Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 67 - The Tournament- Part 1

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 67 - The Tournament- Part 1

Chapter 67 - The Tournament- Part 1
Ekyt picked a table in the back of the library, near the top. The rickety stairs that led their were a perfect place to defend, if someone attacked him. He had, of course, been careful to leave no trace of himself behind, save for that letter to Azami. Now he had all the time in the world to study, and plenty of tomes to choose from. Three were sprawled out across the three tables Ekyt had gathered. He sat at the center of the tables, taking notes diligently. But his thoughts kept plaguing him.

Did they tell me the truth? Are my stats really so low? Or is this, as I suspect, a test? Jiraiya said a couple of things that bothered me. What were they?

As you are now…

Most Shinobi have peaked by your age…

Ekyt still held the rose, though he had pricked himself nearly a dozen times with it. It was symbolic of his life. There WAS a flower, but it was among thorns. To reach the flower, you had to dodge the thorns. Ekyt didn’t do that, he knew- he plowed through the thorns. Dodging wasn’t his style.

The second sentence…most Shinobi have peaked by my age…that’s what was bothering me, I think. Because Sarutobi-sensei said that learning is a journey. He said that he learned something new, even from the lowest genin, until his dying day. Could this mean that this is simply a kick in the butt to get me going again?

Then again, Jiraiya is a legend, and even Tsunade seemed in on the ‘joke’. And the numbers didn’t lie.

On the other hand, numbers could be altered or forged…

When you get into second, third, and fourth guessing, the possibilities become endless. I need to stop thinking about the possibilities, and focus on the reality of the situation. I was shown those numbers and told those things for a reason. I can take it either way, but I get the same answer: I need to work harder, and I need to be stronger. That’s what it all comes down to. That’s what it ALWAYS comes down to. Either I’m being tricked into working harder, or I’m being challenged and told I’m not good enough. My response would be the same either way.

Now then, where was I? Right, offensive ninjutsu. My weakest point.


--

Sasuke picked at his cursed mark absently. Damn thing is still irritating, even if I can’t feel it. I KNOW it’s there. The question is, was it REALLY my only chance of beating my brother? Selling my soul- would it have been worth it?

Of course not. I won’t join Orochimaru, not now or ever. All the same, I can’t ignore the fact that I haven’t had a single chance to combat my brother in a long time. The only one’s who have are Naruto, Kakashi-sensei, and Ekyt.

Could Kakashi-sensei have been right all that time? About revenge leaving me feeling empty, if I got it? When he said that, I had no one to help me rebuild my clan. That was my second reason for living. Now I have someone, and I can achieve that. Does that mean revenge will still be empty? Or is the fact that there’s a purpose AFTER the purpose make things alright? Does it matter? Or does only Itachi’s death matter, as it always has? I’m not so young and foolish now. I can make this easy. I can hunt the Akatsuki. If Naruto and Ekyt do, then they can just start including me.

This time, I’m going to tell someone. Ino. And I’m going to tell her to quit smoking, too. It’s unattractive.


--

“What do you imagine he’s doing now? I’m sure that news devastated him…”

Tsunade had been displeased from the start about telling Ekyt what Sarutobi had said. She knew how it would eat at the new jonin. The question was only his reaction.

“Well, in the past, he’s blatantly defied you or he’s holed up somewhere to train. Considering that he turned down a mission, I would say it’s more likely he’s holed up somewhere,” Jiraiya said thoughtfully, stroking his chin. “It couldn’t be helped. If he’s going to tangle with the Akatsuki, he has to be stronger. If breaking him and rebuilding him will do it, then that’s what has to be done. I didn’t tell him ALL of what Sarutobi said. He’ll be angry with me, but it’s necessary.”

“There was more? Jiraiya, what else did Sarutobi-sensei say?”

“Only that Ekyt’s potential was untapped, and his learning was restricted. My focus is Naruto, yours is Sakura, and Sasuke had Orochimaru’s curse mark, not to mention his clan’s genius. Ekyt had Sarutobi, but not for long enough to do him enough good. We’ve all had a mentor, or a genius blood line. Ekyt has a blood line, but he won’t use it anymore.”

“That’s right, not since I started to examine Kimimaro’s disease. The cells I took seem to have come from the kekkaigenkai,” Tsunade added, looking at her notes on the research she had done. “In fact, I’m going to seal his kekkaigenkai. It’ll prevent disease AND give his chakra a boost.”

“That’s good, but there’s more. Tsunade, I think you should pair Ekyt up with Azami. She trust him expressly, and they might just be a good team. If we just knew more about her abilities…”

“What we DO know is that she’s ruthless, cunning, clever, fast, and, most importantly, she has the ability to kill. Ekyt is clever, but the rest…” Tsunade shook her head, ending her sentence there. She started with a new observation. “Kurenai and Asuma play off each other very well. Kimimaro and Temari have shown to do the same. The same with Sakura and Naruto.”

“It’s just like sensei said. You only find your true strength when you’re protecting something important to you. Or someone.” Jiraiya had thought this out for a while now, for reasons of his own. “The question is- do their fighting styles mesh?”

“There’s only one way to find that out,” Tsunade said mysteriously.

“How’s that?”

“A new tournament idea of mine. You’ll see. Maybe you and I could enter…you’d get to call me your girlfriend for a day…”

“I’M IN! Wait, what do you mean?”

“You’ll see…”

--

Azami was sitting down, taking a break from training, when she was visited by Ekyt’s dragon.

“Hmm?” Azami read the contents of the note, sighing and laughing at the same time. “…That boy…well, I’d better give him a little time. His work is everything to him. Next time I see him, I’ll offer my support. Can’t force him to take it, that’ll only push him away. I’d rather that didn’t happen. Besides, if he’s training, then this is the time to work on my own techniques. I hope I haven’t come to rely on my weapons too much. As a bounty hunter, they were easier. In the world I’m living in now, I’d better make sure I’ve got lots of options at my disposal.”

Azami had spent the last couple weeks just having fun being a girl. A girl with a new life, a new boyfriend, and all the potential in the world. But she couldn’t forget that she still needed to be strong. Not that she was the type to let Ekyt do all the fighting anyway. Back in Sunagakure, Azami could have stood up to nearly anyone. Strangely, it wasn’t her beauty or her strength that made her so hard to read. It was her thinking. What she thought, and how she thought it.

The best way to describe it would be this: An average Shinobi would, upon seeing a fight, rush in without thinking about their choices. Azami, upon seeing a fight, would get in the fray as quick as possible, considering her options as she moved. In other words, she thought on her feet. Her jutsus, unlike Shikamaru’s, were meant to be executed quickly. While Shikamaru could keep fights at his pace (Also being a genius, Shikamaru knew the next two hundred moved in a fight as well), Azami instead adapted to her opponents pace, then proceeded to destroy that pace by changing it slightly in her favor. How she did that varied in each fight. But if she was fighting, say, Naruto, who charged in without thinking, she would likewise charge, and before she reached him, her plan would be in effect. That’s what made her so dangerous an opponent.

Just like Lady Tsunade says- ‘not just another pretty face’.

The ability to adapt was a necessity in the Shinobi world, but those who truly mastered it were few and far between. Azami was one of the few who had.

Her second attribute was her diverse knowledge. She knew fighting techniques from Japan, Egypt, the Philippines, Spain, and even a couple other places. Somehow, all her styles gelled together and made her strong. From what she had seen, in the Shinobi world, most fighters were limited to a certain type of jutsu. Earth Style, Water Style, Fire Style; Genjutsu, Ninjutsu, Taijutsu. It’s always best to master one art and make it your own- Azami had done that, and then she built her repertoire.

Truly not just another pretty face.

--

Tsunade’s plan went into effect quickly. By the next day, the word on every Leaf Shinobi’s lips was ‘tournament’. A Tag-team fight. One partner male, the other female.

A couple’s tournament. The winner’s faced mystery opponents, in addition to receiving a generous prize. A lot of couples thought about joining, but the thought of ‘mystery opponents’ scared them. Instead, most bought tickets to watch the spectacle. It was sure to be spectacular.

Those who could cast their trepidation aside signed up quickly. Although the circumstances of each couple was decidedly different.

“C’mon Sakura, let’s do it!” Naruto declared, enthusiastic as always. Hope Sasuke signs up!
“I’m in! Let’s show ‘em how strong we are!” Sakura agreed, writing their names down. I hope Ino’s in! I’ll show her how strong I am!

“Whaddaya thing, boneman? Wanna show off a little? Even if it DOES seem a little like bullying…Hahaha!” Temari jotted her name down.
“I should experience this. I never had the opportunity to before.” Kimimaro wrote his name down, thinking about how this would be only his second fight in which he wasn’t going to aim to kill.

“Just as friends?” Kurenai said, smirking at Asuma. We’re together. He knows better than to say no.
“Seems like a hassle, but why not?” Asuma replied. I get it, Kurenai. I’d better not say no…

“That’s for us, Iruka!” Anko wrote her name, then started on Iruka’s.
“Anko, hold on! Are you sure?!” Iruka wasn’t so sure about this.
“ ‘Course I’m sure!”

“The last time…I lost to Naruto. Perhaps fate is giving me a chance at redemption…”
“er…that’s the spirit, Neji!” Tenten really had to force that out, but she was just happy to have an excuse to fight. You and me, Temari! You’re gonna go down for humiliating me!

“C’mon Hinata, this is in the bag for us! You ready!”
“B-but, Kiba…” No, I can’t keep running!
“Heh. We’re gonna win this one, easy! With Hinata’s eyes and our noses, it’ll be a piece of cake! Right, Akamaru?”
“RUFF!”

“This sucks,” Shikamaru commented dryly. “My mom’s making me do this.”
“My family’s making me do it, too? I’d rather lick dog turds. Wanna partner up?” Kiba’s sister, Hana, questioned roughly. “At least with me, you’ll have a chance to win!”
“I see the family resemblance between you and your brother, that’s for sure. Well, why not? Better than having my mom dog at me.”

Shizune gulped back her nerves. “Do you want to try it, Genma?”
Genma shifted the senbon he had been chewing on. “Sounds good to me, Shizune. Let’s give it a shot.”

“Whaddaya mean it can only be one guy, one girl! What about best friends?!” wailed Izumo and Kotetsu. (No, I’m not insinuating that they’re gay; just single)

“Come on then, Yuushi. This’ll make your sensei proud. And me, of course!” Kantai pulled her boyfriend close.
“O-of course, I’d be happy to, if you’re interested!” Unfortunately, Yuushi had learned how to treat women from Ekyt, who was clueless himself until just recently. In other words, bowing and saying ‘yes’ was about all Yuushi could do.

“Let’s proctor this one, Hayate. You’re in no shape, as of yet.”
“(koff) Right, Yukao.”

“Come on, Sasuke! We’ve gotta enter! You don’t want Naruto and Sakura to beat us, do you?! Let’s go! Alright!” Ino trumpeted, promptly signing her name.
“Hmm.” I’ll tell her after this tournament. It’ll be easier to say it, coming off a win over both our rivals.

--

Ekyt shook himself awake, realizing he had just fallen asleep for the first time in three days. That was enough time for him to finish sulking. He had already decided to keep pushing himself, regardless of what Sarutobi-sensei had thought (if he had really thought that). Time to get back outside and back to work.

-

Azami waited for Ekyt at the one place he was sure to show up- the memorial stone. Sure enough, he did. In Azami’s hand was the tournament flyer.

“I missed you,” she said simply.

“I missed you, too. I’m sorry I had to leave so quick. I just had a lot to deal with, and-”

“You don’t have to explain this sort of thing to me. If you want to make it up to me, sign your name on the dotted line. We’ve got a tournament to win!”

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on February 2, 2009, 5:24:19 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDLol, Hana and Shikamaru...the crackest couple ever! Actually...they could work quite well...*runs away from the plot bunnies*

Can't wait to see who wins!!

andr28a on January 5, 2009, 5:43:37 PM

andr28a on
andr28aThis is going to be one hell of a tournament

hflp on January 1, 2009, 2:21:34 AM

hflp on
hflpHmmm.... This is going to be VERY interesting. I can't wait to see what happens next.