Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 29 - Weakness Becomes Strength

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 29 - Weakness Becomes Strength

Chapter 29 - Weakness Becomes Strength
Okay…time to make my move. If I end the fight quickly, I can get healed afterward by someone who knows what they’re doing. Wish I hadn’t given those pills to Sakura, but I had to make sure Okkuu was okay. NOW I wish I had saved at least one for myself…it can’t be helped now. I’ve got to think about the fight…It’s obvious genjutsu won’t work…taijutsu will be difficult…ninjutsu. But which one? He’s got the advantage against all my fire jutsus. Wait…that’s it! But first, I’ve got to make him drop his guard…

Ekyt attaching an exploding tag to a kunai as fast as his numbing hands would allow. He threw the kunai toward the cocky Murakami, who was waiting until the last second to move. But Ekyt didn’t wait. Expecting this, he detonated the tag before it reached Murakami.

“What a waste!” Murakami taunted, a water clone splashing to the ground just in front of him.

“Fire Style: Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” Ekyt shot back. The chemicals that made the tag explode were still in the air, and the fire sent a second explosion reverberating throughout the building. Through the smoke, only one glowing blue light was visible.

--

“Come on, Yuushi, time to go!” Naruto declared, a huge backpack across his shoulders.

“Where are we going?” Yuushi asked.

“Tanzaku town! That’s where the Pervy Sage taught me! And that’s where I’m gonna teach you!”

“Aren’t you concerned for your girlfriend? I mean, you know my sensei likes her…” Yuushi didn’t know why he was saying this.

“Hmm? Ol’ Ekyt? Nah. I trust him completely. That’s why I’m helping you. So, you ready to go? C’mon, times-a-wastin’!”

Yuushi, carrying his sword only, followed Naruto in silence, reflecting on what he had been taught.

Sensei, the time is nearly at hand. I WILL defeat you. I must.

Yuushi’s hand felt for a letter he always kept tucked inside his robe. The letter was more precious to him than his own life. It was the only proof that he had family. The only proof that his mother was still living. Yuushi was going to get her back, no matter the cost.

--

Ekyt burst through the smoke, his hand glowing with blue energy.

“Chakra Scalpel?! No way!” the crows murmured.

“I thought you said he couldn’t do medical ninjutsu, what gives Forehead?!” Ino demanded, poking Sakura.

“I said he couldn’t do ADVANCED medical jutsu. Chakra Scalpel is basic, and he can do it. GO EKYT!”

“That kid…he’s something else,” Kurenai muttered with a smile.

“Let’s see if it works before we congratulate him. What he’s doing is risky enough, that other guy has those senbon…still, it’s the only move he could make with low chakra,” Kakashi added, his Sharingan watching every move.

-

Zshhh! Zshhh! Zshhh!

Ekyt’s chakra scalpel buzzed closer and closer. Little cuts started to appear on Murakami, but he still moved faster than the poison-laden Ekyt. Finally, Ekyt fell to one knee, his lower body numbing.

“HAHA! IT ENDS NOW!” Murakami shouted. Ekyt smiled.

“For you…(cough) You forgot something…”

Murakami was pushed suddenly. Ekyt’s Shadow Clone! CRACK!

Ekyt’s arm cut across Murakami’s forearms, cutting tendons, making them useless. As his arms fell, Murakami’s weight shifted. Ekyt’s clone performed a leg sweep, and Ekyt used the scalpel to cut away at Murakami’s legs, too.

“Bastard! You gave your clone your chakra and made him move FOR you!” Murakami shouted. Ekyt, panting, nodded.

“That’s right. You were so focused on killing me, you didn’t notice my clone hiding in the explosion, right behind you. That left you open to attack. My clone may be flesh and blood, and part of me, but that poison is new to him, he can still move just fine. Now that I’m going to take my chakra back…this fight is over.”

Murakami tried to stand up, but couldn’t move. He couldn’t heal himself. And Ekyt’s clone was waiting, just in case.

Shikamaru walked over to the participants. Ekyt was on one knee, while Murakami was face down. Shikamaru raised his arm toward Ekyt.

“Murakami is unable to continue. I declare Ekyt Kaguya the winner of this match.”

--

After being patched up by the medical corps, Ekyt found a dark corner of the arena. He was sitting, shirtless, on a cold metal table, hidden in the shadows.

So many mistakes…I wish I could join ANBU. I mean, for real. I just don’t have it in me to kill. One more attack and I could have killed that Mist ninja, and he would have deserved it for what he did.

I envy so many of the others. Kimimaro and Temari, Neji and Tenten, Lee and Linda, and Naruto and Sakura. I’m brooding again, of course. I’ve got to stop that. (Smiles) This stupid smile…it makes everyone worry about me less, so they let me be. I guess it serves it’s purpose. One of them will figure out that I can’t be the carefree person that I’ve pretended to be. The truth is, things have gotten so bad even I’m confused about what I want. Oh well, the chunin exams begin in a short time, I can focus on that. In the mean time, I guess I’d better keep pretending that I’m content and happy.


Ekyt hated himself for that phony smile, he really did. But it made life easier for everyone else, and that was good enough for the time being.

Ekyt pulled on his torn vest, ready for the chunin exams. He hadn’t told anyone, but the chunin exams excited him for more than the hopes of promotion. It was a vague hope, but there WAS a girl involved Ryouko liked.

If I was smart, I would stop…I can’t pursue this girl. No, more than that, I won’t. Still…Anko Mitarashi and I might have been a good pair. But I wonder if it’s my destiny to be alone…

--

(Skip ahead four hours)

“The written exam has come to an end. Now, it’s time for the tenth, oral-response question. Now, before I ask it, anyone who wants to leave can- you don’t have to answer. If you DO answer, you’d better be right- because if you’re wrong, you and your team fail, and will NEVER be allowed to take the chunin exams again. I don’t want to hear any complaints about this being fair or not. I’m not your friend, your needs don’t concern me. So think carefully:

Your sensei is dead. Both your teammates are captured. You are low on chakra, and in the open. What move do you make? Do you run for it? Do you fight? What move do you make?”

Ibikki had belted all that out. It came easy with years of practice. Now, Ibikki waited for the whining and complaining. Instead, he got a question:

“What is the scope of the mission? Mission parameters?” Ekyt asked slyly.

“You are carrying important documents.” –Ibikki

“Documents FROM our village, or intelligence about another village?” –Ekyt

“Intelligence.” –Ibikki

“Are these documents crucial to an attack?” –Ekyt

“Having them means the village attacks. Failing the mission means there will be no attack.” –Ibikki

“This is assuming that you yourself are carrying the documents, and not one of your captured teammates?” –Ekyt

“Correct.” –Ibikki

“In that case…the correct is to attack your opponents in an attempt to defend your team. Because the documents don’t mean that your village would be at a disadvantage, since they aren’t going to attack without them, your team takes priority over the mission. IF the documents were crucial to defending the village, you have to defend the lives of many of the lives of few. Since the scope of the mission was to return the documents or there won’t be an attack, the safer alternative would be better. Because even if you have complete trust in your team, SOMEONE might talk. Best to return and warn the village, to prime them for any surprises, so that they can act appropriately and protect the Village.” –Ekyt

Ibikki strode over to Ekyt, staring at him with the meanest expression he could.

“And what if YOU were captured? How would you feel being left behind by your team mate?” Ibikki half-snarled.

“I can’t speak for everyone, but if my team got away safely, especially with the intel, my job is done. I would delay the attackers by any means necessary to buy my team time to get to safety.”

Ibikki glared at Ekyt, who in turn stared back, his face blank. This went on in silence. Then, five people spoke up.

“He’s right, that’s the best move to make.” - Mist
“I agree with that guy.” - Rain
“He makes sense.” - Stone
“Best move you could make in that situation.” -Grass
“I see what he’s saying.” -Sound

Ekyt looked around the room. Almost everyone had left at this point. There were only nineteen candidates in the room, including Ekyt. Five had spoken up, meaning they had spoken for their teams.

“Those of you who just agreed with what he said…” Ibikki began, making eye contact with everyone.

“You pass.”

“SAY WHAT?!!!” came the cry from the only Sand Village team. “You gotta be kidding! He just committed suicide in your little scenario, how can he serve his village if he’s dead?!”

“BECAUSE his death made the most sense for the village. It’s not all about you, and not even your team. The Village comes first. You have a hard time accepting that, that’s your problem. This is my test, and he gave the correct answer. You three get out. The rest of you, congratulations on passing the written exam. Don’t get cocky yet, you aren’t out of the woods, and-”

At that point, the window to the right of Ibikki exploded, and a banner sailed in.

She’s too early, again, Ibikki thought to himself, shaking his head. “Hyperactive as always, Anko.[/b]

--

Ekyt had been through this once before, so he didn’t freak out when the snakes wrapped around him, trapping him in place. He felt the cold metal of a kunai against his cheek, making a small cut.

“Well maggots, congratulations on passing. I’m Anko Mitarashi, your proctor for the next exam! Follow the other instructors and wait for instructions. If you screw around, you’re gone from the test, and that’s the BEST that can happen to you. GO!”

The last word made everyone jump, and they all scurried for the door. Ekyt couldn’t, still being held in place.

“So you’re here again…didn’t think I’d have to deal with you until it was time for a mission…well, you’d better pass this time. No more heroics, the jonin will take care of that.”

Ekyt smirked a little. “I understand, I’ll try to behave myself.”

Anko removed the kunai. “Good boy. Y’know, I usually hate kids, but you’re different, so I’m going to tell you this in advance: Be careful, because you’re the chief target this year. Watch your back out there, especially since you’re alone.”

The snakes released Ekyt, allowing him to turn around. “Thank you, sensei.”

Whatever feelings Ekyt had for Anko had passed as quickly as they had come. Ekyt could tell something was wrong, but he wasn’t sure what. All he knew was that his attitude had changed once more. It was as if hiding behind that stupid smile had made him harder, even more complex than he was before. But that complexity spawned Ekyt’s newest problem.

Girls aside, there is one more thing missing from my life- I have no rival. Naruto became stronger because of Sasuke. Sakura became stronger because of Sasuke. Katsuyori became stronger because of his father.

As for me, I have peaked. Without the Third Hokage teaching me, I have no direction, aside from a general ‘get promoted, go fight’ aspect. I need to find a direction and a rival to become stronger.

Perhaps I might find that rival in Yuushi…


--

Naruto and Yuushi had trained all day, making a little progress. Good enough to warrant a night’s rest. But Yuushi couldn’t rest without reading the letter from his mother. The letter had a date in it, and that date was rapidly approaching.

It means a choice…a move. A sacrifice. But wouldn’t it be a temporary thing? I need to find my mother. Tomorrow it all begins. I WILL find her, and I will bring her back safely to the Leaf Village, whatever the cost. I want her to meet Ryouko.

--

Kabuto finished bandaging Orochimaru’s arms up.

“You should be healed soon. Luckily, the Third Hokage didn’t manage to get your real soul. Interesting trick, switching to someone else’s soul at the last second.”

Orochimaru was in a foul mood, despite Kabuto’s praise. “It should have come to that, Kabuto! That miserable old man, his damn student, and that whole village! The time and effort they’ve cost me! But I’m going to strike back, and I’m going to use the Third Hokage’s last student to send a message. Now that I’ve achieved TRUE immortality, even if that pest uses that Forbidden Jutsu to seal my soul, I can escape. It’s time to begin rebuilding my forces for another attack. And it’s time…to claim my new body. I have him in my sites now, and there’s no escaping…”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on August 5, 2008, 11:20:20 PM

hflp on
hflpAwesome update. Keep this going.