Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 61 - More Akatsuki Involvement

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 61 - More Akatsuki Involvement

Chapter 61 - More Akatsuki Involvement
Author's note: Sorry for the two short chapters. I submitted only half of chapter sixty! So, this is actually chapter 60, part 2. Sorry about that!
-NG

Azami winced inwardly. Explaining this won’t be easy…and he’ll probably be in trouble again. This isn’t good…I can tell already- that masked sensei will see through any lie I tell. So why not tell the truth?

“The truth…Ekyt/Ryouko here got booted from protecting you. He joined up with me. Then we were contracted by Tsunade to offer your group extra support. The council doesn’t want Ryouko/Ekyt to keep helping you, for some reason. Whatever it may be, you couldn’t keep him away.”

“So…a dual existence, then? I suppose your ANBU training WOULD come in handy for that,” Yamato commented. “But you’re operating outside the law like this…”

“Y-You’re not gonna turn him in, are you, Commander?” Sakura felt uneasy. The last thing Ekyt/Ryouko needed was another black mark on his record. He hadn’t done anything criminal, after all.

“No, but I wouldn’t be out of line to,” Yamato said, almost sternly. “I’m just shocked that you would do such a thing. What made you decide to do this?”

Ekyt gulped. “A number of things, not least of all the council seeming to dislike me, for one reason or another.” (fidget, fidget)

“Those old crones hate everyone,” Naruto grumbled, kicking at some stones on the ground aimlessly. Everyone else seemed to pick up on the fact that Azami was a big reason for Ekyt’s decision.

“I’m sorry if I’ve disappointed you, but I’m just so tired of the politics. This way, I’m more free. I’m tired of getting punished for things that aren’t my fault. It gets tiresome. I’m sure you can all understand that. Please understand one thing, if nothing else- I aim to protect you. With or without your permission to do so.” Ekyt bowed his head, deep in thought.

“Well, I don’t see what it’ll hurt. For now, no one mentions this, understood?” Kakashi took charge of the situation, making sure to get an answer from everyone.

--

Azami was ashamed of herself. She had already told Ryouko exactly what she had planned and why. She didn’t expect forgiveness or understanding. She waited for the tongue lashing she knew she deserved.

It’s my fault that he’s so hurt. I-I’m normally so composed, but I’ve never been more scared! Scared for him, scared for myself! And worst of all, I feel like I’ve betrayed his trust.

“So it’s my fault they found you. I’m really sorry!”

Ryouko had been patched up, so he wasn’t as strong as he wanted. He had torn his shirt with that stunt he had pulled, so his stomach was covered with bandages, leaving his chest exposed. His right arm had been damaged as well, from the shoulder to the wrist.

“Please, don’t apologize, Captain. They would have found me sooner or later. I’m just relived you’re alright.” Ryouko put his left arm out, patting Azami’s head. She had been kneeling next to him, apologizing profusely. “I understand why you did what you did. I’m not an easy person to read, so it’s my fault for not making myself clear. Don’t give it another thought. Just trust me when I say that I really like you. I wouldn’t have taken this job if I didn’t.”

Azami carefully hugged him, making sure not to undo Sakura’s handiwork. She listened for his calming heartbeat, finding it’s source then laying her head down. She felt his heartbeat speed up a little- thank, do doubt, to the attention she was giving him.

Ryouko put his good hand on Azami’s head, letting it rest gently on her thick black hair. He had been wanting moments like this for a long time now. He had always dreamed that it would be Sakura. Dreams didn’t always work out the way you thought they would. Sometimes they threw in a curveball- that wasn’t always bad. If things went exactly as you planned, life wouldn’t be thrilling, or even worth living.

Ryouko’s other arm hurt like hell, but he managed to lay it on Azami’s back. He felt a bulge under her dress- a bandage.

“When did you get hurt?”

Azami didn’t move. She just mumbled into his chest. “Never mind, it’s fine. Hold still, I’m comfortable. And, don’t call me captain right now. Just ‘Azami’. We’re not working right now.”

The two stayed like that for little while, taking turns muttering about how they should get moving. Ironically, it was when they started to move that they had to stop.

“Don’t move. Either of you.”

Ryouko knew that voice all too well.

“Itachi…”

Itachi was standing straight up in front of them. No weapons.

“I need to talk to you, Ekyt. I’m afraid it can’t wait. Please don’t get violent, I’m not here for that.”

Ekyt/Ryouko picked Azami up and placed her behind him. She motioned for her crossbow, but Ekyt shook his head.

“You’ve got my attention, Itachi. What is it?”

He didn’t come to kill me…if he did, he would have just done it now, while my guard was down. So what’s he after? I’ve never done anything but fight him. But even then, it was strange- like he was taking pity on me or something, and letting me live. So why do this?

Maybe I can get some answers as well as give some.


Itachi explained himself in the simplest way possible. “I want my brother to have a stepping stone to get to me. Someone for him to defeat on his way to me. That person is you. Naruto is too personally involved, and the Akatsuki may get him yet. You, on the other hand…I have confidence that you’ll realize your potential. Potential I deny even to the Akatsuki. In another time, you and I would have been comrades. It can’t be helped. Now, remember- speak of this to no one. If you do, I’ll see to it that you’re killed, and that this girl is killed. I don’t want to resort to more evil, but this is how it has to be.”

Ekyt shook his head. “You’re looking out for Sasuke? I won’t ask you why- I’m assuming you would have told me if you wanted me to know.”

Itachi closed his eyes, letting the Sharingan disappear. He left Ekyt with a little bit of advice.

“It’s a shame you weren’t born an Uchiha. You could have done great things with the Sharingan.”

With that, Itachi was gone, and Ekyt was left with more questions than before.

--

Whoomp.

“OW! HAHA, THAT HURT! STUPID LITTLE S***!”

Tsunade glared at the foul-mouthed scroll that Ekyt had just dropped on her desk.

“Oh yeah, here. I forgot, I took his ring, too,” Ekyt told her, dropping an Akatsuki ring on Tsunade’s desk. “I figured it was only fair, since he took a fair amount of flesh off me.”

“You brought me a foul-mouthed scroll? Why, again?” Tsunade poked at the scroll that kept cursing at her, thinking it was one of those gag gifts.

“Funny thing- this guy is immortal. His jutsu…it’s just beyond explanation. It could have killed me, or just as easily anyone, regardless of skill level. If he gets your blood, it’s all over. But, either way…if you’re sure you want me opening that thing…”

Ekyt replaced the cigarette in his mouth, then undid the seal on the scroll. He reached in with a pair of tongs and fished out Hidan’s head.

“Stay back,” Ekyt warned, dropping the head on the desk.

“Ekyt…where’s the rest of him?” Tsunade was absolutely disgusted.

Ekyt shrugged. “Here and there. Whatever left from my exploding tags probably got picked up by his partner. The other guy had five hearts, and he could repair this clown.”

Tsunade noticed Ekyt’s language was more terse and laid-back than usual. Still upset about the council’s decision. I don’t like it either, Ekyt. I really don’t. Hang in there. Now that I’m on your side, maybe we can get you a team, and even another promotion. I’ll find a way.

Asuma ambled in. “Hey, Lady Tsunade, I- what the hell is that?”

Tsunade closed her eyes, shaking her head. “This is part of an Akatsuki member. Ekyt kindly dropped him off.”

“Kinda like a cat dragging in a dead fish?”

Tsunade laughed. “More or less.”

“I’M GONNA F****** KILL YOU!” Hidan piped up again, trying to bite Ekyt.

Asuma kind of laughed. “Sounds like the guys who were hunting me. Anyway, I came up to see if I could get a break here. I’ve got some personal business this weekend and I need someone to watch my team. Shikamaru can lead, but this is kind of a big mission, you know? I’d just feel better if they had a fourth member around.”

Ah, Tsunade thought, It’s the second weekend of the month- must be meeting Kurenai. Those two really believe that none of us have figured it out?

“Right, right. Well, Ekyt doesn’t have anything more pressing. In fact, I’d like to prep him and Shikamaru for jonin on this mission,” Tsunade said thoughtfully. “It’s about time I added to my stock of jonin, and those two are more than ready.”

“A slacker and a kid who won’t smoke for real?” Asuma said with a laugh. “Well, I guess they know their stuff. Alright. I know I can trust Ekyt, anyway.”

--

The Akatsuki met to determine their plans.

“Did he really buy that, Itachi? ‘I want you to be a stepping stone’, un? How stupid of him!”

“I wouldn’t be so certain he believed it. I just gave him no choice but to listen,” Itachi replied calmly.

“Either way, while he’s pondering that, the Jinchuuriki will be more open. Losing Hidan was unfortunate, but passable,” Pein informed the group of black-cloaked villains. “Now then, shall we have his body devoured? I’m sure Zetsu could use a meal…”

Kakuzu chimed in this time. “No. The fool is still alive. I hate to say it, but preserve his body. His head will return in time. Even an idiot like that is worth the profits he brings.”

The meeting adjourned, the Akatsuki went their separate ways to plan. No one acknowledged it, but the loss of one member and his ring was worse than any of them cared to think. All the more reason to plan for tomorrow. Even Jinchuuriki’s and their guardians ran out of luck sooner or later.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on February 1, 2009, 1:40:00 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDHe should fill Hidan's scroll with exploding tags...or something. And what's Itachi's sneaky scheem-y thing??

andr28a on December 1, 2008, 12:59:06 AM

andr28a on
andr28aPoor Hidan LOL

hflp on November 27, 2008, 11:56:57 AM

hflp on
hflp-_-'. He should've just punted that guy's head as far as he could.