Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 13 - The Emergency Meeting

Hell on Earth...The Land of Herbs sends for a medic-nin and a task force. Sakura, Lee, and Ekyt draw the task. The peaceful land has no enemies, and is wealthy. So what sadistic monster wants to ruin it?

Chapter 13 - The Emergency Meeting

Chapter 13 - The Emergency Meeting
“Your name?”
“Kaguya, Ekyt,” came the dry reply. “As you know full well Ebisu.”
The irritated Tokubetsu jonin pushed his glasses up higher on his face.
“Now see here, I will NOT put up with your sarcasm! I don’t care if you ARE near jonin-level, I still outrank you at the moment, and you will do as I tell you.”
Ekyt rolled his good eye. “Oh please. Look, I have an appointment with them (points at door), and you’re making me late. If YOU want to explain to the council that you were busy harassing me, then go ahead and keep talking. Otherwise, move.”
Not wanting to face an irritated Lady Tsunade, Ebisu stepped aside, grumbling. He had stopped Ekyt’s promotion to chunin for four years, all because of Ekyt’s friendship with Naruto. Ekyt had displayed skills far beyond chunin level, and it became ridiculous to hold him back any longer.


This morning, class was being taught by the Third Hokage. Ekyt was needed in an emergency meeting.


Lady Tsunade, along with Iruka (A new jonin in this arc), Kakashi, Asuma, Guy, Hayate Gekko, Anko Mitarashi, and Ibikki Morino were waiting, making some small talk until Ekyt arrived.
“You’re early, Ekyt. Not that I’m surprised,” Tsunade added.
Ekyt assumed a kneeling position at the far end of the table. He took the time to glance around the room as he had walked in, and it was ornate, even by such a formal occasion’s standards. There were various scrolls all over the walls, most of them ancient and made of rice paper. Behind Lady Tsunade’s chair there was an enormous mural dedicated to the First Hokage.
The room itself seemed hidden. Ekyt guessed that meetings of great importance took place here. Meetings about things that didn’t leave the room…maybe even things that were evil.
Lady Tsunade looked to Iruka for a moment. “Iruka, your squad has been selected. They will be joining you soon. However, there are more pressing matters…”
Lady Tsunade began speaking. To Ekyt’s surprise, she was talking to him. Not only that, she was speaking to him as though he was one of her advisors.


“I’ve come to hold your opinions in a high regard. In this case, you are the person in the best position to give an opinion. Not to sound formal, but I ask you to sit among us on the council today, because this topic is very grave, and it could have consequences for you.” Lady Tsunade’s chilling tone caused everyone in the room to shift uncomfortably.
While Lady Tsunade sat on a low chair, the rest of the Shinobi knelt or sat on cushions. Only when indicated to do so did Ekyt take a cushion for himself. He settled as quickly as possible so that Lady Tsunade could continue speaking.


“As you are aware, the Leaf Village’s strength is weakening. Our business are down, and we hardly have enough ninja to meet the quota of missions. Graduation rates are down because enrollment is down. Ekyt, this is where your opinion comes in handy. You filled in for Iruka while he tried his hand at leading a squad. WHY is enrollment down? And what can we do to pick it up?”
Ekyt gulped down dregs of fear. He knew (and was friends with) everyone on the council. But this was his first time sitting in, and everyone suddenly seemed a lot bigger and scarier.
“Enrollment is down because of fear. Some of our most supportive clans are stopping their children from enrolling. After the Sound Village attacked, everyone saw the families that had been broken apart.”
The council muttered a general agreement before Ekyt continued.
“As for how to raise enrollment again…Everyone knows the Shinobi’s path is not easy. We need to put a positive spin on that, show them that it’s not all doom and gloom. Secondly, the town needs a hero. No offense to you, Lady Tsunade, but there isn’t anyone who has done that one, incredible thing, or made that one great sacrifice to save the village.”

Tsunade stood up and began to pace.
“I’ll look into the matter Ekyt, although I suspect your judgment is correct. Now, the second issue…we’ve heard rumblings that the Sound Village plans to attack us. And these rumors are well founded. They’ve nearly doubled their strength, while we’ve lost some of ours.”
The council nodded; this wasn’t news to them.
“The problem- Orochimaru is personally leading the charge, and he’s bringing his triumvirate with him…”


Kakashi and Ekyt exchanged glances. They knew what that meant- For Kakashi, Sasuke Uchiha. For Ekyt, Chakaro Tamaki. Two Leaf Villagers who had chosen Orochimaru’s promise of power over the Leaf Village. Kakashi had trained Sasuke, and Ekyt had trained Chakaro, so this was personal for both of them.
The third part of the triumvirate, Kabuto Yakushi, worried everyone. He had been compared to Kakashi on many occasions. Kakashi was the best hope against Kabuto. But if Sasuke was involved, Kakashi might be distracted. Against someone as skilled as Kabuto, that would be fatal.

“I’ve heard everyone else’s opinion on this- but what about you?” Tsunade asked, again speaking to Ekyt. To her shock, Ekyt spoke up immediately, conviction in his voice.
“We need proof that this is going to happen. Once we’ve proved it, we can launch a preemptive strike to buy time, build our forces back up. We just need to do enough damage to set Orochimaru back. There’s no one in Otogakure who could be considered a civilian, so we wouldn’t have to be as fussy about we destroyed.”
Tsunade considered Ekyt’s words with a thoughtful expression.
“Anyone have an argument?” she called after a moment’s thought.
“No. In fact, I think he’s right. And I’d like to suggest Shikamaru for the mission. Thinking strategically is his thing,” Asuma offered.
Tsunade again nodded in assent. “This mission is going to take a good amount of people. Since we’re lacking, we’ve got to pick strategically. Kakashi…and Ekyt. You two are in charge of this case. I want each of you to put together two names in addition to yourselves.”
“Understood,” Ekyt replied crisply.
“Alright,” Kakashi drawled.



“I wonder what brought that on?” Ekyt voiced his thoughts aloud as he and Kakashi walked out of the building.
“Probably the fact that you’re a half-step away from jonin,” Kakashi replied, his nose already in Make-Out Violence.
Ekyt had stopped in his tracks.
“Wait, are you saying that they’re actually considering that? I mean, me, a Jonin?”
Kakashi looked up, a grin apparent under his mask. “That’s right!” he said happily. “And you’ve earned it. You know how hard pressed we are for jonin. Your name has been coming up for months. But you were short a couple missions. In fact, one mission. Looks like, after this mission, you’ll be all caught up.”
Ekyt looked shocked. “Wow…but wait, what do they plan to do with me? I mean, there’s no room for me as a squad leader, and the Third Hokage is teaching.”
Kakashi shrugged. “Who knows? Lady Tsunade can be hard to read…not unlike Sakura…”
Ekyt shook his head tolerantly. Ever since he and Sakura had been boyfriend and girlfriend, the ribbing from the Village had been endless. Even Lady Tsunade had gotten into it.
“So, who do you have in mind for your people?” Kakashi asked suddenly.
“Well, I know you’ll have Sakura and Naruto, aside from the two you pick. I had Shikamaru and Lee in mind.”
Kakashi nodded his agreement, but added an amendment. “You should take Sakura and Lee with you, if we get split up. You three have worked together before and you compliment each other. Naruto and Shikamaru are opposites, but they can work fine together. All the same, it should be a mission priority to stick together. Oh, before I forget, this is for you. It’s a mission scroll.”
“What do I do with it sensei? This is my first one…I mean, aside from my ANBU scrolls…and that reminds me- do I go as a Jr. ANBU agent, or am I going as a chunin leading a squad? I could do either…”
Kakashi thought for a moment. “Go as an ANBU agent. Your gear will probably come in handy.”
Kakashi’s next question shook Ekyt to the core.
“Ekyt, in this mission, you might have to kill…can you handle that?”
Ekyt sighed and put a hand to his temple. “I’ve never killed sensei…I’d rather I didn’t…but if it comes down to it…I’m sure I can.”
Kakashi saw that his words had disturbed Ekyt. He wished he could tell the young man everything, instead of just these fragmented bits of what was in store for him…

A variable was suddenly thrown in. The Sand Village needed help. It was decided that Kakashi's team of Naruto and Shikamaru would head there. Ekyt's team was to head to Otogakure.

They hadn't gotten far when Lee suddenly collapsed. Behind him stood Kabuto and Chakaro. Wordlessly, the aimed for Lee. Ekyt leapt in the way, extending his foot out to his them both.

"Shadow Clone Jutsu!" he called. His clones appeared next to him, in front of Lee and Sakura.
"Hidden Shadow Snake Hand!" All five Ekyt's called. This drained Ekyt's chakra big time, but it was a good move in a pinch.

Chakaro and Kabuto leapt in opposite directions. Ekyt ended the Hidden Shadow Snake Hand jutsu. Instead, he had his clones use the Dragon's Ember Jutsu. The attack missed.

What is wrong with...wait. My attacks aren't THAT weak...genjutsu! But my chakra is almost gone...but it has to be done, it's probably affecting Lee and Sakura too!

"Disengage!" Ekyt shouted. The genjutsu that was throwing off his aim lifted just in time for both Kabuto and Chakaro to land critical strikes to the Leaf Chunin.


Ekyt went down hard, his chakra and excess stamina finally exhausted. Chakaro and Kabuto moved in for the kill menacingly. Lee was badly injured, though not critical. Ekyt had fought the two off as long as he could. Kakashi, Shikamaru, and Naruto were probably waiting at the rendezvous point.
Sakura felt her chakra welling up.
This is it…one last punch…I won’t let him get Ekyt! He fought too bravely to die here!

Sakura’s punch cracked off of Chakaro’s skull. At the same time, her leg halted Kabuto’s progress. She was then flung to the side. And Chakaro was closing in fast…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on November 12, 2007, 2:13:54 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Totally sweet mate! I have to say I was laughing at how close your story line came to mine at one point. Don't worry. It took a diff path, but at one point they were on Identical paths. Great job mate. I love it.