Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 65 - 1 Year Anniversary Special!

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 65 - 1 Year Anniversary Special!

Chapter 65 - 1 Year Anniversary Special!
ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL!

It’s been one year since I first submitted ‘Tides of Time’. Thank you very much to all my readers. I always look forward to your comments (and to my fellow authors, I enjoy giving them back when I FINALLY get a break to do so ^^’). Thank you again. Merry Christmas to you all, here’s hoping for another year of ‘Tides of Time!’ (next come the action figures, movies, anime series, and fame…right? What? That doesn’t come after a year? …oh. XD ) Well this issue will be a little different, but I hope all of you will enjoy it anyway. E ya soon!

-NG

Jiraiya returned with Yukao and Hayate, all of them unscathed from battle. Jiraiya had something on his mind, though.

“Hayate, you know Ekyt pretty well, right?” Jiraiya began, reaching into his vest to look for a scroll.

“(Koff) I guess so. Is there something I should know, Master Jiraiya (koff)?” Hayate turned his head to face Jiraiya, not sure he liked the legend’s ominous tone.

“No, not really. I’ve just got a question for you…” Jiraiya started to ask a question, but quickly changed it to “…What’s his girlfriend like?”

Hayate shrugged. “I wouldn’t know. I haven’t met her yet (koff).”

Yukao spoke up. “I have. I thought her to be an evil girl. She’s listed in our BINGO books, although that listing has been lifted by Lady Tsunade recently. I don’t have a picture of her, just a list of facts. She’s been very elusive.” Yukao found her BINGO book and began to read from Azami’s page. It was quite an interesting read.

“…Left Sunagakure at age fourteen. Her last rank was…jonin. She clashed with the Kazekage before Gaara, then fled the village with their Black Ops teams chasing her. She’s evaded them for five years, working as a bounty hunter. She’s well known in the underground as someone cold, ruthless, and beautiful. Aside from the fact that her father is famous for his studies in Egyptology and Japanese History…” Yukao shrugged. “The girl is an A-ranked criminal who will work for the right price.”

A sweatdrop appeared on Jiraiya’s head. “And Ekyt is straight as an arrow, except for briefly being an A-ranked criminal in Konoha, and an S-ranked in the Mist Village…both for saving lives, not taking them. How’d he fall for her?”

Yukao had the answer to this one. “Good boys like bad girls. But knowing Ekyt, I doubt he was taken by her beauty and nothing else. If that was the case, he could have just looked around the village.”

“After Sakura, I doubt he could. I mean, I went through the same thing with Tsunade. I can’t believe Naruto had more luck than me! Anyway, I think I’d better have a talk with Ryouko. You know, make sure he understands how, uh, babies are made and all that.”

Jiraiya walked off down the street, smiling at a poster advertising ‘Makeout Violence’ as a movie. In his mind, though, he had something else that was making him frown inwardly.

I need to talk to him about what Sarutobi-sensei said about him. I’ve withheld that information for a year now. He needs to know it, unpleasant or not. I don’t know how he’ll react, but things are going well for him now. Maybe he’ll take it better now than he would have a year ago. More is riding on him than he knows. Naruto is the central player, but even he’ll need help.

--

Azami didn’t resist when she felt Ekyt’s hands gently pry her off of Linda. She giggled as she watched him get the courage up to keep lifting her up, even holding her for a second, then set her down on her feet.

“Linda, this has to stop. I heard what you said. I don’t think you’re even worth hitting, but obviously you’re bothering Azami. I suggest stopping, and I mean now. You’ve got your boyfriend. Instead of paying so much attention to me, why don’t you keep your eyes on him?”

Ekyt didn’t even wait for a response; he just kept moving. Azami followed him. She was walking next to him when Ekyt started talking to her. This had been troubling him for some time, but he had declined to ask until now.

“Azami, I really don’t know anything about you…” clearly Ekyt was going somewhere with this, but Azami cut him off.

“All you need to know is that I’m serious about you. Everything else…it’s all minor detail. As far as I’m concerned, you’re my new life.”

Azami wasn’t sure, but she thought she saw Ekyt smile. She smiled herself, but her thoughts belied her smile.

I can’t tell him about my past. It’s not just that I’m worried he won’t like me after that, it’s also the fact that I outrank him. Rank is clearly a sore subject with him, and me flaunting my jonin rank would only make him feel like crap.

Speaking aloud, Azami continued. “So, what did you do while you were on that mission? Turns out your precious Ojo-sama had training with the Hokage, so she didn’t need me.”

Ekyt explained it. They were on their way to Tsunade’s office so that Ekyt could give his report to her. When they hit the top of the stairs, Azami heard about the part with Hidan and the ‘fake’ Akatsuki.

“What?! Are you TRYING to give me a heart attack?!” Azami muttered, giving Ekyt a mocking hit on the chest. “You SO owe me a date for making me worry!”

“That’s funny, because I was just going to get my courage up to ask you out. And you just admitted that you’re okay with being seen with me…”

“Yeah, I did. I was trying to get MY courage up to say that,” Azami fired back, entirely truthful.

Ekyt stopped. “Well, I’ve got to warn you…I’m shy. I might be able to talk with you like friends, but dating is another thing. I’m going to be shy as all heck, and even more clueless. If you can deal with that…”

“I can,” Azami replied confidently. “You just go report to the Hokage. I’m going to get ready. And don’t worry, I’ll plan our date, so you can stop worrying about that. And yes, I’m going to tell my father that we’re serious now. So, be ready to meet him. Understood?”

Azami had just rattled all that off like she was giving orders. She guessed (correctly) that Ekyt would have an easier time if she did. For his part, he just nodded, shocked by the sudden ‘Alpha dog’ routinue.

“Good boy. Go get ‘em, kid!” Azami told Ekyt, swatting him on the butt. She left her hand there for a lingering second. Ekyt turned around, his wide eyes meeting Azami’s smiling eyes. Ekyt finally smiled back, and Azami went off to get ready.

--

Tsunade listened patiently, but her mind wasn’t really on Ekyt’s report about Idate’s escort. It was on what Jiraiya said.

If that’s all true, then Ekyt is in for a let down…possibly. But I can at least give him some good news before the problem.

“I’d say you handled this mission like a profession. Well then, Ekyt, it’s time for…is something wrong?”

Ekyt’s mind wasn’t on what Tsunade was saying. “I was just thinking about my emotional chakra. It seems that I’ve lost the ability to use it. Instead, my emotions boost my regular chakra. Is that…bad?”

Tsunade spread her hands on her desk. “Medically, no. And that’s all I’m concerned about. Now then, there’s a more important issue. Shizune, please send them in.”

One by one, jonin filed in. Kakashi, Asuma, Kurenai, Gai, Iruka (Promoted to Tokubetsu Jonin in this fic), Ibiki, Anko, Izumo, Kotetsu, and a few nameless ANBU members (Plus Yamato) all took their places. Once Shizune had brought Jiraiya in, Tsunade made her announcement.

“The Village Hidden in the Leaves, in all it’s wisdom, is officially promoting you to the rank of Jonin. You will also receive a special designation for your S-ranked work. The village thanks you, Ekyt. My one regret is that your our late sensei could not be here to witness this. But I’ve never been more proud of you than I am now. And for once, I am able to reward it. Congratulations.”

Ekyt’s mind stopped working right about then. He vaguely remembered receiving congratulatory bows and hugs, but the thought that he had finally made jonin was chief in his mind. Unfortunately, his mind couldn’t process that fact. The other jonin seemed to understand, so they let his lack of reaction slide. It was a clear-cut case of shock.

Tsunade gave a reserved smile at the scene. Now I can finally say he’s a jonin. It’s the least I can do for his dedication. He’s earned that rank several times over. This helps me, too- now he’s in a better position to help Naruto reach his potential. Naruto will therefore help Sakura.

Provided, of course, Ekyt isn’t completely destroyed by what Jiraiya has to say.


--

Azami got herself ready, making sure her dress was smooth, her hair was just so, and that Ekyt would definitely like what he saw.

He’s not like that, though, Azami thought, smiling at her mental image of her akward new boyfriend, I don’t have to try hard to attract him. But a girl DOES enjoy getting dressed up once in a while. In our world, the life expectancy is so young. Most of the time, we’re fighting for our lives. Looks are the last thing on our minds. It’s amazing how, for that special someone, you can really care suddenly. I’ve never had a boy rattle me more than Ekyt/Ryouko. He really cares for me, and no matter what I’ve done, he forgives that because of who I am. He’s the first one to ever make me feel like my past is no big deal. He’s dating me while knowing nothing about me except what I look like, and a guess that I just might be strong.

Azami smirked, putting on a pair of earrings that had been her first find on her first dig with her father in Egypt. They were uncharacteristically small gold scarabs. Around Azami’s neck was a thick gold chain that had belonged to the Pharaoh’s mistress.

I always believed it would be sad for both my father and myself when the day came that a new man came into my life. Instead, my father seems to have gained a friend, and I’ve gained something more. It may be too soon to tell, but perhaps…perhaps I’ve gained a future.

Is it too soon to think about children? No, it’s okay to think- I’m not ready for kids yet, but I’ll want them someday. Right now, I want Ekyt all to myself. He’s so innocent, too…I’ve got to wonder if he even knows how babies are created. I doubt he got past the ‘when a man and woman fall in love’ part. And me…I play the part of a seductress, but I really have no clue beyond instincts.

Oh, what’s wrong with me? Why am I thinking like that?! I suppose it’s only natural…I AM in love with him. I’d love to take him to Egypt someday, show him the tombs I grew up in with my Father. And my Father…he’d love to dig again, maybe Ekyt could help him, along with me?


Azami laughed at herself thanks to a sudden realization:

I’m building a life around him and we haven’t even dated yet. I guess I really AM sure about him. This means that I should tell him some things, I suppose. Things I’ve shied away from saying. In truth, that’s when I first realized I was serious about him- I’ve never withheld words from anyone before.

Azami thought back to the other boys that had made passes at her. All of them were desirable, but something had held her back- that dream. The one with Ryouko fighting his way through enemy after enemy, all to protect what he cared about. It seemed stupid to withhold feelings on a mere dream, but now that all was said and done, Azami was glad she did.

When I think of how little we know about each other, it amazes me that we wound up this way. Not to mention that whole ‘killing’ thing. But the amazing thing is that he saw through most of my tricks. I don’t know how, but he instinctively both trusted me and didn’t trust me at the same time, all while projecting that he would do what was necessary to stop me from killing that girl and her friends. I’m lucky he did- I didn’t know that Kakashi Hatake was among their ranks. He would have been the end of me.

Time to get going. Maybe Ekyt will meet let me meet some of his comrades today. Does he have a team, I wonder? This’ll be interesting.

Hope they aren’t all like that b*tch, Linda.


--

Ekyt looked bewildered as he met Azami. When asked why, he said ‘I’ve been promoted’.

“Is it that strange? You’re really talented,” Azami commented.

Ekyt chuckled. “Well, funny story about that- I was supposed to be promoted to chunin four years ago, but the village wouldn’t let me. And they’ve demoted me before, too. Even ranked me as a criminal once. Now I’m a jonin…it’s just a weird feeling.”

“Weird feeling? In what way?”

Ekyt gave Azami a glance. “Things are going…well. I got promoted, I’m dating a beautiful girl, and the Akatsuki didn’t kill me. Things never go this smoothly for me. Ask anyone around here. In fact, I was ranked as a criminal here because of what I did in the Mist Village. You see, I- WHOA!”

Ekyt drew a kunai and quickly blocked a blade aiming for Azami.

“Yuushi, come out of there! Don’t attack random people!” ekyt called into the bushes.

“Random? Sensei, that is Azami, the underworld’s best bounty hunter! I thought she was planning to kill you!” Yuushi exclaimed, emerging from the bushes, his sword pointed at Azami.

“Not that I didn’t try, kiddo,” Azami chimed in with an amused laugh. “He’s hard to kill, and I’ve stopped trying.”

Ekyt shook his head, somehow not surprised that his student and his girlfriend met like this.

“Yuushi, this is Azami, my girlfriend. Azami, this is Yuushi, my student in the art of the sword. Please try to avoid killing each other.” Ekyt said all that in a tired voice, like he’d done this many times before. In his mind an amused thought came through:

Yuushi hasn’t been hanging around me much. I wonder if it’s that new girl he met. Oh well, he’ll tell me eventually, if it’s any of my business. I guess I’d better focus on making sure he doesn’t swing that sword at Azami again. I don’t know who would wind up killing who, but I’d rather they both kept on living.

Yuushi immediately bowed. He had grown in the past few months into a sturdy young man. With one blind eye, you would think he’d be the underdog in any fight. But his strength was great for his age. He also seemed to be the only guy in the village with his long hair slicked into a ponytail. Wearing a topknot in a ninja village would be tantamount to asking to be murdered, so Yuushi paid homage to his roots in the closest way possible.

“Please forgive my actions,” Yuushi said humbly, his head bowed.

“Don’t concern yourself any further with it,” Azami replied, staying formal as well.

A thought struck Ekyt. “Hold on. How did you know about Azami?”

With that, Yuushi grinned widely. “I’ve been accepted into the Junior Black Ops program! I was waiting to tell you! Kantai was here, too, but she had to go to class! We’re both testing for chunin in six months!”

“Well, congratulations! I’ve seen how hard you work, and you deserve every bit of what you’re getting. Tell me, are you still taking art lessons from Sai?” Ekyt wanted to keep moving, but a good sensei always made time for his students.

“I am, but that can wait. I don’t want to interrupt date. Bye, sensei!” Yuushi scampered off, seeming for once like a happy young man, rather than a burdened child.

--

Azami had set the course for their date. A small teahouse that few knew about. It was somewhat popular among young couples, though. Truth be told, the tea was average, and the snacks just okay. There was very little eating going on. It was mostly a site for talking and dating.

Just before Azami sat down, Ekyt got the bright idea to gently tap her butt. Azami blushed heavily, thinking that this was the first boy who would get away with doing that. (The last one to touch her butt just happened to be one of her targets…his bad luck)

“Now we’re even,” Ekyt muttered in Azami’s ear, smiling lightly at the red on her face. He could practically feel the warmth rising off her face.

“So we are,” Azami managed to say, keeping her voice strong and steady. I can’t believe I almost melted just because he touched my butt. It’s such a normal boyfriend/girlfriend thing, but it still surprised me. Maybe it’s because the boy doing it doesn’t seem the type. Maybe he understands me more than I think…

“I’m sorry. You seemed so stressed,” Ekyt said apologetically. “I, er, am completely ignorant of how a boyfriend is supposed to act, so I took a wild guess. I won’t do it again…”

Azami leaned across the table and kissed him. “It’s fine, since it’s you. And thank you, it DID help.”

-

Jiraiya was outside the teahouse, ready to go in. His talk with Ekyt was important. But seeing the boy with his new girlfriend, Jiraiya decided it could wait, just a little bit.

Let him be a normal kid for a little while. After his date will be soon enough to tell him. Besides that, I think he’d like to know more about who he’s dating.

--

MORE ON AZAMI NEXT CHAPTER! THANKS AGAIN FOR A YEAR OF COMMENTS EVERYONE!

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on February 1, 2009, 8:15:19 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDAWH! He's so clueless, yet totally cute ^__^ Azami's a lucky girl.

hflp on December 16, 2008, 4:23:17 AM

hflp on
hflpCool. I cannot wait till there's more.

andr28a on December 15, 2008, 1:53:18 AM

andr28a on
andr28aWhat a sweet chapter.
Look forward to the next, wonder what Ekyt will do after Jiraiya's talked to him......if his date ever finishes