Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 41 - The Author

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 41 - The Author

Chapter 41 - The Author
Tenten sat quietly as Shizune outlined just what the deal was with Ekyt. Her large brown eyes grew larger with each word of the increasing horror story. Battling Itachi Uchiha, Orochimaru, Kabuto…no promotions…no team…no sensei…poison…illness…so much death. It was unreal.

“And…he’s okay? He hasn’t told anyone?” Tenten couldn’t help but ask. It seemed like such a burden for one person to bear. And all alone, too…if it was me, I would have spilled my guts to Neji, or Lee, or one of the girls! How did he keep all that inside? And…why?

Shizune had told Tenten everything except Ekyt’s love trouble. THAT was one stone best left unturned.

“Why didn’t he tell anyone? I mean, isn’t there anyone who would have listened?” Tenten finally asked, almost desperately. She found she wanted someone to be in Ekyt’s corner; to really care about what his problems were. It always seemed there was something separating Ekyt from the rest of them. Now Tenten could almost SEE that separation, and she knew it wasn’t a happy one for Ekyt. It wasn’t a border he had erected by choice- it just happened, and there was little he could do about it. No matter how hard he tried…he just couldn’t break that barrier down.

Shizune sighed, looking grim. “That’s anyone’s guess. He and Lady Tsunade feuded…the jonin had their own teams to worry about…Ekyt had his student, but knowing him the way I do, Ekyt didn’t tell his student any of this, or at least not much of it. It’s not like him to burden someone else. I guess that’s why he stays silent. I’m sure he’d love to talk, to just tell everything. I’m sure it would be a relief…but then his conscience would tell him that he had burdened other people…and he wouldn’t forgive himself. Everything I’ve learned has been forced out of him. It’s been seen by others, or Lady Tsunade herself caused it…”

Tenten stared at the ground, playing with her fingers. “But isn’t that what people do? They burden each other…isn’t that why we live? I mean…I guess I don’t know what I mean…”

Shizune sat down next to Tenten, patting her shoulder. “It’s okay, it’s not easy to understand. If Ekyt himself does, I’d be surprised. He DID have someone to talk to, once…”

“Who was that?”

“The Third Hokage. Ekyt was to be his last student. I…didn’t want to mention this, but Ekyt…Ekyt helped the Third Hokage die.”

--

Yuushi and Kantai didn’t notice when Tsunade dragged the prisoners away. They didn’t notice when the sun set. They didn’t notice their hands meet. It was strange that way- when, exactly, had they gotten to understand each other so well? Yuushi was new to the village, and had hardly spoken to anyone. Kantai was quiet, but still very friendly. The complete opposite of the almost-imposing Yuushi. Yet, their eyes met, and time stopped. It was akward, especially for two children, but at the same time…it was as if a blanket had enshrouded them both, leaving the outside world behind. Their eyes were locked. They were both running on instinct now. Yuushi had never been so close to a girl, let alone have any feelings for one. All he knew was what little his sensei could tell him. Kantai had a minor crush, and had kissed a boy on the forehead when she was eight, but this was different. She was just teasing that boy; this boy she really wanted to kiss. There was nothing stopping her. Certainly not the confused Yuushi.

When life takes away your bungee cord, you have to rely on your safety net. Yuushi and Kantai were free-falling. In an instant, their safety net appeared.

Smak.

--

Ekyt didn’t use a transformation jutsu- in a village full of Shinobi, that was just announcing you had something to hide. Instead, he pulled on his long black coat, black gloves, and even a black straw hat. In his coat pockets were summoning scrolls holding provisions, extra clothes, and sleep gear.

This library…there’s so much knowledge…I wonder how many know about it? Whatever it holds…if it’s mysterious enough to keep under lock-and-key, it must be helpful to me. It’s not as if I can do anything else. Damn poison…Although, it’s not as if I couldn’t use the time away from everyone to think. It might be just what I need, truthfully. I won’t sleep easy until I’ve solved that damn riddle of Orochimaru’s.

The riddle? I’ve pieced together that the void is made up of more than one missing element from my life. I’ve never taken a life, I’ve never received love in a non-family way, and I don’t feel like I belong here. Those are three gaps I need to bridge…training helped me fit in a little bit, so more training should solve my third problem…The other two problems will take work…not least of all because I simply can’t fufill the second…love of a kunoichi…who could care about me? And why should they? When I’ve done something to deserve their affection, that’s when I’ll get it.

Taking a life…no pondering there. It’s just something that will happen at the right time. But the question is…who? Itachi Uchiha? Orochimaru? Kabuto? Those are the most likely…the question, then, isn’t WILL I take a life- it’s WHOSE I will be forced to take, and the bigger question…can I handle it? I honestly don’t know. I’ve avoided killing, and I hope I do for the rest of my life. Taking something from someone isn’t something you should do unless you can replace what was taken. I understand the ‘greater good’, but still…killing? It blackens the soul, unless it’s done in the purest sense, and that is defense of another. I guess it’s up to me to decide what that means, and when, if ever, I’m forced to act on it.

Come to think of it, this has been crossing my mind lately. Had I killed Orochimaru, he wouldn’t have taken Hayate’s fiancé captive. Granted, in the end I saved her, but at the same time, my inability to kill caused the near-destruction of an innocent life. Isn’t that the point where this moral quandary starts? I don’t think ‘kill or be killed’, I think ‘kill, or someone else may be killed’. Right, makes sense.

But what if Orochimaru is bluffing? What if all he wants to do is trick me into thinking about something I don’t need to? I should consider that as well…


damn it.


--

“He…helped kill…HUH?!”

Shizune’s head dropped forward. “The Third Hokage performed a jutsu that’s forbidden…the Reaper Death Seal. He taught it to Ekyt before he died. It summons the god of death, Shinigami, and it eats the soul of the target…but in exchange, it also eats the summoner’s soul. Ekyt held Orochimaru still while the Third Hokage performed the jutsu…he may have even lent him his chakra to do so. The Third Hokage was going to do the jutsu regardless; Ekyt just made sure he succeeded.” Shizune shook her head. “I can’t imagine what that must have been like…sending your hero, your confidant, your friend…helping him die like that. It must have killed Ekyt to do that. But he couldn’t have stopped the Third Hokage…that left Ekyt with the choice of watching and hoping, or acting and making certain…”

“How awful…that’s terrible! How could anyone be forced to make such a choice? It’s…it’s as if you’re asking that person to die! But wait, the Third Hokage was going to die anyway…ah, this is so confusing!”

Tenten stood up sharply, massaging her temples. Shizune remained sitting, her face downcast.

“Please don’t look down on Ekyt for making that decision…I doubt a day has gone by where he hasn’t thought of it. That smile of his…it’s not real. He’s good at faking his emotions so no one will worry, but I can tell…he only smiles to please the rest of us. Inside…he’s been torn apart. And I haven’t even told you everything…there’s more, but I really can’t say…”

“So that’s what’s going on with him…”

Sakura and Naruto were standing outside the window. They had heard every word. Not even they had known about this…Naruto, for once, knew more than Sakura.

She doesn’t know that part of his problem was that he liked her. But he stepped aside when he found out that she liked me…He didn’t even try…but the rest of this stuff…it’s like he’s got a demon inside him, too. But that demon can’t do anything useful for him, not like mine.

“We won’t tell him, Shizune. Don’t worry. I’m glad we heard the story…it’s about time someone told us something about him.” Sakura bowed her head, the raised her head, inadvertently meeting Tenten’s eyes. Both kunoichi wore grim expressions.

--

Smak.

Yuushi froze- the feeling of female lips on his forehead froze him up. His anxiety was back, but he didn’t give a damn, honestly. This was a special moment- his first kiss. It seemed so random, and yet it fit…it was indescribable. He could tell that Kantai felt the same way.

Kantai wasn’t sure what made her kiss him. Honestly, she had no idea. But for some reason, the semi-popular blonde chose to kiss the shy, akward swordsman. She could tell he had no clue how to respond, and that somehow suited him. She certainly wasn’t expecting anything else.

--

Ekyt found the place he was looking for. He took the right tunnel, walked past the coliseum part of the hidden area, then found the wall scrolls that hid the door he needed. Ekyt bit his thumb, squeezing it so the blood dripped out onto his thumb. All the while he was searching for a spot he could mark for himself. Someplace unobstrusive…the lower right corner would do.

“Release!” Ekyt ran his bloody thumb across the scroll, then released the oncoming genjutsu. A gust of wind flipped the scrolls up, allowing Ekyt access to a door made of thick wood. He reached into his pocket, his gloved hand finding the brass key he was looking for. He fit the key into the lock (Noting that the library had been unused for at least six months), turning it, then shoving the door with his shoulder. It gave way, and Ekyt strolled inside. (bam)

“Dear God…”

It was enormous. The floor was earthen, except for one tiled area. The tiles formed the symbol of the Leaf Village. Ekyt forced his eyes away from that, looking upward. He didn’t need to guess to figure out he was under the mountain that held the Hokage Faces itself- the room he was in extended upward as far as Ekyt could see. The wooden staircase that led upwards looked rickety, but Ekyt guessed it would hold his weight. But that could come later- he was on the bottom floor now, that was the place to start. So Ekyt took a couple steps forward. CRACK!

“Wha? Crap!” Ekyt grabbed onto the edge of the floor, peering down. He had saved himself from a deathly drop of about…ten feet? Peering down into the hole, Ekyt could see a basement. Even more books and scrolls were hidden away down there. Ekyt hardly knew where to start.

The most forbidden materials must be at the bottom…I’ll start at the top and work my way down, then. Might as well make this trip worth it, and save the best for last.

Ekyt had his work cut out for him. He climbed his way to the top, his coat hitting the stair as he walked. Occasionally, he had to end a genjutsu (A nasty false surroundings genjutsu had Ekyt walking on the same ten steps for nearly an hour), but Ekyt reached the top after an eight hour climb. Looking down, Ekyt knew that he had all the time in the world to sort things out. For now, he would let his eyes and his pen do the talking and thinking. He started to search for his first conquest in this new library of wonders.

--

Sai, Yuushi, and Okkuu sat side by side in the Akamadori family’s restaurant. On low cushions, they each had a scroll and ink in front of them. Sai was attempting to teach Yuushi how to draw. Yuushi was attempting to learn. Okkuu was annoying Yuushi. What fun. But Okkuu’s words weren’t getting through to Yuushi. As to be expected, Yuushi’s mind was dominated by the surprise of his first kiss. His drawings wielded better attempts.

“I have been told that art is emotional…perhaps my emotions were always channeled into my art,” Sai commented, seeing Yuushi’s fairly-good drawing. “Your emotions may react the same way.”

--

“Amazing…how could anyone have compiled all this? The authors must have been the Hokage’s…fascinating stuff! And this one…Is that…Latin? I can’t read it, but I can pick it out…let me see…the handsigns are illustrated…let’s see what happens…” Ekyt made a long series of handsigns, referring to the book. The next diagram showed him touching the ground by either stomping or slapping it. Ekyt stomped and said the name of the jutsu, purely out of habit. He doubted that he said it right, but that didn’t matter.

“Flamma Succendo!”

FWOOM!

Flames shot up from the ground. Mercifully, they didn’t do any damage. Ekyt, however, immediately broke out his own scroll and wrote this down.

“Flamma Succendo…what does that mean? I’ll have to look it up…” (Authors note: It means, roughly translated ‘flame to light from below’)

Ekyt was only ten books/scrolls into his search, and he had already dug up this gem.

“The author…Madara Uchiha…the one who founded this village with the First Hokage…wonder what ever happened with him? Not to mention the First and Second Hokages…how DID they die? Madara was too old to be part of the Uchiha Clan ‘Massacre’…maybe there’s an answer here somewhere. Either way, thank you Madara. This is a handy Jutsu you created.”

Ekyt read the book further, finding that there were also English, Chinese and Japanese translations of the same jutsu.

“I’d imagine calling out a jutsu in a strange language in the middle of fight might throw your opponent off…that’s a good tactic, I’ll have to remember that…”

It was chilling to be using a jutsu developed by an Uchiha member he had never met, but Ekyt had been looking for a jutsu like this. It was luck to find such a book on the first floor he checked. This was his first floor, out of twenty-five, not including that basement room. Ekyt had been in the library for ten hours, thought six of those had been travel time. So for four hours he had studied the contents of twenty scrolls. He had hardly made a dent. That made Ekyt smile a little.

More importantly, he hadn’t given himself a chance to think.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 6, 2008, 5:26:23 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWow, that library sounds AMAZING. If i got in, I'd probably never come out again...and there must be so much you can learn about the people who invented the jutsu by the scrolls they write.
P.S. AAAWH! Yuushi's so cute!

andr28a on October 8, 2008, 6:24:02 PM

andr28a on
andr28aThia library isn't just a place for jutsus, its also a history lesson. The things he could fine in there. Makes me quiver just thinking about it

hflp on October 8, 2008, 1:20:58 PM

hflp on
hflpThey are going to have to drag that kid kicking and screaming out of that damn library. No doubt his fancination could very well be his downfall.