Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 53 - Information Exchange

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 53 - Information Exchange

Chapter 53 - Information Exchange
“Perhaps you should shed your outer mask and clothing- I’m assuming you, as a stealth agent, are dressed underneath that.”

Ryouko felt he had to oblige. Azami had shed her assassin gear, now clothed in a semi-revealing black dress. Since he had dreamed it, Ryouko had known Azami was a beauty- but in person, she was beyond that. Every move was graceful, every curve, every muscle…she was a knock-out. Dressed in a black gown that started at her chest then fell nearly down to her high heals (Though the sides of the dress were open until midway between knee and thigh), with her hair in that distinctive style…wow. Even Ekyt (the name ‘Ryouko’ was shed with his outer clothing), who was SURE he could never like any girl besides Sakura, was instantly attracted.

Could it be because she’s strong AND gorgeous, like Sakura…no, not like Sakura. Sakura is beautiful in a different way. A ‘safe’ way- Azami is dangerous…is that why I’m interested? …What the hell am I thinking?! I have to protect Ojo-sama! I can’t exchange pleasantries with a bounty hunter kunoichi!

All the same, Ekyt shed his dark jacket and ANBU mask.

-

Azami kept her surprise well concealed, even from Ekyt’s eyes.

Well, this IS a surprise- he looks young, but fights experienced. But he’s got that rogue-ish dark hair and eyes…but an innocent expression. Certainly not what I expected. I was sure he’d be some stick-figure Shinobi cutout under that uniform. He’s definitely one of those rule-happy types. Tch. All the same…
Clearly, I’ve underestimated him already. Both in looks and abilities.
Amusing.


“So, we’re both shadowy operators. But I think we know each other somewhat already. Perhaps it couldn’t hurt to fill in the blanks a little…” Azami sized Ekyt up. “Do you drink, kid?”

Ekyt raised an eyebrow. “I can handle alcohol. Good for the heart in moderation.”

Azami laughed. “About what I expected from you. You’re the type to watch your food carefully. Once you’re sure it isn’t going to attack you, you eat two bites and say I’m ‘watching my waist’.”

Ekyt grinned. “When you’re right, you’re right. I don’t drink for enjoyment. But if you’re open to exchanging information, I can certainly make an exception. And from here…” Ekyt did his best to sound both joking and serious, “…it seems you watch what you eat as well. I’ve never heard of a fat bounty hunter.”

“And here I thought you’d compliment me on my beauty,” Azami replied, maybe a little disappointed.

“Well, I figured that it would be one of two things: callous of me to say it at our first meeting- that, or you’d point out your beauty yourself. You’re not the type to use false modesty, unless it suits your mission. But with such obvious evidence (idiot! You just admitted she was beautiful!), you wouldn’t deny it.”

Azami gave another, genuine (heart stopping) smile. “Fair enough. As you said, when you’re right, you’re right. But I also don’t rely on that beauty.”

“I noticed that when you blocked my killing strike,” Ekyt admitted. “I wasn’t expecting a leg trap- I would have expected a weapon to weapon block.”

“It takes a lot to catch you off-guard- believe me, I tried. So you flatter me by saying that,” Azami shot back.

“No point in hiding an obvious truth. So that’s why I’m hoping you’ll tell me why you’re doing shadowy work when you could put your beauty and brains to better use,” Ekyt shot a sideways glance. Azami realized he had just inadvertently (Maybe) tried charming her.
Smart, kid.

“Because it pays well. And let me guess- you’re motivated by something other than money?”

“Money’s nice,” Ekyt said with a glance and a shrug, “But I find more satisfaction from protecting those I hold dear than getting a paycheck.”

“Like your precious Ojo-sama? Cute girl. She’s with that blonde kid?”

“So it would seem,” Ekyt said, almost coldly. Truthfully, he had said it that way on purpose. Best to give Azami an opening that didn’t exist.

“I see. So you had the hots for her, but the blonde kid beat you to getting in her pants?” Azami replied, not skipping a beat. “No, I take that back, she’s not the type. Let me guess- you played honorably; he did what came naturally. He wound up winning.”

Wow, is it that obvious? Ekyt thought. She just hit the nail on the head!

“Very observant. Yes, I did love Ojo-sama- still do. But I also want to see a…dream, if you will, lived out. That blonde kid is the closest to doing it. As a close friend of his, if I can’t have my dream, I’d like him to have it.” Ekyt raised his eyebrows, but smirked boyishly. “Besides, he’s stronger than I am. He just doesn’t know it yet.”

Azami’s eyes sparkled with interest. “Really? I’d love to hear the story behind that. But I know you’re not going to tell me, so I won’t ask.”

“You could ask. But I’d likely lie, so there’s no much point. Forming an opinion of an enemy based on a false impression is dangerous. But you know that already- that’s why you’ve stayed alive so long in such a hazardous line of work.”

“You make a lot of sense, I’ll give you that. There IS one question I’m going to ask. And, I’ll tell you up front- you have every right to ask me the same question. And I’ll answer honestly. So what I’d like to know is- what was your dream about me like?”

Ekyt was caught off guard again- should he really say? It couldn’t hurt…I saw her face. She blushed when she saw who I was. Her dream was probably like mine.

--

“I see…in your dream, we don’t meet for another seven years. Then we don’t meet for another eight years. Then I fall in love with you, and it’s happily ever after.” Azami’s dark eyes met Ekyt’s. “Your dream is accurate- that IS how I would operate, as you’ve already seen. The part where I corner you, anyway. And I can wait for a target as long as I need to, so your dream is surprisingly accurate in that regard as well.”

Ekyt and Azami had sat down for drinks. Both were keenly aware that this was less ‘date’ and more ‘information exchange’. So they were both on their guard. Azami had an advantage, though.

He doesn’t know that I’ve already won. I’ve gotten himself to reveal who he is- now I just need to figure out how to kill him without him raising any suspicion. He’s been one of my targets all along- I never would have known if he hadn’t removed his mask.

Ekyt ignored his drink for the time being. When he DID reach for it, he tossed it over his shoulder. The alcohol hit the ground- and cut right through the earth!

“Acid? I’d have figured something less conspicuous for someone like you. Arsenic, gold flakes…something quiet, and not instant.”

“How did you-” Azami couldn’t believe he had caught that. He didn’t see it! I know he didn’t! So how did he…

“I trained with kunoichi; I know how they think. Spiking my drink is a classic tactic. Not the first time it’s happened to me, either. I was the guinea pig for kunoichi back at the academy. Apparently, watching me blush and panic because they’re girls was fun to them. And besides that…” Ekyt’s eyes shifted toward Azami’s leg. Sure enough, there was a pouch with knives creating a bulge under her dress. “…You’re not the type to let your prey get away, no matter what the circumstances. If the money’s right, you can kill in cold blood. If you were counting on me being blinded your beauty, you counted wrong.”

Ekyt said all that casually, except for the last part. That he almost snarled. Azami was surprised by the sudden change in him.

“If you want to know what tipped me off…I’m not the type to stare shamelessly at a girl. But at an enemy, I’ll take a look from any direction, from any angle, at any part of them. If you hadn’t threatened Ojo-sama and Naruto-dono, I would never considered looking near your assets. But just like you, I have a mission to fulfill. And just like you, I won’t accept failure.”

Azami hid her troubled expression quickly, smoothing her face to it’s normal impassive, slightly-smiling state. So he thought that far ahead? And he apologized for staring in his own way…certainly an interesting boy. Intriguing…he’s right. I kill in cold blood because that’s what I’m paid for. But he…this one might be the first bounty I’ll regret.

Changing the subject, Ekyt asked Azami a question that had been burning on his mind. “Well you tell me your dream? I’m sure my outburst didn’t help my case, but it couldn’t be helped. People trying to kill me tends to make me angry. But, please, I’d really like to know why you knew me on site.”

Azami balked at first, but let herself answer. What’s the harm? He’ll be dead soon anyway…


Azami watched the slender boy twist and dodge. He was blood splattered and injured, but he wouldn’t stop. Azami couldn’t see the people behind him- she just knew that he was protecting them.

“How can one kid be stopping you?! Kill him, and kill them!” came the order.

The boy steeled his gaze. “You will not hurt Ojo-sama as long as I breathe! Come as you will, as many as you will send!” After his speech, the boy coughed up blood. But his grip on his weapon only tightened. He was gripping his sword so hard his knuckles were white where blood hadn’t covered them. His mask had long been torn away, so you could see the grim expression on his young face. His lips were pressed tight in an expression of concentration.

TOK!

The boy kicked off, right into the midst of the enemies. He had disarmed three before he even landed.

“Forgive me,” he said, even as he cut down more, his sword turning red as the landscape around him. As the surprised enemies counter-attacked, the boy’s movements were all useful. Even when he dodged, he was striking. It was only when one man broke from the group and ran towards those he was protecting that he surrendered his weapon. Even that movement wasn’t wasteful- the sword transformed the back of the man’s head into splattered gray matter. The boy continued fighting with his fists. The enemies with weapons hit him- Azami could see their kunai and swords bite into his flesh. But all the same, no matter what their weapon, the boy wouldn’t back down. A sword was thrust into him. He grabbed it by the blade, steadied it, then struck it’s owner’s hands with his fist. The sword clattered to the ground. After that display, the enemies stopped momentarily, unsure that they wanted to keep going. This guy had a lot of fight for someone who was half-dead.
Soon, the enemies were fleeing.

“Fall back! Fall back!” the leader shouted, desperation in his voice. Azami could hear this thoughts: I cut him! I KNOW it! But he won’t die! What makes him so strong?! He should be dead! Dead!

Azami had hear own thoughts. This one…I’m going to remember you well. You took out quite a few of my hired hands. It’s such a shame you need to die. Your meddling needs to end, Ryouko/Ekyt. I’ve tracked you for a year…today, the chase ends.

The boy fell to one knee, his mission completed. His clothes were ripped- his shirt was cut from waist to shoulder, hanging on by the elastic on his collar. His pants were nicked in several places, front and back. More than half his face was covered in blood.

“Damn it…don’t betray me now…please…” he said. He was begging his body not to quit on him. “Please…there’s more to do…please don’t turn on me…”

The boy began a painful crawl toward his comrades. His stomach dragged across the sandy ground that was dotted with rocks. He didn’t have enough energy to pick his stomach up, so he slid over the rocks, exhaling hard in pain when a jagged edge cut him in yet another place. After a few minutes, he reached his sword. It clearly bothered him to reach through the dead man’s splattered brains, but his resolve wouldn’t allow him to quit- if blood truly bothered him, he would have quit long ago. He picked up his sword once more- he didn’t even feel it’s weight. He couldn’t- the numbness was too great.

Azami couldn’t believe what she was seeing. All the same, she steadied her aim. Her dart hit him in the neck, and he fell, finally defeated. His friends were unconscious- it was over for him. Azami moved in with her knife to finish her kill cleanly. But when she got there, she saw the boy was awake.

“So you…shot me…you’ve earned your kill,” the boy said placidly. The sword fell from his hand. “Damn…my body DID betray me…I asked so much of it…it did all it could…I did all I could.”

Azami sheathed her knife, instead picking out a senbon. She put it into his neck and made a small cut. But it didn’t kill him- poison flowed out of his body. Azami was healing him.

“You’re going to live. It was simply a fluke that I hit you. There’s no honor in a kill such as that…I’ll wait for our rematch.”

The boy smiled. “No…you don’t care about that. About honor, and fair kills. You care about the job getting done. There’s no reason for you to let me go.”

Azami blushed- he was right. Was there any point in hiding the truth?

“…You’re right. I’ve found you interesting since I began hunting you. It was a year ago today when we first clashed swords. You’ve been my strongest adversary…and my strongest desire. I’ve wanted to meet you- to REALLY meet you. To talk to you. To touch you. To kiss you. I don’t know why myself…but you’re fascinating to me.”

The boy’s lips parted in shock. “When our eyes met, that first time…I knew. But I…had my heart set on another. That is no longer possible. Ojo-sama had made her choice clear. Such a kind girl…I would have given my life for hers…I still would…but this isn’t about her. It’s you who’s sparing my life. It seems I owe you a debt…”

Azami nodded in agreement. The boy’s ruined shirt lay at her feet, torn off by a rock. She held it to a bleeding wound on his shoulder. “I’ll see that your debt is paid in full…it’s time I had my strongest desire fulfilled.”


-

Ekyt had blushed a great deal during his story. Azami, however, only blushed girlishly at the innuendo at the end.

“Well, that’s it. Bounty hunter or not, I’m still a girl. You can’t expect me not to care about a guy’s attention. And besides, being a bounty hunter is lonely. Seeing people all the time, but never really SEEING them. A crowded room can be the loneliest place. But- with your skills, you could easily compliment me…as a partner. And our partnership needn’t stop at the battlefield…”

Azami snaked around Ekyt, dangerously close to his ear.

“What do you say? Our dreams tell stories that reflect our souls. And it’s clear what our souls want…”

“Very clear,” Ekyt agreed.

Is she serious? Am I? I shouldn’t go along with this, I KNOW I shouldn’t! But…what if it’s true? What if I really DO want this? She’s not just another pretty face…maybe I can protect Ojo-sama this way? Does protecting her mean I’m not allowed to have dreams of my own? …
I was prepared for that. Not having dreams…

This I wasn’t prepared for.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 13, 2008, 5:26:31 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDHe just had to get the girl who wants to kill him...poor Ekyt, he has the most twisted luck

hflp on November 12, 2008, 9:32:46 PM

hflp on
hflpOh boy. Ekyt's got a girl that openly likes and will probably still kill him at the drop of a hat. Figures.

andr28a on November 12, 2008, 5:19:14 PM

andr28a on
andr28aOOOOOO I am loving this, keep it going