Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 54 - 'Just Acquaintances'

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 54 - 'Just Acquaintances'

Chapter 54 - 'Just Acquaintances'
Azami licked her lips, giving Ekyt an uneasy feeling- like being a snake’s prey. But at the same time, it was almost a welcome feeling. But that didn’t mean Ekyt had been ready for this. Especially when she put one long, toned leg in front of his legs.

This goes beyond kunoichi behavior…is she serious?

Azami had a different thought. A challenge…that’s what he is. That’s why he’s so amusing. He’s unpredictable in situations where others are most predictable. Just means I have to try harder to get the reaction I want when I want it.

“Don’t go thinking I’m easy; you’re the first guy I’ve ever offered this to.” That much was true. Ekyt turned red, but otherwise remained unphased.

“You’re still trying kunoichi 101 on me. You’re going to have to dig deeper in your bag of tricks to get me with anything like that. I don’t kindly to people trying to kill Naruto-dono and Ojo-sama. No matter what they look like or offer me.”

Azami actually seemed disappointed by that. “I see…what if I told you that I would stop trying to kill all of you?”

“I wouldn’t believe you,” Ekyt replied instantly.

“Good point…what if I could prove it?” Azami countered.

“It’d have to be some really solid proof…” Ekyt admitted, not sure about this.

“W-ell…tell you what. Next time I see this ‘Ojo-sama’ and ‘Naruto-dono’, don’t hide behind the mask- walk up with me. That way I can’t make a move without you cutting me down. I won’t bring any weapons.”

“That’s still a big risk for Ojo-sama…not that she can’t handle herself…” Ekyt muttered, as much to himself as Azami.

“C’mon, I’ll go tied up if you want. If you’re into that, I mean. I’ll let you frisk me personally to make sure I don’t have any weapons…”

Ekyt blushed, and Azami suddenly understood why it was so fun for kunoichi to tease him. Such an innocent mind in today’s day and age…very impressive…but who’s he fooling? He’s got desires, and I can play off them…he can’t resist forever- can he?

==

As per usual, things didn’t go as planned. Well, more accurately, things didn’t follow the plan Ekyt wanted them to.

SMACK SMACK!

Ekyt had forced his way between the warring kunoichi, blocking their strikes with his forearms as he braced himself between them. Trickles of blood rolled down his arms as he held his place, exhaling a hard whoosh of breath to dispel his pain. Sakura and Azami hadn’t quite taken to each other.

“Enough. There’s no need for the two of you to fight.”

Naruto seemed to feel there was enough reason for him to jump in. A Rasengan spinning wildly, he launched himself toward Azami. Ekyt shifted his weight and nudged Naruto with his shoulder. Azami’s eyes went wide as her hair swayed.

It was a near miss…VERY near…that was no ordinary attack. And him…this ‘Ekyt’ or ‘Ryouko’, whatever he calls himself…he’s no ordinary soldier following orders! I didn’t expect this kind of strength from him.

“There’s no reason for this fight. Sakura, Naruto- I ask you to lay off and trust me. I’ve always been one step behind you…now I push myself to the forefront and assert my own beliefs.”

“But she tried to kill us! And you!” Naruto yelled furiously, not believing this was Ekyt saying this.

“So did Gaara. And yet you forgave him. Extend an olive branch of peace here as well, Naruto. Azami will be a strong ally.” Ekyt was speaking like a sage, even holding a pretend branch between his fingers in a gesture of peace.

=

Sakura clenched her fist. She did NOT like the way Azami was snaking toward Ekyt. But he didn’t seem to mind. If anyone was immune to the charms of a kunoichi, it was Ekyt- so perhaps it wasn’t the charm of a kunoichi.

The charm of a friend…something more? Why do I have this uneasy feeling? I can tell Naruto feels it, too…

“He loved you, you know,” Naruto muttered. This was, of course, news to Sakura. She had been strangely oblivious to Ekyt’s reactions to her, dismissing it as ‘she was a kunoichi, that’s how he is,’ rather than ‘she was THE kunoichi, that’s how it is’.

“What?! Me?! How do you know?!” Sakura demanded, suddenly feeling…altogether too much.

Kakashi winced- bad timing for this kind of discussion. There was never a good time for a talk about relationships- that was best confined to books. But in those books, relationships like this never ended well.
But it’s begun now…there’s no turning back. I can still salvage the situation.

“Because he said so. He never felt worthy of you, so he never told you. When you fell in love with me, he kept silent. I don’t know why he did- I wouldn’t have let it go. But he did.”

Kakashi stepped in now. “It was because he wished for you and Naruto to be happy. Naruto, whether you’re aware or not, you’re walking a path very similar to the one Ekyt wishes for himself. But he won’t take that path from you- instead, he’s chosen to support you. I wouldn’t ordinarily tell you how to react, but…take his support. You too, Sakura. You two were happy until Azami showed up. If you’re worried about losing a friend, you needn’t concern yourself- Ekyt will never abandon us. You should concern yourselves with making a new friend. You should trust Ekyt’s judgment- his track record speaks for itself. If he says this girl is okay, we have every reason to believe him.”

“He’s thinking with his penis!” Naruto protested loudly. (Azami heard this and chuckled outright. Ekyt thought his head would pop if he turned any redder.) “If he thought with his head like he normally does, there wouldn’t be a problem!”

“…Naruto, do you really believe Ekyt is capable of that?” Yamato interjected.

“Yes! No matter what image he projects, he’s still a guy under that uniform!”

“While that may be true, Ekyt has certainly proven himself worthy of our trust. He’s put his faith in you two…it’s your turn to put your faith in him.”

Naruto and Sakura clearly didn’t like hearing that from Kakashi. But they couldn’t argue- Kakashi-sensei knew best. All the same, Sakura felt a sudden guilt.

I have nothing to feel guilty about! He didn’t tell me, and I made my choice! But still, seeing that…thing walking so closely with him, like they’ve known each other all their lives…it really bothers me. But why? Shouldn’t I be happy for Ekyt? And it’s not like they’re in love or something.

--

Ekyt felt older suddenly. Jamming a piece of straw from the side of the forest road sullenly into his mouth, he kept walking.

“I knew it would turn out this way…she knows how I feel…felt…still feel? Hell, I don’t know.”

Azami dropped her act for a moment. “Listen kid, your shoulders are too narrow to bear the weight of the world. This isn’t your fault. Pretty girls don’t like other pretty girls. If you had your eyes on that hot little number, I would be jealous too. Give them both time, you know? Besides, who knows when we’ll see each other again? Put your trust in fate.”

Ekyt had a hard time leaving anything to chance. But he still hadn’t sorted out his feelings.

“About that…I don’t suppose I could convince you to come to the Leaf Village?”

Azami shrugged. “You never know, kid. You haven’t tried yet. I’m a decisive girl, but that doesn’t mean I’m stubborn. Are there any hot guys there?”

Ekyt rolled his eyes. “Nah, just me. I’m the Leaf’s version of a ‘ten’.” When the heck did I get comfortable enough to tell a joke?

Azami mockingly winced. “That bad there, huh? Tell you what…I’ll come by sometime soon. You give me one reason to stay, and I will. Sound fair?”

Ekyt closed his eyes, then swung around and grabbed Azami around the waist. He gazed into her eyes for a long moment- yup, the spark was still there. The spark from the dream that only he saw- at least until fifteen years in the future. Azami was worldly, smart, and beautiful- but this time he had taken her complety by surprise. Typically, with a bounty hunter, surprise meant death for the hunter or the target immediately. In this case, Azami proved she trusted Ekyt by not dicing him to ribbons with the kunai hidden high up on her leg.

She’s surprisingly light for her height…wait, do normal people think that before they- never mind, do it quick, before you change your mind!

Ekyt planted a kiss on Azami’s lips. Those lips slid over his obligingly. She had recovered from her initial shock somewhat and returned his gesture. They held that position for a long few moments, both sets of eyes closing in tandem with the moment and mood. All too soon, it was over.

“…”

“You’re just full of surprises. Maybe that’s what I find so fascinating about you…” Azami blushed heavily, realizing he still had her around the waist. The serious expression on his face made her blush harder- she had thought she’d just ease her way through this one, but she wasn’t in charge anymore.

“I find you fascinating, too. But it’s not one single thing about you that’s fascinating- there’s a lot I don’t know about you. But I’m not going to judge you. It’s hardly my place.”

Ekyt left a hand on Azami’s cheek, withdrawing it slowly. Azami savored a strange sensation- I believe this is my first time getting goosebumps from a boy…who would’ve thought it’d be a target? I let him get this close to me…I’ve surprised myself. I underestimated him, and he took control of the situation.

Good to know someone has my back. Judging by the looks on his comrades faces, he’s never stood up to them before, not like this.


“Well then, until we meet again…try to sell your village on the idea of me moving in. You never know, I might find something I like…”

With that, Azami was gone. Ekyt was silent all the way home.

At least they don’t know it was me playing the ANBU agent…well, this was a special occasion. I won’t need to reveal myself again.

--

“Kid, are you high or something?” Tsunade asked in exasperation. “At what point did it seem like a good idea to French a bounty hunter who has you and your friends on her hit list?” Tsunade didn’t yell- she was just curious. She had learned Ekyt could read the ‘meaning between meanings’, and he knew personalities. So she wasn’t going to go off on him.

All the same, everyone has a weakness…this girl might be his. She might have found a soft spot to stab him.

“It’s…complicated, M’lady,” Ekyt admitted, wincing at how stupid this sounded to someone who wasn’t there. “I didn’t plan on it, it just kind of happened. See, I had this dream…”

Ekyt laid the dream out, not expecting Tsunade to understand. Tsunade had once loved someone, so she DID understand- to a point. That point ended with the wanted poster she produced.

“Azami is quite the popular one with the Sand Village. Apparently she left there after a fight with the previous Kazekage. Her work as a bounty hunter is in very high demand. In other words- your new girlfriend isn’t safe.”

Ekyt coughed really hard. “Girlfriend? Please, not at all. Acquaintance at best, really M’lady…”

“Then how come I haven’t seen you swap saliva with Sakura? Or me, for that matter? We’re ‘acquaintances’, right?”

“Are you jealous, M’lady? I’m still single, better get me while you can…Just to clear it up, I didn’t kiss her like that…”

Tsunade had to bury her face in her hands- something so ridiculous coming from Ekyt’s mouth forced laughter out of her. “Sorry, I’m not into the lolita thing, and you didn’t have a grandmother complex the last time I saw you…”

He’s very relaxed…that’s definitely a plus. It also sounds like he’s plenty confused. He’s had his cap set for Sakura for years- for another girl to just show up…that’s gotta be hard. Well, let’s see where this goes…

“Alright. If you little playmate shows up here, it’s your job to keep her corralled. And I want details, young man!”

Ekyt’s face widened with a grin. “Of course, M’lady…?! Wait, wait, it’s not like that! We’re just-”

“Acquaintances? Yeah, for now. We’ll just see how long that lasts. Tell me, are you going to feel guilty about every potential relationship you have?”

Ekyt nodded. “More than like, yes. You know how I am with guilt. Just like my kunai, it’s always with me.”

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on November 14, 2008, 6:13:54 AM

andr28a on
andr28aWow just wow

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 13, 2008, 6:11:56 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWoo! He finally kissed someone! I want to hold a party for him!

hflp on November 13, 2008, 11:19:45 AM

hflp on
hflpDAMN. Ekyt's got some moves. His instincts are better than most guy's best stuff. Cool.

nextguardian on November 13, 2008, 11:38:47 AM

nextguardian on
nextguardianKinda makes you wonder how he's stayed single all this time, doesn't it? lol