Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 25 - Bull's Eye

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 25 - Bull's Eye

Chapter 25 - Bull's Eye
“What have they done?” Ekyt asked quietly, head bowed, fearing the worst. He had no reason to believe this was good news.

“Your team has been disbanded. Katsuyori, Sai, Kantai, and I are forming the new team, now that all of Team Kakashi is on the same page. Lady Tsunade says she has a bigger plan for you…” Yamato tried to give Ekyt a ray of hope, but that disappeared quickly. Even the stoic Ekyt couldn’t hide the shades of disappointment on his face. He pulled the chakra cigarette out of his mouth, extinguished it, and pocketed it’s remains for later use.

“Alright then, Hokage knows best, I guess…I assume she’s in charge for a reason…” Ekyt bit his thumb, absently making the Summoning Jutsu handsigns. Shuurai, his giant snake, waited, ready for Ekyt to put the prisoners in him. Ekyt shoved them in, not exactly being gentle. When they protested, a glare was enough to shut them up.

“I’ll ride with them,” Ekyt said glumly. At least it would be quiet in there. If a fight broke out…all the better. Ekyt could use a little stress management…

-

My good mood came and left so quickly…this is really painful. For a brief while, I thought I understood everything. I guess I was about as wrong as anyone could be. Why should I be happy? Because I think I deserve to be? Well, maybe what the Fifth has planned will be worth my time. I hope. That’s what I’ve got to think.

By the time Ekyt exited the snake, any trace of the ‘happy’ Ekyt that had made a brief appearance was long gone. In it’s place was the Ekyt of old. Mask in place, bags under eyes, not even the hint of a smile…and absolutely no hope to be found anywhere on him. His shoulders were slumped, and his eyes darted around, from target to target. Just like the old Ekyt.

“Sensei…are you okay?” Katsuyori asked carefully. Ekyt looked over and put a hand on Katsuyori’s head.

“Don’t call me ‘sensei’ anymore. That isn’t my title. You and I are now comrades, fighting on the same level.” Ekyt removed his hand and stalked toward Tsunade’s office, climbing the stairs instead of jumping through the window. A sure sign that something was wrong.

--

“Yes, Lady Fifth?” Ekyt said, without emotion.

“I’m glad you came!” Tsunade seemed genuinely happy to see Ekyt. That had the effect of making Ekyt mildly curious and mildly worried, but that was it.

“Really? I’m…happy for you,” Ekyt replied, trying not to sound as sarcastic as he wanted. That took a lot of effort on his part.

“See, Ekyt, we need someone to represent the Leaf in a new ceremony that takes place before the chunin exams. It’s a tournament of the top genin fighters from each nation. And I need you to tell me- Who is the top genin in our village?” Tsunade was dead serious, and Ekyt wondered just how stupid/cruel she was.

This is below the belt, Tsunade!

“My opinion, you mean? Well, to be honest…I really don’t have one,” Ekyt said earnestly. “I train by myself, so I don’t know. If you mean Katsuyori, it’s too soon for him…”

“Interesting that you wouldn’t mention yourself…” Tsunade mused.

“I have my pride, but not THAT much of it. That’s beyond pride, it’s ego, and too much of it. That kind of title is for others to give to who they feel deserves it.” Ekyt was wondering just why Tsunade has kicked him off his old team. And then she mentions the chunin exams?

Tsunade nodded. “That’s definitely you. Only you would have that much of a self-depreciating attitude. It makes you the perfect choice- I’ve already chosen my fighter, the top of the graduating class this year, Okkuu Kazuki. I want you to be his manager and attendant.”

Tsuande waited for the ‘thank you’, and the gush of praise. Instead, she found Ekyt shaking his head in apparent disbelief.

“You are something, Lady Fifth. Well, I’m not going to take the mission. And I have a very good reason for it. Among the other reasons that aren’t worth your time…” Ekyt twirled a scroll between his fingers. As he did, he absently reached out the window and tapped Shuurai on the head. Shuurai spat the prisoners into Tsunade’s office. Six in all…

“THERE’S my reason. Putting me with this kid is like putting a giant bulls eye on his back. And when he faces the Mist candidate, you know nothing good can come of that. And…” Ekyt hesitated. This wasn’t the best thing to say, but the question was driving him nuts. He HAD to know.

“Why would you rub the chunin exam in my face? Unless I’m taking it…”

Tsunade smiled widely. “I HAD to disband your team, they weren’t ready. YOU, however, are ready for the chunin exams. And I’ve finally found the loop hole that can get you in…of course, you’d be fighting alone…but I don’t think that’s a huge concern for you, is it?” Tsunade knew that this had caught Ekyt completely off guard, and a sardonic corner of her mind was glad to see the normally collected genin go temporarily numb with surprise was entertaining.

Ekyt’s demeanor suddenly did a 180, causing Tsunade to grin. “No, not at all!”

Tsuande smiled. “You know, I think you’ve had enough hard luck, Ekyt. You’ve drawn the short straw a lot, and you’ve more than paid your dues. Now it’s your time to shine. But I still want you to watch Okkuu- he may be a target just by being from the Hidden Leaf. I know I can trust you to take care of this.”

“Of course, Lady Tsunade. And…maybe these six can offer us some kind of advantage?”

Ekyt indicated the prisoners on the floor next to him.

Tsunade blinked at them, wondering how they got there. Then she slowly smiled as she realized what Ekyt meant. It was unorthodox, but then again, so was Tsunade.

“I see what you’re saying…I think these six will be immensely helpful to us. And we won’t even need to torture them, provided they behave…”

The six prisoners shook with fear. They had heard of Tsunade’s legendary gambling, but even more so of her legendary temper. They decided, without speaking, to keep quiet and not tick her off. Probably a smart move.

“Alright then. Ekyt, go and get ‘em. I’m on your side for once- don’t get used to it, though!”

Ekyt smirked. “I wouldn’t dare, Lady Tsunade.” Ekyt started to walk away, but Tsunade stopped him once more, a smirk playing on her face.

“You know…it’s adorable you have a crush on my apprentice.”

Ekyt spun on his heel, a rather fixed smile on his face. “Pardon me, Lady Tsunade?”

Tsunade rolled her eyes. “Oh, please, did you think I wouldn’t figure it out? I was in love once, kid. The blushing, the awkwardness- It’s a wonder Sakura hasn’t noticed herself! But don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. To be honest, I thought you would have told her by now! You’re older than her, it shouldn’t be too hard for you…”

“Easy for you to say, Lady Fifth. I’m nineteen, almost twenty, she just turned seventeen. I mean, the age gap isn’t huge, but still…she could do better than me, and I know it. Besides, how would the village react to…well, me and her? I’m not a native here…”

Tsunade tapped Ekyt on the head playfully. “You know, I knew you were going to say that. Not to mention the legal matters regarding age, everything you said is true. But- this village has accepted you. I would call that native. And if you mean your past, hell, look at what we’ve got running around here! A former Sound agent that was formerly from the Rain, not to mention that he yanks bones out of his body. The Sand Kazekage’s older sister! You’re worried because you’ve had some samurai training? Please, get over it. You’ve charmed an entire village without any support from it’s leadership. I think you’re fine.”

Ekyt had to stop and think. WAS it unreasonable that he was being so cautious? He’d lived in the Hidden Leaf for nearly four years now…and he and Sakura WERE close enough in age. Ekyt had thought of all this before, but somehow, coming from Lady Tsunade, it was different entirely. Ekyt shook his head, already knowing he wouldn’t act on what she’d said.

“Well,” Tsunade said, “Either way, best of luck! I want a chunin coming back to this village, and I want my new star genin home in one piece. I leave it in your hands. Now go on, you should at least meet this genin before you leave.”

Ekyt bowed, wordlessly thanking Tsunade, before rushing out the window, bounding across the rooftops. Tsunade smiled tolerantly, walking over to her window to look up at Hokage Mountain. The Third Hokage’s face greeted her.

What are you thinking, Sarutobi-sensei? It’s taken me this long, but I think I’ve warmed to your last student. It’s time for him to have some success. Don’t know how you did it, but you certainly helped mold a talented ninja out of a skinny, akward kid…

It’s thanks to your sacrifice that all of us are here. You and your bonehead student who wouldn’t get out of Orochimaru’s way. It’s good you came when you did…it would have been Ekyt who died, because I know- he would have used the Fourth’s jutsu if you hadn’t.

Seems our village attracts knuckleheads. But those knuckleheads…might be in charge some day…


Tsunade thought of Naruto, and his declarations that he was going to be Hokage some day. Then the thought of Sakura’s raw determination and will power that defined her as a brilliant medic-nin. Kakashi and his books, Sai and his comments, Yamato and his past…the list went on and on.

“Seems the Hidden Leaf is full of strange people…talented…but strange.” Guess I can’t talk…after that whole gambling issue I had…still have…

--

Ekyt took a walk around the village, killing time until class got out. That’s when he spotted the academy, and the spotted Okkuu. Inwardly, Ekyt groaned and wondered if Tsunade hated him.

That kid is a little punk!

-

“You can’t make me, sensei! I’m too good for this crap! D-rank nothing, I could have done those in the womb!”

Ekyt knew the jonin that was in charge of this squad. He was a nice guy and a good fighter, but he never put his foot down when he needed to. It was clear Okkuu was calling the shots. His teammates, a small, timid redhead and a big, lumbering boy with short black hair seemed to be afraid of him. Ekyt decided that now was a good time to introduce himself.

-

Okkuu looked at the genin striding over.

“What do you want, light-weight?” Okkuu sneered. Ekyt rolled his eyes.

“I’m your manager for this trip you’re taking, them I’m taking the chunin exams myself.”

Okkuu laughed. “YOU? Don’t make me laugh, you pathetic little punk!”

The jonin tugged on Ekyt’s sleeve. “Don’t make him mad, please!” Ekyt shook his head, already seeing enough of this crap for one day.

“Listen, you arrogant little punk. I really couldn’t care less how you talk to me, or even what you think of me. All I know is that your rotten attitude is screwing with the village and getting in the way of my mission. THAT is something I won’t tolerate.” Sometimes a stern lecture worked, though Ekyt didn’t think it would. And he was correct.

“You’re the same rank as me, you can’t tell me what to do! You’re a failure!” Okkuu sneered. He started to say something else, but was cut off in mid-sentence.

“Are you done grandstanding, kid?” Ekyt muttered dangerously. The other present gulped, but didn’t dare interfere.

“And if I’m not done?” Okkuu shot back. “What are you gonna do, you gutless coward? Hit me?”

Ekyt had thought about it, and REALLY wanted to punch this irritating little brat. But he held off.

“Listen, I’ve heard enough. You realize that you might be hot stuff here, where no one is going to kill you, but once you leave, that deals off? You DO realize that genin from other villages aren’t going to play nice? They don’t care if it’s a sparring match, if they can, they WILL take you out. So check your ego at the door, or your @$$ will be on someone’s wall as a trophy.”

Okkuu seemed a little shocked by that, but recovered quickly. “You don’t think I know that? Man, you’re dumb!”

Ekyt shook his head. “When you’ve proven yourself in combat, THEN you can talk to me. Until then, you’ve won a few sparring matches, big deal. You’re gonna find out quickly that you’re nothing special.”

Okkuu gaped at Ekyt as he watched him walk away, apparently not bothered by the brash attitude that Okkuu was so good at projecting. This struck home with Okkuu.

Ekyt, huh? Well then, I give you guts for standing up to me. But you’re full of hot air until you’ve proven yourself to me!

--

Tsunade shook her head in disbelief. Sakura and Shizune were both trying really hard to contain their laughter. It wasn’t every day Ekyt let loose with that kind of word in front of a lady. Still, his word of choice made sense to Sakura and Shizune, who had both dealt with Okkuu before.

“Say that again?” Tsunade asked Ekyt.

“That kid is, pardon my French, a little prick! If he’s representing the Leaf, then our honor as a village is gone!”

Tsunade stood up, face to face with Ekyt. “What are you suggesting I do, then?”

“Well, it’s your call, but I suggest this: Let me enter that tournament.”

Tsunade shrugged. “The only reason I DIDN’T enter you in that thing is so you’d be rested for the chunin exams.”

“This is more important, this is the village. And besides, I’m not going to write myself off of the chunin exams because I had a few scraps before it started. Trust me, if that kid goes out on that floor without another Leaf in the tournament, he’s going to be someone’s big kill. I don’t care how good he is, his overactive mouth gland makes him a target, and, even worse, if puts a bulls eye right on the Leaf Village.” Ekyt leaned forward on the desk, his eyes looking darkly at Tsunade.

“Let me fight. If I’m not there, that little jerk’s life is forfeit. As for the chunin exams, I’m going to take them, no matter what. If I pass, great. If I fail, there’s a next time with this loophole you found. Either way, I’m sure this is the right course of action. I’d rather the bullseye was on me personally, than on everyone with a Leaf headband.”

Tsunade nodded again, this time slowly. “Alright, you’ve convinced me. BUT- I want you back here, in one piece, as a chunin.”

Ekyt bowed. “Understood.”

Tsunade nodded to Sakura, who took a bottle off of a small shelf behind Tsunade’s desk.

“Ryouko, take these with you. It’s a generic poison antidote. Those Mist-nin like to use poison, so this is a useful thing to have,” Sakura explained while handing Ryouko the pills.

“Thank you, Sakura.”

--

As Ekyt geared up to leave, he looked at what the Third Hokage had given him. Most was too precious for Ekyt to take with him, but the chainmail arm guards would definitely be a help.

So this is what it’s going to come down to…two tournaments, if this village follows the same pattern for the exams as the Leaf does. I’d better be on my guard. That insipid little punk, Okkuu, is definitely going to bite of more than he can chew. And Tsunade made it clear it’s my job to bail him out, or else. Fair enough. If I can’t become a chunin this time, I won’t come back to the Hidden Leaf at all!

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on August 5, 2008, 6:19:50 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDOkkuu is the most annoying character I've ever met! (well, read about) I hope Ekyt makes chunin this time though, he's at jounin level!

hflp on July 28, 2008, 12:49:55 PM

hflp on
hflpI also noticed another flaw in this story. Didn't Sakura and Naruto start going out while Ekyt was avoiding capture?

hflp on July 28, 2008, 12:51:58 PM

hflp on
hflpI think it was in chapter 17.

nextguardian on July 28, 2008, 1:03:28 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianWow, nice find! I was SURE I had them go their seperate ways- but that was in "The Power Inside". Oops again! That'll be corrected in future issues as well. Nice find!

hflp on July 26, 2008, 12:03:57 AM

hflp on
hflpWell? At least he has been given a chance. -_-' Despite the load-mouthed punk who's going to get himself killed.