Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - Four-Way Free-For-All!

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 11 - Four-Way Free-For-All!

Chapter 11 - Four-Way Free-For-All!
Before the stunned crowd of genin was a woman. A few guys stared lustily, because at first glance, fishnet seemed to be all she was wearing, aside from an open trench coat. That ‘fishnet’ was actually armor, and it was opaque (to the disappoint of a few of the boys). A few (Ekyt among them) leapt to their feet, kunai at the ready. When she spoke, they were even more on their guard. Some had dove under their desks, as she was intimidating, to put it mildly. Despite not being very tall or muscular, she was imposing in her own way.
“Finishing that attack is a great way to ensure your own death…just a heads up.” she warned, seeming to bask in the fear that was evident in the room. She continued after another nasty grin. “Alright maggots, listen up! I’m Anko Mitarashi, your next proctor. And…” Anko paused, scanning the crowd of genin for a few moments. She narrowed her eyes, counting to herself. She shook her head, then shrugged.
“Well, there are a lot of you. I guess Ibikki’s getting soft. Trust me, more than half of you will be gone by the time I’m done with you! And…Yes?” Anko pointed, stopping her tirade once more.
Ekyt had raised his hand. “Do you have any proof that you are who you say?” He spoke evenly rather than accusatory. He hadn’t lowered his kunai. He was older and more experienced that most of the genin in the room, and he took her and anyone else as a threat until they proved themselves otherwise. Especially with an entrance through the window like that, most people used the door.
A hushed silence fell over the classroom. They couldn’t believe someone had even dared to say something, let alone question this lady’s authority. Despite this, most wanted to ask the question themselves. But they contented themselves by waiting for an answer. A couple even took cover, thinking that they would be in huge trouble if this new person didn’t take kindly to the questioning. They wanted to question the guy doing the asking, for that matter. The Konoha Shinobi knew him, and they were fine with him, even respected him on some level. But the others wondered why he didn’t have a team, and why he had a nickname like ‘Dragon Boy’. They had heard rumors, but each sounded as preposterous as the next.
Anko smiled, but not a warm smile. She began to speak in a cocky, unnerving tone. Ekyt was even more on his guard after hearing her speak. “So, this one has guts…There’s always one who does…Hiya!” Anko threw a kunai at Ekyt. Without moving, save for using his own kunai, Ekyt knocked the kunai into the floor, where it stuck. He didn’t take his eyes of the ‘proctor’ just yet. He held his position, save for stepping forward to the point where if a kunai was thrown, he was the only one who would get hit with it.
Anko nodded sagely, then grinned in her own inimitable way.
“Alright. Here’s my proof.” Anko tossed a badge to Ekyt. He let it land on the floor, to see if it would explode or something first. Then, cautiously, he picked it up and examined it. Holding on to it, Ekyt reached down to the floor and picked up the kunai he had deflected. He wiped it off, then approached Anko.
“Sorry for the trouble,” Ekyt drawled, hoping he sounded bored. He bowed, offering an apology, and handing Anko back her kunai and badge.
“Good move on your part. You can’t trust anyone, take them at face value. I’m glad to see someone took action. Alright, enough rest maggots! Time for your next exam: The Forest of Death!”

Sakura and Naruto finished their ramen, stomach’s satisfied with the quality nourishment.
“Feeling better?” Naruto asked, patting his stomach happily.
Sakura was surprised to find that she was. She had been sitting in Ichiraku with Naruto for an hour, talking about how the Village was changing, and she hadn’t thought of Sasuke once!
“I do feel better. Thanks, Naruto. But when did YOU get common sense?” Sakura joked, ruffling his hair.
Naruto shrugged. “I learned a lot with Master Jiraiya. Not just jutsus…how to treat people…and just what it means to be strong. I wasn’t far off the mark before, but now I know I’m on the right path to my dream!”
“To be Hokage,” Sakura recited, grinning to herself.
“You’d better believe it! Someday, everyone will look up to me! They’ll have to respect me!” Naruto was getting wound up again, but unlike his old self, he calmed down.
“So Sakura-chan, what are YOUR plans?” Naruto asked with a big grin.
Sakura blushed. Oh man! MY plans? What does he mean?! Give him the standard response! You don’t know how you feel yet! Calm down calm down calm down!
But Sakura’s voice ignored her common sense. “I’m in lo- what the hell?”
Sakura cut herself off. Ino and Sasuke had just walked in, cozied up to each other. They looked up and saw Sakura and Naruto…
“HUH? YOU’RE WITH HIM/HER?” Four shouts echoed inside the tiny ramen bar. Four accusatory fingers were pointed at four different people. The tension was so high, and the people so dangerous, you could SENSE that there was going to be a catastrophe unless these people were stopped.



Ibikki swept through the classroom, collecting the papers. He stopped at the one belonging to the boy who had spoke up. He grinned at the paper, remembering it’s owner.
All correct, and he didn’t even look up from his own paper. People were supposed to fail this exam, no genin should have known the answers. They were supposed to be forced to cheat. It was a test of information gathering. He’d have to study day and night to pull off a passing grade, let alone a perfect score…probably what he did, for that matter. Looks like he’ll be another one to watch. Of course, I had a feeling ever since Lady Tsunade ‘suggested’ I have a little talk with Ebisu about the young man…looks like that was a good move. It’ll be interesting to see how he handles the rest of the chunin exams.
Ibikki wondered briefly if the boy was cut out for ANBU. Torture, maybe. I’ve heard his genjutsu is like experiencing hell itself. But he doesn’t have the willingness to kill, I can already tell. Like the old Samurai phrase ‘His heart is not stone, but neither is it soft as a woman’s.’ Either way…I think I’ll keep an eye on the ‘Dragon Boy’ here.


Anko stood before a vast forest, teaming with wildlife. Soon, it would be teaming with chunin-hopeful as well. Said chunin hopeful were listening with rapt attention as Anko explained to them just what the exam entailed, the rules, and what would lead to disqualification.
“The object of your mission is to obtain information. Each group has been given a scroll. It’s either marked ‘Heaven’ or ‘Earth’. You have one scroll. You need one of each to move on to the next phase of the chunin exams. You can only be disqualified one way: Looking at the scrolls before you reach the tower checkpoint. Do NOT open the scrolls, accidentally or otherwise. If one teammate is seriously injured, or killed, you will be forced to withdraw due to injury. You can take the scrolls by stealing from other teams. And, yes, this means that half the teams will be eliminated at the end, since you need to two scrolls. That will leave four teams. Any questions?”
Anko seemed to be speaking to Ekyt particularly. Not wanting to disappoint, he raised his hand. She nodded towards him.
“One question…” Ekyt smirked inwardly; this was all part of his plan. “…How often do you have deaths in there?” There wasn’t a quiver in Ekyt’s voice.
Anko grinned mischievously at the question. “More often that Lady Tsunade would like. I’d say at least three people on average. Usually the cocky ones.”
THAT sent shivers through the crowd. No one quite knew what to think about that, aside from one emotion: FEAR!


Tsunade pondered the bandit in front of her.
“Alright. I’m going to send a specialized team with you. Most of my teams are on cases right now, but I’ve got just the three in mind…” Lady Tsunade called for Genma Shirani to collect her team.
Kiruku Akakomadori bowed as low as he could. “Thank you so much, Lady Tsunade! It is so relieving to know my family will be safe, and my business will prosper! Thank you so much!” Kiruku bowed multiple times, his head nearly touching the floor. “Alright, alright, easy! Ah, here’s my team!”
Kiruku recoiled in fear. Akamaru growled threateningly, barring his teeth. Kiba patted him on the head.
“It’s alright Akamaru, he’s a friend now. Take it easy, alright?” Kiba turned to the bandit. “Sorry about before. But don’t EVER kick my dog again. I’m Kiba Inakuka, I’ll be leading the mission back to your Village. This is Hinata Hyuuga (Hinata ducked shyly behind Shino’s shoulder, but offered a shy smile and a ‘hello’), and Shino Aburame.”

Shino stepped away from the window, a beetle in his hand. “I know your people are fond of poisons. It’s best if we take precautions to ensure that we don’t get poisoned ourselves. This beetle secretes a key ingredient in an antidote to your Village’s native poison. Hinata, if you can prepare the solution, we can leave within the hour.”

Hinata nodded, digging up her courage. “Right!”
Kiruku bowed to them as well. “Thank you all so much. Please…just bring my family back safe.”

“It would help if you supplied a description.” Shino spoke tonelessly, already looking at the beetle specimen he had in his hand.
“My wife is a brunette, blue eyes. My daughter looks just like her, but her hair is shorter. My son has hair like mine, but long and pulled into a ponytail. They’re both five years old.” Kiruku’s voice began to crack with emotion at the thought of his family. He loved them so much! It would kill him if something happened to them.
Tsunade nodded for the team to come closer. “This is going to be a B-ranked mission. It’s likely you’ll be attacked by chunin or higher level ninjas. So, keep your guard’s up, and good luck.”
Tsunade watched them go, then called Kiba back.
“Congratulations, Kiba. After this mission, you’ll have fulfilled all my requirements to become jonin.”



Ekyt sprinted into the forest and immediately leapt up into the relative cover of the trees. The leaves would hide him from unaware genin, which might give him an opening. He knew ahead of time everyone would be after him. He was one person; there were three to every other team. So he had to be on his game. Ekyt didn’t want to stay still too long; that would make things worse. It would give his enemies time to set up traps, and dodging them would take energy he couldn’t afford to waste. So he leapt to the next tree, then the next, watching below him for an opening. After an hour, he spotted a team of genin from the Hidden Sand Village. They were ducking behind a set of bushes, stalking a Leaf Village team. Ekyt leapt down, using a Shadow Clone Jutsu on the way down.

“Hey, what was that?” The three Sand genin turned around, seeing three of the same person staring at them.
“I’m interested in your scroll,” the clones said pleasantly.
“No WAY!” shouted one genin. He began to weave his hands together, but sensed something from behind him. A fourth clone?
“I’m the real deal,” said the one behind them. He was already holding their earth scroll.
“Nice trick, but we’re not done with you yet! Sand Encampment Wall!” called the kunoichi of the group.
“Dragon’s Encampment Wall!” Ekyt countered. The sand hardened into a solid barrier, which gave Ekyt a couple precious seconds to head towards the tower. Granted, he had over four days left to finish the exam, but every vulture possible would be waiting for him on the way to the tower, and he wanted a head start. The less resistance he had now, the more energy he’d have for the next part of the chunin exams. That’s when Ekyt saw his next problem. Just what he had feared. There were at least three teams (nine total people) forming a wall in front of the tower. The three Sand genin leapt behind him, making a full circle.


“You’ve got two scrolls, freak. Hand ‘em over, and maybe you’re remains won’t be a feast for the vultures!” one chunin-hopeful, this one from the Mist Village, held his hand out for the scrolls.
Ekyt looked around, not seeing an escape. I’ve come too far…if they want these scrolls, they’re going to have to take them, even over my dead body! Ekyt shrugged and replied “Hm. It seems the twelve of YOU are the vultures here. Picking on the odd man out…if you want the scrolls (Ekyt held them up), come get them!”
Immediately, Ekyt was swamped. He had to shorten the odds quickly. His sword would be useless in this close. Then it hit him. Ekyt leapt up, making hand signs. “Demonic Illusion: hell Viewing Technique!” he called. Immediately, four people were paralyzed with fear. They couldn’t move or scream. Four went to check on their teammates, and Ekyt landed next to them. He threw kicks and punches in rapid-fire succession. That took care of eight people.
Five kunai struck Ekyt in the upper right leg, then an uppercut sent him sailing into the air. Finally, a foot slammed into his chest, which propelled him into the ground at an awful speed. He pulled himself up out of the crater, wiping the blood out of his mouth. There were still four people left. Checking that he still had the scrolls, Ekyt used two jutsus, quickly forming a plan.
“Water Clone Jutsu! Shadow Clone Jutsu!”
Two more Ekyt’s popped up, next to the real one. All three used the body flicker jutsu at the same time, switching spots so fast it was impossible to tell which one was the original Ekyt.
“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu! Clone Instigation!” all three called. The four genin leapt aside as tongues of flames shot at them. That created the opening Ekyt wanted. All three of him ran toward the tower. One of the Ekyt’s stopped and used a jutsu.”
“Water Encampment wall!” SPLASH! The water clone Ekyt became a wall of water.
“Dragon’s Encampment Wall!” FWOOM! The shadow clone Ekyt became a wall of fire.
That left the REAL Ekyt the time he needed to dive into the tower, scrolls safely in hand. He had passed the second exam. But what happened when you opened up the scrolls? Were you supposed to wait until the time limit was up, or did you look as soon as you got into the Tower of Death? As Ekyt was pondering this, there was a POOF! An instructor landed in front of him.
Shikamaru scratched his shoulder. “Congratulations. You passed the second phase of the chunin exams.”
“Thanks, Shikamaru. What am I supposed to do now?”
Shikamaru shrugged. “You’re already safe, you can go home and rest until Lady Tsunade calls everyone who passed back for the third test. Or, whatever you want to do. Nice job, by the way. This exam is a drag…”


Ekyt dragged himself into Ichiraku, tired and sore. Of course there are no medic-nin’s at the hospital today, damn new year’s party. That tipsy wench…oh well, I’ve got to eat and- what the hell is going on?!
Ekyt leapt between the four as they all tried to punch at each other. He blocked the shots with his forearms.
“What the hell is going on here?!” He shouted, pushing Naruto and Sasuke apart, then stepping back in between Ino and Sakura.
Lee and Linda came sprinting in next. Without speaking, they helped Ekyt break up the fight. Afterward, Lee pulled Ekyt aside.

“I wanted to let you know that all of us are going to be there for you tomorrow. You helped me reach jonin level, and I am improving every day, and it is thanks to you and Gai-sensei!” Lee didn’t hug Ekyt this time, mercifully.
Ekyt nodded solemnly. “Lee, I just need to know one thing: If it comes down to Linda and I fighting…will you and I still be friends, no matter what the outcome. I don’t want to fight her, you already know that. But I have a feeling it’s going to happen.”
Lee returned Ekyt’s nod. “We will still be friends. You and I have fought, and we are still friends now. As long as you do not try to take Linda from me, there is no problem!” Lee struck his ‘nice guy’ pose, then ran back to the fight to separate Naruto and Sasuke once more.

NEXT ISSUE: THE FINAL PHASE OF THE CHUNIN EXAMS BEGIN!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on January 1, 2008, 9:13:13 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifewoohoo ekyt!!!!!!!!!