Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 52 - A New Life

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 52 - A New Life

Chapter 52 - A New Life
“The old you has to die, Ekyt. Your fighting style has to change, your jutsus need to be renamed, your manner of speaking, your movement- it all has to change.”

Ekyt had expected as much. None of that sounded too terrible to him. Tsunade continued.

“Your mission now encompasses two people: Naruto and Sakura. If Sakura were to die, Naruto would become unstable- too unstable. From now on, consider Sakura to be the Ojou-sama. Your job is to guard her- and Naruto- from the shadows.”

Ekyt looked at the mask and uniform on the desk in front of him. It was so hard to believe.

“Now, take your shirt off. I have to give you the ANBU tattoo. This will give you access to the blackest parts of the village. Also, I can remove it, should I need you to lead a dual existence.”

Ekyt peeled his shirt off, revealing a rangy but toned physique. He stayed impassive while Tsunade spoke, and even as she got to work.

Protect Ojou-sama and Naruto…I will. This means a sacrifice, but there’s no choice. It can’t be helped- I’m involved. My old life is over, at least until the Akatsuki threat is dispelled. Perhaps that in and of itself is not a bad thing.

Tsunade finished the tattoo, then moved for the uniform.

“This isn’t the standard-issue ANBU uniform. Your mission entails more than patrol, so the current uniform wouldn’t suit you. Instead, wear this.”

Ekyt pulled the uniform on- it was almost like that of an exam proctor, except this was a two-piece black…something. The pants felt like gi pants- the top felt like a thin jacket. Obviously this was to be worn over regular clothes. Hence the ‘dual existence’ Tsunade had mentioned.

“You’ll wear the mask at all times. Should you need to get involved in a mission personally, do so by shedding this costume. Always wear formal clothes underneath. Address Sakura and Naruto very formally, and make sure to mask your voice. For Sakura- Ojou-sama. For Naruto- Naruto-dono. Never forget that. Now, as you’re in ANBU, Kakashi will become sempai, as will Yamato and Sai. Do you understand?”

Ekyt bowed silently. This was a lot to take in.

“Very well then. Take this mask. When wearing it, you will answer to the name ‘Ryouko’. When you are not wearing the mask, which will be any time you are not with Team Kakashi, you keep answering to Ekyt. Remember to keep your speech and fighting styles separate. You may only reveal yourself under one circumstance- If Naruto or Sakura are near death, destruction, or capture, you may reveal yourself as a stun tactic to the enemy. If you do so, it becomes your duty to finish the fight. Taking prisoners may not be an option- if the need arises, you execute immediately, without hesitation. Understood?”

“Yes, My Lady. I understand: I am to treat Naruto and Sakura as though I’m their retainer, while assuming a new personality.”

Tsunade nodded- Ekyt’s manner of speech had changed somewhat. “Now, can you sound a little less toneless? No offense kid, but that’s your hallmark…”

--

Ekyt watched Naruto and Sak- no, no, Naruto-dono and Ojou-sama- from the shadows. For a moment, he had a few wistful thoughts about what things would be like if he had gotten to Sakura first. He shook those thoughts from his head.

I’m no longer that person… he thought, watching from a clump of trees, his hand never straying far from his sword. I am now Ryouko- an ANBU agent charged with the protection of the ‘royal couple’, as it were. Hard to swallow, but at least I can watch a dream lived out before my eyes. My own dream, but the starring role played by another. In away, that is realization in itself. Good for Naruto-dono…and Ojou-sama.

-

Kakashi knew about Ekyt/Ryouko’s new assignment. He hadn’t told his team yet- well, Yamato knew, but no one else. Ryouko’s crash ANBU training course had helped big time- if Kakashi hadn’t known he was there, he might not have found out, at least not right away.

Well, at least I won’t accidentally kill him this way- if he was this careful, I’d assume he was an assassin. Here’s hoping his training holds up if one of the others picks up on him.

Kakashi was kind of hoping one of his students would pick up on the fact that they were being tailed (or led, Ekyt/Ryouko moved constantly), but so far Naruto had only discovered ear wax. Sakura was too busy lecturing him on how disgusting that was to notice anything. Kakashi sighed inwardly. This had to be boring for Ekyt/Ryouko, not to mention hard to watch.

Kakashi didn’t have time to savor that thought- he had to be on his guard quickly, as an assailant popped up from seemingly nowhere. Just as quickly, Ekyt/Ryouko dropped from the trees and clashed sword to sword with the new arrival.

“If you please, Kakashi-sempai, please take Ojou-sama and Naruto-dono- I will clean up here. Please pardon my hasty introduction; if we meet again I’ll do it properly.”

Kakashi and his team sped up, past the roadblock.

--

“What the hell? Listen, little boy, go home and play, this is grown-up work!” the would-be assassin snarled.

“Please do not attack Ojou-sama and Naruto-dono again. If you have a good reason, I have time to hear it,” ‘Ryouko’ offered politely. The assassin sneered at him.

“I do what I’m contracted to do- that’s eliminate those two. I’ve been paid a good deal to get them out of the way. I wouldn’t say that normally, but you aren’t much of a threat. Now some free advice- stay out of my way. If this ‘Ojou-sama and Naruto-dono’ are so strong (as my employers indicate they are), then they can certainly fight for themselves!”

With that, the assassin disappeared. Ryouko wasn’t satisfied. He hadn’t gained all the information he needed to stop this assassin. It was clear that this assassin would be hell to get rid of, though.

-

“What was that about, sensei?” Sakura asked Kakashi.

“Someone has it in for us, it seems. Don’t worry, just keep your guards up,” Kakashi replied, knowing full well that his answer wasn’t going to stave off the next few questions.

“But who helped us? And why?” Naruto asked. He couldn’t help but feel that he knew their defender- he just couldn’t put his finger on it.

“Who knows? Obviously some opposition to our attacker. They seemed to know me, so whoever that was is harmless enough. Let’s just pick up the pace and try not to have to deal with this again.”

“But why does he call me ‘Ojou-sama’?” Sakura wanted to know. It’s kinda cool, but not from someone I’ve never met!

“Yeah, and I’m Naruto-dono?! I mean, yeah I deserve the title, but no one calls me that!” Naruto added. Kakashi wished for some headache medicine about now. He wasn’t going to hear the end of this all the way to Suna.

-

Ryouko chased the assassin all the back to Team Kakashi. He had been following silently, hoping to pick up something. All he had figured out was that this person was very fast, and definitely not part of the Akatsuki.

What does ‘employed’ mean? Is this person a bounty hunter among ninjas? As if our world wasn’t weird enough. Well, I’ll have to hurry now, I won’t gain anymore info until I confront this attacker again.

Said attacker had pulled a blowgun from somewhere and lined up Naruto’s head. Ryouko popped up in front of the attacker and blew into the gun- the dart when into it’s owners mouth!

“Ack! Damnit!”

Ryouko tried to get a good listen to the person’s voice, but no luck- a mask was obscuring the face and blocking out words and speech patterns. No recourse left but to follow up the attack. Part of changing his fighting style had met throwing in a curveball.

“Yan Xia!” Ryouko/Ekyt barked, smashing his foot into the ground just as the assassin fell.

“Chinese? Japanese? English? You know your languages, and you’re persistent! This is your last chance- get away or be killed in a fight that isn’t yours! Lamnia Ventosus!” (Blade full of wind)

Ryouko had to move quick to dodge what looked like visible wind. He knew all too well just how damaging wind could be. But at the same time, this gave him a clue about his attacker.

Using wind jutsus…likely from the Sand Village then. And that just happens to be where we’re headed. Someone doesn’t want us to reach that village. Well, better alert the one who matters in a case like this.

Ryouko bit his thumb, weaved a series of handsigns, then tapped his palm on the ground. “Summoning Jutsu!”

Ekyt/Ryouko had chosen his hawk, Taleo, to deliver a short warning message to the Sand Kazekage. He didn’t waste time waiting around- Taleo would end the jutsu after his message was delivered so Ryouko/Ekyt didn’t have to wait around. He caught up to Kakashi’s group as quick as he could, making sure Kakashi saw him.

-

Kakashi saw Ekyt deliberately slow. That was an unspoken signal that he wanted to speak with Kakashi about an urgent matter.

“Show yourself,” Kakashi said, deciding it was safe enough.

“Thank you for giving me an audience, Sempai,” Ryouko said, making sure his voice was pitched differently. It was deeper, but more energetic than before. This was also the perfect time to implement the other part of Ryouko’s plan to stay unrecognized.

“Forgive my lack of introduction earlier, Ojou-sama; Naruto-dono. I did not know enough about the attacker to show myself. Please forgive my skulking in the shadows.” Ekyt/Ryouko sank to one knee, head bowed in a position of deference. “I have more information now.”

Kakashi gave a nod for Ryouko to continue. He seems to have settled into this role quite nicely. Let’s see what we’re up against.

“The assassin may have originated from the Sand Village. He or she intends to kill, meaning that this is not he Akatsuki at work. I regret to say that the attacker escaped me yet again.

TOK!

This time the attacker wasn’t hiding. A crossbow was leveled at Sakura. Ryouko cursed himself for not noticing sooner. He slid in the way, arms out to protect the targets behind him. He decided to debut his new prowess.

The attacker fired three arrows. Ryouko sprang up from his crouched position and took off (fast!). He bounced off each arrow, deflecting them with his feet as he used them to bounce toward his target. Clearly the attacker hadn’t expected this, because he or she didn’t have time to dodge as Ryouko landed a clean punch to the cheek. BAM!

“Please go, I will finish this!” Ryouko said, already raising his sword for the impaling stab that would kill. Team Kakashi took off again.

--

“Huh! Ah!” the assassin grunted.

A pair of strong legs tripped Ryouko up, sending him crashing to the ground. He heard the schwing sound of an edged weapon being drawn; he rolled over just in time to block a strike at his neck with his short ANBU sword. His punch had torn the face mask and hood off the attacker. Now he gasped.

“Azami?” he muttered. The distinctive Japanese/Egyptian girl he had dreamed about was now staring him in the face.

“How do you know my name, kid. Wait…wait…R…Ryouko!”

The two had knives at each other’s necks. But they knew each other.

“A…dream?” they said as one. For Ryouko, there was no mistaking that long black hair in that distinctive style. (Pulled up to a ponytail on one side of the head. Two long forelocks of hair (one on either side of the head), and then long in the back) For Azami, there was no mistaking this pest.

“You’re real?!” they said in unison.

“We have a lot to discuss then, Ryouko…” Azami said quietly, letting Ryouko up.

“I think so…something tells me this wasn’t a chance meeting.”



INTRODUCE AZAMI!

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 13, 2008, 5:16:44 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWooo! Azami's real! So cool!

andr28a on November 11, 2008, 5:09:11 PM

andr28a on
andr28aI knew that dream meant something but I never expected this, totally awesome

hflp on November 11, 2008, 12:35:30 PM

hflp on
hflpo_o. What... the hell... just happened? This is starting to get weird. I LOVE IT!!!!!