Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 80 - My Intuition and My Wisdom Grow

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 80 - My Intuition and My Wisdom Grow

Chapter 80 - My Intuition and My Wisdom Grow
Itachi opened his eyes, letting his chakra return to his body.

“Well?!” Azami asked anxiously.

“He’s suffering. Kakuzu and Hidan killed someone he was trying to protect, so no doubt things will only get worse for him now…”

Azami snarled, thinking of the way she would destroy Hidan. She couldn’t yet, of course, but she would in due time.
Or should I leave him for Ekyt? After all, I’d want to beat the crap out of my ex’s new boyfriend, too… Not to mention that killing thing. Bastard.

Strangely, it seemed like Itachi had some compassion when it came to Azami.

“Do you want to see him? It’s very possible…”

--

At the funeral, Ekyt was quiet. But there was fire in his eyes again, and for that everyone was relieved. Though they soon felt guilty for feeling that relief. In a shattered temple, with bodies laying all around. Among them, the only one to get a real funeral was the brave miko. What she had done was far above and beyond the call of duty.

Her method was so effective…two hits and she had Hidan defeated. I suppose her chakra seal has since worn off, because her chakra is gone…

Right then and there, Ekyt planned to learn that technique. He would ask after the funeral. The shrine maidens and monks were grateful to him, so maybe they could throw him a bone.

“I can’t believe it…my baby sister…”

Ekyt was startled to find someone at his elbow. It was a shrine maiden, around twenty years old. She looked just like the girl in the casket. So much so that Ekyt had to do a double-take. He bowed to her and spoke quietly.

“I’m sorry for your loss.”

“It’s no fault of yours. The little fool! I told her to let me handle it, and for her to stay hidden! But she had to be brave…” the girl let a tear trickle down her face, though she quickly wiped it away with her sleeve. “Why be brave if all it does it earn you a horrible death.”

Ekyt wasn’t sure what to say for a moment. But, slowly, words of wisdom crept into his head. “Men and women should be judged on how they lived, not how they died. If they lived a brave life, shouldn’t they be praised. I’m very grateful to your sister for her bravery. It taught me an important lesson. I hope it has that effect on others as well.”

This miko was silent, contemplating what Ekyt had said.

“You’re right, warrior. I hope I can be as brave when the time comes.”

Ekyt got an idea. He could learn from her. “Or maybe help others be brave, and possibly avenge your sister?” he asked quietly, a hint of suggestion in his voice.

“What do you have in mind, warrior?”

“Chakra Sealing. I need to know how to perform the jutsu with a ward, as your sister did. Is there any way you can help me learn? I’m a frequent opponent of the ones that destroyed your temple, and I wish to make sure that their reign of terror is stopped. With that seal, it might just be possible.”

“Do you plan to kill?”

“…Yes.”

The miko lowered her gaze, thinking to herself. “I am trained against killing…humans, anyway. Those two are demons who need to be exorcised. Fine, warrior, I will help you. But you’ll need a partner- someone you trust with the utmost faith.”

“Male or female?”

“That is entirely up to you. You don’t seem like the type to fondle women’s breasts, so perhaps a male would be better for you.”

Ekyt blushed at the notion. “I understand. I’ll pick someone and get back to you.”

The miko pointed toward the waterfall at the back of the temple. “I will meet you there when you have your partner.”

-

Azami leapt out from behind a crate, knocked the Rain ninja unconcious, and dragged him into the alleyway.

“Will this weakling do?” Azami asked Itachi, who had been sitting quietly and preparing himself.

Itachi opened one eye. His Sharingan spun, focusing on the body. “…Yes. This jutsu leaves me vulnerable to attack while mediating, so you’ll have to alert me to the presence of anyone. I place my trust in you…”

“Right. And when you’ve set up the jutsu, you set it to my appearance, and I take control and start talking.” Azami understood the plan, having even ran through it in her head a bunch of times. “And if the host dies?”

“It’s of no concern to your own health,” Itachi informed her. “It will only have a measure of your chakra- however much you decide. Just for a conversation, you won’t need to give it much.”

--

Ekyt looked from person to person, trying to decide who he trusted. The senseis wouldn’t like this technique. And if he screwed up, who could afford to have his chakra sealed?

“No one, that’s who… But I could…Naruto!”

Naruto perked up, having heard his name. He had been talking animatedly with Sakura, but put his conversation on hold.

“Hey, what’s up?! Man, you gonna hit on the hot miko or what?!”

Ryouko shook his head. “No. Not yet, anyway. I wanted to ask you- do you think you and your shadow clones could help me out. And maybe Sakura, too, in case I mess up and hurt you or something…”

Naruto ignored the suspicious overtone in Ekyt’s voice, called to Sakura, and left to follow Ekyt.

--

The Miko was sitting under the waterfall. Her gi top was folded neatly on the ground. She seemed comfortable, sitting under the waterfall in her breast wrap and hakama.

“Whoa! Sorry, I didn’t know!” Ekyt exclaimed, as much to the miko as to Naruto and Sakura.

The Miko didn’t seem disturbed. “Good, you’re here. If you’ll stop the childish reaction to nudity, we can begin. We’re born naked, and naked is natural, in the right environment. Besides, I’m sure it’s nothing you haven’t seen before. Now then, which one is your partner.”

Ekyt pointed to Naruto. “He is. The girl, Sakura, is a healer, should we require one.”

The Miko moved closer to Ekyt. He was tempted to back away, but felt that would be the wrong reaction. “Have you no confidence in your abilities?! You are but a child, pretending to be a warrior! The wisdom you spoke of earlier made me believe otherwise, and I had hoped that you might be able to stand up to this new, terrible threat! But you’re just a perverted child!”

Ekyt wasn’t sure what to say to that. “I’m the pervert?! YOU’RE the one walking around almost topless! And no, I don’t have confidence! How can I have confidence in something I’ve never performed before? Faith comes with experience, not blind trust! I doubt even a shrine maiden believes in that which she can’t experience with complete trust. If you DID, wouldn’t you forget about learning to fight and let the trees destroy your enemies?!”

The miko grabbed Ekyt’s vest. “You have guts. That’s necessary, believe me. Because you’re going to be without chakra for an hour. You’ll spar the two you brought with you without it. The first step to sealing chakra is to see it done. The second is to experience the complete absence of chakra with your own being.”

“Hold on! Without chakra means that any injuries he sustains will be twice as painful!” Sakura protested.

“You care for him, do you?” The miko smirked.

“He’s a friend. Isn’t that how it normally is?” That dog!

“Then place your trust in him to be a competent warrior!”

Man, I wonder if Sakura wears breast wrap, or… Naruto slipped a glance toward Sakura, which earned him a punch.

“I can read your thoughts, pervert,” Sakura admonished playfully.

Ekyt, however, took off his vest and shirt. The miko nodded.

“Good. You’ve noticed that the ward must be applied to skin. Perhaps you’re not entirely useless…heh. Fine then. Go sit under the waterfall and purify your body. The tag tends to burn, so the water should deter it a little. But be prepared for pain. And you two!” The miko spun to Sakura and Naruto. “Don’t use your killing strikes, but beyond that- don’t hold back. You won’t be doing him any favors.”

Ekyt took his place under the waterfall, while the miko sat down to prepare. That left Naruto and Sakura to talk.

“He’s serious about this. I’m almost worried…” Naruto glanced at Ekyt, not even blushing, despite a single girl being right there.

“He came to us for help. That’s what this trip was for. I was worried he’d clam up more after what happened last night. But it looks like that death slapped him in the face and lit a fire under his @$$.”

Sakura tightened her gloves and gave Naruto a playful smile, winking and sticking out her tongue. “Shall we, then?”

“You bet!”

-

The miko smiled at the young couple. Then she turned her focus to the other young man. She could feel the jealousy running through him. But he was so desperate not to show it. She stood in front of him as he sat on a rock under the waterfall.

Darkness in his soul. Self-doubt, self-hatred, self-pity. And yet his actions are for others. An enigma, this boy.

“Tell me, warrior- the pink haired girl- you fancied her, yes?”

Ekyt didn’t look up. “Yes. But I stepped out of the way willingly. If my life has been hard, then the boy she’s with now has had it ten times as hard.”

“Selfless. And yet, it is for her sake that you train?” the miko smiled, wagging a finger. “Just what is she to you?”

“Ojousama…and a friend.”

The miko gripped Ekyt’s chin, forcing him to meet her gaze. “Next time, say ‘friend’ first. That’s what she wants to be to you, not ‘Ojousama’. Do you get my drift, warrior?”

“…I follow.”

“Good! Now then, I’m going to put the seal on you soon. So, in case you die, I should say ‘thank you’ beforehand.”

Ekyt stared back. “For what?”

The miko brushed back his wet hair and kissed his forehead. “For helping my sister. And for helping me cope with losing her. I thank you for that, warrior. Your strength helped give me strength.”

“All I did was fall down, and she saved me, really,” Ekyt told her, in modesty. All that earned him was a slap on the cheek.

“I gave you a compliment. Talking down about yourself in the same manner as the compliment is the same as refusing the compliment. Is that it- do you refuse the compliment?”

“…No. Thank you for the kind words.” Ekyt forced his face into making a kind smile.

“That’s better. You’re much better looking when you smile…” the miko leaned forward. Ekyt forced himself to make eye contact- if he looked down, he’d really get an eyeful. But it felt sinful to peep at a miko.
That, and my conscience won’t let me get away with it.

She kept leaning forward, staring at him so seriously he was sure that she meant business. Instead, she flicked him in the forehead.

“I guess it can’t be help. Men are perverts. Oh well. Enough teasing. It’s time for the seal.”

The miko chanted a little bit, holding a ward in her hand. Ekyt paid close attention, but couldn’t catch her words. Then she slapped the ward on his chest. Instantly, his body got heavier, and his breathing labored slightly.

“Now, you two- attack him!”

Without chakra, Ekyt was a normal person. He had to block and dodge like a normal person. He realized quickly that he had to be very selective of how to block Sakura’s strikes.

Even if she holds back, her lightest punch can shatter a bone, if hit dead-on. I’ll have to deflect her punches and counter-attack. And Naruto…I’d better stay the heck away from his Rasengan. I like Naruto, but he might forget to hold back…

So Ekyt blocked, punched, kicked, and dodged. He got cut up and bruised badly. Man, Sakura played rough! Naruto seemed surprised by pure martial-arts, although he adapted quickly, as he always did. Soon, Ekyt was overrun. The attacks slowed. When they did, he went on the offensive.

There can be no rest. There is no rest for the weary. Each moment I don’t learn this technique is another moment I will never get back. If I can’t understand this technique, then I’ll never know why Azami did what she did. And I’ll never be anything but what I am now.

My throat is tightening. My stomach is churning. It’s anxiety, isn’t it? It always is.

But what if it’s not?
NO! Stop thinking like that! It’s anxiety, and it can’t hurt you! Keep fighting!


By now, Sakura could tell when Ekyt’s anxiety was going to get out of control. Pain could snap him out of it, but she couldn’t bring herself to inflict that pain. Neither would Ekyt do it to himself. Instead, he would suffer through it. In silence and alone, as always. But this time, to Sakura and Naruto, it seemed like Ekyt wanted to say something. Like he could open his mouth, but couldn’t pick the correct words. Had their offers for help finally reached his ears?

Ekyt kept fighting, though his breathing was becoming labored. When he finally got hit, it took him far longer to recover than usual. He skidded toward the waterfall. A Naruto clone dove on him. Ekyt wrestled with it in the water, but couldn’t get the upper-hand.

What if I drown? What if I can’t breathe? What if I die? What if my chakra never comes back?

Ekyt’s mind was racing now. The clone got the better of him and punched him. Ekyt blocked it just enough to avoid a critical shot, but it wasn’t a shot he needed to take at all.

The miko watched all this, her eyes indifferent to Ekyt’s suffering. When it became apparent that he would be overpowered, and that his mental state was deteriorating, the miko took action. She killed the Naruto clone with a swing of her naginata. She also cut Ekyt across the shoulder. Blood seeped out around the hand he put there to slow the bleeding.

“What the hell?” Naruto lost his temper and sent a clone after the miko. She cut it down and kicked the oncoming Naruto in the forehead.

“For help, a price must be paid,” the miko informed them. She looked down at Ekyt, who was still holding his shoulder. With a glance, she evaluated his mental condition. He was losing control.
I know nothing about his condition, but there’s clearly something wrong. He seems to react to pain. That little cut I gave him won’t hurt it. It may, in fact, help him. He has fifteen minutes to go. I can’t stop this prematurely. Events that are set in motion cannot be interrupted. If he’s survived this long, he may be able to handle the technique. It’s not merely slapping a tag on someone. It takes a special kind of attack. Defense and offense in one strike isn’t something everyone is capable of. But anyone who can overcome mental anguish that manifests itself through physical problems must be able to multi-task well enough to perform this seal.
Ekyt, by the end of this you will undoubtedly hate me. I hate to be this way towards such a gentle soul, but what must be done, must be done. And I want to see my sister avenged! If not through me, then through a technique unique to our family!


“A ‘price’?! How’s him saving your @$$ for a price?!” Naruto snarled, his eyes lighting up and the ‘whiskers’ on his face becoming more jagged as he watched a friend suffer. “He was ready to give his life for your stupid temple, and when he goes to learn from you, all he gets is abuse and a miko who isn’t shy! That’s just wrong!”

“Naruto! Enough! A price must be paid when a service is rendered.” Ekyt was finally up, his breathing going back to normal. “I have no trouble with doing what she asks. If a cut is the only price I pay…”
Ekyt smiled, closing his eyes as well.
“Then I’ll call that an excellent trade. Wouldn’t you? Now, please, keep going. I believe I’ve got some time left…”

Naruto did as Ekyt asked, throwing punch after punch. Ekyt dodged backward, just barely evading each strike. A smile spread across his face.
I can do this. With help, I can do this. I get the feeling that this miko is acting this way to ensure I understand how dangerous this is. Or something along those lines. In any event, I need to take this- and myself- seriously. I have someone to avenge now. It’s not just about my own ends. Which means this is a ‘cry for help’. A cry for help I can’t ignore. If I try to handle this on my own, I’ll fail. For once, I will let myself rely on the others. After that, who can say? If I’m the only one at risk, then I’ll handle it myself. But I won’t endanger someone else because I was too stubborn to ask for help.

Ekyt caught Naruto’s arm and threw him to the ground. As Naruto rolled away, Sakura came in, her fists flying as well. Ekyt was reluctant to hit her, or even touch her. Because, well, she was a girl. All the same, holding back in combat was a veritable sin. He would just have to be creative.

Ekyt deflected her punch, then stepped forward, pushing her own arm against her chest. He trapped her foot as well, then gave her a little shove to make her stumble backward.

“HEY! You flat-out threw me! And you just push her nicely?! How come?!” Naruto protested, running at Ekyt.

“Because she’s a girl. And a good friend’s girlfriend at that. You’d hurt me if I hurt her. Besides, she’s a friend. And Ojousama, too.”

The miko smiled at that. So he heard me after all. Well, I’m sure the young lady will be thrilled that he said ‘friend’ first. Beyond that, he really wants to learn this technique. I hope it won’t bring him the same fate it brought my sister. I don’t want him to die, too. But something tells me he won’t. He’s not the type to just die. Lightning may strike him, but he’ll live through it, learn from it, and grow because of it. He’s bent, not broken. But I doubt many can see that. If people took the time to really look at their fellows, at the people around them, they would see that some people are transparent, while others require more thought. A puzzle, of sorts. Some more-so than others.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on March 21, 2009, 9:10:07 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDI hope this girl really can help. Ekyt needs some good luck!

hflp on March 17, 2009, 8:14:44 AM

hflp on
hflpNice chapter. Good work.

andr28a on March 16, 2009, 7:29:39 PM

andr28a on
andr28aTypical the person that can teach him a new tech is a girl