Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Under the Knife

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 7 - Under the Knife

Chapter 7 - Under the Knife
Tsunade cleared the room; a matter of such importance needed Ekyt’s sole attention. Once everyone was gone, Tsunade put a blank scroll in front of Ekyt. Shizune, the more openly caring of the two, sat down where she could watch and offer advice.
Ekyt looked at the scroll, then up at Tsunade. Hoping for an answer. His throat was full of knots, there was no way he could speak coherently.

“It’s…a last will and testament. I need to know who your next of kin is, who you leave your stuff too…I’m not going to lie, this surgery could go wrong. So you need to make sure everything is in order.”
Taking up a brush, Ekyt began to write. His hand was shaking so much he knocked over the ink well, and actually cursed, something he NEVER did in front of females if he could help it. He decided that this was an exception to his own rules of etiquette.
As the ink spilled out, in Ekyt’s mind, it became his own blood. From the Chidori attacks…he could SEE himself, impaled on a ball of blue energy meant to kill. It was worse in his eyes- that ball of energy was owned by someone he had called “friend” and “comrade”.
Stifling a sigh, Ekyt wrote a couple of names down, then handed the scroll, mostly blank, to Shizune.
Shizune read the scroll, then shot a glance at Ekyt so fast her neck cramped.

In a low, solemn tone, Ekyt read the contents of the scroll:
“Leave it all to the Leaf Village. There’s no executor of my will, so it goes to the Fifth Hokage. I want my parents informed of my death, only after signing a consent form that says they won’t hold the Leaf Village responsible.”
Tsunade and Shizune exchanged glances.
“Are you sure? I mean…” Shizune began, clearly unsure of what to say.
Ekyt pulled off his mask and actually gave them a grim smile.
“The Leaf Village has done so much for me…this surgery isn’t about my well-being, I lived without chakra before. It’s about me being able to serve the Leaf Village better.”
Ekyt stood up and looked placidly at the mountain where the Hokage’s faces had been carved.

“Is that your dream?” Shizune asked gently. “To be Hokage?”
Ekyt smiled again, but shook his head. “No. That’s Naruto’s dream, I’d never take it from him. I was just thinking that I hope I accomplish more before I die. Something to really be remembered by. But, it’s a pipe dream until this surgery is done.”
Shizune put a hand on his shoulder. “After hearing that, I don’t have any doubt you’ll be remembered…” Tsunade and I will certainly never forget…
“Shizune-sensei, may I see my records before the surgery?” Ekyt asked suddenly.
“Huh? Oh, sure, hold on!”


Neji’s decision was not well received among the Hyuga council. A heated discussion took place. By the end of it, a decision was reached.
Hiashi Hyuga stood up. As the matriarch of the Main branch of the family, his actions and words were accepted without question as a general rule. That “general rule” didn’t apply to his latest decision:
“Neji is a talented boy. I’ve never forgiven myself for suppressing him, and I, like him, have always picked fate as a scapegoat. That will change on the following premise: I, Hiashi Hyuga, will dismantle the age-old “Houses” and unite the Hyuga clan under one name, if Neji Hyuga can defeat me in combat.”
The Cadet members were thrilled, Neji was going to be their savior!
“It is just as the fates predicted!”
“The boy must be prepared!”
Hiashi held up a hand. “It is indeed time for Neji to recognize this. This match will be settled with two proctors, one from the Main house, one from the Cadet house. After the match is finished, the results will be recorded, but they will not be announced to the village, save for the Fifth Hokage, out of respect for her position. Our family has been divided too long, and with the Leaf Village at it’s weakest, it is no longer feasible to keep petty issues at the forefront. Should Neji lose this match, the matter will be dropped as long as I am the head of the Main house.”
Hiashi, an imposing man, and a talented ninja, looked over the council once. He did not look for, or need, approval. He gave a curt nod to his messenger, who set off to find Neji.


Naruto winced as something stung an open cut along his face.
“Hold still!” Sakura admonished him as Naruto tried to pull away.
“Sorry…” Naruto grumbled. He fidgeted a little bit more on the cold steel table. “How is…how’s Sasuke?” he asked quickly.
Sakura shrugged. “Who knows? Ino is taking care of him. I’m so glad you stopped him.”
Naruto couldn’t contain his shock. Sakura was okay with this? And SHE broke up with Sasuke, after chasing him for so long? WHAT IS GOING ON?
Sakura dipped a washcloth in an oil she had made and told Naruto to wipe any personal areas that had gotten cut.
“Hey, wait, what about Ekyt?! No one ever said what happened to him!” Naruto whined loudly.
Sakura turned around and put a hand gently on Naruto’s shoulder. “It’s not looking good. When he opened the first gate of chakra with his tenketsu and chakra coils severed, he did himself a lot of harm. He might not survive the operation… No one has told HIM that, we’re sworn to secrecy by Lady Tsunade.”
Naruto saw that Sakura had tears in her eyes. He felt his own eyes welling up in spite of himself.
“So…so he might have killed himself, saving me from Sasuke?” Naruto stammered, looking at the floor.
Sakura couldn’t answer at first. “He wanted to, you know. He fought off Lady Tsunade…she had to let him go help. And don’t blame yourself…”
Naruto was lost in his own thoughts. Will being Hokage someday mean having to have my friends die for me? Why didn’t he just let Sasuke hit me, maybe that other chakra would have saved me…If I’m Hokage, I’m going to fight my own battles, and not let anyone else die needlessly! Ekyt, you’d better survive! When I’m Hokage, you’re going to be my right-hand man, believe it!


Lee’s eyes widened and brimmed with tears.
“M-me! A jonin! Guy-sensei, is it true?! IS IT?!” Lee already jumped into Guy-sensei’s arms.
“Yes, Lee, it’s all true!” Guy sobbed. “I’m so proud of you, you special kid! A jonin! I always knew you had it in you, Lee! From the moment I met you, I knew you were gonna be great!”
“Congratulations, Lee!” Tenten hugged him. Tenten was really the heart and soul of Guy’s team. Lee was too emotional, and Neji not enough. Tenten was the balance.
Neji walked toward Lee menacingly. But Neji broke out into a somewhat-less conceited than usual smile. “Perhaps now that you will be jonin…you will be able to defeat me…”
Lee’s gaze hardened to a friendly look of competition. “I will! Do not drop your guard, Neji!”


Ekyt looked through his records. He smirked at the findings.
“I have no sensei…no specialty…50 D ranks…10 C ranks… 9 B ranks…5 A ranks…interesting. Alright.” Ekyt slammed the book closed and walked to the surgery room.
“Whenever you’re ready, cut away.” Ekyt told Tsunade.
Tsunade seemed to be nervous. This…this is just as complicated as the surgery I did on Lee…but at least Lee KNEW he might die…I haven’t had the heart to tell this one…huh?
Tsunade felt a hand on hers. She looked down, finding Ekyt’s hand linked in hers.
“Relax, Lady Tsunade. It’s alright.”
Tsunade nodded. “Thanks kid, you’re right.”
“Sake’s on me afterward,” Ekyt replied.
“Now THAT’S motivation!”


Sasuke glared out the window as Ino tended his wounds.
“How are you feeling, Sasuke?” Ino questioned perkily.
“None of your business,” Sasuke snarled back.
Ino shrugged. “Whatever you say.”
“Hurry up, I’ve got work to do,” Sasuke shot back.
Ino threw down the washcloth.
“Alright, I’ve had it with you! Sasuke, you realize that everyone went out of their way to be nice to you? To make sure you were okay? Over the years, I’ve learned what Sakura’s just learned: There’s no changing an asshole like you! You’re not a dick because of what happened to you, it’s just your nature. You’ve had everything given to you! Skills, understanding…and all you’ve done is turn your back to the village! Heal your own damn wounds!”
Ino stormed off, stunning the Uchiha boy. Is THIS what I’ve become? Do I care is the bigger question...


Temari and Kimimaro were waiting outside.
“So you’re healed now, huh boneman?” Temari questioned Kimimaro.
“I am. I’m no longer dying.” Kimimaro was finally speaking to people in the village. He scared the hell out of most people.
Temari, however, was strangely attracted to Kimimaro. He’s everything my brothers are, which I hate…but he’s not naturally violent, just naturally skilled…like me, false modesty aside…Kinda cute, too…
“I hope my cousin will make it.” Kimimaro stated after a few minutes of silence.
“Huh? Make it? His life isn’t in danger…” Temari’s voice trailed off upon the dawning realization that Ekyt’s life DID hang in the balance…
Temari lowered her eyes, but smirked. “The kid won’t die. If there’s anything I’m sure of, it’s that he won’t let go of life until his mission is done, and he’s not there yet. He’ll be back on his feet in no time!”
Kimimaro looked over at Temari, a look of curiosity on his face. “Your optimism is unfounded, but you seem so steadfast in your belief. Why?”
Temari shrugged. “I guess I just have a soft spot for the underdog.”


Tsunade made the last cut.
“Release!” she called, ending the genjutsu she had put on Ekyt.
Immediately, Ekyt stirred and sat up. He put a hand up, then the other. Then he weaved them together, making hand signs. Soon, there were three Ekyt’s.
“Good as new!” he declared. “Thank you so much, Lady Tsunade! And you too, Shizune!” Ekyt bowed to the two of them.
“You said you were buying the drinks. C’mon, let’s get on with that part then,” Tsunade said dismissively. Shizune hugged Ekyt.
“I’m glad to see you’re back to normal. How’s your chakra feel?”
“Great!” Ekyt replied.

Timidly, Sakura came into the room. Upon seeing Ekyt was awake and alive, she ran over and hugged him.
“I’m glad you’re alright…thanks for stopping those two from making a huge mistake!”
Ekyt, being Ekyt, completely froze up at Sakura’s touch. He finally remembered he was supposed to hug back.
“I was glad to do it.”


After some merriment, and the sake had been flowing, Ekyt hardly had anything to drink or eat. He wasn’t a steadfast drinker, but even he had a social side with the sauce. He slunk to the end of the bar, huddled over a cup of sake and a scroll. He took a gulp, then replaced the cup, indicating he wanted more.
It isn’t fair. Those two (Kimimaro and Temari) think I don’t know about how they feel about each other…that makes me the third wheel, again! Sasuke is out to kill me now, which means I can’t drop my guard. To top it all off, I don’t have a sensei, a girl, or any hope for the future! That was a line of **** I fed Tsunade to make her feel better, so she didn’t kill me when I was under the knife. I mean the part about the village and all…
Nothing in life is so bad it can’t get worse. As Ekyt was pondering this, Ebisu strolled in.
“Well, still a genin, I see. There IS justice,” the Tokubetsu jonin taunted.
Ekyt, while not even buzzed, was just too pissed to care. “My foot will be IN your @$$ if you don’t leave me alone,” he warned.
Ebisu slapped Ekyt across the face.
“You won’t touch me, you little smartass!”
Two seconds later, Ekyt’s stool went clatter to the floor as he tackled the Tokubetsu jonin and started to brawl with him. (Not the ideal thing to do after surgery).


“Lady Tsunade, shouldn’t you tell him the good news?” Shizune prompted a red-faced Tsunade.
“Whass tha? Good newsth? (hic) Oh yeah, yeah, why don’ you gohead and tell himm (hic),” Tsunade drained another of the small porcelain cups. “More, here!” she slurred.
Shizune went over to tell Ekyt, only to see him and Ebisu trading punches.
“Lady Tsunade!” she shouted.
Tsunade slammed her heal against the ground, forcing the two ninja to leap apart.
“Alright, that’s enough! Ekyt, you’re taking the chunin exams. You have a team that’s ineligible, but your team doesn’t need to participate. Your sensei is Hayate Gekko. Congratulations.” Tsunade told Ekyt in a happy (albeit somewhat drunk) voice.
Ebisu protested. “He isn’t worthy, Lady Tsunade! He has no respect, he is angry, and he refuses to conform!”
“Ebisu, you have been provoking this kid for years. If you have a problem, I have no problem reffing a bout between you two- AFTER the chunin exams. If I find out you’ve injured him in an unprovoked attack, you will be sparring ME. Understood?”


Neji and Tenten were sitting with Guy, waiting for Lee to finish training, when a messenger appeared, kneeling at Neji’s side. Neji took the note with a nod of thanks. The look of surprise in his eyes brought a curious grin to Tenten’s face. She read the contents of the note and couldn’t help but smile.
Neji,
The time has arrived. The fates have informed me
That it is no longer advisable to keep the family divided.
It is YOUR fate to unite them. To do so, you must defeat me.
Our match will take place in two days time, so be prepared.
I know your father would have been proud, Neji. But bear
In mind, you must defeat me to unite the family.
Good luck to you. I know you’ll make your father proud.

Hiashi Hyuga



Sakura curled up in bed, exhausted from the day’s work. She quickly pulled on her red pajama top and bottoms. The weather was warm, despite this being the Leaf Village’s “winter” season. The pajamas left just an inch or two of skin exposed on her stomach. Sakura didn’t like being bundled up at night, it just got too hot. She walked over to her bed and just started to lay down when something caught her eye. It was a picture of her team. From her bed, Sakura studied it for a moment.
Look at Kakashi-sensei, he hasn’t changed a bit! And Naruto, heh heh, I remember, I beat the crap out of him for ruining the first picture we took. And Sasuke…you’re an asshole! Suddenly furious, Sakura crawled under her thick red comforter and curled up.

DREAM

Sakura giggled and blushed. She wrung out the washcloth in her hands and let it drip over the old stone basin for a moment. Then she applied it to a nasty cut on the back of a shirtless boy.
“You’re almost done, okay? That cut is going to heal just fine!”
Sakura didn’t place the voice that answered with a “Good to know.” The answer could have belonged to anyone.
It was strange, tending to a wound in what appeared to be a lake. A waterfall roared overhead, masking most of the sounds. But the rush of the water was comforting to Sakura, so she closed her eyes and listened.
“Isn’t this a great place?” Sakura said, wrapping her arms around the upper body of the shirtless boy she had been patching up. The boy responded by hugging her. Sakura buried her face in his mildy-muscular chest, which was still wet from the water. She felt safe and comfortable, and expressed that with a content sigh. Suddenly, he turned, letting a gasp of pain escape his throat.
Sakura whipped around, seeing a figure she couldn’t quite make out holding a set of kunai. The boy behind her got up, kunai sticking out of his bare flesh, every little movement cutting more skin.

END DREAM

Sakura flung herself up, the covers going sailing. She held a kunai at the ready, but lowered it upon realizing it was a dream. The dream had unnerved her, though.
Who was the boy? I KNOW that I know who that was…but why was I hugging him? Unless…oh my God…It must be him…I’m in love with…Naruto?!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on December 21, 2007, 5:28:56 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifehaha 'Naruto?!' lol hope Neji wins