Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 34 - Something Had to Give

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 34 - Something Had to Give

Chapter 34 - Something Had to Give
Sakura had never seen Ekyt so upset. He had gone to Ebisu for an honorable match, and it gone thrown in his face.
Ekyt limped over to Lord Hokage’s, the same as he did every morning.
Hokage looked up in surprise. “Ekyt, what are you doing here?”
Ekyt looked confused. “I’m just looking to see what missions I have Lord Hokage.” He had done this every day.
Lord Hokage shook his head. “Your leg is broken, I couldn’t, in good conscience, give you a mission. And no, even if you were a chunin, I wouldn’t give it to you. The only mission you have is watching the end of the chunin exams, is you want.”


So he did. Ekyt gimped his way up to the catwalk, watching by himself in a far corner. He stared murderously out across the field, waiting for a match that he admitted he was looking forward to.
Naoki (SharinganKakashi) vs. Temari was looking to be the best Kunoichi vs Kunoichi match of the exams.
To everyone’s surprise, Temari walked out onto the floor, her arm in the air.
“I refuse to fight this match as a member of the Sand Village. My brothers have made despicable choices. As of now, I have no village,”
The crowd murmured in surprise. Some shouted nasty things at Temari. She drew a kunai from the holster on her thigh and dragged a line across the Sand Village’s symbol.

Gaara couldn’t have cared less, but Kankuro lost it. He rushed onto the floor, sending Temari soaring with a punch. The girl struggled to her feet, only to be hit again. She hit the wall hard, blood on the corners of her mouth.


Ekyt looked around. Wasn’t anyone going to help her?


Kankuro’s fist drew back for the Coup de Grace.
“I always knew you would go soft on us. Die, dog!”
WHAM!


Kankuro was trying to pry his head out of the wall. A pained-looking Ekyt held him in. (Picture when Guy rescued Naruto at the chunin exams)
“Will someone PLEASE help her?” he shouted, sounding angry.
What kind of heartless bastards are they? he thought, referring to the crowd.
Kankuro succeeded in getting his out of the wall after a few moments of effort. No one had moved yet, possible out of shock, some out of fear of the Sand Village, and some out of hatred.
“Get out the way! This is between us Sand Villagers!” Kankuro shouted.
Ekyt stood in the way, one hand raised in a guard.
“She’s not a part of your village any longer. She’s a friend. It’s between you and me now,” Ekyt said calmly.

Belatedly, the stunned Leaf Village jonin leapt onto the floor, pulling Kankuro and Ekyt apart.

Ekyt glared at Kankuro, daring him to make a move, before he pushed his way over to Temari.
“You alright?” He asked, bending down as much as his leg would allow.
“I’m…fine. Thanks,” Temari replied, uncharacteristically unconfident. “Why did you help me?”
Ekyt shrugged. “It’s the right thing to do. Besides, I count you as a friend.”
Temari shook her head. “After all the crap I’ve done to your Village…kid, you must be a dumbass to think I’m a friend.”
Ekyt shrugged again. “Not the first time I’ve been called that.”
He offered Temari a hand up.


Lord Hokage smiled slightly.
“That must be the first time I’ve ever seen a display of sportsmanship like that.”
Next to him, Ebisu leapt out onto the floor.
“Ebisu, don’t…let’s see where this goes…” Lord Hokage sighed.


Ekyt turned around. He was suddenly pushed into a wall by Ebisu.
“I’ve got you now! Aiding a known rogue! You’ll go to jail for this!”
Ekyt narrowed his eyes. “If you don’t let go of me, right now…”
“You’ll what? I have your arms, you can’t use any jutsus! Your leg is broken.”
Ekyt used his good leg to knee Ebisu in the groin. Ebisu fell to the ground, clutching his crotch, tears forming under his glasses.
“Taijutsu, Ebisu-sensei.”
The other jonin snickered. They couldn’t help it. Seeing that pompous @$$ rolling on the ground, crying because a genin kicked him with suck an obvious strike…it was hilarious!


Lord Hokage knew where this was going.
“Ryu…kindly go proctor this match. I knew I couldn’t stop those two…” Hokage said, smiling despite the severity of his words.
Ryu nodded, looking forward to the match himself.
“Well, let me at least leave you with some protection sensei. Summoning jutsu!”
KABLAM!
A HUGE timber wolf was sitting obediently near Ryu’s feet.
“Stay here. This shouldn’t take long,” Ryu barked to his summon.


“Alright! FINALLY! GO EKYT, BEAT HIM! HEY, HEY, USE THE SEXY JUTSU!” Naruto shouted.
BLAM! “Will you cut that out, he doesn’t use that perverted jutsu, he’s not like you!” Sakura shouted.
“Relax Sakura. He’ll be fine without the jutsu.” Sasuke’s dry tone caused hearts to appear in Sakura’s eyes.
Cha! Ekyt, thank you again!”


Temari was being checked out by the Leaf Village’s medical team. They were going to carry her out on a stretcher when she stopped them.
“I want to see this match,” she said, rolling off the stretcher, using her fan as a crutch of sorts.

Lord Hokage realized he couldn’t just sit there anymore. “Come,” he said to his companion.


Ebisu and Ekyt were about two inches apart, snarling threats back and forth. Lord Hokage landed next to them.
“I had forbidden this match from happening until Ekyt’s leg was healed. Ekyt, if you are prepared to take the risks, the match will take place now. Although I admire your chivalry, kicking a sensei…there…is not acceptable. However, you are not in trouble, as Ebisu physically provoked you. But I must stand by my jonin’s judgment.” No matter how well deserved that kick was. He has such respect for the other instructors…I guess Ebisu rubs him the wrong way…he rubs everyone the wrong way…but he’s talented…I hope I haven’t let Ekyt bite off more than he can chew…though something tells me he’ll be fine…

“You can’t win, you know. And your reasoning isn’t justified! It is the Sand Village’s right to hunt down their own,” Ebisu said in that grating voice of his.
“I’m aware of that sensei. But, I’m also aware of my Shinobi way. And that does not allow me to stand by and let my friends be murdered. As far as I’m concerned, there is very little justification for murder. This is not one of those times when it is justified,” Ekyt replied, not giving an inch.
Ekyt gulped inwardly. A Tokubetsu jonin…I’ve never even sparred with one. No matter how much of a jackass, he’s still talented, and I’ve only got one leg in working order. Then again, I only have to last two minutes, and even then I only have to land one strike. But that’s not good enough for me…


Ryu (alchemest1) and Hayate exchanged glances. Hayate stepped to the side, letting the Shine Village’s Kage proctor the match. In a rare display, Hayate stepped to Ekyt’s side of the ring. He glanced at Lord Hokage, indicating respect, but stayed put.

“Begin!” Ryu called.

“Hold on! He can’t have that, it’s not a ninja tool!” Ebisu was pointing at Ekyt’s crutch.
“YOU SADISTIC SON OF A” Naruto began, before Kakashi clamped down on his mouth.
Before anyone else could say anything, Ekyt tossed the crutch to the side.
“Any other objections?” Ekyt asked calmly.
“No, but I WILL give you one last chance to drop this,” Ebisu taunted.
“Not a chance,” Ekyt replied tersely.

Ebisu leapt next to Ekyt, aiming a kick at his hurt leg. Ekyt expected this, but could do little about it. He focused his chakra into his good leg, leaping up over the strike. He shifted his weight in mid-leap, aiming a punch down at Ebisu’s face. Ebisu stepped to the side and tried to tag Ekyt with a side kick. It landed successfully, knocking Ekyt backward a good distance.
Ebisu rushed toward Ekyt again. He was cocky, Ekyt saw, and he saw how to use that. “Shadow Clone Jutsu! Dragon’s Ember Encampment Wall, Clone Instigation!”
Ekyt’s clone used the jutsu. A wall of crackling, dancing red and orange flames landed in front of the two Ekyt’s.
“Please, some parlor trick won’t help you!” Ebisu shouted. “Water Style: Tidal Crest Jutsu!”
That extinguished the flame, leaving Ekyt exposed. Ebisu threw a kunai, hitting the genin in the heart. POOF! He disappeared.
At the same instant, the REAL Ekyt had used a transformation jutsu.
“Hey! Closet Perv!”
Ebisu whipped around, seeing Naruto on the field.
“Here’s your favorite jutsu! Ninja Harem Jutsu!”
Ebisu covered his eyes. Carefully he opened them again. He gasped as he saw Ekyt’s right fist inches away. Ebisu kicked Ekyt hard in the chest, just as his fist would have made contact with his face. On the way down, Ekyt’s outstretched hand tagged Ebisu’s hitai-ate.
Ekyt had landed on his bad leg, which distracted him long enough for Ebisu to land a critical strike.
“Senbon Barrage Jutsu!” Ebisu called. From his sleeves, thousands of senbon aimed for the immobile Ekyt.
More than half hit. The already injury-fatigued Ekyt forced himself to his feet, needles sticking out of every part of him.
“Why don’t you just quit? Admit I’m better, and that you were wrong.”
“You’re a jonin, of course you’re better, at least in terms of experience. And I wasn’t wrong! So SHUT UP!”
Ekyt’s hands weaved together. Shadow clones. Three of them leapt at Ebisu, who fended them off.
As they disappeared in a cloud of smoke, Ekyt was crouching at Ebisu’s feet. He kicked upward. Ebisu danced just out of range. Then he proceeded to earn the ire of everyone in the building.
He used a heel kick to crack Ekyt’s broken leg.


Ryu winced. “This fight is over,” he said in a hushed tone.


Ekyt was already trying to get up.
“It’s over,” Ryu repeated. He didn’t need more violence to contend with.
Temari was the first one to Ekyt’s side, helping him up, just as he had done for her.
“That was the damndest thing I’ve ever seen kid. I was right about you- I told Kankuro and Gaara you’d be special. And…thanks. You came to my defense when no one else would.”
Ekyt wasn’t totally conscious, but he managed to ask Temari “What are you going to do?”
Temari ruffled his hitai-ate. “I’m gonna take some time to clear my head. Thanks again kid.” She walked out with a vague wave over her shoulder.


Ekyt bowed toward the two Kage and Ebisu, muttering a congratulations, not adding the “you bastard” after it, like he wanted. He retrieved his crutch and walked out of the building. Under his mask, his face was burning with anger.
“Serves you right! I hope you learned your lesson!” Ebisu declared.
Lee, Naruto, Kakashi, and even Hayate grabbed Ekyt, who finally lost control with the smug sensei.
“Wait until my leg heals, you prick! Kicking it was a low blow, but I can live with that! Consider this: A genin came within a ¼ inch of actually beating you at your own bet!”
“Ekyt, please, I know how he is, but let it go!” Lee urged.
Ekyt let the matter drop. He didn’t offer any other signs of respect, which wasn’t normal for him.
He leapt up on the roof. From there, he leapt across the town, roof to roof, until he saw the Forest of Death. He passed it, looking almost longingly at it.
Finally, he reached home. He stripped quickly, threw on his nightwear, and then sat in bed, picking up his scrolls and studying them. One of them seemed to poke fun at the situation, by declaring that this jutsu should only be learned by a chunin or higher. Of course, Ekyt was going to learn it.
At about 2:00 am, a message arrived by bird, from Lord Hokage. Ekyt didn’t read it right away. He found himself angry with the old man. He actually picked Ebisu? Ekyt guessed it was a letter, reprimanding him for his actions. Big deal. Oh well, there’s always six monthes from now. I’ll be a chunin some day. It’s got to be sooner rather than later, right?

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on October 30, 2007, 5:04:45 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Nice! That match was priceless mate. Perfectly fitting that pompous asses style. The part with Temari was great! Just as you described it! I'm liked the way you split the Hokage's mind. That was brilliant having him agree with Ekyt but side with closet pervert. I ALSO like how Hayate chose a side. So unlike him but so proper at the same time! I can't wait for the next chapter! Oh and thanks for letting me proctor the match. Lol. Nice work working in the wolf too!