Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 71 - Words of Honesty

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 71 - Words of Honesty

Chapter 71 - Words of Honesty
Thus far, the tournament had been this:

ROUND 1
Iruka/Anko vs. Naruto/Sakura
Kiba/Hinata vs. Shikamaru/Hana
Yuushi/Kantai vs. Sasuke/Ino
Neji/Tenten vs. Ekyt/Azami
Asuma/Kurenai vs. Shizune/Genma
Temari/Kimimaro vs. Lee/Linda

ROUND 2 (in progress)

Lee/Linda vs. Neji/Tenten
Asuma/Kurenai vs. Shikamaru/Hana
Naruto/Sakura vs. Sasuke/Ino

ROUND 3

TBD

-

On the arena floor now were Neji/Tenten and Lee/Linda. Neji and Lee were both out of it from each other’s most powerful attacks. The strongest would be determined by their female partners.

On Neji’s side- the weapon’s expert, Tenten.

On Lee’s side- Linda, hand to hand combat practitioner.

Now that their weapons had been destroyed, Linda was the decided favorite. Tenten had gotten stronger, as had they all, but she seemed to be confided to weapons. Her peers were taijutsu experts, and Tenten had no hope of matching them, so she carved her own niche. That niche was a small at times- like now.

“So tell me…” Linda asked, a sneer on her face, “What woke you up to the fact that Ekyt wasn’t right for you?”

“Excuse me?” Tenten COULDN’T have heard that right.

“Well, sure, you dated him once, didn’t you? Sure, you both said ‘it’s not a date’, but- newsflash- two people getting drinks- that’s a date! So, what is it about him? Ugliness? No personality? That sword fetish of his?”

Tenten shook her head. “You know, you’re pathetic. You’ve got a boyfriend. So why pick on your ex? The one YOU split up with? Why don’t you pay attention to the one you’ve got? You know, you hang out with our team, and Gai-sensei and Lee, and Neji all deal with it. Me- I hate your guts. But part of love is making sacrifices. I love Neji and Lee in different ways, but make no mistake- I think you’re the worst thing that could’ve happened to our team. We could have allied ourselves with WAY better than the likes of you. But if you insist on hanging around like slime on our sandals, I can deal with it. Just make sure that YOU can deal with ME!”

“Hah! Without a weapon, you’re nothing!” Linda laughed, her hand extending forward as the two girls rushed each other.

WHACK!

“Says you, b*tch.”

Tenten’s fist landed first, clocking Linda squarely on the chin for a solid KO.

--

“Oh hell yeah! Thatta girl, Tenny!” Ryouko cheered, gleefully counting the Ryo he had just won from a glum-looking Tsunade and a stunned Jiraiya.

“ ‘Tenny’? Just how drunk are you?” Tsunade smiled and shook her head tolerantly. Boys will be boys. Though I’ve got to say, I’ve never seen THIS boy so festive. Good for him! Still…Kakashi and Gai should be returning soon…What happened with Azami? This Ekyt won’t last. The depression will hit him sooner or later. I’ll bet he knows that, too. Best to let him have fun now, while he can.

“I’m not drunk, M’lady!” Ekyt protested, making a face. “Just happy. It’s not every day I can say I beat the two of the Legendary Sannin at something…”

“Spread that around and the only thing you’ll beat us in is a race to the grave,” Jiraiya threatened with a laugh. “There’s lots more matches, kid.”

“More chances for me to cash in on some Sannin ryo, then?” Ekyt said with a mocking hopeful tone at the end.

“Good luck with that. Boast once the money’s in your hand. I AM Hokage, maybe I should outlaw gambling…”

Jiraiya beat Ekyt to the punch. “Oh, please! YOU?! HAH! You couldn’t handle a gambling embargo any more than I could handle a ‘beautiful’ embargo.

Without thinking, Tsunade shot back with “Oh yeah? Wanna bet on it? Wait…damn it!”

Ekyt laughed, but internally he checked his progress. He was no medic-nin, but being healed so many times had rubbed off on him. Plus, you knew your own chakra level instinctively.

My chakra is at 100%…physically…I’m actually near 90%. M’lady’s treatment ‘resets’ the body at close to it’s physical peak. So, aside from my flesh wound, where the blade first made contact…I’m as good as I can be with these physical statistics. When I grow more, it may be a different story- for better or worse. So I should take advantage while I can… That just begs the question of ‘what can I do?’ while I’ve got the chance… This physical peak won’t last forever. But they’ve got me on a tight leash…well, trouble seems to come to me, so I can just kick back and enjoy the fights.

Ha! I won’t take Lady Tsunade’s money, but Jiraiya…well, he hadn’t healed me, or brought me back from the dead. His money’s mine! Now if only I was always so normal and could enjoy this sort of thing forever…


“…Ekyt, I need you to be honest for a minute…” Tsunade glanced at Jiraiya, who nodded once, firmly. “What kind of status do you have right now? We have reason to believe that you’ll be followed and an attempt made on your life.”

Ekyt wasn’t surprised, so he turned his head to show he was listening.

Jiraiya cleared his throat. “It’s something I picked up while watching the Akatsuki. You already know why Azami did what she did, or at least you have your suspicions. You’re a target of the Akatsuki simply because you irritate them. You’re a protector of their target. So it stands to reason they’d fine a way to get to you, even when you’re protected…”

Ekyt put up a hand. “I’m capable of defending myself, except maybe against Itachi. But he’ll get my usual effort, rest assured. Truth be told, I’m not shocked by this.”

Tsunade couldn’t believe her ears. “You’re NOT shocked? Why not?”

“Azami is what she is. She’s a dangerous girl. Maybe that’s why I fell for her and overlooked it. If you want my opinion, it’s that she really DOES have feelings for me, and she was pressured into this. There’s more than money talking here…It’s hard to say but…Oh hell, I can’t just say it…It’s a boy!” Ekyt looked suddenly embarrassed, but even a little proud at the same time.

Jiraiya and Tsunade started coughing. They couldn’t help it. It was unthinkable. COMPLETELY unthinkable.

HIM?! HE GOT HER PREGNANT?!

“Sorry, sorry, I’m kidding!” Ekyt admitted quickly, not wanting his name to be on the heart attacks of two Sannin. “Really, do you think I’m capable of that? I’m a guy, but I can keep it in my pants!”

Ekyt was rushed by Tsunade and Jiraiya. Jiraiya was kidding- Tsunade wasn’t.

“I’m not healed yet!” Ekyt shouted in self-defense. Tsunade stopped just short of his head with a decapitating punch.

“Bastard. I’ll laugh later. Now, were you serious or not when you say you ‘kind of’ saw this coming?” Tsunade withdrew her first and regained her composure.

“I…kind of saw it coming, yes. She’s a bounty hunter, and I was a bounty on her list. But I overlooked that because I was sure it was love. And it may still be. I think she was forced into this. But that’s not important. What IS important is that she’s my responsibility. I’ll be the one to bring her to justice, if justice is what she needs. It’s my fault she came here; I’m just glad I was her only target. Rest assured- my time wasn’t spent just fawning over her.” Ekyt gave a sad smile, and produced a rose. “I made sure to keep my training up. I can’t perfect jutsus, but I can learn them. And I’ve learned how to defend myself. But I make one request- unless others are harmed in the process, when the time comes, if the time comes- let me fight her and her cohorts alone.”

“I can’t let you do that. If it’s the Akatsuki-”

“If it’s the Akatsuki, all the more reason to let me,” Ekyt interjected, spinning the rose. It cut his finger. “Because you can learn more about the Akatsuki through watching my fight. I’ll soften them up for you. I don’t have the talent to defeat them, but I can last long enough to give you a window of opportunity- when they’re tired, finish them.”

Even then, Jiraiya wasn’t going to let that happen. Tsuande even less so. But Ekyt had one more argument.

“This is personal now. They ruined the life I was sure I would have had. I’ve lived twenty and a half years, and I was single for twenty years and five months. I had one month to learn what it was like to be a boyfriend- to have a girlfriend. To experience the kind of fun some people have all their lives. If that part of my life truly is over, then I need to see it through to it’s final chapter. If she’s truly joined the Akatsuki, in mind, body, and spirit, I’ll see her dead myself. But if there’s even the slightest chance that this is against her will…I’ll free her. Whatever it takes, I WILL free her.”

All three parties fell silent at that. After a few moments, the serious talk had passed. Ekyt took a drink, popped a cigarette in his mouth, and counted the Ryo in his pocket.

“Oh…must suck to lose to a brand-new jonin. Haha! I’m SO putting this in my memoirs. Hey, how’s this sound: Lucky loser defeats two Sannin in one fell swoop. And I’ll leave it at that, like I won in a fight.”

“Hmm…my memoirs will say I kicked the @$$ of a twenty-year-old jonin, demoted to genin, forced to lick my shoes, and serve me for the rest of his pathetic life for a smart-@$$ comment and for falsifying records. How’s THAT sound? Now, what match is up…”

Asuma/Kurenai vs. Shikamaru/Hana

“This oughta be good…” the three agreed, settling back into their seats. Tsunade reached over and plucked a chakra cigarette. Ekyt opened his mouth.

“Protest, and I’ll bust you for illegally gambling. You’re still a minor…”

“…enjoy…”

--

“Sempai, sempai, SHE’S gonna lead the mission?! Seriously?! Really?! The new girl?”

“Yes, Tobi. And you’re not coming, un?”

“And neither are you two!” Kakuzu said shortly, hearing enough of that crap for one day- or lifetime.

“Shut the f*** up, Kakuzu. You aren’t going either. And whaddaya know- I am!” Hidan interrupted, giving his scythe an experimental swing. “Sucks for you- no profit.”

“Sucks for you- no one to put you back together again. You KNOW that the Kaguya boy will get you, right? Without me to patch you up, you have no abilities besides your stupid, slow jutsu.”

Azami rolled her eyes. She had put on the Akatsuki cloak, leaving it open in front. Beneath it she kept on the gold one-piece jumpsuit that had once been an Egyptian pharaoh’s daughters’ gown. The inside of her cloak was brimming with her equipment, included an ankh that was very special to her. She stood up, the rustling of her cloak enough to get everyone’s attention.

“Be sure of your facts before you brag, Hidan. And same to you before you dog, Kakuzu. You’re both coming. The fact is, Kakuzu was right- your slow jutsu wouldn’t hold a candle to Ekyt by itself. If you think otherwise, you either don’t know Ekyt, or you’re incredibly dense.”

Before Hidan could complain, Azami cut him off by shoving him in the forehead and knocking him down. She glared at him, putting a foot across his neck.

“You think too much of yourself. Check your ego at the door. Don’t you think that Ekyt will be beyond angry? I betrayed him for scum like you. I would hate myself, if there was profit in self-loathing. So get off your high horse, and don’t underestimate him, or anyone there. If there’s one thing I learned about the Hidden Leaf…” Azami loaded her crossbow, aiming it at Hidan’s head. “…It’s that you can’t underestimate anyone there and NOT pay the price. I wouldn’t have thought Ekyt would survive. I underestimated him, and now I have to go clean up my mess. For you, there will be no second chances. An outright defeat is acceptable- a defeat through ignorance is not.”

Azami shot the arrow next to Hidan’s head.

“So check your ego at the door. That goes for anyone else who gets involved.”

-

“Who the hell put her in charge, un?” Deidara whined. He hated this- Sasori was much better. At least, he thought so. No one had seen Azami fight. She was a big question mark.

“Get a clue, sempai! She’s favored by Itachi! Rumor has it that she fought Kisame to a draw!”

Deidara thought about Tobi’s words as he grabbed him in for a choke.

Is that it, then? Itachi knows her combat style? If she’s alive, she must have really impressed him…Well then…

--

Asuma and Kurenai stood across from Shikamaru and Hana. Kurenai was smiling- she always enjoyed the student vs. teacher battles. They were great learning experiences for both parties. Asuma would really enjoy the battle, despite his griping to the contrary. It was clear that Shikamaru was his special project, in the way that Lee was to Gai; that Sasuke was to Kakashi; that Hinata was to herself. No relationship was ever perfectly harmonious- bumps in the road like this helped shape people, both teacher and student.

“Now then, no hard feelings Shikamaru? This isn’t a GO board- you won’t have time to think your way out of this. Stay sharp, and prove to me that you’re a jonin we can all depend on. And that you’re worthy of the girl you’ve got on your side.” Ohh, powerful opening shot by Asuma.

“Yeah, yeah. You know, one thing my father taught me- you’ve got to stand up to a bully. In his case, he didn’t- he still married my mother. In my case, I’m going to stand up to you now. I probably won’t win, but whatever…I’m here because she (points to Hana) is forcing me to show up…so whatever…”

Hana smacked Shikamaru. “How is that any different than your dad marrying your mom? And stop saying ‘forced’! You just want me, right?”

“Oh, shut up! Why’re you so hung up on that forced kiss?” Shikamaru fired back.

Asuma and Kurenai listened patiently, laughing to themselves.

“Remember when WE argued like that?” Asuma asked, shaking his head. “If he’s THIS worked up now…”

“We still DO argue like that, Asuma. And you’re right- his mind is in no shape for genjutsu.”

“No, we don’t. We outgrew that kind of arguing. And don’t say that what I just said was an argument.”

--

Azami sat alone in a chamber of the Akatsuki’s meeting place. Right now, she was the only one here in person.

So you DID survive…I’m glad, Ekyt. I meant what I said when I told you I loved you. I also meant what I said when I promised myself I’d never love again, as punishment for what I did to you. But now that I’ve been in love, I realize just how wonderful it is? Would you give me the chance to love again, even if it’s not you? What would you think? How would you feel? And how will you feel when we meet? You’ll insist on fighting me, I know that. And you’ll give me a good battle. But winning is different. You’ve never seen my full strength, and I have never seen yours.

I wish it didn’t have to be like this. I wish it with all my heart. Please…die quietly, or kill me quickly. I don’t want to suffer through losing you for real. If I didn’t have these debts…

Our life together would have been complete…

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on March 15, 2009, 7:46:38 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWaaah...I don't want Azami and Ekyt to battle at full power, they'll get hurt! Be interesting to see who wins the teacher/student battle though

andr28a on February 9, 2009, 5:45:48 AM

andr28a on
andr28aTwo hearts bound for battle. THis will be fun

hflp on February 9, 2009, 1:26:38 AM

hflp on
hflpThis is going to be interesting ot say the least. I can't even picture how it will end.