Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 26 - The Warzone of the Mind

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 26 - The Warzone of the Mind

Chapter 26 - The Warzone of the Mind
“You don’t impress me, you know.”

Ekyt rolled his eyes, but continued his training. He needed to be in top form, and even in shape to kill…that was Tsunade’s order, and it was in the best interest of the village. If it came to it, Ekyt would bloody his hands for the first time.

“You listening, jerk? I SAID you’re no big deal?”

“Fire Style: Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” Ekyt called, ignoring the pest behind him. He watched his fire shoot towards a dead tree about fifty yards away. It went up in flames, prompting Ekyt to quickly use a Water Clone Jutsu to extinguish the flame. After this, he finally turned to Okkuu, who had been plaguing him for quite some time.

“I really couldn’t care less what you think of me, as I already informed you,” Ekyt told Okkuu dully, looking at the scorched tree to determine where his flame had hit. Just above his target point, a knot in the wood. Close, and more accurate than he’d need to be against almost anyone. But not good enough.

Okkuu kicked the ground in frustration. “What the hell is wrong with you? I’m insulting you, telling you that you suck, and you’re just training away?! Are you slow or something?”

“No. Patient.”

Okkuu lost any sense of self control. “YOU THINK YOU’RE BETTER THAN ME?! THEN HOW COME YOU AREN’T A JONIN, HUH? YOU JUST SOME LOSER WHO COULDN’T CUT IT!”

Ekyt STILL didn’t react strongly. “Think what you want. I guess we’ll find out at that tournament, won’t we?”

Okkuu gave a big sigh. “So you entered. What, to teach me a lesson or something? I’m too old for that?”

“I’m not your sensei, it’s not my job to teach you a lesson. My job is to make sure you leave that tournament alive. Personal feelings don’t matter. If you’re so insistent, I’ll tell you what I think of you, but you won’t like it.”

“Bring it on, you think I can’t handle a little insult?!” Okkuu shot back, tapping Ekyt on the shoulder. Ekyt grabbed his hand a turned around to face him.

“I think you’re an obnoxious little brat with a mouth so big you could whisper in your own ear. I think that, even if you ARE any good, you’re bragging is going to make you look like an idiot. And I think that you’re so full of yourself, that when you get knocked on your @$$ for the first time, you’re going to cry your eyes out. You’re a self-righteous prima-donna who has no idea what’s good for the Village.”

Ekyt decided he needed a rest, and guessed Okkuu could use one to get his wits back. The saddest part was that Ekyt had just told the complete truth.

--

(I made a mistake in chapter 18. Kimimaro is not dead, he is actually alive in the Hidden Leaf. Three story lines got crossed, and that’s what happened. I’m going to fix that right now. Sorry for the confusion)

“Hey boneman, what’s Orochimaru like?” Temari nudged Kimimaro, getting his attention.

“Orochimaru is a savior…until the time comes to pay back what you ‘owe’ him. My sheltered life led me to believe that he was all that was good…but now, I see that good is something else entirely…” Kimimaro rattled off. Temari shook her head at his reply.

“That’s not what I meant. I mean, how does he treat his followers?”

“Lower than dirt. Scum of the earth. That’s what they are, and that’s what he treats them like. Some are killed for failure, others are tortured, or experimented on. Only a select few receive his grace…I’m ashamed I’m one of them…” Kimimaro looked at the cursed seal on his chest, wishing he didn’t have it. Now that he had been let outside of a cage, and given freedom, he saw many things. Some bad, some good, but enough to form his own opinion of the world, and not rely on someone else as his eyes and ears.

“So get rid of it,” Temari said simply, adjusting the fan on her back. The damn thing got cumbersome at times.

“No one has ever removed a cursed seal. I would die if it was removed.”

Temari thought for a moment, remembering a fight between Ekyt and Sasuke one time. Sasuke was going to leave the village, and Ekyt used some weird jutsu. That jutsu nearly cost him his life because it left him open to Sasuke’s attack, but after that, Sasuke curse mark faded, then turned blue, with a seal around it.

“What about your cousin, Kimimaro? Ekyt. He sealed a curse mark before, with some weird jutsu that only he can perform, for some reason.”

Kimimaro had considered that. But he had held off for two reasons. The first reason was that, for some reason, Kimimaro had some desire to have Ekyt’s life. The second reason was that, with this curse mark, he could better serve his new village. But now that he had met Temari, and learned that his curse mark had helped cause the disease that nearly took his life, he was ready to give it more thought. Mostly for Temari’s sake. Kimimaro hadn’t figured out ‘affection’ just yet, but it was a strangely pleasant sensation.

“My cousin…I’ve considered going to him…but with my freedom came pride…”

Temari laughed. “That’s an easy fix. Just let me talk to him. I guarantee that he’d help even if I didn’t ask, but I’ve got a special factor to add to the equation…”

Kimimaro’s eyes widened slightly. What kind of advantage does she have?

“What sort of special factor?” Kimimaro asked aloud.

“I’m female, and I know things,” Temari informed Kimimaro. “That’s really your cousin’s weakness- females. Just watch, he’s coming this way…”

-

Ekyt walked down the street, dodging people without looking up from his scroll. It was a wonder he hadn’t walked into anyone yet. He was lost to the world right now, reading about a different time, with different attacks.

“Fascinating…” he breathed, trying to remember every last word on the scroll.

“Hey, kid!” Temari called out. Ekyt kept walking, not paying any attention. Temari was slightly irritated.

“Hey, you!” she said, tapping his shoulder. Ekyt rolled shoulder, apparently thinking there was a fly on it or something, while he kept walking. Temari, not being an overly patient person outside of combat, lost her cool. Walking up behind Ekyt, she suddenly jammed her fan upwards- in between Ekyt’s legs. Not hard enough to do damage, but it certainly got his attention.

“Who the hell did that?!” Ekyt snarled, whipping around as he could. Temari held her hand open, and Ekyt spun into it. SLAP!

“Ow! Temari? What was that for?” Ekyt asked, rubbing his face while getting to his feet.

“How dare you ignore me? We used to have a special thing, kid!”

Ekyt raised an eyebrow. “When was this? And, you know, you’re only two monthes older than me…”

Temari grabbed Ekyt’s shirt and yanked him close. “Listen, you saved me on a broken leg. THANK YOU! Now, come over here and help me fix my boyfriend!”

Ekyt had to shake his head. Shikamaru? Nah. But, who besides Shikamaru, and me, the attention-starved loser, would put up with this kind of abuse? Oh, right, Kimimaro. Geez, only in the village for a month and he lands a beautiful (Slightly psychotic) girl? I wonder if THAT’S part of the bloodline? I’m sure I didn’t inherit that part -_-;

“Okay, work your magic, kid!”

Ekyt nodded and got to work. To prove her point to Kimimaro about Ekyt’s weakness being his semi-fear of kunoichi, Temari decided to mess with Ekyt a little. Temari thought for a second.

“Hey, I’ve got a sister that wants you. Then again, that would break Sakura’s heart, after what she told me in the hot spring…”

“You’re lying, Temari. And that’s just mean to pick on me for being single!” Ekyt shot back, getting that Temari was messing with him. He was entitled to say something back, right? After all, only Lee and Tsunade really knew of Ekyt’s feelings for Sakura. Temari joked like this a lot, and always paired Ekyt with a different kunoichi. (Temari’s favorite pairs are EkytXTsunade, EkytXAnk, and EkytXTenten)

“Just remember who set you up with Kimimaro…” Ekyt joked. Temari smiled and nodded.

“Okay, that should do it. Five Elements Sealing Jutsu!” Ekyt called, jamming his to Kimimaro’s chest. The collective energy of the emotional chakra and the power of Kimimaro’s curse mark sent Ekyt tumbling away. He regained his footing to see Kimimaro’s curse mark fade, then turn blue. Mission accomplished.

“Nice job, kid!” Temari ruffled Ekyt’s hair, knowing full well he hated that. “Thanks. You know, I’ve got to ask: You still scared of kunocihi?”

“Yes.”

“Then how come you talk to me without a problem?” This had been bothering Temari for a while now. She used to make Ekyt blush with her attention, and when it stopped, Temari couldn’t help but feel a little worried that she was less attractive or something. She HAD changed to longer, less revealing robe over the past couple years.

Ekyt thought for a second about what she meant. “Oh, that. Well, you’re not a threat anymore. You’re taken,” Ekyt responded. “I may be affection-starved, but I NEVER put my eyes on someone else’s girl. Not least of all my cousin’s girl.”

Temari breathed a sigh of relief, despite herself.

“Well, pardon me, I’ve got a little punk that needs my attention. Lady Tsunade isn’t Hokage for nothing, I guess. But still, saying ‘you get to go to the chunin exams, but you have to babysit’ is still pretty mean. Especially this kid…”

Temari, a jonin who had spent time at the academy helping Iruka teach, could appreciate that. She wanted her own team, and knew that if this kid rattled even the ever-stoic Ekyt, he couldn’t be good news. Temari softened a little, and asked what the kid’s problem was.

“Who knows?” Ekyt replied. “Just a little brat with a big chip on his shoulder. But, I think that chip will shrink when he gets his first butt-kicking.”

--

Okkuu was stunned. No one had ever talked to him like that before. Immediately upon Ekyt’s return, he tried to regain his swagger.

“Yeah, wanna hear what I think of you?”

Ekyt used a Shadow Clone Jutsu out of boredom. “Go ahead. But just remember, I really don’t care what you think. Until you learn what’s good for the village, you’re not worthy to be called a ‘Leaf’ Shinobi.”

Again, Okkuu was surprised, but he had a nasty retort waiting for Ekyt.

“You know, I think you’re thinking your some martyr, or someone special. You’re not. Your just a nineteen year old genin who tries to act like a sensei. I think YOU are the punk, and that you aren’t fit to clean my sandals! What do you think of that?!” Okkuu shouted, poking Ekyt in the chest. Ekyt’s response only made him madder.

“I think you’re LOOKING for reasons to hate me, based on knowing me for an hour. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. And I’m entitled not to care. And, I’d like to recommend you start working on your training more, and working on my patience less.”

Thwomp, thwomp, thwomp, thowmp.

Ekyt spun around on his heel, a kunai in his hand. The kunai was blocked by another weapon.

“Very good, Ekyt-kun!” Sai, holding a short sword, withdrew his attack. With him were Katsuyori, Kantai, and Yamato.

“Oh, look, it’s the little samurai peasant!” Okkuu sneared at Katsuyori. Ekyt waited for Katsuyori to draw on Okkuu, but was surprised to find him bowing down to the younger boy. (Not a literal bow, just not reacting) Ekyt’s temper finally showed through when Okkuu tried to grab Katsuyori. He reached over, grabbed Okkuu, and tossed him to the far end of the empty field.

“DO NOT make the mistake of picking on him again, you nasty little punk! I don’t mind you trying your crap on ME, but if you think for one second I’m gonna let you screw with him (points to Katsuyori), then you’re dead wrong!”

Okkuu, pleased to FINALLY get a reaction out of Ekyt, reared back and threw senbon at Katsuyori, who was too shocked to move. Ekyt’s arm flashed up and blocked all of the senbon. With a bleeding arm and eyes so mean that if looks could have killed Okkuu would have been dead three times, Ekyt snarled his last warning.

“Why don’t you try that on ME, you little jerk? Katsuyori’s too honorable to rip you into shreds, but you’re finally pushing my buttons, and you’re gonna start paying REAL QUICK.”

Okkuu laughed, knowing Ekyt wouldn’t move. “Yeah, yeah, you TALK a good game! But if you’re little friend is too scared to fight his own battles, then he DESERVES to die!”

Ekyt looked over to Katsuyori. Ekyt narrowed his eyes, seeing something in Katsuyori’s eyes. He hadn’t seen this type of look in his old apprentice before, and it worried him…

Katsuyori’s mind was a war zone now.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on July 29, 2008, 10:57:41 PM

hflp on
hflpAwesome. I can't wait for the next chapter.