Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 55 - The Past Rises to Confront the Present

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 55 - The Past Rises to Confront the Present

Chapter 55 - The Past Rises to Confront the Present
Azami found her way back home. As ‘home’ as the place felt.

The place was a nice cabin in the woods, near the border of the Land of Fire. As a bounty hunter, she might have to be on the run at any time, so living near the border was necessary. Her home was plainly furnished, despite Azami being a cultured woman. She had been to lots of places already- China was her favorite place to visit, though nothing beat being home in Japan. Egypt also felt like home, but she couldn’t go there anymore. Too many memories.

Azami’s hand knocked over a picture on the table near the door. Carefully, she picked it up, sighing when she turned it over.

Father… she thought, missing him terribly. Azami closed her eyes and let herself go back in time- back to when the picture in her hand had been taken. The picture showed a handsome man with thick brown hair hanging from a rope. The picture seemed to come to life.

--Flashback+_

“Azami,” the man said, a mix of Japanese and some nationality Azami couldn’t quite remember- had she ever known?

“Yes, Father?” Azami, age six, replied, happily rappelling down next to him.

“Did you remember the tools?” he asked, knowing full well she did. That was something Azami had always admired about her father- no matter who he was with, he found a way to make them feel useful.

“I did, here you go!” Azami handed him his belt full of tools. Hammers, chisels, picks, axes, and camping equipment were all contained in that pouch, plus the bags above.

“Ah, thanks! It’s so great having you come along on these digs. It would get too lonely without you. Although I wonder about my beautiful daughter crawling around in cobwebs and mummy dust. Are you sure you wouldn’t rather be home with your mother? She could teach you a lot, too, you know?”

Azami wrinkled her nose. “Maybe, but I can learn to cook anytime. Seeing mummies and artifacts only happens a few times. Besides, I don’t like that Egyptian stuff she makes! I’d rather spend time with you, eating your cooking. Your stew and dumplings are the best!”

Azami’s father laughed. He was a handsome man, in Azami’s eyes. Her mother was a dark-skinned Egyptian woman, glamorous but high maintenance. She tended to look down at others- including her own husband. She always had the best of everything, thanks to her husband- a gold tiara, an Ankh worn by a pharaoh’s daughter, a beautiful home. But her real treasure eluded her- she couldn’t contain her husband’s thrill for adventure.

“Well then, let’s move on. Turn your helmet light on. Oh, and don’t tell your mother I let you carry the torch, okay? She’d skin me alive (ha ha), then mummify me.”

Azami switched her light on, seeing her father’s face illuminated for the first time. His face and clothes were smudged with dust- dust he didn’t need to be covered in. As a Dean of Education, and even an ambassador for Egypt to Japan, this man didn’t need to be crawling around in the dirt. He could have been the one wearing the suit and tie, sitting in a cushy office, making six figures a year. Instead, he chose this job- he wanted to be near the action. He always said ‘the thrill of discovery using your own hands- it just can’t be beat.’

With a ‘tump’ sound, Azami and her father landed at the bottom- the base of a tomb. What was inside was unknown- that was why they were here. Azami’s father smiled again. He was compact like a Japanese man, but his features weren’t all Japanese. He had large, inquisitive eyes and thick brown hair, for example. He also chose to wear a kind of stubble, making him look tougher. He always said that was to belie his glasses. But he didn’t choose normal glasses- he chose a stylish look, making him look much younger than his thirty years. The students that he taught tended to fall in love with him- both his lectures, and for the girls, his looks.

“Alright now, let me see…right, we don’t know what’s here, so…”

Azami knew what that meant. She took a knife from her boot, holding it and the torch in a defensive position. Meanwhile, her father took a crossbow and shovel up in the same position. He shuffled forward, making half-circles with feet, in case there was a pit ahead- he could feel it before he fell in it that way.

“Hey, Dad, that looks like a royal mark,” Azami pointed out. When she was with her father, she tended to speak a mix of Japanese and English. In a way, she spoke hieroglyphics as well- that’s what they talked about a lot of the time.

“Huh, you’re right! Good eye! Pretty soon I’m going to assist you, instead of the other way around! (ha ha) Well then, we must be close. So…Flama Invocatem?”

Azami’s eyes lit up- she loved Latin! When her dad said ‘Flama Invocatem’, that meant he wanted Azami to move the light forward.

“Lux Lucis,” she replied. (Means ‘light’ in one translation to English)

“Tezheng,” he said instantly. (‘Thank you’ in Chinese)

Azami frowned. She knew what he had said, but she couldn’t think of how to reply. Chinese wasn’t her strongest language. This elicited another good-natured laugh from her father.

“You’ll get it. That’s what’s great about learning- you can never know too much! Of course, your mother wasn’t happy when I said ‘I Do’ in Mandarin (ha ha), but she got over it.”

Azami wondered about that. She didn’t HATE her mother…she just didn’t agree with her. The world was so big, and there was so much to know. Her mother preferred the safety of home where she could claim to know everything. She had no desire to learn any more than she had to. In Azami’s eyes, that was a weakness.

Azami felt her father’s strong hand on her head, ruffling her hair.

“You did very well. Look, Azami, we’ve found it- the tomb of the pharaoh’s high priest. Isn’t it beautiful?”

--


Azami put the picture down, smiling despite herself at the memory.

My Father…would he like what I’ve become? It’s strange that I’d think of him. Why would I- ah. He reminded me of my father. Ekyt/Ryouko- I’d love to know his real name. He reminds me of my father. Spouting Chinese in the middle of battle, after speaking English and Japanese- heh, I still suck at speaking Chinese out of nowhere.

Dad, what would you think of him? I might be serious about him after all…


Azami let her eyes fall to half-lidded as she smiled, maybe a little forlornly. All this time, my father unknowingly set a standard for me- I could love whoever I wanted, he always said. I know he meant it. What I really wanted was someone like him- that’s why I found Ryouko so fascinating. He’s like you, Dad. He learns for the sake of protection, just as you and I did. Maybe I’m not ready for any commitments- I know he isn’t. But a friend who will protect me, as you did…that couldn’t hurt. I know I’m long past the age of needing your approval, but I’ve just a got a feeling. You taught me to trust my instincts.

Azami wasn’t sure about having a man in her life. Not like a ‘relationship’- Azami could PLAY a seductress, but that wasn’t really her nature (well, not totally). What Azami wanted was stability- she was alone now. She could use a partner who would protect her and watch her back.

It doesn’t hurt that he’s cute. It’s so strange to think of any boy as anything but a bounty…oh no. My employers! They’ll be here soon! Even I can’t fight them off by myself! But I can’t ask…No, I have to. I’ve got to swallow my pride.

“Summoning Jutsu!”

Two birds landed on Azami’s shoulders. Both were splendid Macaw’s she had gotten when she was younger- one of the many souvenirs her Father had brought her.

“This one…Sand Village. This one- Leaf Village Hokage! Please hurry!” Azami gulped. She rarely lost her cool- her two pissed-off employers were enough to see that she did.

I should never have dealt with them…I let success go to my head. Now I’m in over my head. There’s only one person I can trust now…

==
-Sand Village Academy

Taro looked up from his paperwork, hearing a tapping at the window.

“Huh? That bird…Azami?!”

Taro leapt for the window- any chance to hear from his daughter these days was one he took. Reaching out the window, Taro coaxed the bird onto his arm. It landed with a practiced ease on his forearm, then stuck it’s leg out to allow him to take the note. Taro thanked the bird, giving it a toss so it could fly out the window. Then he turned his attention to the note it had brought. It brought a smile to Taro’s lips.

“So, Azami found an interesting boy in her travels…can’t say I agree with the whole bounty hunter thing…but maybe this guy’ll be just what she needs to calm down. The fact she wants me to meet him is a good sign. Well…I haven’t taken a vacation since she was ten, so I’m entitled to one.”

Taro grabbed his jacket and briefcase. After a moment’s thought, he also took his crossbow off his desk. That wasn’t for meeting his daughter’s love interest- his semi-fame brought every whackbag with a high testosterone level running toward him to try to ‘earn their stripes’.

--

-Hokage’s Office, Leaf Village

Tsunade didn’t see the bright bird until it landed on her desk. It fluttered down, the wind from it’s powerful wings sending papers flying.

“Well hello!” Tsunade said in amusement, reaching for the scroll from the bird. “What do we have here? Ah, it’s for Ekyt. Oh boy…I told him that girl would be trouble…but this is the kind of trouble he needs. Sakura!”

Sakura’s head snapped up (like she hadn’t been listening). “Yes, My Lady?”

“Get Naruto and go to Ryouko. He’s leading this mission- tell Kakashi to send Sai as well. He and Yamato have more pressing matters, but I can spare you four. Oh, and promise me that you won’t attack this ‘Azami’ girl, okay?”

Sakura nodded. She’d had time to think. “Lady Tsunade, why do I feel guilty? I, er, found out how Ekyt felt about me. Now I wonder how I could have missed it! And I feel…well, threatened, I guess…” Sakura didn’t know how to react to these feelings. Surprisingly, Tsunade looked sympathetic.

“She’s new, and she’s coming onto your ‘turf’. You like Ekyt- even if it’s not the same way he felt/ still feels about you, he’s got a new friend. Somewhere along the line, you felt like he ‘belonged’ to you. Kunoichi are possessive creatures. That, and- now, this is one of the basic laws of the universe- ‘Pretty girls don’t like other pretty girls.’”

That kind of made sense to Sakura. She made up her mind. “I don’t know what Ekyt feels towards her, but I’ve caused him pain. Even without meaning to, I need to make it up to him. I don’t know what this girl means to him, but she means SOMETHING- that’s enough reason for me to help her.”

Tsunade leaned back as Sakura ran out of the room. She’s growing. They all are.

--

Naruto had sought out Ekyt.

“Are you serious about this girl?”

Ekyt glanced at Naruto. “Hell of a way to start a conversation. Besides, that implies that her and I are together…we aren’t. We’re not even friends, really. We just know each other, and hit it off. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Naruto was pretty sure Ekyt hedged the question. “Listen, I’m sorry…you know. About attacking her…telling you that you’re thinking with your penis…not accepting her as a friend…refusing to forgive her…telling Sakura how you felt…wow, I’ve done a lot the past couple days.”

Ekyt laughed hollowly. “Well, I’m glad Sakura found out. And I’m glad you found out, for that matter- the fact that you and I are on similar paths. Listen Naruto, Kakashi-sensei was right. I want to see you succeed. I won’t take your dream from you- not now or ever. You’ve earned the right to be happy.”

“So have you. And I won’t mess with whatever you decide to do now…just promise me that when I’m Hokage, you’ll be my right-hand man.”

“Me? Sure. What happened to Sasuke?”

“He messed with Sakura. So I figure I’ll just have him be a jonin for a few years as punishment. After all, Hokage’s can do whatever they want.”

Sakura interrupted the conversation with Sai at her side. It was time to go.
--

Azami paced nervously upstairs, her crossbow and knives always by her side. When a knock came at the door, she froze. She didn’t answer the door- she just readied her crossbow for a fight.

Tap tap tap- the window!

Azami ran over, seeing a hawk hovering just outside the glass. A short note was attached.

Don’t answer the door. We’ll come to you from the window.
-E


Hurry up then- these guys are dangerous!

On cue, the good guys arrived. Ekyt, leading the mission, signaled for all of them to hide. He winked at Azami, silently telling her to stay put and keep her voice down. PWOOF!

“Transform!”

Ekyt copied Azami’s appearance, then went to answer the door.
--

BIO TIME!

Azami
Age 20
Mix of Japanese and Egyptian (other ancestry unknown)
Likes: Father, weapons, learning, history
Dislikes: evil, her mother

Other: Azami met Ryouko/Ekyt in a dream. Currently, she’s sorting out her feelings for him. She’s had multiple employers for her extraordinary hunting skills over the years. Left Sunagakure after a fight with the previous Kazekage.
Her past work was as an archeological assistant to her father.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on December 20, 2008, 11:47:49 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDAzami rocks! Great chapter, I can't wait to meet her employers ^__^

hflp on November 14, 2008, 7:58:10 AM

hflp on
hflpDamn this is good. This blows a lot of your previous work out of the water. Keep this going.

andr28a on November 14, 2008, 6:26:24 AM

andr28a on
andr28aDamn it now I wish I had Azami as a girl.

Awesome piece of work keep going