likes the name.”
“You never know, someone might ask you to take their family name someday. Like the Haruno’s for example.” Iruka couldn’t resist the jab. Ekyt rolled his good eye.
“Thanks for letting me help out today Iruka-sensei. If you need me again, let me know.”
“Thank you Ekyt. I’ll make sure you get credit for a D-Rank mission, at least. As soon as some suitable students are ready, we’ll get you a team.”


Kayla spotted Ekyt, sitting by himself, like usual. But he didn’t have a scroll in front of him, which was unusually. He was on a building about fifteen feet tall. “Easy!” Kayla made the leap, landing next to Ekyt, who had barely flinched. “Heya teach! Haven’t see ya around!”
“Oh, Kayla, hi. Yeah, I’ve been distracted.”
“Re-allly. I couldn’t tell just now! Why dontcha tell me all about it,” Kayla said in a needling voice, knowing it would get under her old sensei’s skin.
“Sorry. It’s just…well…you weren’t there…I fought Chakaro and his new master a couple times…it’s really weird…not to mention the no clan and no team thing.”
“No, really, there’s got to be more than that bothering you,” Kayla joked. Then, she turned serious. “And how long have you been holding this in.”
“Since this morning.”
“Too long, ol’ bean. Gotta be open.”
“I know, I should talk to you more. I’m sorry, things between Linda and I are almost violent, I just don’t want you caught in the middle.” Ekyt’s worry was valid, because Linda was striding up to them now…

“Kayla, stay away from him. I don’t think it is, but his retardation might be catch.”
Ekyt had heard enough. Already frustrated, he shot back with “If you paid attention in class, you would know the answer to that. Good to know Kunoichi like you are defending this village.”
“WHAT?! How about you? I’m so happy having a damned cyclops watching over us!”

Ekyt wanted to shout something back, but bit his tongue. “Forget it. I don’t have time to waste, listening to you go on about my condition…You know I’ve always done what was necessary…you of all people should know…”

Turning to Kayla, Ekyt gave a wry grin behind his mask. “Well, I’ve got to go train. Thanks for the help Kayla!” Ekyt leapt off, only a vague wave over his shoulder acknowledging his former team.


Naruto and Sasuke went home, both to empty houses. Naruto had personalized his home (He HAD lived alone for twelve years, so why not?), unlike Sasuke. Sasuke’s room was an all black box, with only the Uchiha clan symbol breaking up the monotony of the walls, marking where his door was.

Iruka too went home to an empty house. Sometimes he wondered what kept him alive…one day Lord Hokage had told him. He recited the words, while an image of the Third Hokage ran through his head, saying the same words.
“You’re a pillar of this town Iruka. All these people…they are my family, you are my family. Therefore, they are YOUR family, should you choose to accept them. They all love you Iruka. You’re a pillar of this village.”
Iruka smiled as he leaned back on his pillow, finally letting his body go through it’s paces to go to sleep.


Ekyt was alone too. His home was an apartment of sorts, much like the others had. Except just about every inch of three walls was covered with scrolls and posters. The posters showed how Chakra flowed, the Eight Inner Gates, pressure points, and the like. Next to his bed was a low wooden bookcase, which doubled as his nightstand. Books and scrolls of all kinds inhabited it.

Tonight, sleep didn’t come. “Why am I here? What am I doing to help? I don’t like not having a purpose, and there isn’t anyone to train with anymore! I need to think of something…but what? I’ll have to talk with Iruka-Sensei, maybe he can suggest something,” Ekyt said. Talking to yourself…not good. Unconciously, he shifted the red handkerchief that Sakura had given him to a higher position on his left arm.

For now, it’s time to get some rest. Purpose can wait until tomorrow morning. I don’t imagine Iruka-Sensei would be thrilled if I were to bother him at three am with a question that might not even have an answer.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment