Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 70 - Insane Alliances

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 70 - Insane Alliances

Chapter 70 - Insane Alliances
Ekyt woke up one more time, really aware that the pain meds were wearing off. Then again, he was thankful he could feel any pain at all.

“Hey. You awake?”

Ekyt turned slowly to a void hurting himself. He found Shikamaru and Asuma relaxing with a game of Go near the hospital’s window. It was apparently sunset, meaning Ekyt had been out of it for at least five hours.

“Yeah,” Ekyt grunted, pulling himself up and out of bed. “Guarding me by orders?”

“Nah, stopped by to see how you’re doing before the matches pick up tomorrow. Your move, Shikamaru.” Asuma took a long drag off a cigarette, sitting directly under a ‘no smoking’ sign. Ekyt would have laughed, but that would hurt, and he was decidedly humorless right now.

“Yeah, me and Hana won, along with Naruto and Sakura. Neji and Tenten and Lee and Linda are moving on, too. Oh yeah, Ino and Sasuke, too. My lazy sensei got a bye because his opponents were needed elsewhere. And I had to fight. What a drag,” Shikamaru commented, cupping his hands and settling into his thinking pose.

“…I see…” Ekyt commented dully, not having anything to say. The hole in his chest throbbed for a second. He glanced down a sheet of instructions Tsunade had left, not seeing ‘no alcohol’ and ‘no chakra cigarettes’ on it. He was going to indulge himself.

“What are the match-ups for tomorrow like, then?”

Shikamaru passed a sheet over to Ekyt. It was a list of the next battles.

-
Lee/Linda vs. Naruto/Sakura
Asuma/Kurenai vs. Shikamaru/Hana Inuzuka
Sasuke/Ino vs. Neji/Tenten
-

“I’ll have to gimp my way to the arena for those,” Ekyt murmured. “These are some great match-ups. Maybe I can bet with Lady Tsunade. ‘tho it’ll be hard to say who’ll have the advantage in luck: the Legendary Loser or myself (ha).”

Why am I so happy? Shouldn’t I be feeling damn near suicidal? Is it because I know Azami had no choice? Am I happy to be alive? Or is it because I got to see the Third Hokage again? When did I earn the right to be happy? It must have come just after I was stabbed. I almost want to drop everything and keep living happily. But in the back of mind…

Ekyt sat down to watch the ‘Go’ game, already knowing the winner would be Shikamaru. But good alcohol, along with good people, and a nice sunset…it was comforting.

But in the back of my mind, I know I’ll be out there again. Soon. I’m going to find Azami, and learn why she did this. If I can free her from whatever evil clutches she’s in, I’ll do that. If there ARE no evil clutches…well, her and I will have it out. She knows it, too. And since, no matter what they say, these two are guards, someone else is expecting someone to come finish me. If I was Azami, I’d be the one on the way. So it all comes down to healing quickly and getting back in there. Maybe after I fight Azami…maybe then I can enjoy this again.

Well, whatever the case, today and tomorrow are for me- I’m going to enjoy drinking, gambling, and healing. Even if the back of my mind is clouded with fear, anger, or whatever else is in this fustercluck of emotions I’ve got now- I’m going to enjoy myself, at least once more.


Asuma offered Ekyt a cigarette. Ekyt declined politely, tapping his own box.

“Still on that healthy crap? When are you gonna join the men and have a REAL smoke?” Asuma weedled, happy to see Ekyt in a decent mood. This kid’ll have ulcers WAY too early in life. He’s gotta relax.

“I figure I’ll smoke your brand when I’m tired of good kidney function. When are you gonna get off that REAL stuff and try the chakra-boosters?”

Shikamaru looked up with a glare. “Shut up, both of you. In case you haven’t noticed, Asuma, it’s YOUR turn.”

“Wow, Shikamaru…I never knew…” Ekyt said in mock wonder. “I never knew that you’d wind up being so much like your Mom…”

“You want ANOTHER hole in you?” Shikamaru shot back, giving both Ekyt and Asuma a death glare. Asuma had to hide a laugh at Shikamaru’s ‘mad’ face.

If I tell him he really DOES look like his Mom right now, he’ll never forgive me. And I’ve gotta work with him for a long time…

--

Ekyt had planned to sneak out the next day. His first attempt was met with a nurse waiting for him.

“Come on then, Mr. Kaguya. Back to bed,” she said with a wink.

“Are you trying to stop me or seduce me? Either way, can it wait?” (SLAP!)

-

On the next try, Ekyt tried to leave by the window. When he dropped off the terrace, he found Naruto and Sakura waiting for him.

“Oh…busted?” Ekyt asked, thinking about running past them.

“If you come to the matches, will you go back to bed afterward?” Sakura asked, as if she had caught a young child with his hand in the cookie jar.

“Yes. Really, I will.” Unless the Akatsuki show up…

“Where you thinking something just now? Maybe about a loophole?” Naruto asked playfully, knowing full well how troublemakers thought. He was one himself. You can’t kid a kidder, after all.

“Nah, nothing so terrible,” Ekyt answered. “I’ll be good. Let’s just get out of here before that nurse comes back. She LOOKS cute, but her slap packs a wallop.”

“Did you say something, Mr. Kaguya?”

Aw crap- said nurse overheard. Ekyt winced. But Sakura stepped up to the plate.

“He’s coming as a guest of myself and M’lady- he’ll be just fine medically. Come on now, Ekyt, time to go to the matches.”

Ekyt remembered that he was enjoying himself today, so as he left with the happy couple, he stuck his tongue out at the nurse. Her clipboard left a mark on his face, though- she had the last laugh.

--

When Ekyt walked in, he got some strange looks. Wearing only an open jacket, his torso packed with bandages, he didn’t look at all like his normal self. With a chakra cigarette clenched in his mouth, he looked around for his target. Aha!

“Lady Tsunade!”

This feels like cheating…But I really don’t give a damn today. Hehehe!

Tsunade looked incredibly surprised to find Ekyt out of bed, wandering around. He explained quickly that he had been escorted here, and that he didn’t want to miss the tournament.

“Besides, if I’m here, you can personally baby-sit my invalid @$$.”

“Well, I can’t argue with your logic…alright, but you sit up with Jiraiya and I. And no funny stuff! Got me?”

“Yes Ma’am. Thanks again for saving my life. I owe you…several,” Ekyt smirked, then sat down in the indicated spot. “So, who’re your bets?”



Tsunade Jiraiya Ekyt

Lee/Linda Lee/Linda Neji/Tenten
(Sorry Lee, but I can’t root for her)
Shikamaru/Hana Asuma/Kurenai Asuma/Kurenai
(long shot, high stakes)


Naruto/Sakura Naruto/Sakura Naruto/Sakura
(It’s unanimous. Probably because they’re all friends/mentors)

“You SURE About Shikamaru/Hana, Tsunade? Seems like a long shot, even by YOUR standards,” Jiraiya quipped, seemingly satisfied.

“If she wins, though…”

“HA! Ye of little faith! Hana won’t let Shikamaru quit, if that’s what you’re betting on!” Tsunade made a good point, showing that there was a method to her madness. “Now then, let’s get to drinking! Ekyt, put that damn thing out! I hate smoking!”

Ekyt held the cigarette up. “It’s health, M’lady. Chakra, y’know? I want to heal quickly, after all…”

Tsunade’s tone quickly changed. Of course he does… He just got taken down by a girl he was SURE about. I did some things I’m not proud of after Dan died…At least it’s healthy. And he seems to be enjoying himself…what the heck, I’ll let it slide. He’s a good kid.

--

Azami felt a hand on her shoulder as she packed a bag to leave. She sensed the chakra. It was strange- the only chakra in the Akatsuki that didn’t feel outright malicious to her. That didn’t mean it felt right, though.

“He’s straying from his path after your betrayal. I need him to become a stepping stone for Sasuke. Do what you have to, and remember who you’re really working for. I’ll deal with the fallout as needed.”

Azami didn’t respond- she didn’t need to. As she had heard the order, she had to follow it. And she would, to the letter.

Why do I want this? Is it to see him alive? Or is it to confirm he’s dead? Either way, I shouldn’t get involved. I’ve no right to tell him any of the things I want to…I’ve no right at all. But, all the same…I almost wish he was dead. I know he’s not. Itachi ordered me to come ‘close’ to killing him, and that’s what I did. His will to live and my skills combined will keep him alive, if nothing else. Such a damn mess I’ve created, and all because I fell in love when I wasn’t supposed to. Emotions are such a burden… Are they for him, too? What about you, Ryouko?

--

Ekyt knew he was being guarded at all times. First it had been Shikamaru and Asuma. Now he was being tailed by Yuushi and Sai. While he was thankful to have people who cared enough to protect him, Ekyt wished they would give him some peace. Not that Sai and Yuushi were big talkers. Tolerant for the time being, Ekyt looked to the floor. Lee/Linda vs. Neji/Tenten was about to start. Ekyt had really been torn by this one. He was friends with Tenten, and he was friends with Lee. He HATED Linda, and barely tolerated Neji. In the end, Tenten got the nod, as she seemed like she would need the most support out there. Lee was self-motivated; as was Neji. Linda…he didn’t care either way.

--

Lee and Neji were about to have their first real contest in years. They had only met in sparring matches before this, and each was eager to give the other his best game. It was kind of an unwritten rule that the guys fought the guys, while the girls faced the girls. This match would be no exception. From the word ‘go’, this was a heated contest. Neji and Lee traded blows at such a high speed that nearly every spectator gave up watching them and just watched the girls. The kunoichi worked slower and more methodically, and there were always the perverts in the crowd that got off on seeing two girls mix it up. No doubt that Tenten and Linda would really be a thrill for them.

Linda’s chakra kunai clashed with Tenten’s chain. Both weapons broke, and the two girls rushed in. Linda had the edge in hand to hand combat against Tenten; Lee and Neji were both panting and in bad shape. No more fighting for them. Neji had stood up to Lee’s Primary Lotus, while Lee had endured Neji’s Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four palms. They were both down for the count. This fight would be decided by the two kunoichi. As it happened, they hated each other, so it worked out just fine.

--

Gai and Kakashi sped along the trees, following Pakkun’s nose. When he stopped short, so did they.

“S’no good. That isn’t the chakra we’ve been following. But there are two chakras coming this way. (sniff sniff) Definitely bad news. These guys have enough chakra for four fights with your two. At this range, it’s unlikely they’ve sensed us…”

Gai hated the though, but a strategic retreat made sense here. “Kakashi?”

“I know, Gai. We’re out of here. Pakkun, I know you hate being carried, but I’m going to keep you with us so you can sense that chakra. If it follows us for too long we’ve got no choice but to fight…”

--

At the Leaf’s gates, a stranger wandered in. he had a straw hat pulled tight to his face, and he carried a bag full of scrolls. He looked like a wandering priest, and he was headed for a temple, it seemed. So Izumo and Kotetsu let him by with a few cursory questions.

“Did you feel that?” Izumo said suddenly, closing his eyes.

“Yeah…that’s no typical chakra…might be some kind of holy power or something…” Kotetsu had felt it, too, but he shrugged. “Well, he’s new around here. That’s probably why it feels so different.”

Izumo shifted uncomfortably. “I guess so…”

-

Once inside, the stranger kept his clothes tight to his body. They couldn’t entirely mask the odd clicking sound he made as he walked.

Make a fool of me, will they? Give my spot to that crossbow-toting wench, will they?! Well then, they can just see first-hand how Sasori of the Red Sand took an entire nation down with his puppets! It’s unsavory, but I need to make an ally…Akatsuki or not, no one does this to Sasori of the Red Sand. NO ONE.

--

YuYu Hakusho (part 3)

Kimihiro watched the train barrel toward him. There was no dodging it- he couldn’t move.

“Hah!” Botan swooped in and picked him up. The train sped by harmless as Botan held Kimihiro.

“See? Nothing to it. You just need someone to rescue you once a month, then. You can’t fight the suicidal tendencies, and of course each time it will be a different peril. But now you’re good for a month! What are you gonna do first?”

Kimihiro gulped hard. “I’ll wait for my stomach to catch up with me, thank you. Actually, I’ll ask you a question in the mean time. Botan, can you tell me why that group needs my help? They’ve all got such powerful auras, especially compared to mine…”

Botan shrugged. “I’m not really sure. That’s not my department. You could always ask Lord Koenma. Or, you could wait to find out for yourself. I don’t mind saying you should wait until you learn for yourself- I wouldn’t want to bother Lord Koenma now. He’s very busy with his father away and all. But rest assured, it’ll be a good reason! (ahaha!)”

THAT is one cheerful version of death… Kimihiro thought. Well then, we’ll have to see how things shape up, won’t we?

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on March 14, 2009, 3:42:18 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDSasori wants to help the LEAF??? Nice to know that Ekyt isn't just being depressed though, he's nice like this

hflp on February 3, 2009, 5:34:08 AM

hflp on
hflpI like this Ekyt. I wished he would come around more often.

andr28a on February 2, 2009, 5:22:59 PM

andr28a on
andr28aWOW where did this Ekyt come from, much better then the zombie version (Noraml)
Great chapter looking forward to the next