Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 33 - The Price You Pay

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 33 - The Price You Pay

Chapter 33 - The Price You Pay
All night, Ekyt tossed and turned. He was happy Sakura had finally gotten Sasuke’s attention. But every time he moved, his broken leg reminded him of his own failure. Hadn’t he made the right choice? He had saved lives.
One damn vote…damn that Ebisu! I’ve had it!
Ekyt pushed himself out of bed, grabbing his crutch while tossing on his vest. After struggling for a moment, Ekyt was ready to gimp his way to Lord Hokage’s office. He had an idea. Well, two of them actually. But he needed Lord Hokage’s OK for both.

“Be more careful. You can’t afford to be careless. You’ve already riled up the Leaf Village, and you’ve picked a fight you shouldn’t have even looked at.”
“He shoved me!” Hyojoun snarled. Naoki gave him a rough push into his spot.
“Shut up while Ryu-sensei is talking, will you?!” she hissed, paying rapt attention.
“Alright. Now, PLEASE don’t do anything stupid. Let’s just get through this without incident. You’ve all mastered your chakra, there’s nothing to prove, right?”
Mike, Naoki, and Hyojoun nodded. Ryu put a hand to his temple.
No chance in hell I got through to them just now…I haven’t before, why would this time be any different. They’ve got skill, and drive. They just need common sense, and a little more respect. I doubt any of them would have made the choice to forfeit a match to save someone else. Because they’ve mastered their chakra, they would have tried to do both…and probably pulled it off…


Ekyt limped through town. He had gained some status as a hero. The hero part was nice, but he wasn’t in it for the kudos and the medals. Right now, his thought process was too erratic anyway. He didn’t even notice the Shine Village’s group collectively stare when he hobbled by.


Sakura collapsed into bed. She had fought hard, impressed a bunch of people, and was up for the rank of chunin.
Not to mention Sasuke’s attention! This time, I’m gonna reel him in! Cha! Sakura thought, smiling to herself. Something outside the window caught her eye. A silhouette. Feeling brave, she reared back and threw a kunai at it.


Ekyt kept limping forward. Suddenly, a kunai flew at him from one side. He hit the deck, stifling a curse as his broken leg went down hard. His graceful leap had turned into a crumple. To rub salt in the wound, the damn thing had hit him in the shoulder anyway.
“What the hell was that all about?” he muttered, plucking the kunai out and tossing it down. He pulled himself up using his crutch and continued his walk. Or, tried to. About five seconds later, someone leapt at him from out of the bushes.


“Ha! Oops!” Sakura put on the brakes in mid air.
“Heheh, sorry about that Ekyt,” Sakura said sheepishly.
“I was wondering who threw the kunai at me. I should have known, only you would be smart enough to factor in my movement,” Ekyt replied placidly, ignoring his bleeding shoulder.
“I’m just a little excited tonight,” Sakura replied cheerfully.
Then it hit her. Tonight. Two things.
“Thank you so much for your help. You were right! Sasuke noticed me!” she exclaimed.
“You gave him a run for his money Sakura. You’re talented naturally, you just had to crack that shell.”
Ekyt kept moving, his mind fixated on reaching the Third Hokage’s office before dawn.
“It’s four in the morning! Where are you headed?” Sakura questioned.
“Lord Hokage’s.”
“He’s not giving you a mission is he? That’s a broken leg, I mean”
“No, no, nothing like that. I’m on my way of my own accord,” Ekyt assured her, limping gamely on.
“Well…let me at least walk you there. It’s the least I can do, after the week of help you gave me,” Sakura said, falling into step next to him.
“Thank you,” Ekyt said simply.
“So, what are you up to?” Sakura asked, a little more firmly this time.
“I’m going to propose an idea to Lord Hokage. And, if I have my way, fight a certain jonin.”
“What? A jonin? Why?”
“You…haven’t heard?” Ekyt asked, regretting mentioning it.
“Heard what?”


Ryu had seen Ekyt limp by. It occurred to him that he should say something to the genin. They had talked briefly, and it was apparent their thought process was similar in some ways. Ryu caught up just as Ekyt was explaining what happened to Sakura.


“One vote…one vote is the reason I didn’t get the green vest,” Ekyt explained, having finished his story.
“One vote…and you know which jonin it was? I know it wasn’t Kakashi-sensei…” Sakura added.
“No. Ebisu.”
“Ebisu? That private trainer? Ekyt, don’t take that personally, Ebisu is an @$$ to everyone!” Sakura said with gusto.
Ekyt chuckled slightly. Suddenly, he shifted his weight, a kunai knife in his free hand.
“Good morning. How about you join us in the light?” Ekyt barked.
“Leaf Villagers are tense today,” Ryu muttered, grinning. He hadn’t exactly been sneaking up.
Ekyt lowered the kunai.
“Sorry about that. I suppose I’m a little…wound,” Ekyt said in his mid-toned voice.
“I hadn’t noticed,” Ryu murmured sarcastically.
“Anyone would be before a meeting with Lord Hokage,” Sakura said, some edge to her voice. She didn’t trust Ryu yet.


“And what are you three doing out?” A stern voice asked.
Sakura froze up. Ekyt and Ryu turned to see who it was. Ekyt smirked.
“Ebisu-sensei, just the person I was hoping to see, for a change,” Ekyt told the tokubetsu jonin.
“Watch your tongue! No genin should be out at this hour! And what about you?” Ebisu shot at Ryu.
“I’m the Kage from the Shine Village. I have every right to be here, the Third was my sensei. Call it a social call.”
“I don’t trust you…” Ebisu started.
“I haven’t bitten anyone in a while,” Ryu stated, “I hope you don’t give me reason to break my streak.”
Ebisu pushed his glasses up on his face. “Well, I can’t do anything to you. But THESE two, I can punish.”
“Sakura was simply escorting me. She’s my primary medic,” Ekyt told Ebisu. He continued with a lie. “She tried to talk me out of coming. So, if anyone is to blame, it’s me.”
Sakura shot a glance at Ekyt. Ekyt…you’re protecting me? Why would…Forget it. You’re a good guy Ekyt… she thought, smiling to her self again.
“Ebisu-sensei, I’m here for a reason. I respectfully disputed your reasoning for denying me the rank of chunin. Now, I respectfully request a sparring match,” Ekyt finished, not breaking his glare.
Ebisu laughed. “You’re only a genin! You couldn’t defeat me! But I’ll humor you. When and where, and who’s the proctor.”
“Right here, right now, and I don’t care,” Ekyt shot back.
Ebisu laughed even harder. “You’ve got a broken leg! You couldn’t handle me with two good legs!”
“Care to prove that?” Ekyt replied calmly.
Ebisu stopped laughing. “Fine. I’ll make you a deal. If you can last two minutes with me, I’ll change my vote.”
“Deal.”


“Guys, this sucks! I’m tired of sitting around! Let’s follow Ryu-sensei!” Hyojoun declared.
“You idiot, he told us to stay OUT of trouble, not shout it’s name!” Naoki reminded him in her own incomparable way.
“I agree with Hyojoun, Naoki. Ryu-sensei could be attacked. I don’t trust the Leaf Village yet. Let’s follow him…”
Mike’s words shocked Naoki. But she agreed to it, more to annoy Hyojoun than anything.


Lord Hokage was humming a catchy tune. He had woken up in a good mood. His face dropped at the stare-down between Ebisu and Ekyt.
“It’s too early for this,” Hokage moaned.
Immediately, Ebisu ran up and started complaining about Ekyt. Ekyt, for his part, just knelt on the ground respectfully, waiting for Lord Hokage’s attention.


Hokage motioned for Ekyt to stand up.
“Did you challenge Ebisu to a match?”
“Yes Lord Hokage.”
“And you want this match to take place now, on a broken leg.”
“Yes Sir.”
“Why?” Lord Hokage asked. He had to smile.
“I feel the need to prove something to myself…I know I shouldn’t be, but I wasn’t happy with my performance during the chunin exams,” Ekyt admitted. “I will never regret the choice I made…but that means I never got a definitive answer to “Am I good enough?” And, to be honest, I feel that Ebisu-Sensei holds a personal grudge against me, and that a sparring match will clear the air.”
“I will not permit this match to happen,” Lord Hokage said firmly. “Ebisu is a Tokubetsu jonin, it wouldn’t even resemble a fair match.”
Ekyt REALLY bit his tongue. Being careful to keep his tone respectful (Despite Ebisu’s smug look), Ekyt said “Understood,” before limping away. Then he stopped and turned around.
“Lord Hokage…who would the match be unfair to?” Ekyt asked.
Sakura and Ryu cracked up. Ebisu lost his cool and took a swipe at Ekyt. Ekyt ducked it and grabbed Ebisu’s arm, pulling the jonin off balance, and then in. Ekyt’s elbow met Ebisu’s face, then his backfist glances off Ebisu’s temple.
“Enough.”
The one sharp word from Lord Hokage stopped the minor fight.
“Ekyt, you shouldn’t have baited Ebisu. Ebisu…You should have more control than that. Since you two can’t get along, I’ll let this match happen. But ONLY after your leg had healed Ekyt. You are both dismissed. And if I’ve heard you’ve attacked each other before the match, there will be consequences.”


MORE TO COME!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on October 28, 2007, 4:26:26 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Nice. Lol. I'm threatening to bite even here. Lol. I love this chapter. I can both staring daggers at one another then the closet perv running to the Lord Hokage to tattel. Lol. This is getting ever better. I can't wait for the match.