Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 38 - Giving Advice

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 38 - Giving Advice

Chapter 38 - Giving Advice
Shizune checked in again, this time finding Ekyt with three visitors. Ekyt had finally ‘woken up’, but he wasn’t doing anything but sitting quietly. He watched as Yuushi tried to draw with Sai, while Okkuu shadowboxed. It was clearly boring to the young Shinobi.

“Hi Shizune-sensei. How am I doing?” Ekyt nodded toward his leg, which was propped up in traction. Shizune walked over and probed the leg with two fingers, then investigated it with her chakra.

“It looks like the poison is just about gone. You’ll be back on missions in no time,” Shizune told him, smiling for his sake as she continued working.

“That’s a relief. I’ve had too much time to think. Is there anything I could be doing while I’m sitting here? Some paperwork for Lady Tsunade or something? Not to take work away from you, of course,” Ekyt joked to Shizune. Shizune’s face reddened a little- if it meant less work, she would marry the kid on the spot!

That feeling of attraction earlier…where did it come from? It’s not right, I know, and I’m not acting on it, but still…what caused me to suddenly like him? There are plenty of single men my age. So why this one? Wait…I think I understand…I want a charity case. Someone I can nurse to health, someone who could use me. That’s why I traveled with Lady Tsunade- she needed an aide, and I needed someone to…well, to need me. Ekyt gets injured so often, he always needs someone to stitch him up. And it’s not that he’s unattractive, just a little young looking. Maybe I should take the risk and ask someone out…Maybe I should talk to someone first…I wish Ekyt could just be the one, but I can’t…eleven years age difference is just too much…still, maybe I can…

“Sorry everyone, you’ll have to leave, visiting hours are over. Ekyt will be out in two hours or so, so if you’d like to wait, that’s fine. I need to finish his treatment.”

The guests shuffled out of the room, leaving Shizune alone with Ekyt and the unconscious Hayate.

“Ekyt, before you leave, do you mind if I…well, ask your advice? I know this is akward, but I can’t ask Lady Tsunade…I need a guy’s point of view…”

Ekyt blinked in surprise, but gave a kind smile (or as close as he could come to one, he honestly couldn’t tell if his smiles were kind, comforting, or just freaky). “If I can help, please ask. What is it?”

Shizune blushed, looking around as if to confirm no one else was around for to hear this. This wasn’t something she had told anyone before, and Ekyt was both the strangest choice and the perfect choice for such a question.

“Let’s say…well, I’ve had my eye on this guy for a while…he’s on my team. I, er, well, wanted to ask him out. But I can’t! I’m so tense, and he’s so laid back, it always feels so akward! I mean, what if he says no, and in front of the team?! And Lady Tsunade, what will she say?!”

Ekyt shifted so he was sitting higher, then proceeded to give the most insightful advice he himself would never follow.

“So what if Lady Tsunade doesn’t like it? You’re entitled to a life to, sensei. If you like someone, you should pursue them. Even if they say no, at least you’ve said your piece and made the effort. Getting a definite ‘no’ is better than not knowing at all. And…well, don’t wait too long to do it. (laugh) I made that mistake myself. It’s best to just come clean and be honest. Besides, and I hope you’ll forgive me for saying so, but you’re attractive and intelligent- any guy worthy of you would appreciate that. Don’t sell yourself short.”

Coming from Ekyt, that was pretty damn profound. Shizune nodded to herself, firmly deciding she WOULD talk to him. After standing still for a few moments, Shizune shook herself out of her trance and finishing healing Ekyt’s leg.

“You’re free to go after thirty minutes. You’re going to be walking with a cane for a little while, though. I’ll find you a walking stick to get you out of here. And…I really appreciate your advice!” Shizune bowed and left the room, leaving Ekyt to sit there in surprise. He’d never had a sensei bow to him before.

Everything I just said…why the hell can’t I take my own advice?!

--

Ekyt limped out of the hospital, finding that Yuushi had waited for him. They kept walking and didn’t speak much. Both had a lot on their minds- Yuushi was still upset he had given in to Orochimaru, and Ekyt was still thinking about what Orochimaru had said. Yuushi had one other problem, and this one he hoped ‘sensei’ could answer.

“Sensei, I like this girl. How do I ask her out?”

Ekyt tried not to tough or show his shock in any way- this question twice in one day? Why him? The last Ekyt knew, he was single, and almost hopelessly so.

“Talk to her, Yuushi. Tell her she’s pretty, find out what she likes, see if you have anything in common then just- say it. ‘I like you, would you like to go eat with me some time?’ I’ve heard that girls like sweets, so maybe dumplings…” Ekyt mused, thinking of Anko. Dumplings would do it, yeah, girls like those things. “If I can guess, you’re liking that blonde teammate of yours? Am I close?”

Yuushi didn’t answer- Ekyt had hit it right on the head. Ekyt gave a good natured laugh and patted his shoulder.

“Just calm down and be yourself. And if you’re worried about anxiety- don’t be. You know, that girl might be the cure. Finding someone you can trust with an absolute faith…the more people you have like that, the more control you have over anxiety. And asking a girl out is just like jumping into cold water- once you get over the shock, it’s not so bad. You’ve just got to take the first plunge.”

After spouting that bit of wisdom, Ekyt limped into a store in town. Looking around, he saw a cane he liked, bough it, then continued on his way.

“Oh, and don’t wait too long- you’d regret that. Besides, what have you got to lose by asking, right?”

Yuushi had to agree. “Flowers…candy…”

Ekyt tapped his cane on the ground in a rhythmic beat.

“Both. Just to be safe.”

--

Naruto and Sakura, Sasuke and Ino, Temari and Kimimaro, Lee and Linda. That was a volatile mix. Sakura hated Sasuke and Ino. Naruto was a rival to Sasuke and hated Kimimaro. Linda was generally disliked by everyone but Lee. Lee and Kimimaro had their differences. For them all to wind up in one place…it was bad enough with two couples, but four of them?

All too soon, Genma and Shizune strolled in, Shizune blushing girlishly, and Genma laughing at some joke he had been trying (and failing) to tell with a straight face. Suddenly, jonin were now involved in the volatile mix. It didn’t stop there- Yuushi and Kantai, two nervous kids on their first date, had also picked this place for their date. Akward might as well have been scrawled all over the walls. A misplaced comment just escalated the tension. Soon, Naruto and Sasuke were out of their chairs, meaning that Sakura and Ino were up as well. Genma and Shizune stood up to control the potential fight. Temari made a remark about Linda, which caused Lee and Linda to perk up, followed by Kimimaro (who didn’t really understand this atmosphere) getting up to glare mildly at everyone. Iruka and Anko, on a lunch break, made the mistake of choosing this place as well. Anko seemed thrilled by the atmosphere, while Iruka was wondering what it was like to have a quiet day.

--

Ekyt walked along the streets, trying to get his leg back into shape. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a strange lump on the fence. Konohamaru apparently still hadn’t quite gotten the invisibility part of his training down. The fact that he was hiding made Ekyt wonder if he was up to something.

Duh. Of course he is. Now, Orochimaru said that-

CRACK!

Ekyt’s cane got caught in a pothole, causing it to break, and him to trip and fall. Konohamaru was standing right there!

“Like my decoy? Sucker! Have a nice trip?!” Konohamaru taunted, dancing around Ekyt. Ekyt rolled his eyes- it was a good joke, which was why Konohamaru had chosen to play it on him. Ekyt didn’t get angry over a practical joke like that- more often than not, he gave a reserved chuckle instead of a verbal beating. But one good turn deserved another. Ekyt used a small Dragon’s Ember Jutsu to light the seat of Konohamaru’s pants on fire. THAT sent the genin running, but it also left Ekyt sitting in the street.

“…damnit…”

Luck was with him in that respect, as Tenten came tearing down the street, looking incredibly miffed.

“Damn it, Konohamaru! You spy one more time, I’m gonna use my shuriken practice to neuter you! - huh?”

Ekyt just sat on the ground, apparently in no particular hurry to get up. “He got you, too, Tenten? I just lit him on fire, so maybe that’ll straighten him out.”

“As if!” Tenten replied, laughing at the small joke Ekyt had made. Her expression softened. “Hey, are you alright? Do you need some help getting up?” Tenten had been called the most responsible of Team Gai, or maybe the most caring- Lee and Neji were always at odds (though it was friendly odds these days), and Gai himself…well, they were lucky Tenten was as patient as she was. Lee and Gai were just too hot-blooded and hyperactive, and Neji was too cynical. That made Tenten the perfect compliment to that team. She didn’t think about that at the moment, instead helping Ekyt up.
Ordinarily, if a girl was ‘taken’, Ekyt didn’t blush around her. He still blushed around Tenten, since he wasn’t sure if she and Neji were an item or not.

“Thanks,” Ekyt told her, getting to his feet and hobbling over to a nearby fence.

“I’m not going to leave you like that. Hold on…” Tenten opened her huge summoning scroll, letting a plethora of weapons clatter to the ground. Kunai, shuriken, giant kunai, giant shuriken, axe, scythe, sai, tonfa…

“Here we go!” she said brightly, handing Ekyt a long staff for a replacement walking stick. “That should keep you on your feet.”

“At least until the next time I do something stupid and get myself injured. Thanks for the help. The least I could do is buy you a drink or something…” What the hell? Had he just said that. Ekyt, off the cuff, just inadvertently asked Tenten out. He hadn’t even thought about it, he just thought one good turn deserved another. But when it DID hit him what he had done…Well, you can’t take back words. Besides, you could get a drink with your friends and not call it a date, couldn’t you?

“I’m not sure Neji would…” Tenten started, thinking of her teammate. “…Sure, why not, I could use something. That’s nice of you.” Tenten and Ekyt got along, mostly because he treated kunoichi respectfully, and not like eye candy. But that still caused Tenten to think about how he acted a little more.

“Y’know, I’m kind of surprised that I don’t see you out more often. I mean, you’re nice, it’s not like you couldn’t be a people person…”

“I guess. But I can’t rest until I’m stronger. It’s really complicated to explain, so I won’t bore you with the details. How about this place?” Ryouko used his staff to point to the Amiguriama. Tenten wasn’t as big on sweets as the other girls, but this place had the best of the best dumplings, so it seemed like a good deal.

--

Everyone froze as Ekyt walked in. Apparently indisturbed, he kept walking, let Tenten order, then got some sake for himself. He and Tenten sat down, chatting about various weapons and how to use them.

The shock of Ryouko on something like a date was enough to numb the crowd. Naruto, being Naruto, had to say something.

“Hey, Ryouko, I didn’t know you had the hots for Tenten!”

Ryouko blushed. “We’re having an adult conversation, that’s all.”

Naruto snickered even more. “ ‘Adult’ huh. About the whole ‘what goes where’ thing?” BONK! Sakura gave Naruto a smart crack on the head.

“Don’t say things like that! If he says it’s not a date, it’s not!”

Tenten had to say something at this point? “A date? C’mon guys, don’t jump to conclusions! I helped him, he bought me a drink, so we’re even. Geez, are all of you so relationship-happy that any time you see two friends hanging out you think they’re gonna try to get in each other’s pants? Grow up!”

Ekyt had to laugh a little. Tenten, for being so adorable, could really pack a wallop when she wanted to. Ekyt was going to say something, but Tenten had beaten him to it, so he contented himself with taking a drink.

--

“Thanks for the help. I’ll bring this back as soon as I get a replacement,” Ekyt said, indicating the wooden staff Tenten had let him borrow.

“Take your time, I’ve got others. Get well soon, okay?” Tenten replied cheerfully, giving Ekyt a wave before she walked away.

“Cute. Too bad she’s taken. Ah well, it was nice to sit down and talk weapons with someone for a while. Now, back to business is usual…”

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 5, 2008, 10:05:46 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND'Temari made a remark about Linda, which caused Lee and Linda to perk up, followed by Kimimaro (who didn’t really understand this atmosphere) getting up to glare mildly at everyone.'

Pure Kimimaro...loved that line. And the whole chapter generally.

hflp on October 2, 2008, 7:32:33 AM

hflp on
hflpThat was a great chapter. Loved every bit of it. Keep it going.

andr28a on October 1, 2008, 6:06:36 PM

andr28a on
andr28aGood greif everyone has a girl geez and Ekyt seems to be the dating guru all of a sudden
Great chapter can't wait for the next