Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 27 - Samurai Pride: The Naming Ceremony!

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 27 - Samurai Pride: The Naming Ceremony!

Chapter 27 - Samurai Pride: The Naming Ceremony!
”I’ve killed him. What of the family?” A dark voice muttered.

“Kill them all. They couldn’t stand up to us, they deserve to die!” came the reply, the voice obscured by a cloth cover over his mouth.

The sounds of swords and screams echoed in Katsuyori’s mind. He saw his father being cut to pieces, and other people, family members, some he knew, some he didn’t, were mowed down, until the kunai in the Shinobi’s hands grew blunt. Then it came to be Katsuyori’s turn.

“I don’t want to die!” Katsuyori shouted, covering his head with his hands. He was only a little boy, why did he have to die? What had he done wrong? Who had he ever hurt? Crouching in his hakama, his sword long gone, Katsuyori started to cry.

“Hmph. You aren’t WORTH killing!”

After the Shinobi told him that, Katsuyori wished that he HAD been worthy of an honorable death, as his father had always talked about. Now, it was too late.

Katsuyori was seven at the time. His mind was gripped with fear and panic, and he felt himself retreat from the world…



“TAKE IT BACK, BASTARD!” Katsuyori shouted out of nowhere. He drew his sword and rushed Okkuu, who was too stunned to move. Ekyt and Yamato kicked off, with Yamato grabbing Okkuu, and Ekyt halting Katsuyori’s arching blade.

“Calm down, Katsuyori, don’t listen to him. Relax, relax…” Ekyt took a step back. Katsuyori glared at Okkuu, but took his frustration out on the tree next to him. SLASH! The tree fell to the ground, cut at the base by Katsuyori’s skillfully wielded sword. Okkuu gulped; Yamato pulled Okkuu farther away; Ekyt put a hand on Katsuyori’s shoulder.

“C’mon, time for a walk,” Ekyt said quietly. Whenever Katsuyori had gotten horribly frustrated while training with him, Ekyt would drag him away from practice for a while, until Katsuyori calmed down.

--

By the stillness of the river, a red-faced Katsuyori told Ekyt about his greatest nightmare. That nightmare that had been a reality.

“They killed everyone…everyone…then said I wasn’t worth killing…that’s when my anxiety started…I should have died defending my family!” Katsuyori wailed, striking a tree with his fist. He felt Ekyt’s hand on his shoulder.

“So that’s why…” Ekyt whispered, “…that’s why you were so worried…anyone would be. You were young, Katsuyori. You know…”

Ekyt took a tree branch and made a series of marks.

“…Let’s say that we are born at this end of the branch, and die at this end. Beginning and end are not so important. It’s all this in between that measures what a man is. You were at the beginning of your life. Fear is permissible, you know. It’s okay to be scared. You were seven, no one is capable of facing death upright at such an age!”

Katsuyori looked away. “That’s not why I feel so bad…not anymore. It’s because…” Katsuyori shook his head, apparently ashamed of his words. But he found the strength to finish them:

“…It’s because it makes me like Sasuke.”

Ekyt had to admit that he hadn’t seen that one coming. Granted, Sasuke had come to his senses over the years, but Ekyt could still understand the shame.

“Katsuyori, you’re nothing like Sasuke. Sasuke has to work hard to be perfect, you and I, we have to work hard to be good. Sasuke took everything for granted over the years, something you haven’t done. Only one incident can compare you to Sasuke…but there’s one more, major difference- You have chosen a path in life not filled with hate. You’ve found love for the Leaf Village. In fact, I would compare you to someone else entirely, someone I think could help you very much…”

Ekyt wrote a scroll out to Tsunade, sending it off with his Water Dragon, Umisu.

“Ekyt, there’s one other thing…I can’t…you know…come of age.”

For a second, Ekyt thought Oh no, not the ‘sex’ talk!. But Katsuyori guess what Ekyt was thinking.

“No, no, not that! I mean…my name. I still have the name of a child. Now that I’ve become strong with the sword, I need an adult’s name! But I have no lord or father to do that for me…”

NOW Ekyt understood. It was a samurai custom. Well, this one was remedied easily enough, Ekyt just needed one more scroll…

--

“Only in this village, Shizune. Only in the Leaf…” Tsunade muttered, trying to look official and proper. “Damn that kid, HOW did he charm me into this?!”

Shizune, happily wearing the dressy kimono for the occasion, was a little pink in the face.

“Could it be the sake he sent, M’lady?” Shizune broke into alcohol-fueled giggles. It was too funny to see Tsunade’s fair in a topknot, with a black kimono that sported orange flowers. At her request (Though she didn’t tell Tsunade), Sai was drawing the scene, while a photographer was snapping pictures. Shizune had to remember this day. The day Tsunade played the part of a samurai’s lord for a kid she had sent to his doom just a few weeks ago.

“Huh, I guess that’s it. And Ekyt…damn, he’s good at making me make an @$$ of myself. What’s this whole thing about, again?”

Shizune read the scroll Ekyt had sent aloud. “It’s a naming ceremony…where a boy becomes a man, and receives a sword…a warrior coming of age…”

Tsunade shrugged. “Huh. Well, I had ‘becoming a man defined as a few different things, and I’m sure the kid hasn’t-”

“Lady Tsunade!” Shizune admonished, but soon broke down giggling.

--

“I didn’t mean you had to do all this!” Katsuyori peered out at the small crowd. He didn’t have to worry about being jeered, from the first look of things. Then he took a second look- Okkuu had come!

“I wanted to. Shinobi took away your heritage, now they’re going to give it back. And if you’re worried about Okkuu…don’t be. I’ll be next to you, and if he mouth’s off, we’ll just show him what samurai can do!”

His fears evaporated, Katsuyori walked out, Ekyt next to him. Both were dressed in their full samurai formal wear. Katsuyori followed Ekyt’s lead, bowing when he did, then staying in position when Ekyt nodded to him. Ekyt himself climbed up on the small platform Tsunade and Shizune were on, taking the third cushion for himself. He was up here (a) Because of his samurai past and (b) To make sure Tsunade didn’t start getting lazy and ad-libbing.

-

“Now, you, Katsuyori Amakatsu, have reached adulthood in samurai culture. The time has come for you to receive a name and weapon based on your responsibilities upon coming of age. I officially name you Amakatsu Yuushi! Ekyt, please present him with his weapon…”

Ekyt had Tsunade borrow his iron war fan. She made the flicking motion he had shown her, indicating he could get up. It was strange, being ordered around by someone else giving your orders. But Ekyt saw the apprehension in Katsuyori’s eyes, and his own apprehension passed. Upon reaching Katsuyori/Yuushi, Ekyt bowed, holding out a sword, still sheathed, edge facing him. Yuushi bowed and took it, and upon taking it, accepting his adulthood.

Strangely enough, there were no taunts from the small crowd. Okkuu had considered it, but he also considered Ekyt’s warning to him…

He considered the warning more, and decided that holding his tongue would be best.

--

Ekyt watched from a distance as Katsuyori, er, Yuushi was congratulated by his parents. Smiling upon recalling Ekyt wouldn’t have gone to this much trouble for himself, he was strangely content to let someone else have such a moment. Still in his hakama, Ekyt started to walk back home.

“You looked real cute in your skirt!”

Ekyt rolled his eyes at Team Kakashi and Team B.

“Of course. Thank you, Naruto. I dare say I was…sexy?” Ekyt struck a mocking pose, earning laughs from everyone. He STOPPED laughing when he felt breath on his neck, then heard a familiar voice.

“Pardon me, lovely lady! I couldn’t help but notice that you’re beautiful! How about spending some time with me, the Toad Mountain Sage, huh! Heh heh heh!”

The rest of the group burst into hysterical, tear-inducing laughter, as a red-faced Ekyt turned to face Jiraiya.

“Hey, you’re not a beautiful young lady!” Jiraiya exclaimed.

“Sorry to disappoint…” Ekyt murmured, his hand on the hilt of his sword. Jiriaya backed up.

“Heh, don’t be hasty now!” Jiraiya put his hands up, as if warding off Ekyt’s bad mood. But Ekyt crouched low and drew his sword.

“This blade has fallen many a warrior, and I dare say it could fall a smartass like you! On your guard!” Ekyt shouted, taking a few running steps toward Jiraiya, who took off as if the fires of hell were chasing him. Ekyt stopped and had himself a laugh at the Legendary Pervert running at top speed.

“It was sweet of you to do that for Katsuyori…I mean, Yuushi,” Kantai told Ekyt. Sakura nodded her agreement.

“Jus one thing, though, Ekyt- where DID you buy that dress?” Sakura asked innocently. Naruto laughed, while Ekyt shook his head tolerantly. He knew this had been coming.

(Note: I made ANOTHER mistake- Sakura and Naruto are, in fact, a couple at this point! Thanks for the reminder hflp!)

--
(Two weeks pass)
It was time.

Ekyt and Okkuu lined up against the other combatants. The proctor for Okkuu’s match was Shikamaru, and that match was first. He was facing a Mist ninja with a nasty gleam in his eyes. Ekyt bowed his head, knowing that this would be a tough fight for Okkuu. Not that he liked the little jerk, but it was his responsibility to take care of this kid.

--

Okkuu stood across from the nameless enemy. Watch this, Ekyt! I’m gonna prove to you that you’re wrong about me!

The Mist-nin was a unique fighter who used mostly poisoned senbon. That made it best to fight from a far distance with jutsus. Okkuu could to that, he was sure. How hard could it be?

“Begin!” Shikamaru commented. As soon as he said it, the Mist-nin, threw twenty senbon. Every last one hit the overconfident Okkuu, who tried to stand up, but fell back down. The Mist-nin drew a dagger and rushed.

“This is for my Village’s honor that was taken!” he shouted. Ekyt looked at Shikamaru, who was grimacing, but not stopping the match. Okkuu was out of it, and about to get murdered. Ekyt knew that the Mist-nin didn’t care about the tournament, he was only here to kill. Okkuu wasn’t his REAL target. Ekyt, wracked with guilt, took off from the sidelines and skidded in front of the downed Okkuu, plucking a senbon out of his body and using it to block the dagger. The jonin rushed to the floor, shouting.

“That was uncalled for!”
“Disqualify them!”
“C’mon, that kid could’ve been killed!”

Shikamaru had to stop the match now that Ekyt had interfered.

“Winner- Murakami Karuso,” Shikamaru pointed to the Mist-nin, who was still fighting with Ekyt. The jonin hadn’t gotten close enough to stop them.

“It’s him I want! Him!” Murakami shouted, pointing at Ekyt.

“Then come at me! Let him go! He just tried to kill an innocent kid!” Ekyt was shouting back.

“Shadow Possession Jutsu!” Shikamaru barked, trapping Ekyt and Murakami’s shadows.

“The next match is to be Ekyt Kaguya against Murakami Karuso, to begin immediately!”

Ekyt was ready, but stopped. In the confusion, Okkuu was still down, and not getting treatment. Ekyt pushed his way over to Okkuu. Knowing full well that his Poison Removal Jutsu wasn’t good enough, Ekyt knelt down to at least try. He couldn’t just let the kid die. As he worked, his arms bloodied, he heard a faint voice.

“…Why…?”

Ekyt looked down, to see Okkuu talking. He was struggling now that the poison had spread so much, but he was getting the words out in a faint whisper.

“…Why…would you…help me? After…what I said?”

Ekyt kept working, the blood Okkuu was losing worrying him. If this was me, no big deal. But he’s twelve, this much blood loss…PLEASE don’t go into shock on me.

“Because this is what it means to belong to a village. You and I might hate each other, but I’d still give my life to save yours. It’s hard to understand. But that’s what a village does- we lend each other strength, then find our own strength.”

Okkuu didn’t really understand. But he HAD figured out that Ekyt didn’t mean him any harm. His body started to feel a little stronger. His mother was a medic, and Okkuu could tell that Ekyt was just trying to stabilize him, until a medic could come. Apparently, the medics had been called, because a pink haired girl showed up.

“I’ll take over, Ekyt. You did good,” the girl informed Ekyt. Ekyt bowed.

“Thank you, Sakura. Okkuu…just hang in there…” Ekyt said, before he disappeared from Okkuu’s view.

--

“Hey, Mist Ninja!” Ekyt shouted across the floor. The crowd parted. Konoha’s top genin, Ekyt, was pretty well known. But few had ever heard him talk. The Mist ninja turned around, smirking.

“Is he dead yet?” the Mist-nin sneered. Ekyt smirked.

“You underestimate the Leaf. He’s going to live. I’m afraid I OVERestimated you…you didn’t even have the guts to come after your REAL target. Instead, you take on an innocent kid. Well, let’s see if your poison works against me. Because I’m not going to let this go. You’re messing with me, a boy in my care, AND the pride of the Hidden Leaf…And it’s my honor to fight you…”

Murakami nodded to his attendants to move. “Have it your way! I’m going to hit you with TWICE as much poison! Let’s see you escape that!”

--

Yuushi didn’t understand this. Naruto was a good choice for him? How were they similar?

“Hey, Yuushi, congrats on the name thing! Anyway, Ekyt asked me to work with you. See, I’ve never known my parents. But I started to get people to believe in me, even when I wasn’t so sure I believed in myself. That’s what you need! That…and a special jutsu that every student of mine learns!” Naruto, of course, had only had one ‘student’- Konohamaru.

“New Jutsu? What’s it called?” Yuushi was ready to devour this new jutsu.

“Okay, it’s called the Sexy Jutsu…”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on August 5, 2008, 6:35:43 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDYuushi learning the Sexy Jutsu?? Oh dear...^_^

hflp on July 30, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

hflp on
hflpAwesome update. Cool idea with the name ceremony. And oh god what was Ekyt thinking putting Yuushi with Naruto? The next chapter is going to be very interesting.