Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 64 - Time and Time Again

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 64 - Time and Time Again

Chapter 64 - Time and Time Again
Ekyt stared down ‘Itachi’, ‘Zetsu’, Hidan, and ‘Kakuzu’. He glared forward, a thought niggling at him. It wasn’t a good one. It was typical of Ekyt, and it was damaging.

If I had this much trouble against the ‘imitation Akatsuki’…then I’ve overestimated my strength. And if I’ve overestimated it, as big a pessimist as I am…Then it’s all been for nothing.

No, you’ve got bigger problems now. Of this group, you know only Hidan is real. If you kill the others, then that means you’re only killing their host bodies- innocent people. No, not innocent…supporters. But can I justify that? Am I even good enough to kill them?


“You’re second-guessing yourself? At this stage of the game? You ARE foolish…” ‘Itachi’s’ eyes glowed, boring into Ekyt. “You’ve already chosen to oppose us. You can run, or you can face us to the bitter end. If you run…you aren’t half the man I thought you were…”

“Stop spouting your philosophical bullsh**,” Ekyt snarled, out of character. “How could a genius like you ever think like me? You don’t know my thought process, and that might be my only advantage. I think I’ve met the real you before, Itachi. And I know why I survived.”

Itachi seemed vaguely amused. “Oh? Why was that?”

“Because I was unpredictable to you. Everyone sees you and starts shaking. I saw you and attacked. You could read my jutsus, but my mind isn’t a typical Shinobi mind- you can’t anticipate what I’m going to do. THAT is why I survived. It’s also why you’re not going to kill me now. Because…” Ekyt lit a new cigarette, shifting his weight, forgetting about his injuries, and setting himself straight.
“Because if I DON’T stop you, I’m not half the man I KNOW I am!”

Ekyt thought about his possible promotion to jonin, his new girlfriend (Azami), and the people that had been killed by the Akatsuki. Proxies or in person, these people needed to be stopped. People could only get hurt if nothing was done.

Itachi is the strongest…but I’m going to take out Kakuzu first. That way he can’t stitch Hidan together again. My best chance is to throw off Itachi’s genjutsu while I fight the others. I’m not going to use the Reaper Death seal on a bunch of fakes, either. I don’t know the plant guy’s fighting style, and I doubt I’ve seen everything Kakuzu can do. So Kakuzu and plant-dude first, then. Best not to let them strut their stuff at all. And I’ll need a way to block that damned scythe…damned…damned…Orochimaru!

Ekyt bit his thumbs, his back to Itachi. When he spun around, Hidan’s scythe was flying towards him. Itachi’s Fireball Jutsu was on it’s way, too.

“TRIPLE RASHOMON!” Ekyt yelled, smashing his palms into the ground.

--

“We’ve got to hurry! This way!” Idate kept running, hoping everyone could follow him. He had to slow down a little.

“(cough)I didn’t expect this just after we return from our honeymoon,” Hayate said to Yukao. (The two tied the knot in Issue 50)

“I wouldn’t miss this one, Hayate. I know very well what Ekyt means to you, and you know that he’s grown on me as well,” Yukao replied, her ANBU mask in place, but a smile in her voice.

“He has that effect on people. Now that you two are in on the secret, it takes some of the pressure off me. I might have been able to handle these guys in my prime, but not so much now. Too many girls and too much sake can take it’s toll on you.”

Hayate and Yukao were still in awe of the fact that Master Jiraiya himself was coming to help. It was a welcome surprise. Not everyone went on a mission with the Toad Mountain Sage. It was such an incredible chance to learn, and it would be a great story to tell their children someday.

“Wait…Hayate, Yukao- wait until I say to get involved. We’re dealing with a fragile situation. Two of them, actually. The first is the Akatsuki. The second is Ekyt’s ego. He has zero self-esteem, and if we save him before we need to…Well, I can’t have him moping around.”

Jiraiya noticed how talented Ekyt was, even back when no one else seemed to. It was true that if you wanted something, and you really gave it every ounce of your being, you could get it. Ekyt had become strong, but he didn’t dare believe it. And Jiraiya knew that. But he had seen the kid in action. But nothing could have prepared him for seeing…

Triple Rashomon? He learned Orochimaru’s defensive jutsu?! I wish Sarutobi-sensei was still alive, but I remember his prediction. Three new Sannin, and the one who helped them get there…But he can’t know that. Knowing Ekyt, he’ll stop aiming to be legendary, and just settle for ‘stepping stone’. For now, we watch. Then we move in at the right moment.

--

I’ll die to win, because I’m born to lose…No. I’m going to be a jonin. I’m going to have a beautiful girl waiting for me at home. I’m going to protect the dream I once had…I can’t afford not to. Four on one, and this is the ‘Akatsuki’…I’ve got cover. I need to think. Hidan- physical attacks. Kakuzu- range. Itachi- range. Plant guy…below!

Ekyt leapt up just as Zetsu burrowed from underneath him. Some part of Ekyt’s consciousness had been prepared for that move, as he threw an explosive-laced knife right into Zetsu’s big green mouth. Zetsu had to spit it out and throw it, but still caught some of the impact from the blast.

While in the air, Ekyt aimed for Hidan. He saw the scythe coming, and used a replacement jutsu.

Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing! Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing!

Ekyt used the jutsu twice, just a split-second apart. The first try was released. The second try hit just as the chakra flow to Hidan’s senses was blocked by his first release. The genjutsu struck hard.

Ekyt used a release himself, freeing himself from Itachi’s attack. He almost didn’t see the threads from Kakuzu in time. He turned his body to the side just enough, forcing the threads to miss him. Still falling, Ekyt bounced himself off the first wall of the three Rashomon, his hand throwing two shuriken.

“Multi Shuriken Shadow Clones!”

Two shuriken became two thousand, all aiming for Kakuzu. Before they hit, Ekyt used a body flicker to land in front of Kakuzu. He grabbed Kakuzu by his cloak and threw him into the shuriken before he could dodge away.

That left Itachi. But the problem- Ekyt’s chakra was almost gone. As he always did against Itachi, he reached inside for his emotional chakra.

But it wasn’t there.

Damn it! That chakra was dependent on my anger and depression! I don’t have as much now, so the chakra is gone! Not gone, no…I feel something. But it’s normal chakra. It wasn’t there before. Maybe my emotions haven’t completely deserted me…

Ekyt rushed Itachi, reaching for a kunai. Time to put his unpredictability to work. Itachi started to make handsigns, wanting to have something to lead to his genjutsu, kind of a precursor. Ekyt let the kunai fly in such a way that the butt-end struck Itachi’s hands, cracking a couple knuckles. That apparently shocked the Itachi surrogate, because he didn’t have time to dodge as Ekyt’s hand blurred and cracked his jaw. With so much chakra behind the strike, Itachi was hit for real, and he flew, skidding into the ground several feet away.

Ekyt had broken at least one knuckle with that punch, and he was panting from the effort. Holding off four fake Akatsuki members was tiring business. He needed to find a way to kill them. No, better yet, he needed to re-group. For the time being, he retreated to the area behind the Triple Rashomon gates.

--

“Now we help him. He’s handled himself long enough. Let’s go!”

Jiraiya, Yukao, and Hayate, dropped in next to Ekyt.

“Take a breather, kid- you’ve earned it. Now leave the clean-up to us!”

Ekyt was too tired to argue. “Watch out for the scythe. The guy throwing it…if he swallows your blood, he becomes a voodoo doll. Anything he does to himself, he does to you. And he can’t die. The one with the weird headdress uses these-”

Jiraiya nodded grimly. “I know. I managed to catch them practicing one day, and I saw their techniques. But I couldn’t believe it.”

“One more thing- those are fakes. I don’t know where the real ones are, but all of them but the blond with the scythe are phony.”

Ekyt started to get up, but Hayate put a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

“(cough) I haven’t met your girlfriend yet. Can’t have you dying on me, can I? Catch up with (cough) your team and finish your mission.”

“Right, leave the clean-up to us!” Yukao agreed, patting Ekyt’s head. “I can’t wait to meet her, too!”

“Pretty girls don’t like other pretty girls, you two might not getting along,” Ekyt finally managed to joke.

“Tell me you didn’t just hit on my wife…” Hayate smirked.

“I don’t think my girl would appreciate it if I did, so I’ll go with ‘no, I didn’t’,” Ekyt shot back. It seemed having Azami in his life made him more light-hearted and even more fun. He was still all about training, but he could also crack a smile and tell a joke now and then. In a way, Azami was perfect for Ekyt, because she needed him just as much as he needed her. He hadn’t figured it out yet, but Ekyt needed someone to protect. Someone close, and personal, rather than just a general idea that he was protecting ‘someone, somewhere’.

“Hayate, go easy on him…I think he could beat you up now,” Yukao joked, tapping her husband on the arm. “He’s not some little genin that can barely hold a sword anymore.”

“Hate to break the fun up, kids, but we’ve got to handle this now. Ekyt, go back to your team. Leave this to us.” Jiraiya started toward the fight, making handsigns. “SUMMONING JUTSU: BRING DOWN THE HOUSE!”

Just as his toad crushed Hidan and Kakuzu, Jiraiya made a mental note to talk with Ekyt.
Now that his head’s on straight, it’s time he got some kind of regular instruction. It can’t be me, but I’ll find him a good sensei. Just maybe he WILL make legend someday. If not, he’ll still be a good jonin, whether or not he ever officially gets the rank.

Hayate and Yukao had their swords drawn, but the fight was over. The real Akatsuki members withdrew their chakra from the hosts upon Jiraiya arriving. Hidan had been carried off by Zetsu. That was what the Akatsuki had set out to do, so mission accomplished.

--

Choji carried Shikamaru to Tanzaku town, while Ino tried to tolerate Idate. In Tanzaku town, there was a clinic that could handle Shikamaru’s minor injuries; there was food aplenty for Choji; that just left Ino wishing Sasuke was here, instead of the irritating Idate.

“If you make ONE more pass at me, I SWEAR…” Ino started to rear back with a punch, but Ryouko’s hand stopped her.

“You can’t kill the client, Ino. It’s bad for business,” Ekyt said, a tired smile on his scratched and bruised face. “That said…” Ekyt went into ‘Ryouko mode’ and took a step toward Idate.

“If you keep hitting on her, I’ll be dealing with you. And let me warn you- I don’t care if your big brother was a sensei of mine, and I don’t care how fast you run- I WILL catch you, and it won’t be pleasant. So go hit a strip club, or keep it in your pants until you get home.”

Idate backed down, and Ekyt let his thoughts drift to his own home.

--

“I hope he’ll be home soon…” Azami was never this nervous. But she really missed Ekyt. This place was still foreign to her, and he was comforting.

“Why?” Linda asked sarcastically, making a face. “Trust me, you’d be better off without that guy!”

“You threw him away. I don’t plan to let him go,” Azami answered simply, shrugging.

“Yeah. One girl’s trash is another girl’s treasure, I guess. I guess trash WOULD be attracted to trash anyway.” Linda shrugged. Azami tackled her.

Ekyt walked in the gates, and the first thing he saw was Azami pinning Linda to the ground.

“YOU dog!” she shouted.

As Ekyt rushed over to break up the fight, a small corner of his mouth raised in a smile.

It’s good to be home…such as it is.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on February 1, 2009, 7:55:32 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDLOL! "Go hit a strip club" I loved that, such a ridiculous image...and so fitting too. I'm glad things are on the up for Ekyt though, he deserves some reward for all his hard work.

hflp on December 11, 2008, 4:25:26 AM

hflp on
hflpAlright. He's happy...ish. And he's got a girl to beat up girls for him. Everything is coming up Ekyt. About damn time.

andr28a on December 10, 2008, 5:17:03 PM

andr28a on
andr28aEkyt seems to be more human then a depressed Zombie now. It's great.

Good work as usual