Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 57 - Even it Up

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 57 - Even it Up

Chapter 57 - Even it Up
Ekyt forced himself to calm down and think. He could have SWORN that the only puppet master capable of such attacks was dead. Ekyt’s mind was working even as he was writing his report, making notes on the run.

But it’s the Akatsuki…if anyone could cheat death, it’s one of them. Well, forewarned is forearmed. I’ll have to let everyone know. And it’ll be time to become ‘Ryouko’ again. But first, ‘Ekyt’ has to keep appearances up for the Leaf’s new addition.

Ekyt and the others had been racing through the trees, eager to get home. Sakura had healed the worst of his injuries (a bruised kidney), and had stayed back near him in case any poisons made themselves apparent. Azami was ahead, with Naruto on one side and Kakashi on the other. This had turned into an impromptu protection mission for Azami. Ekyt gave her a quick glance, giving away nothing in his face. Her long, swaying black hair seemed to dance, as if trying to get his attention.

“So you like her, huh?”

Sakura’s soothing voice snapped Ekyt out of his trance. He looked at her, keeping silent for a few moments. He was relieved that she had a smile on her face. Things had been akward, now that Sakura knew how Ekyt felt. She had been so touched at his actions- or lack thereof. Sakura had already admitted it to herself.

If he had said something, I would have chosen him, and Naruto would have been heartbroken. But now that I know the real Naruto, I know just how caring he really is. I wouldn’t want to hurt either one. And this way, I didn’t. Still, it’s hard to believe Ekyt could like me for so long and not say a word to make me think that he did. I should thank him…but that would embarrass him. So, thank Ekyt- protecting me beyond the scope of duty. It means a lot.

“Yes. I like her. But it’s just a friendly thing,” Ekyt finally said. He tried to sound unconcerned about it, speaking very casually as he looked for a chakra cigarette. Sakura, of course, knew better. But after such a heavy day, she wasn’t going to tease him about it. He looked as though he had way too much on his mind as it was.

And Sakura didn’t even know the half of it. She looked at Ekyt again, thinking that he was still cute, but that his stress was so thick it was becoming visible. It almost hung around him, like a black cloud. It was sad. Not that Ekyt had ever smiled or jumped for joy before, but now it seemed beyond him to do such a tiny thing. He was so bogged down that whatever was left of his old personality was crushed under the strain.

What was he like as a child? I can’t help but be curious- did he laugh and smile, like we did at the academy? Did he have friends? Or did he just study and study, and try to fit in without ever admitting to himself that he wanted to?

--

Tsunade and Taro (Azami’s father) were waiting at the gates. Azami broke away from the group, uncharacteristically calling to her father.

“Dad!”

Taro had been facing the other way, but there was no mistaking his daughter’s voice. To him, it was the most beautiful sound in the world. He turned to find Azami half-running toward him, her arms wide for a hug. He smiled, remember that he once had to get down on one knee to hug her. Instead, he opened his arms and stepped into her hug.

“It’s been a long time…” Taro began, “and you’ve grown so much; into such a beautiful woman. I’d say ‘just like your mother’, but we both know that isn’t true. (haha)”

“You’re the same, father. I’m so glad you could come! Things have changed so much since I last saw you. No, more than that, things have changed so much in the last couple of days. And the change is for the better, I promise you.”

Azami knew that her father had been disapproving of her lifestyle. She wasn’t quite done being a bounty hunter, but now her alliances were different- much less shady.

“So, where’s this boy you mentioned? It’s not like you to get involved with one of your targets,” Taro asked/stated with a laugh. That was true- his daughter wasn’t known for fraternizing with her clients. He had heard of her reputation, and it had saddened him at times. But the fact she was strong and independent made him feel like he had succeeded.

Azami winced. “Father, please don’t tell him too much about my letter. We’re not ‘officially’ together, as partners or otherwise. I was overexcited. He…reminds me of you, in a way. He keeps his word, and he’s not above protecting his enemies, if they need it. I didn’t think I’d need to worry about your approval.”

Taro stroked Azami’s hair- he was still a little taller than her.

“I’ve never had to worry about you doing something distasteful. Despite your career, you’re an honest girl. Your decisions have always been good enough for me. Now, introduce me to this young man. I promise, I won’t scare him off. Not like the first guy you brought home…”

Azami laughed outright at that- she had seen her father get mad precious few times. When she brought home the Chinese merchant who tried to sell him on the future of fish scales as weapons, insisting he could get him a ‘good deal’- well, that set her father off.

“No, he’s nothing like that guy. As if that bozo had a prayer with me. I only brought him home so you two could talk history anyway,” Azami informed him, arms stretched behind her head.

“Don’t tell me you chose this one for me, too?” Taro asked, raising a questioning eye.

“No, this one I’m kinda…serious about.” Azami blushed, something she rarely did (except when her job called for it, of course). She had surprised herself with those words, truthfully.

--

Ekyt gave his report to Tsunade, wincing as one of his ribs groaned. Sakura immediately put her chakra to use to end the pain.

“Gravity? That’s dangerous by itself, never mind with Sasori at the helm. I can only hope you’re wrong about Sasori. But knowing you, you’re not. Not about this. (sigh) Alright. Sakura, Naruto, Kakashi- you’re all free to go. Get some rest before your next assignment. We’ll call this mission B ranked. That means you get a day off tomorrow.”

The day off was actually for Ekyt. He was on a permanent S-ranked mission as ‘Ryouko’, and it was clearly taking it’s toll on him. Leading two lives was taxing. Not that it was Tsunade’s only reason. She had two other good reasons: Sakura knew how Ekyt felt was the first, and Ekyt and his budding friendship with Azami was the other. Tsunade was going to do everything she could to steer the two kids in the right direction.

Never thought I’d want one of my ninjas to keep his eyes on a bounty hunter…but I’ve got a feeling about that girl. A good feeling. I’ll have to see about getting her a Leaf headband. And I’ll have to see about getting her father to stay here, too…

--

Azami walked over and whispered something to Ekyt.

“Oh, sure, of course,” he replied, letting her lead him over.

“Dad, this Ekyt Kaguya. He’s the one who saved my life.” Azami gave her father a meaningful look, trying to say ‘also the one I really like’.

“Kaguya, eh? You hardly seem the type. Sorry, sorry, that’s a lousy way to introduce myself. I’m Taro, Azami’s father. I’ve heard many good things about you,” Taro offered. I DO see a little of my old self in him. You were right about that, Azami.

“It’s nice to meet you. Though you seem familiar, if you don’t mind my saying so, sir. I might be wrong, but- have you written any books.”

Taro’s eyes widened a little- the kid was good!

“A few, yeah. How’d you guess?”

Ekyt smiled around his chakra cigarette. “I enjoy history. You’re the top authority on Sunagakure history and Egyptian history. So I’ve read your work.”

“Oh? I didn’t think kids were into history. Well, I’m glad to know someone still knows how to read these days. (cough) At any rate, I want to thank you for saving my daughter.” Taro put his arm around Azami, tugging her close. “She means the world to me.”

Ekyt’s thoughts turned to ‘uh-oh’. That’s the kind of thing you say when you don’t want a guy hanging around your daughter. Is he worried about me being a bad influence? Wait, she’s the bounty hunter here, how could I be the bad influence?! And more importantly, why am I thinking of this? It’s not like I’m ‘with’ her or something! She’s knew here; it’s only natural her parents should know where she is. Stop jumping to conclusions, you dope!

Taro continued. “That’s why it’s great for me to hear she had such an able person watching out for her. I hope you two will be great friends. Er, you ARE over her trying to kill you, right?”

Ekyt smiled and shrugged. “Ancient history, sir- no pun intended.” Bad joke? THAT is the kind of thing a boyfriend does to win over a girl’s parents. Hoo-boy. She’s bad for me. I KNOW she’s bad for me. So why…why am I so interested?

“Dad, is it alright if I go with Ekyt to see the village?” Azami interrupted, cutting her father short. Without waiting for an answer, she grabbed his arm and ran off, as if she was ten again.

--

Ekyt showed Azami around the village, pointing out good places to eat or drink, good hotels, and even introduced her to some people. One person who they ran into was most unwelcome.

“YOU! With HER?! I’m going to have to report this!” Ebisu pushed his glasses up on his nose. He still carried a grudge with Ekyt, apparently. The last time he confronted Ekyt, Ekyt had left Ebisu in a smoking heap with multiple broken bones and burns.

“Still blowing smoke, Ebisu?” Ekyt replied flatly. “M’lady knows she’s here. So, you can report it, but it won’t do you any good. Like make you a REAL jonin.”

Azami had to stifle a laugh quickly.

“I’ll have you know your savage, sneak-attack didn’t hurt me at all! I simply helped you save face in front of a crowd, nothing more! In a fair fight, you wouldn’t stand a chance against the tutor of the Hokages!”

Ekyt flicked his cigarette butt at Ebisu, making sure to aim it just inside his collar. He didn’t want to litter, and what better ashtray than a loudmouth like Ebisu?

“You make a big deal out of her, and I’ll do more than use you as an ashtray, asshole. You know I don’t swear in front of women, so this is a special occasion. I’m warning you once- back off.”

With Ebisu stunned, Ekyt and Azami walked on. Eventually, they reached the Hokage faces.

“That one was my teacher,” Ekyt pointed to Sarutobi’s face.

“Oh? You never told me you were trained by someone like that. Sarutobi of the Hidden Leaf. He and my father are old friends. Or, were…I’m sorry about your teacher. I was employed by Orochimaru at the time, and I heard…” Azami bowed her head, sorry she had brought it up.

“Well, it’s my fault. I helped him to try to kill Orochimaru. But, ah, that’s a bad thing for me to bring up. The view is more why I brought you up here. It’s very beautiful. Especially in spring, with the cherry blossoms in the park down there.”

Azami shivered suddenly. She was used to Sunagakure weather. By comparison, the Leaf village was cold. She had been living on the border of the Land of Fire, and it had been considerably warmer there.

“Cold? Well, it’s probably best we find you a place to stay anyway,” Ekyt murmured thoughtfully. He proceeded to list a few places. Azami stopped him.

“Listen, I’m not like some kunoichi. I’ve got a bone to pick with you first. You can start by getting any perverted thoughts out of your head. Next, you can put your arms behind your back.” Azami raised her crossbow. “Now then, we have a little matter to discuss. What was up with that kiss? I need to know what it means.”

Ekyt was startled by all this. “A kiss is just a kiss, isn’t it? I didn’t hear you complaining at the time…”

“Anyone could get caught up in the moment!”

“Then why’d it take you so long to stop being caught up?!”

Azami stopped there, lowering her crossbow. “This is what I meant when I said I’m not like other kunoichi. I’m not usually the type to stare into someone’s eyes like that. The thing is…I really like you. You understand my jokes, you see through my tricks, and you dodge my attacks. You don’t look at me like a piece of meet you can’t wait to sink your teeth into. The one thing you don’t get…”

Azami used that strange jutsu again (We would know it as ‘Shunpo’ or ‘Shundo’) to get close to Ekyt.

“You don’t get my sense of humor yet…or maybe you’ve never heard of domi -”

“Yes I have!” Ekyt insisted quickly, blushing heavily.

“Then you don’t get my sense of humor. I’m only playing with you.” Azami leaned closer to Ekyt, letting her crossbow drop so she could grab him around the waist. “Thank you for saving me. And…I don’t believe in leaving unpaid debts. So…let’s call this ‘even’, okay?”

Azami yanked Ekyt in and kissed him, pulling him as tight as she could. She didn’t feel Ekyt resist, so she took that as a sign to press a little harder.

Ekyt had never been kissed (not before he kissed Azami), and kissing like this was new to him. There was no tongue exploring his mouth (though maybe it had hit his lips? They WERE kind of dry), but a real, open-mouth kiss? And he’d never been held so tight by a girl before.

Is she simply returning the favor? Or is she subtlety saying ‘I’m into you, how ‘bout it’? …It must be the first choice. This is just a ‘thank you’. Maybe they kiss like this in Egypt? ( ß What a dumbass!)

Azami released her lip lock, but held onto Ekyt around the waist. This was akward for him- something she knew full well.

He liked that pink-haired girl, Sakura…I’m not into girls, but even she said her chest was unimpressive (Note: This was some ‘girl talk’ the two had that I didn’t document) Then again, he’s not the type to be blinded by that.

Right about then, Ekyt thought to return the embrace. Azami smiled a little wider- not wide enough for him to tell, but she knew.

No, if I have his attention, I’ve earned it for me being who I am. That’s such a rarity among guys. If only they could understand that we wouldn’t dress so disgustingly if we didn’t think it was the only way to get to their attention.

I believe this boy will make a strong partner. He thinks with his head and with his heart, not his hormones.


--

Azami let go, which prompted Ekyt to do the same.

“Now we’re even,” Azami assured him. Then she patted him on the head. “A kiss for a kiss, and a hug for…”

“Saving you from getting crushed by a gravity-based attack?” Ekyt shot back with a smirk.

Azami shrugged. “Let’s go with that. Oh yeah, When we can sit down, maybe I’d better tell you what I said to my dad in that letter I sent to him…”

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on December 21, 2008, 6:30:55 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDFantastic! Azami is great, and it's so nice to see Ekyt getting a girl at last! It'll be great to see how she gets on with the other villagers.

andr28a on November 19, 2008, 5:10:27 PM

andr28a on
andr28aThose two seem made for each other

hflp on November 19, 2008, 12:40:53 PM

hflp on
hflpThat... was... AWESOME. Ekyt might FINALLY get a girl. It's about damn time. I also really like this Azami girl. Good addition. I wonder how she'll take to Linda? If they ever run into eachother.