Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Ninjas Into Dreams

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 4 - Ninjas Into Dreams

Chapter 4 - Ninjas Into Dreams
Ekyt’s made the hand signs one more time. The sweat was already pouring down his face from the effort this jutsu required. Jiraiya had told him that it would take a week to get down. Ekyt made a bet with him that he would get the jutsu done in two days.
Damn, that was a wager worthy of Lady Tsunade! I must have had a little more sake than I thought. Oh well, here goes!
“Fire Release: Dragon’s Circle!” Ekyt called. First, he forced the condensed fire into his hand. He slashed at the tree in front of him. A dead limb, charred from the fire, fell at his feet. Moving the fire to the top of his foot, Ekyt threw a roundhouse kick, searing another limb. Finally, the hardest part, focusing the fire onto the bottom of his foot; he had yet to do it right. He drew back and threw- an ordinary side kick. The flame had gone out.

“That was very good. Even if you don’t win the bet, coming this far in a week’s time is very good. You’ve got another week to learn it, so take it easy,” Jiraiya told Ekyt.

“I can’t take it easy, I’ll fall behind!”
Jiraiya never understood WHY Ekyt worked so hard. He asked now, already wording a letter to Sarutobi in his mind.
“Why do you train like this? I mean, I know you have that guy to beat (Chakaro, Ekyt’s student that turned on him), but I get the feeling there’s more than that…”

“I’m…alone, Master Jiraiya. It wouldn’t be so bad if I was actually skilled. I mean, Lady Tsunade, and even Naruto, they’re alone, but they’re so powerful it doesn’t matter. I’m worried about not doing anything with my life. And…a distant part of me…is worried about being alone…”
Jiraiya sucked in his breath, then say sat down. “Listen, you’ll realize your potential some day. I’ve talked with Master Sarutobi, he told me of what you said to him, and he’s right. But I’m going to take his prediction one further: Sasuke, Sakura, and Naruto will someday earn the title of the 3 legendary ninja, the same as Tsunade, Orochimaru, and myself. You see how all three of us are different, the same as those three. But think about this: For each legendary ninja, there is the ones under them, the ones they would have been nothing without.”
Ekyt shook his head, not entirely believing his ears. “Are you telling me I’m just a…a stepping stone to greatness for those three? One of those people they meet along the way and wind up crushing under their sandals?! If I’m a stepping stone, they’d better step hard!”
Jiraiya grabbed Ekyt’s vest and forced him to sit down. “Is that your dream? To be a legend?”
Ekyt shook his head. “No. But I don’t want to be a footnote in history, either. I want to be remembered for something. As someone anyone could come to with nearly any problem.”
“You want to be Hokage?” Jiraiya questioned grimly.
“No. I want to be on the council. I want to be a teacher, a proctor, a warrior…I want…I want to be anything and everything I can be. Obviously that won’t happen. I won’t even be a footnote, I’ll die nameless as I am now…”

“What about your question about love?” Jiraiya asked as Ekyt turned to walk away.
“I…never mind, Master Jiraiya, it’s nothing…nothing at all…”


“Sasuke…this hard for me to say…but I don’t think you should be upset with Naruto, or Ekyt either. They stopped you from making the biggest mistake you possibly could. Doesn’t your own life mean anything to you? Don’t you want to actually live for yourself, instead of living for your brother?”
Sasuke bolted upright and grabbed Sakura around the neck. “NEVER say that again…Never. I will kill my brother. One way or the other. If Naruto and Ekyt get in my way…or Kakashi, or you…I’ll go through all of you.”
Sakura felt tears welling up. No! He just threatened you! You know what you have to do, now do it!
“Sasuke, if that’s how you feel, go about your quest…go it alone. I’m not going to support a needless murder! I don’t care what we’ve had in the past, or what kind of future we could have had! If you’re going to live to kill, that’s not something I want to be a part of!”


Neji activated his Byakugan as soon as the intruders were within 200 meters of him. His vision allowed him to see who was coming. He wasn’t thrilled, but he wasn’t threatened either.
Kiba approached Neji first.
“Long time no see, Neji! How’s the training going?” Kiba asked in a friendly manner. Akamaru leapt up onto his thick mane of brown hair and barked a hello.
“My training is well, as the fates have always been with me. It is…good to see you, and Shino. Lady Hinata…” Neji spoke the last name with hatred etched in every syllable.
Hinata looked as though she would pass out; she was pale as a ghost. But the years had leant her courage.
“Cousin Neji.” The strength of her voice surprised everyone, her self included. When she continued speaking, it was clear that this shy, timid girl had learned of her own abilities, and was ready to use them. “It’s good to see you, cousin,” she said, considerably warmer. In what was a major shock, she walked up to Neji, stared him right in the eye…
Then she hugged him.
“Neji, it’s time for us to bury the hatchet. Our family can’t afford to be at odds. The fates don’t speak only to you. Our village is deteriorating…and you’d be welcomed back with open arms, if you were to return…”
Neji looked shocked.
“Please give me time to consider my options…I’ll have my answer within twenty-four hours…”


Temari shivered. This guy was bad news, THAT much was evident. Or, apparently evident.
“Kimimaro Kaguya, right?” Temari asked, trying to keep the usual bit of “swagger” in her voice.
“Yes.” The white-haired guy replied. He was an imposing figure. His face held a neutral expression, and his voice held a neutral tone. It was somehow unnerving to see someone show no emotion whatsoever.
“We’re here to…escort you to the Leaf Village.” Temari’s voice wavered. Lee, sensing that, stepped forward to give her some relief.
“We are here to assist you in your travel to the Leaf Village. Whenever you are ready, we will go.” Lee, the polar opposite of Kimimaro, brought the slightest grin to Kimimaro’s face.
“My cousin has spoke of you…not to mention our battle…”
“Cousin? Who’s your cousin?” Tenten couldn’t help but blurt her question out.
Kimimaro’s face remained impassive. “Ekyt Kaguya.”
Lee, who had known about this, was shocked to see Tenten’s face.
“I thought…it was just a name he adopted…I never knew you two were related…” any respect Tenten had for Ekyt was destroyed.
“Well, let us get going then. It will be dark soon, and if we hurry, we may reach the Leaf Village by tomorrow morning.”


At the end of two weeks, Ekyt had changed. Jiraiya, sadly, had known it would happen. The young man was convinced: There was almost no good in the world. Ekyt studied even more obsessively, learning jutsu and jutsu, trying to perfect them. He hardly spoke at all anymore; no more than politeness required. His anger was so thick you could sense it, if his perpetually balled fists didn’t already lend you to that conclusion. But the anger soon failed, replaced by a depression…or maybe resignation. It was time to return to the village all too soon. Before they left, Jiraiya pulled Ekyt into a bar for a last round of Sake.
“Listen, I never finished earlier. Kid, I said those three would become 3 sannin. I think that you’ll play a part in getting them there. But, somehow, I can’t see you just fading into the background.” Jiraiya took up his earth-toned porceleain cup and emptied it’s contents.
“What do you mean?” Ekyt wanted to know.
“I mean that you have just as much a chance to become legendary as they do. But you’re following a different path, and you’ve been going it alone. I hope that changes, because you DO have talent, and it would be a shame to waste it.”


Neji approached Hinata first.
“You have grown in strength. Perhaps even the fates are wrong, Lady Hinata. I will return to the Leaf Village with you.”


Ekyt arrived first, ready to speak with Lady Tsunade. He recounted his conversations, his frustrations, and his beliefs. To his surprise, Tsunade smiled. “Some of those may be over sooner than you think.
Kimimaro entered next. Ekyt walked over and bowed. Kimimaro returned it.
“Good to see you again, Kimimaro.”

What happened in the next few minutes was such a flurry that it’s best described like this:

Temari was removed from Guy’s team.

Neji was given his old spot back.

Ekyt, Kimimaro, and Temari were named as a team “But only for missions where it’s necessary, as all of you have preferred to work solo, or with one partner.”

In the strangest twist of all, which also was a kick square to Ekyt’s nuts (at the time, although he quickly rescinded that belief), was Temari’s reaction to Kimimaro. It seemed puppy love was running amok, and Temari had been infected.

Ekyt had admitted an attraction to Temari in the midst of a training session with Lee. They were the same age, both unfairly stuck as genin, and both genuinely cared for other people, and they had emotions. But, somehow, Ekyt had always come off as a “little brother” to Temari. So he had cast the emotions aside. Besides, Temari was too abrasive for him. It hadn’t taken long to realize that he might have been more infatuated with her looks than with her personality. Ekyt wasn’t the type to pick someone based solely on looks.


Elsewhere, Naruto was trying to console Sakura.
“You made the right move, you know you did. It’s gonna be hard, but you’re right, and you know it. Just pretend he’s me, and you’ll have no problem telling him off! Believe it!” Naruto threw in the joke, bringing a smile to the somber Sakura’s face for the first time in the two weeks since she had broken up with Sasuke.
You never forget your first love…Why did Sasuke have to be like that? Why couldn’t he have seen the light, and just been…No. He was NEVER my boyfriend. He never cared for me, never even kissed me. I didn’t mean anything to him. I was just…there. I’ll never trust anyone like that again…no, I’ll be more careful.

Sakura walked to her favorite place, a park in Konohagakure with a dirt sidewalk, which was dotted along the sides with cherry trees. Their light pink hues matched her hair, and they somehow made her feel at ease.
(sigh)I always dreamed of kissing Sasuke here…the cherry blossoms are so romantic…Ever since I was little, I’ve heard the stories about romance coming under the cherry blossoms. This is where my Mom and Dad met, twenty years ago. My Mom always told me that true love can come from anywhere, but a pretty girl sitting among the cherry blossoms never hurt. (giggle) Mom must have been a flirt when she was younger. Dad was always the tower of strength…and the one to spoil me. I had always hoped I’d meet a boy who would put me on a pedestal like that. Well, Lee did, but that was just creepy…

Naruto ran into Ekyt, who looked downright miserable.
“Listen, forget YOUR problems for a minute. Sakura’s got REAL trouble. While you were gone, she broke up with Sasuke because of us. I’ve already talked to her…”
Ekyt finished his thought for him. “…I should talk to her. Any idea where she went?” Ekyt asked, trying to perk up his demeanor. The last thing a depressed Sakura needed was to see more depression.
Naruto screwed up his face in thought. “Oh yeah, the cherry blossoms! Hey, that reminds me, congrats on getting a team!”
Ekyt grinned. “Thanks Naruto, I-”
His voice trailed off as Naruto had suddenly become twelve naked girls, all hanging on Ekyt, posing, and blowing kisses.
“Ekyytttt-kuuuunnnnnnnnn…” they cooed as one.
Ekyt never stood a chance. He had all the moral fiber in the world, but a Ninja Harem jutsu out of nowhere had done more powerful ninjas than Ekyt in. The powerful nosebleed that accompanied this jutsu send Ekyt sailing, launching him at least 20 meters.


“So, you’re Kimimaro? I guess since we’re on a team, we should know each other a little. I’m Temari, formerly of the Sand Village.”
Kimimaro’s face showed the slightest of almost cocky grins. “Kimimaro Kaguya. Sound Village.”
“So, what brings you here?” Temari questioned.
“My cousin, Ekyt, told me about the medic-nins here. (speaking matter-of-factly) I’m dying, and apparently this Tsunade person could cure me.”
Temari slid a little closer to Kimimaro as they walked around the town. She was just showing him around, although she felt like it was more than that. She stopped dead when she heard that he was dying.
“I’m really sorry! I’m sure Tsunade can cure you, she’s handy with that medic stuff…”
Temari couldn’t believe it. I left the Sand Village because my brothers were monsters…now I think I’m in love with one!



Ekyt found Sakura among the tree blossoms. She appeared to be asleep. In reality, she was, but what was going on in her mind was much worse.
Sakura could sense Orochimaru’s connection with Sasuke when it reached a certain point, and it launched her subconscious into grotesque nightmares.

DREAM

Sakura was tied up, bound at the wrist and ankles. Before her, Sasuke was pacing, muttering to himself.
“I didn’t mean to hurt you, Sasuke!” Sakura howled, struggling fruitlessly against the ropes.
“Shut up! You rotten little dog! I should kill you…I should rip your heart out…but that’s too fast…you deserve to die slow…painfully…” Sasuke spoke more darkly than usual. He drew a kunai from it’s holster on his thigh and put it to Sakura’s face. He started to draw it down slowly, agaonizingly. But Sakura didn’t feel any pain…
“Voluntary Pain Acceptance Jutsu!”

Sakura heard a familiar voice call. She saw Ekyt grabbing onto Sasuke’s kunai hand, then using his other hand to touch Sakura’s cheek. She watched in amazement as a cut opened on Ekyt’s face, blood spurting out of it, dripping down onto his hand.
Seconds later, a Rasengan hit Sasuke full in the stomach.

Sasuke got up and shook the blow off. Knowing what would happen, he threw kunai at the still-tied up Sakura. Ekyt dove in the way, his back taking the kunai. His face in front of Sakura’s, what she could see of it morphed into a mask of pain. She saw blood seep through his mask, and she knew it came from his mouth. It was a sign of internal injuries, and possibly death. Sakura screamed and struggled to break free…


END DREAM

Ekyt panicked. He had seen this before. Sakura’s mouth was opening and closing in silent screams of anguish. Immediately, shrugged off his vest to put around her shoulders. Then, gently, he put a hand on her shoulder.

“Sakura…it’s just a dream. This isn’t real. You’ve got wake up.”

Sakura heard Ekyt’s voice. For some reason, it held a tone of softness, of trust. She listened, and forced herself to wake up.

In the real world, Sakura leapt up, breathing heavily. A sheen of cold sweat dampened her lustrous pink hair. Her body was shaking, partially from the cold, partially from the sheer terror of the dream.
“It’s alright. Just a dream. It’s okay,” A calm voice assured her.

Sakura, without knowing why, leapt up and grabbed Ekyt around the waist. She sobbed into his shoulder.
“It was awful! Ekyt, this has happened before! Something’s wrong with Sasuke! It’s one of THOSE dreams…and…” Sakura broke down, hot, wet tears streaming down her smooth face. She hadn’t let go of Ekyt, who had put aside his own “fear” of kunoichi and was doing his best to comfort her.
“Sakura, you’ve got to tell Tsunade, or Kakashi. There’s no telling what’s going to happen, so-”
“CHIDORI!”
Ekyt whipped around to see Sasuke running toward him, his hand crackling with blue energy. Normally, Ekyt would have just dodged away, but with Sakura still in a trance, he couldn’t move.
“Fire Release: Dragon’s Circle!” Ekyt shouted. He built up the flame he needed in his hand, but held his position.
Then he heard the third cry:
“RASENGAN!”


Sakura breathed out, near tears again.
If those three jutsus collide…Oh no…

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kogalover2013 on March 1, 2008, 4:35:01 PM

kogalover2013 on
kogalover2013omg sooo exciting

alchemest1 on February 2, 2008, 9:42:15 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Wow. Powerfully written. I love the slight changes all the characters are going through. Can't wait to see where they end up. Awesome work!