Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 24 - Unstable Emotions

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 24 - Unstable Emotions

Chapter 24 - Unstable Emotions
Ekyt explained his ideas to the room full of jonin. He had never been more thankful that these people were accepting. His ideas weren’t your standard answer, at least not among genin.

“I would assess their likely objective. In the case of the Sound Ninja, it would be “Kill Lord Hokage” and “Kidnap Sasuke Uchiha,” most likely. Then I’d take action to make sure neither of those became reality. I would let Lord Hokage know first, since he is the one who would have to handle Orochimaru. Then I’d follow his orders, if he gave me any. If not, I’d act on my own and defend the Village, or try to intercept Sasuke’s attackers.”

Asuma raised his eyebrows.
“Not exactly the usual response, is it Kakashi?”
Kakashi shook his head.
“Not at all the usual response. This one makes sense.”
Ekyt brightened at that, but was curious as to what everyone else said.
“How is my answer different?” Ekyt asked.
“Normally, it’s “I’ll kick their asses!”, not “Mission first”,” Asuma answered.

Ekyt looked out the window, partially out of anxiety, partially out of embarrassment at the praise. It was a nice day. The sun was high up in a light blue sky dotted with big, fluffy-white pillows of clouds. The temperature was pleasant, at least by Ekyt’s standards. He liked it colder outside, like an early fall temperature. He turned his attention back to the senseis. They were pondering the fate of their various charges. Guy was pushing Lee as the top. Asuma was talking about Shikamaru’s genius. Kurenai was fretting a little bit about Hinata, even though she was saying how much she had changed and grown. Kakashi talked about his whole team very briefly, calling them “incredibly sharp and vastly improved” (Sakura), “The most naturally talented ninja since the fourth Hokage” (Sasuke) and “The number one Loud, Hyperactive, Knucklehead Ninja, who had actually improved” (Naruto). All the talk about the teams and their personal guesses for who would be best brought Ekyt back to his team…

(FLASHBACK!)

Ekyt: Okay Chakaro, good job. Just remember, don’t drop your guard after you’ve drawn the sword. No need to bring the tip past the enemy’s eyes when drawing upward across the chest and face, or doing a one-handed jodan cut to the head.

Chakaro: Alright. Thanks Sensei.

Ekyt looked over at Linda. She gave him a brief smile. These days, things were too akward between them to do much of anything.

Why did I do it? Why did I go and kiss her? I knew she was out of my league…How can we just be “friends” ? I’ve never loved anyone, not in this context…she’s so beautiful…and she’s a warrior…I should have remembered that she’s a Master and I’m not even a real sensei…it’s my fault…it always is… Ekyt’s thoughts weren’t new, he always had them. They were just as disturbing as ever.


(END OF FLASHBACK)


“Alright, back to transformation jutsus. Emotions can fuel your chakra use. So, I want you to transform into someone you hate. Let’s have…Linda Mawashi up first,” Iruka said kindly. He noticed how she had become careful of her dress since she had started dating Lee. But a school uniform? Who knew Lee had it in him? “Alright Linda, whenever you’re ready- become an enemy.”
Linda took the necessary position and called out “transform!” When the smoke cleared, she had transformed into Ekyt. The class muttered, not especially liking her choice, but admitting it was a good transformation.
“Very…very good Linda. You can have a seat now,” Iruka said, as kindly as a possible. He didn’t appreciate her picking Ekyt as the target, but that was the way it was.


(FLASHBACK)

Linda’s thoughts were a bit different. He’s such a nice boy…and talented. He knows more than most of my senseis, even though he’s no black belt by traditional terms. He kissed me…He’s a sweetheart, I’m just not ready for a boyfriend…I hope he knows that when I AM ready, I want a boy like him…(giggle) Now he’s all akward around me…goofy kid…cute though…

Linda shook herself out of her thoughts to look at her apprentice. Kayla Donalds was, as usual, staring at Chakaro with a keen interest when she wasn’t being instructed. Linda shook her head, smiling tolerantly.


(END FLASHBACK)


“Okay, up next…Kayla Donalds,” Iruka called out. She’s got potential…but she’s a dreamer…let’s see how she does.
“Iruka-sensei, I don’t really have any enemies…maybe this will do. Transform!” Kayla had taken the form of Chakaro, complete with a scowl and his sound-ninja hitai-ate around his waist.


(FLASHBACK)

Kayla adjusted her gi, vaguely listening to Linda-sensei talk. She was talented enough to get away with daydreaming during class. Not that she could help it, she reasoned.

Oh yeah…he’s hot! That guy is gonna be mine! Watch yourself Chakaro Tamaki, once Kayla Donalds spots HER guy, he doesn’t get away!


(END FLASHBACK)

“…Doesn’t get away…I’ve got to talk to someone about this…I feel like leaving, and joining Chakaro…Ekyt, of course! I have to tell him!” Kayla exclaimed, running off, knowing exactly where to find him. He would show up there eventually…



“If it’s alright to ask…was I ever considered for the chunin exams?” Ekyt’s question caught the jonin offguard. Kakashi, who was kind of in charge of Ekyt’s case, gave the others a certain look before speaking himself.
“You were, yes. Lord Hokage had approved it, but then Orochimaru managed to possess Sasuke, and now he’s after you for halting his scheme.”
Ekyt looked up slowly. It was clear he was frustrated. Asuma spoke up next.
“I know it’s not much in the way of consolation, but Shikamaru wanted you to replace him at the chunin exams.”
Ekyt was glad the instructors couldn’t see his face, he was sure it was burning with anger. He didn’t say that, though. Instead, he said “Excuse me, but I’d better go. I promised Iruka I would come to class today.” With a bow and a word of thanks, Ekyt walked out the door.


As soon as the door shut, the collective jonin shook their heads. “After talking to him…he would have been a chunin for sure. ‘Assess their real goals’? That’s not a genin thinking. And we all know where his skills are. They’re at a high level for a genin. The only thing holding him back is something out of his control.” Asuma’s words got a nod of general approval. As one, the jonin got up to watch the exams.


Lord Hokage felt all of his sixty-plus years. Sitting in front of him were two Sound village fugitives. One was Kabuto Yakushi, who everyone knew as a traitor. The other was a kunoichi, Akuhei Fujoshi, who claimed (and, to be fair) had proof that she was a genin from the Sound village.
“Explain your situation one more time Kabuto.”
Kabuto adjusted his glasses. For once, he didn’t have his cocky demeanor about him.
“Akuhei and I left because Orochimaru doesn’t see us as his top servants anymore. For some reason, knowing this gave us a jolt of common sense. Now, all we want is to have normal training. And, to be honest, protection until we get settled.”
“And you plan to continue training…you are both genin?”
“Yes Lord Hokage.”
Hokage had an idea of what to do with these two now. But he needed two more people’s approval first.


Ekyt wandered to an abandonded training area. His frustration was eating at him, so he quickly stretched and warmed up. He did his punches and kicks, but he could feel his extra chakra (Blue Flame Chakra) welling up. He let it flow to his right leg. He let loose with a side kick against the tree stump he was using as a training partner. CRACK! It cracked, then fell to the side.
So I WAS going to be allowed to test…and it didn’t happen because of things I had no control over. It’s frustrating…so incredibly frustrating…


“Alright, listen up! I’m Anko Mitarashi, the exam proctor for the second test in the chunin exams. I’m only going to give these instructions once, so pay attention. Your objective is to enter the Forest of Death. While this is mostly a survival drill, you will also be required to obtain two scrolls. One that is labeled “heaven” and one that is labeled “earth”. There are twenty teams, but only ten sets of scrolls. That means that half of you will have been eliminated at the close of this exam. Now, before we begin, please come up and get a medical waver. One member from each of your three-person cells will also get your team’s scroll. This means that you start with either a heaven or an earth scroll. You must then obtain the type of scroll you don’t already have. Any questions? No? Good. The exam begins in two hours time.”


“Ekyt?”
Ekyt controlled his chakra again, turning to find Kayla looking at him nervously from the edge of the clearing.
“Kayla, what’s up?” Something’s wrong…she’s never quiet like this…
Kayla was playing with her kunai holster, nervously opening and closing it.
“Ekyt…I miss Chakaro. I- I’m going to go to him.”
That was just about the last thing that Ekyt wanted to hear.
“You know what he’s become Kayla. I know you like him, but there muse be someone else.”
“No! Chakaro Tamaki and I were meant to be!” Kayla couldn’t explain why she was arguing so vehemently.
“Are you prepared to kill?” Ekyt asked, his voice deadly-calm/
“Wh-what do you mean?”
“Chakaro is going to ask you to kill for him. And he has no mercy in him. I can’t stop you Kayla. All I ask is that you REALLY think this through. And…whatever you decide…provided you’re not in the service of Chakaro…you can talk to me. Okay?”
Kayla brightened, feeling a little perkier. “Thanks so much Ekyt. I knew I could count on you!”



NEXT ISSUE: EKYT GETS A VISIT FROM LORD HOKAGE! AND WHAT’S UP WITH KAYLA?! PLUS- THE START OF THE CHUNIN EXAMS! FIND OUT NEXT TIME!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment