Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 76 - The Invisible Assailant

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 76 - The Invisible Assailant

Chapter 76 - The Invisible Assailant
Ekyt seemed to be okay. No trench coat, no extra cigarettes, and nothing out of the ordinary. To anyone looking on, it would seem as if he was finally at peace. He had been fully accepted as a member of the Hidden Leaf, after long, arduous years of trying. His jonin vest had been mended, and it was back on him each day, without fail. Secretly, his home had been searched, and nothing strange had been found.

In the week it had taken him to recover, Ekyt had done a lot of thinking. He thanked the sensei’s and students who took up the fight on his behalf profusely, promising with a smile that it wouldn’t happen again. Everyone wished him well, gave him flowers and cards, and so on. It was a normal existence- the very existence Ekyt had wanted.

The day came for his first mission back. Tsunade seemed to hold back, but he put her at ease with a few words and an uncharacteristic grin. She returned the smile and handed over the mission log. The mission wasn’t horribly hard. It was a solo mission to bring the Leaf’s annual report to the Fire Daimyo. The scroll tucked safely away in one of his makimono pouches, Ekyt was on his way.

Tsunade watched him go, mixed emotions in her mind. On the one hand, Ekyt needed some time to be alone. He looked and acted fine, but no doubt he still had much to sort through.
On the other hand, after that vicious attack, should he be left alone? Tsunade had finished that idea before Ekyt was out the door.

“Ekyt! I’m adding Ibikki Morino to the mission roster! Rank-wise, you’re the highest, so you’re going to lead.”

“Yes M’lady.”

Nothing in his response to give anything away. And his eyes are calm. The order didn’t bother him at all. Good! I’ll ask Ibikki to let me know how he does. Maybe even what career he’s suited for. It’s about time he figured that out. He’s got a lot of potential to embrace. ANBU is out for now, thanks to the council. But there’s still exam proctor, teacher, field instructor…

A knock on the door brought Tsunade back to the real world. Shuffling papers to make herself seem as though she hadn’t just been daydreaming, she called out ‘come in’. The door swung open and Asuma came up.

“Asuma? This is a surprise! You aren’t one to pay a social call,” Tsunade said mildly, wondering why Asuma was here.

“I know, Lady Hokage, but I had a thought. After what happened the other day, Ekyt needs two things: An instructor and a goal. From what I can see, he’s the type who needs someone, or a cause, to serve, while obtaining greater rank himself. He’s not the type to just be content at any given point.”

Tsunade nodded her agreement of Asuma’s assessment. Asuma took that as a sign that he could continue.

“With some training, he could be one of the Twelve Guardian Ninjas of the Fire Daimyo.”

“That’s exactly what Ekyt needs! (That and a girl that won’t stab him)” Tsunade exclaimed. But Asuma shook his head, not quite sharing her enthusiasm.

“It means a choice, M’lady. He couldn’t guard the Fire Daimyo AND the Leaf Village. We’d lose out on him. There’s no question it would be great experience for him, and a much-needed escape. But at the same time…”

Tsunade’s enthusiasm disappeared as quickly as it had come. Was she willing to let him do that? Yet more thoughts struck her as she thought this over.

It’s not fair for me to choose for him. But if he takes that job, he won’t ever find a girl. If he doesn’t take the job, could I offer him some kind of alternative? It really all come down to what he wants. I doubt he can think the world ‘girl’ without imagining a stab wound right about now…

“Thank you, Asuma. I’ll think about it. It’ll be his decision, of course. Who did you have in mind to instruct him?”

Asuma half-shrugged. “I didn’t think you’d really consider it, so I didn’t think that far ahead. But, for a job like that, Ekyt needs a diverse skill set, especially at his age. Maybe a mix of instructors. That’s the best thing I can think of.

-

Sasuke had managed to escape Ino for a few minutes, claiming he had a mission. Really, his only mission was some quiet time. He really like the Yamanaka girl, but even if you liked her, she could become tiresome quickly.

“Uchiha! Come here!”

Sasuke turned his head in the direction of the voice. It wasn’t a voice he knew, so he was on his guard.

“Who’s talking to me?” Sasuke demanded, looking all over for the source of the voice.

“You don’t know me. Lucky for you. If you’d known me a week ago, we’d have been enemies. But now, I’ve got a new interest. You’re the brother of Itachi Uchiha, correct?”

Sasuke immediately tensed up. The years hadn’t lessened his hatred toward his brother. Beyond hatred, though, was the lack of understanding. Why did Itachi do what he did. There had to be more to it than just ‘gauging his strength’, right?

“I’m his brother. What of it?”

The voice from the shadows seemed to smile. “I know where to find him, that’s what. But I’d need a favor in return…”

Sasuke looked around, then moved closer to the voice. “What is it you want in return for this information? And how do I know I can trust that information?”

“Here, look. Here’s my proof.” The voice had a body, too, as it extended an arm out from the shadows. The arm was covered by the sleeve of an Akatsuki cloak. That was proof enough for Sasuke.

“Fine, I believe you. And your payment for the information you’ve got?” Sasuke’s blood had started to boil over now.

“I want the cloak off his body. I don’t care if the cloak is damaged; I just need it. Do we have a deal?”

“…”

--

Ekyt returned with Ibikki. Not much could be said about their mission. Those who divulged the Fire Daimyo’s secrets usually disappeared. That didn’t stop Ibikki from telling Ekyt a few things.

“Your genjutsu the other day was great. And you’re doing it without handsigns now, you damn show-off. Now just sharpen up the rest of yourself and get a few scars. You’ve never known the pain of capture, have you?”

Ekyt’s mind was scarcely on that topic, but he shook his head. “No. I’ve escaped every time, by luck, skill, or rescue. I doubt it was skill.”

“Well then, we’re going to find out. You have one, glaring weakness- females. You won’t hit them. You’d better get over that quick, if you hope to keep surviving. Chivalry be damned in battle. Save your ‘loving’ attitude for outside the battles. Oh, one more thing- you saw the twelve guards, correct?”

Ekyt nodded. “Sure did. The ones that wouldn’t let us within fifty feet of the daimyo, right? Those guards?”

“You got it. You see how quickly they moved. They’re all different people, but those are the best of the best. Asuma was one of them, once. Kakashi was asked, and of course Master Jiraiya and Lady Hokage, too.”

“That got me wondering- why doesn’t the Hokage have her own guards? I know she’s powerful, and with all respect to that power, with the Akatsuki and Orochimaru around, shouldn’t more precautions be taken?” Ekyt had been wondering about that for quite some time, and just now felt he had a good audience to phrase his concern.

Ibikki didn’t waver in his answer, despite his obvious displeasure. “That’s ANBU’s job. Hell of a job they did with our last Hokage. Left up to them, she could be in huge trouble.”

“If even you, part of ANBU, is saying that, then there’s trouble. The Third didn’t have Naruto and Sakura in his company. Those two are remarkably effective against the Akatsuki.”

Ibikki softened his gaze as he faced Ekyt. “And you?”

“Me? I’m now the worst choice. How many can say their ex-girlfriend is part of the Akatsuki? That, and I’ve never beaten them- I’ve only escaped each time, or forced a stalemate.”

Ibikki didn’t question Ekyt’s feelings toward Azami- it wasn’t his nature. Instead, he replied saying “I’m glad to see you getting a love life didn’t interfere with your training. Your fight was spectacular.”

Coming from Ibikki, that was like Tsunade offering to share her sake with you. Ekyt smiled at the compliment.

“All the same, my fighting style was proven ineffective against those three. It’s strange to think I fared better against Orochimaru.”

“Not strange at all. You two are opposites. You, believe it are not, are the stronger opposite. Orochimaru has already lived a lifetime. He knows more, yes, but his plans are self-centered. You take into account a lot more. Because of that, you may actually be the better strategist.”

“I doubt that very much,” Ekyt laughed. “But it’s great that you think so highly of me. In any case, this must be record time for a mission like this.”

The small talk continued for a while before the two went their separate ways. Ekyt had enjoyed the day, as he didn’t get to chat with Ibikki very often. It seemed all was well with him.

-

Slam, click.

Ekyt shut the door to his room, leaning against it, suddenly exhausted. He put a hand to his heart, the other on his brow. Sweat decorated his forehead and ran in beads down his neck. He breathed heavily and suddenly felt like he weighed three times his normal weight. But it was all normal. It had been like this ever since he came home.

In public, Ekyt was Ekyt. At home, Ekyt was…not quite himself. Or, perhaps, even more like himself.

Throwing himself face-down on his black comforter, Ekyt grabbed the covers and twisted them with his hand, his whole body heavy with emotion. His chest raised and fell with deep breaths meant to control these feelings.

Worry- Worry that he’d caused the village’s ruin by unleashing Azami on them.
Guilt- Guilt that he’d been unable to pick up his own mess, and fix his own mistakes.
Anger- Anger that he had failed.
Frustration- Frustration in that Azami was so far ahead of him
Hopelessness- the Hopelessness he felt. About everything. About nothing.

It was all so impossible. There was no way one human could deal with it. His emotions hurt. They tore him up, night after night, day after day. Anytime he was alone, his emotions dominated him. The emotions he needed most- hope and love- were nowhere to be found. Instead, each night, he finally surrendered to the pain and misery. For one last emotion was kept from him. The only one that stopped him from killing himself. It was ironic, really. That missing emotion:

Complete devastation.

The village hadn’t been destroyed yet. No one had been killed because of him. Therefore, Ekyt’s sanity remained intact. He had no hope of fixing the situation; yet his mind wouldn’t allow him to feel entirely hopeless. It was a void that had become saturated with weight. It was all things real and unreal. It was greater than despair, but less than utter defeat. There was no name for it. It was just a feeling. An indescribable feeling from within.

It was the most horrid genjutsu. And yet there was no way to break it. Inescapable feelings that felt like one of the attacks Ekyt himself unleashed. Was it possible he’d caused this much suffering on another person? And yet it couldn’t be- the people he used genjutsu on appeared before him again and again. That left one option, one truth:

I’m weak…

Strength was a lie. Weakness was a truth. Life and death were full of shoot. Was this living? Was this dying? This pain was indescribable. No, no, that wasn’t true. Ekyt had felt it before.

My anxiety. I used to feel better alone. Now I know how friends feel, and that’s what I need. But I can’t. I can’t do it. I got over anxiety on my own. I’ll beat it again. But why does it feel so impossible this time? Before, I had hope. Where’s the hope? Where is it? Where is it? Have I lost already? Have I lost my mind? The battle? Both? No, no, insane people wouldn’t think this way. I’ve just been set back far- far past the point where I once was. Telling my story must have been the problem. I re-awakened some of my weakness. No, all of it and then some.

Can I really fight this battle again? I won once, but this time…
Checkmate. There’s no earthly way for me to do this. But perhaps there’s an unearthly way. A spiritual way. Praying helped me through the first time. But prayers can’t cure everything without effort. I must make that effort. I can’t live like this. I have to do this. For myself, for once. I can’t concern myself with others until I can control myself. And that means a heavy price. Solitude once more…
Such an unwelcome prospect, but it’s the only one I have. I can’t rely on anyone else, no matter whether they’ve offered or not.


--

Azami waited for Itachi on the outskirts of the Leaf’s lush forests. He came, without fail, right on time.

“Did he live?” Itachi asked, without any other greeting.

“I would assume so. His chakra was gone, but he was rushed away by the top medic-nin. With all respect, I know him very well. He’s alive. Just as you asked…”

Itachi closed his eyes. “Good. He may someday prove a help to Sasuke. You’ve done well. Now, per our agreement…”

Azami put up a hand to stop him. “Itachi, I need a favor. I know the extent of your power, and you know the extent of mine. Can you tell me…how he’s doing? Ekyt, I mean. He knows something’s up, and he won’t sit by quietly. Even if what he said was true about my lack of trust, he can’t let it go. It’s not his nature.”

“What are you asking?” Itachi was strangely calm about it. Sometimes you couldn’t be certain he was evil.

Azami blushed. “I’d like to know…Can you tell me how he is? I mean, can you check up on him somehow? I just…I can’t let him go either. Not without knowing…”

“…” Itachi waited a moment, then spoke on a different subject. “I’ll assume you’ll have nothing else to do with the Akatsuki, in that case?”

“Not true. I have nowhere else to turn until my debt to Pein is paid. I always keep my word.”

--


Ekyt walked in to Tsunade’s office, immediately bowing to the three women in the room. He stayed on his hands and knees, humbling himself.

“My lady, I beg you for time to heal. My wounds…the ones I spoke of to you and Ojousama…they haven’t healed. I’ve bluffed my way through it. But…but there’s nothing there. I’ve been destroyed from the inside, and I need to heal, or I’ll never be any use to anyone. I’m beyond desperate. This battle is one no one can help me with. My duties…oh damn it! I can’t leave Naruto-dono and Ojousama unprotected!”

Tsunade had her eyes closed, hiding the tears in them. Sakura and Shizune watched in silence. This display of emotion and confusions seemed so strange, considering the source. Every broke down now and then, but not Ekyt. Ekyt was supposed to be a rock- largely unchanged, yet shaped and weathered by events.

“Of course you can have time off. And as for Naruto and Sakura. Ekyt, they’re full-fledged ninja. You can’t baby them. You can only help them. But right now, you need to help yourself. Go with my blessing. Take what time you need, and come back to us healthy. The burden you carry is horrible, but the person who carries it is much stronger. Unlike Naruto, your power won’t lend you any help. For whatever reason, it seems you can’t access your emotional chakra. This feeling that you’re no doubt having is your excess emotions building up. Until you learn to control them or release, your mind will be clouded and your body burdened. Tell me your plans, then go with my blessing.”

Ekyt bowed even lower. “Training. In solitude, in the woods. No human contact whatsoever for a month. I WILL conquer this. I promise you! All of you! I’ll train, and I’ll come back and protect all of you. I won’t fight on borrowed strength anymore. If this anxiety is meant to run my life…no, I’ll defeat it!”

“That’s stupid!” Sakura protested, kneeling down next to Ekyt. “Friends exist so they can strengthen each other. Ekyt, you keep trying to put the weight of all our problems on your shoulders. But no one can carry the burdens of the world. Let us help. Don’t try to prove something ridiculous to yourself. Who are you trying to impress? No one doubts you!”

“…I doubt myself, and that’s my biggest weakness of all. I can’t let this happen again. If I fail, someone might die. And I can’t let it happen. I just can’t. I can’t let this go, Ojousama.”

“Ekyt…”

Ekyt looked up, his face set. “Then order me, Ojousama.”

“What?!”

“Order me. You and Naruto-dono are my responsibility. If you think wrong for me to leave, then let the order to stay befall me!”

Sakura didn’t know how to answer. Ekyt was kneeling before her, bowing so his head touched the floor. No one in the room was helping her. She had to make this decision for everyone.

What’s best for Ekyt? That’s what I need to know. He’s in no shape to tell me…Then it’s up to me.

“Ekyt, I order you…”

--
--
--
Bleach Break!

Want Bleach to be a regular fic of mine? Please let me know!
-NG

The Soul Reapers had gathered on and off all day, taking turns guarding. In the Soul Society’s version of a break room, a small group were sitting down- some for the first time in days.

“Hey, Captain Hitsugaya- is that guy new?”

Hitsugaya turned to see who was being indicated. The 9th seat in his company had dropped in to make sure Hitsugaya’s weapon was in top condition, and that the Captain himself was doing well.

“Him? No. He’s been here for years. Good Soul Reaper, too. Just not the type to stand out.” Hitsugaya shrugged. “Behind the scenes is his thing.”

The Soul Reaper in question got up and walked out the door. His Zanpaku-to wasn’t particularly impressive (not that you could judge those things by a glance), and he wasn’t tall, or well-defined. The perfect type to fit in with a crowd.

-

“Rukia? You’ve got a visitor.”

The guard gave the Soul Reaper a nod. It was returned in passing as he reached Rukia’s cell.

“How are you today, Miss Rukia?”

Rukia rolled her eyes. “Again with the ‘Miss’ thing? Didn’t I say not to call me that?”

“A title is a title, you know? I’d get in trouble if I DIDN’T call you that.”

“…”

“Anyway, I just dropped by to see if there’s anything I can do…guard, give us a minute, will you?”

The guard shook his head. “She’s dangerous. Can’t let you do that.”

The Soul Reaper gave him a mild glare. “It’s private. And I’m a big boy- I can take care of myself if Miss Rukia decides to fight me. I just need a couple minutes, alright?”

The guard went through this every day. He wasn’t about to stop the nameless Soul Reaper; it was just a matter of each of them fulfilling their duties. The guard had to caution him. Taking heed of that caution was arbitrary.

“Sure thing. Five minutes?”

“That’ll do. Thank you.”

The guard walked away, wondering if this Soul Reaper had a thing for Rukia Kuchiki. She wasn’t overly attractive- then again, neither was he. Rukia DID have her distinguished name, though that seemed to mean little to her.

Whatever. The guard shrugged. None of his business. It was obvious neither one was doing anything illegal, so it was no skin off his nose.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on March 15, 2009, 11:57:57 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDSakura really has a lot of power right there. I hope she makes the right decision, I'd hate to see Ekyt go totally off the rails.

andr28a on March 2, 2009, 7:52:43 AM

andr28a on
andr28aEkyt is starting to fall apart.

hflp on February 28, 2009, 12:47:45 AM

hflp on
hflpGeez. What is with this guy always going it alone. He's gonna kill himself that way.