Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 19 - The Desperate Escape: Ekyt's Rage Shows Through!

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 19 - The Desperate Escape: Ekyt's Rage Shows Through!

Chapter 19 - The Desperate Escape: Ekyt's Rage Shows Through!
Ekyt walked to the casket, looked at it for a moment, then placed the white rose on it, as he had been told. He had taken his long black coat out of storage for the occasion. After a nod to Team Kakashi, Ekyt took his place, by himself, at the end of the line of Shinobi. It was there that he remembered Sarutobi’s last order. Sarutobi had wanted Ekyt to go to his house…but why? Part of his will? Ekyt had never questioned the Third Hokage, and he was going to follow his last request, no matter what. His thoughts were interrupted by Lady Tsunade, who had put a hand on his shoulder.

“You should say something, since you were his student…at least, that’s what his will says…go on…”

Ekyt gave her an unreadable look, but ventured up to the top of the platform, with an elder on either side of him. He didn’t even feel any nerves as he tried to deliver his first eulogy. How could you sum up someone who had given as much as Master Sarutobi?

“Master Sarutobi gave us all a chance at life…” Ekyt began. There was no paper in front of him. He was speaking from the heart.

“If there’s one thing I learned from him, it’s just how precious life is. We take it for granted that we’ll live another day, and that there won’t be clouds, or rain, or death. But it’s all unavoidable. Today is a dark day for our village in regards to losing Master Sarutobi, but the rays of light that shine through are reminders of what he taught us. Love for the Leaf, respect for life, and determination to defend all we hold dear…No matter what the cost…”

Everyone bowed their heads. Ekyt walked offstage, forcing himself not to shed a tear. Taking a kunai in the back would have been easier, and less painful.
--

Ekyt, tailed by Tsunade, and ten ANBU agents, walked to Sarutobi’s home. Seeing the scroll sitting on the desk, along with a mix of other scrolls, Ekyt walked over. One scroll was addressed to him, and the second was a Last Will and Testament that entitled Ekyt to certain things, including all the scrolls on the desk.

“See that these are not taken from him…upon his incarceration.” Tsunade ordered.

Ekyt froze up. He was still being arrested. This moment would stay with him for a long time. It hurt, being a ‘criminal’ in the eyes of someone he respected. Even if he couldn’t bring himself to LIKE Tsunade, he respected her. But, how could she be so heartless? Hadn’t Ekyt just help save the village?

“Right. Ekyt Kaguya, you are under arrest for the following: Evasion of arrest, two counts of treason, assaulting your superiors, bribing officers of the Hidden Leaf, and recklessly endangering your life, and the lives of others.”

Ekyt didn’t say a word as he was restrained with chain. When he was securely tied up, and ANBU started to escort him away, he paused. The agent tugged on the chain. Ekyt tugged back by throwing his weight, knocking the ANBU agent into a wall.

“Just a moment…I’ve got one more thing to say…” Ekyt turned to face Tsunade. The ANBU agents raised their swords, in case of an attack.

“You have just pissed on everything the Third Hokage taught us, just so you can flex your muscles over some mindless hatred for me. I wish it had been I who had used that jutsu sometimes…my love for the Leaf Village...is all that keeps me anchored here…And you…you turned my friends against me, and now you’re taking away my freedom, even as I battled alongside Master Sarutobi, to buy ANBU time to FIND you. You have nothing left to take, except my life…”

“Why would you say that, in your position?!” an ANBU agent wanted to know. Ekyt didn’t recognize the voice. At this point, even if it WAS a friend, Ekyt would have just as soon punched the guy as looked at him.

“Because you have me down for two counts of treason…I wanted to earn the second one, which was bullshoot, until now. Let’s go, you were in such a damn rush to take me away before, weren’t you? Or did I just surprise you by being honest?” Ekyt nudged the agent nearest to him with his shoulder, then walked out the door on his own power, leaving Tsunade to think about what he had just said.

--

Kabuto met the shadowy figure in the appointed place. Kabuto, of course, knew who it was, and why he was here. He wasn’t FOND of that fact, but he knew it.

“Did you have trouble leaving…Sasuke-kun?” Kabuto asked kindly. He had to FORCE himself to be kind, though. Sasuke wasn’t his favorite person in the world.

“Stuff it, Kabuto. Where’s Orochimaru’s body?” Sasuke cut right to the chase.

“Such disrespect! It’s waiting for you in his chamber. It needs your cursed seal’s power to weaken the seal enough to allow Orochimaru to escape into his new host, who I’ve chosen according to his orders. We can begin whenever you’re ready…”

“I need to get back to my village, you dirt bastard blackmailer. You understand that your idiot master left me no choice? I’m glad Orochimaru died. And I hate to be the one to bring him back…but I have to do what I have to do. It’s always been that way for me. Just remember- I WILL get you for forcing me to do this someday…”

--

Ekyt refused food for two days straight. When a guard tried to physically insist that he eat, Ekyt had hit him hard enough knock him backwards out of the cell. The guard lay on the floor, missing a tooth that Ekyt had plucked out of his hand. Even with no one guarding the door, Ekyt just sat there, staring out the open door. Another guard shouted something at him, but Ekyt just ignored him, turning to face the other way. Each day, Hayate was trusted to bring Ekyt sake, for his heart. But no chakra cigarettes. Ekyt only gave Hayate a low ‘thank you’ and a nod. He was allowed visitors, and even allowed to send his summons out, but he took advantage of neither option.

Even Team Kakashi visiting didn’t warrant much of reaction. In fact, Ekyt was downright angry. He felt betrayed, and didn’t know who to trust, now that Master Sarutobi was dead. After Naruto was nearly beheaded for trying TOO hard to get a reaction from Ekyt, Kakashi sat down across from Ekyt to talk with him. They muttered fast, in low tones, as if in another language. Kakashi apparently didn’t get the answer he wanted, because he shook his head sadly, only patting Ekyt’s head as he left. Sakura was too ashamed of her actions to say anything, so she left quietly with the others, chancing a backward glance at Ekyt.

Even darker days came one short day later. A guard demanded Ekyt surrender his mask.

“We can’t have you hanging yourself with it,” was the explanation. The guard was nice enough about it. But Ekyt looked up, darkness etched on his face.

“Then you’d better take my headband, too, because that will work just as well…” Ekyt’s menacing reply gave the guard the hint that it was time to leave. He left empty-handed. Ekyt stared at the wall again, only vaguely noting he as alone again.

--

More days past, with Ekyt finally breaking a little bit and reading the scrolls Sarutobi left him. Days went faster with those, and Ekyt’s white scroll soon expanded with notes. Then came the day that he formed his plan. Not to escape jail, but the Leaf Village. For how long, Ekyt didn’t know. The idea came in the form of a scroll, this one telling a story about an ancient set of blades.

“The blind craftsmen agreed to forge the swords for the Shinobi of the Hidden…damn it, what’s that word?” A smudge on the scroll his the name of the Village from view. Undeterred, Ekyt read on. “The Shinobi, a medic, agreed to heal the craftsmen’s eyes, in exchange for the blades. In the spirit of deceit, the Shinobi stole the blades and left the craftsman blinded. In retaliation, the blind swordsman cursed the swords, giving them a snake guardian, which judged the honesty of the sword’s wielder…”

It was a prize Ekyt wanted. It was an excuse Ekyt needed. It was a purpose Ekyt craved. To find such an artifact would be incredible. It was a distraction Ekyt longed for. A welcome break from death.

--

Ekyt rolled the scroll up and put it away. He would study harder, under better light. Today, a week after he began his stay, Tsunade was to come and decide his fate. Ekyt refused to move, only staring at her from his sitting position on the floor. His bed lay untouched.

“It’s been a week…how do you feel?” Tsunade asked, a quiet Shizune at her side. Tonton oinked worriedly while Shizune stroked her.

“Like I’ve been in jail for a week,” Ekyt replied tartly, sarcasm oozing from every pore on his body.

“I see…well, I put you here to get an attitude adjustment from you. It seems it’s working, maybe even too well…I’m moving you to house arrest…” Tsunade waited for a smile, a jump, ANYthing. Just some kind of reaction that told her she wasn’t talking to a brick.

“Whatever. Sitting here, sitting home, no difference to me. Do I have a trial anytime soon? I’d love to tell my side of the story…pointless of course, since no one will listen…” Ekyt finally got up and walked to the door. He stood there, silently, waiting for Tsunade to move.

“Look, I brought a visitor for you!” Shizune broke the silence, pulling Sakura into view. Ekyt looked up coldly.

“Why did you bring a medic? I’m not injured.” The sharpness of Ekyt’s reply alone was enough to jar all who were present. “Am I free to go home? Or should I sit back down? Either way, I’m wasting time standing here, talking.”

Tsunade stepped to the side and let her hand-picked ANBU guard take over. Ekyt walked away, the ANBU agent moving prompting him to move faster. Ekyt ignored him and continued to walk at his own pace.

“I’ve never seen him like that…Lady Tsunade, do you think something happened? I mean, even with Master Sarutobi’s death…” Shizune was worried about the lack of emotion. Especially around Sakura, who Ekyt usually blushed around.

“More than any of us can understand, Shizune. Let’s get back to work, we can talk there, no point in standing around an empty cell…”

--

Ekyt sat at his desk, looking at the scroll for clues. What village it came from, a signature, something!

“Hey. Hey, you, are you dead or what?”

Ekyt looked up briefly to glare at the ANBU agent. Ekyt had successfully ignored him all day, until now. He considered ignoring him again, but decided it would be better just to pacify him.

“Help yourself to any food or drink you want…just leave me alone, I’m busy.” Normally, that would have sufficed. But today’s guard was Yamato.

“Is your problem with me?” Yamato probed further. He had found Ekyt to be a great kid, and very professional. Something must have pissed him off pretty bad to warrant such a cold reaction.

“I have no problem, except you bothering me,” Ekyt snapped at his former teammate/friend. He made sure to stare extra hard at his scroll, hoping to convey the message ‘shut up’ silently.

“If you feel like talking about what happened, I’ll be happy to talk with you,” Yamato offered.

“There’s nothing to talk about. I did what I did, I’m not sorry, I never will be. As long as Katsuyori is safe, my job is done.” Ekyt’s curt reply worried Yamato. But Yamato, in turn, worried Ekyt.

“Katsuyori…he was apprehended and returned to the Hidden Mist Village earlier today. Sai was found with him, and escorted to the Mist Village, to appease them. They threatened to attack and-”

“WHAT?!” Ekyt roared. He rolled up his scroll as fast as he could and ran for the door. Yamato blocked the way. Without hesitating, Ekyt punched Yamato and kept running. He pushed past villagers, and dodged Yamato’s wood attacks, until he hit the Hokage’s office. Genma and Hayate tried to corral him, but Ekyt, desperately, held a kunai to his own throat.

“I’ll do it. Don’t screw with me! I’ll slit my own throat, I’m not kidding! You can come, and protect the Hokage. I’m not here to hurt her. But don’t make me do anything we’ll ALL regret.”

--

BLAM!

Tsunade’s door flew open. An incensed Ekyt strode in, followed by the three jonin, all of whom who looked as though they were dealing with a ticking time bomb.

“What the hell is this?!” Tsunade demanded, standing up.

“You dog! You sent two innocent boys to their death! Do you realize that?! To their death! You miserable old slug!” Ekyt had never talked like this, not least of all to Tsunade.

“I’m here to tell you- I intended to save them- both of them. Right now,” Ekyt finished. He moved for the door.

“Oh, and if you send your flunkies after me, you’ll be finding my corpse!” he snarled over his shoulder. A jonin moved toward him; Ekyt moved the kunai closer to his neck.

“Don’t get yourself involved, Ekyt! You don’t need more trouble! I’m already one step away from-” Tsunade began, but was cut off by Ekyt.

“The hell with you!” Ekyt suddenly threw something to Sakura. While everyone watched it arch through the air, Ekyt jumped out the window, and from rooftop to rooftop.

“What is it, Sakura?”

“His headband…” Sakura uttered in shock. Ekyt must be upset…he would never treat the headband like this…he must be desperate…I was wrong to help Lady Tsunade… Sakura held the headband to her chest.

“Sakura, get your team and follow him. He’s bluffing, and he needs to be returned. He can’t go far without us finding him.”

“No! You’re wrong, Lady Tsunade! For once, I’m going to think for myself! I don’t know about my team, but I DO know what I think! And I’m going to help Ekyt!”

Tsunade couldn’t believe it. But she couldn’t deal with Sakura right now, she had to get Kakashi and Naruto. Sasuke was missing, and his name was taboo.

“Yamato, take Kakashi and Naruto. Deliver this scroll to Ekyt. Read it to him if you have to, just make sure he gets it…please…I’m done hurting him…Sakura is the most trustworthy kunoichi I could ask for, and if even SHE dares to stand up to me…I’m wrong. You have your orders…”

--

“So, we have to catch up to him? It shouldn’t be a problem!” Naruto was bouncing off the walls, ready to go on this mission. “I’m gonna drag him back!”

I said the same about Sasuke…Sasuke left by himself the first time, and I DID bring him back…did he leave the same way this time? And Ekyt…what about the rumors? Threatening to commit suicide?

“Kakashi-sensei, it might be best if I delivered the scroll. He won’t hit me, no matter what I did to him before. And I want to apologize…” Sakura tugged at her gloves, pulling them straight, then, acting as she hadn’t since her fight with Sasuke, smoothed her skirt. Somehow, she wanted to look good when they caught Ekyt.

“Alright. Yamato, did he give any other clues? Mist Village, which way was he heading?”


“Don’t bother…” Ekyt landed in front of them. “You don’t have to catch me. I want to explain something to you…something I haven’t told anyone yet. I know I can trust you…all of you…” Ekyt bowed his head.

“Forgive me for how I acted…you see, I sealed my emotional chakra, and my emotions, inside a scroll for a few days. I wanted to think without my emotions getting in the way. I’m sorry if I hurt or offended anyone, but I couldn’t let myself get distracted. You see, I’ve…I’ve been teaching Katsuyori the way of the sword. His father was a samurai, killed by ninja. The kid is blind in one eye, has a personality disorder, and doesn’t trust anyone, except Sai and myself. If he’s back in the Mist Village, he’s probably dead, for a crime he didn’t commit. And Tsunade sending Sai…it was my fault. I asked Sai to watch him while I bought time. I didn’t count on Master Sarutobi’s death…I’ve lost my cousin and teacher within days of each other…I don’t want to lose my first student too, and my first ANBU partner. I can’t let it go…I just can’t. I’m not going to. I will do whatever it takes to save my comrades…”

Silence. Ekyt took that as an invitation to continue.

“After I save them, or lose them, I’m going on a mission of my own. Of healing. One of the scrolls Master Sarutobi left me told of two swords that have a guardian that ensures only an honest man can wield them. There’s a long story to that, and I don’t have time to tell it. For the record, my…rash actions…were caused by my emotions returning. It’s very painful, and as only one emotion returns at a time, I had a limited range. I’m guessing it was ‘anger’ or ‘desperation’ that returned. I’m sorry about how cold I was to all of you.”

“I’m going with you!” Naruto decided. Sakura nodded and stepped up next to Naruto. Kakashi and Yamato shrugged.

“Looks like you’re leading this mission. Let’s get going, before Lady Tsunade figures out what’s going on.” Kakashi seemed amused by all this in a way.

“If anything goes wrong, I take full responsibility…that includes Lady Tsunade.” That was all Ekyt had to say on the subject. Sakura suddenly remembered the scroll she was carrying. She took it out, playing with it’s ribbon nervously.

He’s GOT to hate me for what I did to him…Well, I’ve got to try, anyway, even if he DOES hate me now…

“Ekyt, can I talk to you for a minute? I’ve got this scroll for you, and I’ve got to ask you something…”

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on June 8, 2008, 4:05:39 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWoah...intense. That actually gave me an adrenaline rush. Ekyt's scary when he's angry...i wonder if team 7 are going with him for real, or to betray him again. Keep up the good work!

musicismylife on June 5, 2008, 8:40:24 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeO.O *steps out of Ekyt's warpath*

hflp on June 5, 2008, 12:52:17 AM

hflp on
hflpNote to self. STAY OUT OF HIS WAY WHEN HE'S PISSED.

andr28a on June 4, 2008, 8:23:53 PM

andr28a on
andr28aGeez that was intense, Ekyt was pissed of,just as much as Ryofu in my own story.
Excellent chapter keep going