Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Sasuke's Ultimatum

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 5 - Sasuke's Ultimatum

Chapter 5 - Sasuke's Ultimatum
Eyes wide, Ekyt called back his jutsu. The explosion of those three jutsus would be devastating. Instead, he opted for a defensive jutsu:
“Dragon’s Encampment Wall!”
A wall of roaring red flames sprang up in front of Ekyt. He positioned himself in front of Sakura. He couldn’t be harmed by the flames; she could.
Naruto stopped short of Sasuke, but kept his Rasengan at the ready. Sasuke, for his part, plowed right through into the wall of fire. His hand managed to hit Ekyt’s stomach, but only barely cut him, as the wall of fire held.
Panting with the effort, Sasuke stepped back, cursing.
“You…sealed my only chance of fulfilling my life’s goal…” Sasuke drew a kunai knife and flipped it to a reverse grip. His dark eyes brimmed with hatred and desperation.
A wind swept through the field. Ekyt ended his jutsu, as did Naruto. Both sensed Sasuke’s desperation, so neither dropped their guard. They exchanged glances, both ready to stop Sasuke, if he tried to attack. But Sasuke dropped his own guard, the wind tossing his hair.
“When you take away someone’s reason for living, you’ve taken away their life. So I’m going to give you a choice, Ekyt. And you’d better decide quick. Either unseal my curse mark…”
Sasuke held his kunai up, staring at the balde glinting in the sun. He brought his tongue to the kunai, licking it, making a small cut along his tongue. He pressed the tongue to the roof of his mouth, sucking on the cut he had just created. Then he finished his thought; a thought which chilled everyone to the core:
“Either unseal my curse mark…or I’ll commit seppuku. And my death will be on YOUR head…you’ve got one day to decide. Take council with whoever you want. But if you haven’t answered by midnight, it’ll be too late…”


“Hey, that went great! Nice work Choji, and you too Shikamaru!” Ino was walking happily with her comrades. All of them were on their way to meet their Jonin instructor, Asuma Sarutobi.
“What’s with you, Ino? You’re usually telling me that I’m a fatass, or telling Shikamaru he’s lazy and worthless. Now you’re singing our praises?” Choji couldn’t help but question this; seeing Ino so happy was…weird.
Ino suddenly realized how conspicuous her actions were. “Me? Not being nice? Ha ha, I’ve always loved your sense of humor, Choji! Ha ha ha!” Ino continued to laugh nervously, stretching her arms behind her head.
Shikamaru glanced over, eyes half-lidded. “Choji’s right. Normally you’re…critical…what’s up?”
Ino struck a mocking pose, one hand on a hip, the other playfully flicking Shikamaru in the forehead. “What, can’t a girl be happy without her friends making a federal case?” she taunted, sticking her tongue out at the two stunned boys. “C’mon, let’s hurry up! No point in keeping Asuma-sensei waiting!”
Shikamaru and Choji exchanged confused glances, though neither was complaining that Ino wasn’t being her normally over-critical self.


Neji admitted to himself that he was concerned with how he would be welcomed to the village, after being gone for so long. He needn’t have worried. If there were three accepting people in the Village, it was Might Guy, Rock Lee, and Tenten.
Neji pulled his headband tighter, adjusting the straps to cover his curse mark. Hinata’s attempts at reconciling were fresh in his mind. He wasn’t sure how to react. The fates, it seemed, were silent when it came to this matter.
Do I accept? What does it mean, for me to be welcomed back to the family? Does it tarnish my honor? And WHY are the fates silent on this matter, it is one of great importance…perhaps it is my test, the true test of my will…I need more time to think…for now, I’ll enjoy being welcomed back.
Lee and Guy jumped around like little kids, leaping all around Neji, chanting that they had him back, and asking him how things were, and a million other questions in rapid-fire succession. Tenten smiled in her own somewhat reserved way. Strangely, she was blushing.
“Welcome back, Neji. It’s good to have you back on the team.” Tenten kissed Neji on the cheek. THAT gesture was open to interpretation.
Is that a kiss meaning “welcome back,” or does it mean something else? Neji wondered. Tenten’s blushing had stopped, and she just looked at peace.
“I can’t wait to train with you again, my skills were getting dull,” Tenten added with a warm smile.


Ekyt was floored. This was an impossible decision.
“Sasuke…think about this. Do you really want to beat your brother with borrowed power?” Ekyt began gently. Sasuke, however, cut him off sharply.
“Until midnight. If you haven’t answered, you’ll have my dead body to deal with. My Sharingan can see a lot, and it can read your guilt. So make your choice. At midnight, I’ll be waiting for you at the village gates. Bring Naruto and Sakura, and anyone else you feel necessary. Because NOTHING will save you when I unleash my power…Or, nothing will save you from drowning in your own guilt when you refuse to unseal my mark. So, go, hold council with anyone and everyone, this isn’t a secret affair…I want EVERYONE to know…”
Naruto looked over at Ekyt. Sakura, too, glanced at him. Ekyt straightened his back, and nodded once, firmly.
“I’ll have my answer by midnight.”


Kimimaro laid down on the operating table. Temari was at his side. When Kimimaro questioned it, Temari shrugged.
“We’re team mates,” was her only reply. Maybe we’ll be more…have you ever felt love, Kimimaro? Would you recognize it if it happened to you? I haven’t felt a lot of love in my life, I’ve always been a servant to my father, or my brothers.
“You’ll be fine. Just don’t panic,” Temari told Kimimaro in her own, inimitable way.
“Panic doesn’t apply to me,” Kimimaro dryly informed her. “It’s not a state of mind I understand…”
Temari smiled at that. Quickly, she forced her smile to it’s normal, cocky state. “Likewise. Still, just get well, kid.”
Temari went out to sit in the waiting room, just outside Lady Tsunade’s office. The room was mostly wood, something like pine, with a few uncomfortable wooden chairs and benches dotting it. The room was immaculate; apparently it was maintained by Lady Tsunade’s aid, Shizune. It was Shizune who had added the various paintings and pieces of art, to give it a more homey atmosphere. The centerpiece of the room was undoubtedly the enormous bay windows that were directly opposite the Operating Room’s doors.
Temari went over to gaze out the window. After sparing another thought for Kimimaro, and then one for her other teammate, Ekyt, she contemplated how things were back “home.” “Home” meaning Sunagakure, the Sand Village. It had prospered since Gaara had become the Kazekage. But it had become even more of a military-dictatorship than the other Village’s.
Temari had left because of her brother’s ruthless actions. As a result, she was an S-ranked criminal in the Sand Village. With Gaara ruling the land (He was beloved by the people), and Kankuro heading up their version of ANBU, Temari’s life wasn’t safe, despite the fact she was incredibly skilled. She had never been attached to the place, preferring peace over war. It was that very thought that had led her to the somewhat more tranquil Leaf Village.
She had always had something of an interest in the boys of the Leaf Village. Shikamaru and her had a lot in common, leading to brief thoughts of romance. Temari would never forget, however, it had been Ekyt that had led her to leave the Sand Village. With a broken leg, he had come to her defense against Kankuro’s wrath. It had earned him both the ire of his Village and the respect of the Third Hokage at the time.


Tsunade looked up from the scroll she was currently pondering.
“Kid, if this is about the chunin exams…” she warned Ekyt. However, when she saw Naruto and Sakura on either side of him, she knew that the chunin exams weren’t the discussion du jour. “What’s wrong?” she asked immediately.
Ekyt explained quickly. “…And either I unseal his curse mark, or he kills himself. We all know what unsealing it means…but is it worth the price of letting him die?”
Tsunade folder her hands in front of her. “That’s not the question, Ekyt. The question is this: Can you live with Sasuke’s death?”
The genin was clearly caught off guard with the question. Tsunade got up and put a hand on his shoulder, standing in front of him.
“Death is a part of life. Ekyt…only you can choose…but if you choose to leave the mark sealed, you have to understand: Sasuke died by HIS hand, not yours. You can’t let this guilt eat you alive. Consider this: If you unseal the mark you may be condemning hundreds to death. By leaving it sealed, your hands remain unbloodied, and your conscious would be clear. It’s a choice only you can make…as awful as it is.”


Sarutobi set down a cup of tea in front of Jiraiya. They had met in Sarutobi’s living room. Wall scrolls and weapons covered the wooden walls, while rice paper doors covered the entrance and exit to the room. It was a room that held many memories, and it was full of nods to tradition; the way life once was if Konoha.
“So you told them of the prediction?” Sarutobi questioned gravely.
“Nope. Only the one not directly involved. The Kaguya kid. I think I said the wrong thing, but the kid is so hard to read…” Jiraiya took a long gulp of the tea, wiping his mouth on the back of his sleeve.
Sarutobi nodded. “I find the young man pleasant enough, and certainly worthy of trust. The other three…they will be hitting their pinnacles soon. They will maintain those pinnacles for a long time, even as they age, they will be powerful. But I have reason to believe that they will have help, if not an addition to their number.”
“Ekyt?” Jiraiya asked in surprise. “He’s good, but hardly legendary.”
“Not his sword, his mind. His emotions. While Ninja, and Samurai for that matter, are trained to be emotionless, he has used those emotions to become more powerful. While not as powerful as the three at first glance, he has many qualities that will make him a match for them someday. But I fear his path, next to Naruto’s, will be the hardest. He may be legendary, he may not. But he WILL become a pillar of this village someday. However, should he attantain legendary status, and should the three remain comrades…their strength will become unrivaled for generations to come.” Sarutobi spoke peacefully, despite how much importance his words carried.
Jiraiya choked on a gulp of tea. “Three? But there’s four of them! What’s going to happen?! Is it Naruto? Will the Demon Fox break free of the seal?”
Sarutobi shook his head. “No. I mean…three of them will become legendary. Which three…I cannot say. But I feel certain that at least one will follow Orochimaru’s path…and one will attain death…that is all I can say, it’s a mystery to me as well, Jiraiya.”

At that point, Sarutobi heard his gong ring. With a small groan, he stood up and opened the door.
Ekyt, Naruto, and Sakura piled in. Ekyt immediately knelt before the two masters, while Naruto and Sakura remained standing.
“Master Sarutobi…Master Jiraiya…I have a question for you, and I…need guidance.”


The two Masters sat in stunned silence as Ekyt told them of what had happened. Jiraiya remained silent, deferring to Master Sarutobi’s opinion.
“Ekyt…It will not be easy, but you must decide on your own. If Sasuke chooses the road to the west, you MUST NOT allow yourself to succumb to the false blame that I know you are prone to. If I could trust anyone to make this decision honorably, it’s you. Consider all things, then decide. And act on that decision firmly. Leave no room for question when you make your decision.”


Tsunade went to work on Kimimaro. His disease was caused from a defect in his kekkai-genkai. It was easily cured, although Kimimaro would have to receive treatment for the rest of his life.
“You’re all done Kimimaro. And, while I’m at it…” Tsunade rummaged in her robe for moment, before extracting a Leaf Village hitai-ate. “Welcome to the Leaf Village.”
Kimimaro took the headband silently, contemplating it, then tying it around his waist.
Tsunade and Shizune both looked uneasy. Tsunade’s thoughts were disturbed, and with good reason. God, this guy looks like a ghost! But if he’s really on our side, I won’t say no to having that Kekkaigenkai in our ranks…and it cures ONE of my problems. No, wait, it doesn’t! Damn it! Temari is already a chunin, and Kimimaro is, too. That still leaves Ekyt out in the cold, despite having a team. Unless…Ah! Loophole! I always was good at getting out of tight spots. I can finally give the kid some good news.


“So what are you going to do?” Naruto asked Ekyt. He, Ekyt, and Sakura had taken up a place in Ichiraku.
“I can only see one thing…but it’s a hard decision…here!” Ekyt called, holding his sake cup up. He had begun to blush, but if any night ever called for an additional cup of sake, it was this night.
Sakura remained silent, but at 11:45 pm, she reached for Ekyt’s hand.
“I know you’ll make the right choice…and you don’t have to protect my feelings…” Sakura said quietly, trying to keep the tears out of her eyes. “Sasuke…is a threat to everyone, even himself…so…do what you have to.”
Ekyt had never had a girl hold his hand before. It was so smooth and warm, and comforting. He blushed harder, hoping that the sake would cover for him.
It was time to go. He drained his cup, got up, and walked toward the Village gates. On the way, he wrote out a scroll, then pricked his thumb with a kunai. He wiped the blood across a scroll.
“Summoning Jutsu!” he called, jamming his hand and scroll onto the ground. A loud POP was heard, before a Chinese Water Dragon appeared on Ekyt’s shoulder. Ekyt wrote out a scroll and handed it to the dragon, who- swallowed it?
“It’s for Shizune-Sensei, okay Umisu?” Ekyt gave the dragon a couple strokes. The dragon gave it’s owner a wink, then disappeared with another POP.


Sasuke waited by the gates. He had silenced his thoughts, which had been driving him slowly insane. Instead, he flicked the kunai stained with his own blood from a reverse grip to a standard grip, then back again. At 11:59, he saw Ekyt walk up, with Naruto and Sakura in tow.
“Well? What have you decided?” Sasuke asked, holding the kunai at the ready.
Ekyt, who had been working on this since he had made his decision, told Sasuke of his decision.
“Go ahead. Kill yourself. If I unseal that mark, I’ll have signed the death warrant for more than one person. I’d rather live with one person’s death on my conscience than the deaths of hundreds. So, go ahead.”

Sasuke glared back, not happy about this surprise. He-he’s heartless…I’ll call his bluff…
Sasuke drew the kunai across his neck, drawing blood.
“That poor clone will never be the same. Either do it or quit wasting my time.” Ekyt said impassively, as the clone disappeared.
Sasuke landed in front of him, enraged. “You heartless bastard! You’d let me kill myself?”
Ekyt nodded. “If it meant saving other lives…yes. And don’t sound so surprised, you already knew I’d do the honorable thing.”
Without warning, Sasuke reared back and threw the kunai at Ekyt. It struck Ekyt in the chest. Blood immediately began to spurt out, not only from his chest, but from his mouth.
“Smart,” he choked out, “Killing the only one who could have unsealed your mark…”


Sakura leapt down next to Ekyt, already activating her chakra scalpel. Seconds later, Shizune appeared. The two began to work on the boy as rapidly as possible.


Naruto leapt at Sasuke, striking him across the face with a well-placed right fist.
“I knew this would happen Naruto…we’re going to fight this out. If you win, I’ll stay in the village…if you lose, you and your friends let me leave.”
Naruto growled his response: “Deal! I’m going to win; believe it!”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

kogalover2013 on March 2, 2008, 8:01:47 AM

kogalover2013 on
kogalover2013omg

musicismylife on December 18, 2007, 8:29:56 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifewootness!!!