Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 82 - Ekyt: The Next Guardian?

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 82 - Ekyt: The Next Guardian?

Chapter 82 - Ekyt: The Next Guardian?
Ekyt was to have a sparring match with Kakashi. The first move was Kakashi willingly letting Ekyt place a chakra seal on him. To do so, Ekyt had to do three things:

1. Put a little chakra into a ward
2. Plant the ward on Kakashi’s bare skin
3. Chant a ‘code’ that would activate the seal

The code could be anything the user wanted. Ekyt chose the words ‘Tiger and Dragon’ as his code. He slapped the tag on Kakashi’s arm.

“Okay. Now remember, concentrate on guiding your chakra into his body. BEGIN!”

Kakashi rushed Ekyt, stabbing with a knife. Ekyt blocked with his own knife, but the miko rapped him in the head.

“FAIL!”

Ekyt had forgotten to focus his chakra into the seal the instant Kakashi had attacked.

“Damn it!”

“It’s fine. You, the pink-haired girl! This time, you’re going to back Ekyt up! But before you do, talk with him for two minutes.”
-

Sakura and Ekyt walked off to the side.

“You trust me, right?” Sakura asked earnestly. The miko said to say this…but why?

“I do.”

“Even in combat?”

“Yes, even then.”

“Okay then. I want you to trust me. You kneel in the back, and stay behind me. Focus completely on the tag on Kakashi-sensei. I’ll keep him at bay while you keep your chakra flowing. Don’t lose your concentration, okay? I’ve got your back. We can do this.”

-

Ekyt did as he was told, and the results were decidedly different. While he knelt in the back, Kakashi’s moves, while expertly executed, were slower. Much slower. Sakura landed a half-speed punch on him, ending the drill.

So that’s it… Ekyt thought, nodding slightly to himself. It’s like when Shikamaru does his Shadow Possession. He trusts his teammates to either provide a distraction, or keep the threats away. Or he’s backing someone else up. He trusts them, and that’s why it works.

The miko instructor nodded, apparently satisfied with the results. “It looks like you’ve understood it. When you master this technique, you’ll be able to fight full-speed while maintaining the tag. Until you can do that, plant the tag and drop to the rear of the battle. Your enemies will be obliterated by your teammates in no time, as long as you keep your concentration on that tag, and you trust who you’re working with.”

Right. So I’m useless in combat after I get that tag on. But it does do what I need it to… At any rate, there’s no way I’ll master this in time for this ‘tryout’ match. But if the Akatsuki show up again…

Ekyt knelt at the miko’s feet. “Thank you so much. I owe you a great deal. If you’re ever in need of my help, I’ll do whatever I can to help.”

The miko lost her cool exterior, turning a furious shade of red at being addressed like this. “J-just beat those idiots! Now, go! Your friends tell me you have a tryout match in a few days. Go on, start traveling!”

“I will. Thanks again,” Ekyt called over his shoulder with wave, walking back over to his group.

The miko gave a cordial wave to Ekyt and co. She put her sleeve over her face the second they were out of site.

I see why he has that group of friends. For all the abuse I gave him, he was polite and kind the entire time. He’s very cute as well. If it was in my nature, I would wish that he would fail in his quest and return to me. Imagine, twenty years old and I’ve never been on a date, or even kissed a boy! No way there’s anyone else like that in the world! That guy wouldn’t like me if he knew that! I’m such a loser!

-

A few times along their trip, Ekyt lost control of himself. He would breathe heavy, feel faint, feel sick, and the like. Each time, a member of the group he was with now stopped and reminded him that he wasn’t alone. They understood he couldn’t ask for help. He barely understood this problem, much less knew how to explain it, or what help he needed to get through it. It seemed like the support was enough.

As they grew nearer to the place where Ekyt’s test was to be held, Ekyt found himself having a lot of questions.

What kind of test is this? I know it’s a fight, but there’s likely some special parameters. And these guardians must be on level with the Akatsuki, if they’re protecting the most important person to our land. I’ve won against the Akatsuki, but I’ve also lost, depending on the circumstances. And the circumstances I’m about to fight under are hardly ideal…

-

“Asuma, what kind of threat is he facing? And can we watch?”

Kakashi was usually the authority on these things. Back when he did everything by the book, he had learned lots of rules- even the rules of different nations. But this was different entirely. He had been asked to be one of the Daimyo’s guards, but had declined due to his absolute loyalty to the Leaf. There were never any details given about the test, and he had never asked.

Asuma thought back to his own test. “There are no spectators. You can bring whoever you want with you, and they can wait for you, but they can’t go in the room with you. Although it’s highly encouraged to bring a medic, because the likelihood for injury or death is high. VERY high. Sometimes, the losers are even executed. That’s the risk you take.”

Everyone had their own thoughts about that. But they all led to one thing- worry for Ekyt. He wasn’t at one hundred percent yet. He had heard of the repercussions for failure, but he didn’t brood about it. Instead, he gave a weak smile and asked for a drill in chakra control.

“I need to tame my dragons,” he said simply.

“Later. Right now is the time for you to make one very important memory. There’s a Korean Barbeque place up ahead. I actually had a meal there before my test. Maybe it’s superstition, but I swear the meat there is good luck. And if anything, that’s what you need.”

Asuma was never that nice. He never left anything to chance. He was blunt, almost to the point of being rude. But he would reward hard work. And if there was someone long overdue for compensation for his hard work, it was Ekyt.

-

It was a party. There were so many memories. Ones that would warm the coldest heart. Naruto putting chopsticks up his nose, while tucking the other end into his bottom lip. Choji’s voracious eating, coupled with Ino’s remarks about how girls would like him more if he lost weight. Sasuke and Naruto glaring at each other during an improptu eating contest (things hadn’t changed much since the Land of Waves in terms of maturity level, apparently). Sakura’s disdain at the stupid eating contest. There was the hope of seeing Kakashi remove his mask, only to have Yamato put him in a wooden enclosure so no one could see. When Yamato himself tried to look in, Kakashi jabbed him in the eye with an outstretched chopstick. Then Sai tried to give everyone pet names again:

Choji: Chubby (A brawl ensued)
Sakura: Plain (A brawl ensued)
Ino: Hottie (Sakura smacked Sai again)
Naruto: Idiot (A brawl ensued)
Shikamaru: Lazy (…no response)
Asuma: Chimney (…no response)
Sasuke: (No one even let Sai say anything there. Sasuke would’ve killed him)
Ekyt: Single (Ouch! But it WAS funny)

At the end of the meal, they each had a glass of sake. Among them, only Kakashi, Yamato, Asuma, and Ekyt were actually of legal age. They all held their liquor well. The girls didn’t, and started to perform an impromptu strip show. That was quickly grounded by their boyfriends, though they weren’t in much better shape.

It was so…normal. And that normality was what was missing from Ekyt’s life. He had laughed and joked with the rest. Even if it was only once, it was indeed a memory he needed to make. Finally, Asuma thrust a cigarette into his hand.

“Call it good luck. I know you’re not a smoker, but at least take one puff. Then stick to your healthy crap, okay? My cigarettes enhance my jutsus, but they’ll only ruin your lungs. Your chakra cigs are safer, and serve a purpose.”

Ekyt took the cigarette with a nod of thanks. “So, if I lose, I die, huh?”

“It’s possible,” Asuma admitted. “You don’t sound worried, though. Confident?”

“No, not at all, really,” Ekyt replied with a small chuckle. “But I’ve come this far. Turning back isn’t the right choice. If I gave up, I’d never heal myself. Besides that, I’ve been near death so many times it doesn’t seem quite as scary anymore. I always wind up getting saved, it seems.”

Asuma didn’t have the heart to tell him that if he lost this time, there would be no saving. The group of ten would become a group of nine, and they may not even have a body to bring back to the Village Hidden in the Leaves.

“Well, you’ll do fine, so I’m not worried.”

That was a hell of a lie I just told. But maybe if I have confidence, so will he…
That’s what Asuma hoped anyway.

-

Two days later, the awesome sight of the Fire Daimyo’s mansion greeted their eyes. Ekyt, Kakashi, and Asuma had all been here before. The mansion was five stories tall, with multiple small temples around the garden. The crest of the Land of Fire was on every banner, and the banners dotted the entire landscape.

“Welcome!”

A group of five girls, dressed traditionally, all crowded around the speaker. He was a tall man, dressed formally in an incredibly fancy servant’s kimono.

“Which one of you is ‘Ekyt’? If you will follow me, please, when you’re ready. There is no set time for the fight to begin, so you may take as much time as you need to prepare. The girls here will take care of your friends.”

On cue, the girls led everyone to one of the buildings that Ekyt had mistaken for a temple. It was, in fact, a formal entertaining room. Cushions and low tables filled the high-ceiling room. Each member of the group picked a spot. Immediately, tea and snacks were served to them.

“Man, I never wanna leave!” Naruto declared, tucking in without waiting for anyone else. Everyone was used to his loud eating and drinking, and paid no mind. Most attention was on Ekyt anyway.

He was dressed as carefully as anyone had ever seen him. His uniform was straightened and tight to his body. His vest had been mended carefully, and every button shined. His headband had been cleaned until it gleaned. Even the knot that held it in place was tied symmetrically. Unlike the others, he never wore sandals, opting instead for lightweight boots that were long enough to protect his shins.

“This is it, then,” Ekyt announced. “Thank you all. Win or lose, I’ll make all of you proud of me, and I’ll make sure that I honor both my headband and those who helped me feel like I really deserved it. You’ve stuck with me this entire time, even while I beat myself up and refused help. Thanks…Just thanks…”

Everyone shouted words of encouragement and luck. And with that, Ekyt followed the servant.

-

Ekyt was led into a darkened room. He could sense fourteen chakras, plus his own, after the servant bowed out.

“So, you wish to test for a spot among the Twelve Shinobi who guard the most honorable Fire Daimyo?”

Ekyt gulped. “I do.”

“Please state your village.”

“Konohagakure.”

“As we already know your name, Ekyt Kaguya, we will begin. There are no special rules for your match. But a word of advice: If you lose, you will be killed. Do you wish to back out of the challenge? You may still do so. If you do, you may not return for a rematch ever again, barring any outside judgment from the Fire Daimyo himself. Do you wish to proceed.”

“…Yes.”

Ekyt’s voice carried certainty in every tone. He was ready for this. He wanted to do this. There was no turning back now.”

“Very well then. Will his opponent please step forward now, and prepare to fight immediately after introductions?”

The light flicked on, blinding Ekyt for a moment. He didn’t drop his guard at any point, though. When he could see again, he saw his opponent for the first time.

“How do you do? My name is Shinmaru, and I’ll be your opponent. Best of luck to you, challenger!”

Shinmaru was roughly six feet tall. He was bald, though he wore a small mustache on his upper lip. His skin was creased, making him look older, though he spoke as though he wasn’t yet out of his twenties. His body was that of younger man as well, as evidenced by his muscles when he threw aside his haori jacket, revealing a bare chest and stomach, and arms that were clearly no stranger to the inside of a gym.

Ekyt, by contrast, was maybe five feet nine inches tall. He had a thick mop of dark brown hair, and wore a typical jonin uniform, though it was black in color, instead of blue. That made his green vest stand out all the more.

Taijutsu… Ekyt thought to himself. He gave a small, courteous bow.

“Thank you, and good luck to you as well. I’m looking forward to our fight.

The voice from nowhere that had made the announcements spoke again. “Whenever you are ready, the match will begin. There is no time limit, and no special circumstances. Challenger may forfeit at any time and leave unharmed. Guardian may not forfeit, under penalty of being stripped of his position. Begin whenever you are ready.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on March 24, 2009, 12:09:43 PM

hflp on
hflpOh crap. I got a bad feeling about this.

andr28a on March 23, 2009, 7:12:27 PM

andr28a on
andr28aThis is going to be good