Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 90 - Unhealthy

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 90 - Unhealthy

Chapter 90 - Unhealthy
Tsunade immediately took care of Ekyt. Sedating him, she also called in Ibikki to analyze his subconscious.

“I’ve been suspecting weakening for some time…” Tsunade murmured, biting her lip. “When he overcame the pain of his eye this time, he also experienced the pain of ‘loss’ again. Before he had Azami, there was no ‘loss’; only ‘void’ of “never having”. It’s unhealthy. Especially for him.”

“Especially?” Ibikki asked, somewhat concerned for his younger comrade. “In what way, M’lady?”

“In the only way that makes sense. Ekyt copes with everything by throwing himself into his work. Studying takes a lot of brainpower and willpower. Ekyt has both in spades, but when his anxiety also takes up residence in his mind, added to his new sense of loss…It’s an unstable mix. Dangerously unstable.”

“And how is it treated? You don’t sound like you’ve given up on him yet,” Ibikki pointed out.

“True. He needs a purpose, Ibikki. I need to keep him away from combat for a while. His eye won’t heal for a month, at least. That should be long enough for his mental state to stabilize.”

Ibikki narrowed his eyes. “A desk job? For him? I don’t see it working out.”

Tsunade shrugged, revealing her idea. “I plan to make him the leader of a branch of ANBU. That, and let him go ahead and guard Naruto and Sakura the way he seems to want to.” She steepled her fingers, eyes dead serious. “He told me a prediction from the Mizukage…it’s eerily similar to one the Third Hokage made…”

Tsunade explained it quietly- no one needed to know about this. Ibikki’s eyes widened- the man who was never surprised had been caught off guard.

“Either a legend himself, or a stepping stone for the next three…No wonder you’re so intent on keeping him in fighting shape…”

Tsunade patted Ekyt’s head. “Well, he’s a good guy without all those reasons, too. What gets me is that he’s such a loner. And yet, everyone seems to want to be his friend. Like the two Mist Ninja that followed him here.”

Tsunade and Ibikki contemplated Ekyt a little longer. There was a black patch over his hurt eye. The scar would almost completely heal, save for a small line under the eye itself.

“Right then. Let’s release the genjutsu and get him up.”

--
“Yuushi…I’m so proud of you. I’ve watched you grow into a man. With a bride, and skill with the sword that I never dreamed imaginable. You need to learn of your real self- your past. That, I can’t teach. But your brother can.”

Ekyt never wore his trench coat much more, but he had broken it out today. A breeze tossed it, along with his hair, as he stood atop Lone Pine Hill. Inside of him, there was an internal battle. But he knew the correct answer without really thinking.

“You should go with Okayu. And your wife, too. At least for a while. Your heritage is yours to embrace, and you should do so.”

Yuushi walked toward his teacher, feeling so much that it was impossible to describe. He reached out a hand, but withdrew it. Instead, he got to his knees and bowed; his head touching the ground.

“You are and always will be ‘sensei’ to me. And more than that…family.”

Standing up, Yuushi made his way over to Okayu. “I want to learn of our heritage. But I don’t want to uproot Kantai to do so. Won’t you stay here, brother?”

Okayu looked to his comrade. Mimizu wore a smile.

“Of course!” Mimizu yelled out, waving brightly. “You got a brother! Man, that’s so cool! And I’m staying, too! You people are fun!”

Ekyt gave a rare, genuine smile. “Well, I’ll leave you to get settled. It’s time I took my leave anyway. I’ve got a new job, starting tomorrow.”

--

I sounded as happy as I could… Ekyt thought, sorting out all that had happened. I now have a huge bounty on my head. I have a hurt eye and leg. And I may never been the same. My injuries will heal. But though a teacher’s greatest desire is to see his student grow beyond his own abilities…I guess I wasn’t ready for it. I’m only twenty; I’m not ready to sip sake on a porch and make proverbs about the sun and moon!

And Yuushi…man, a wife at his age, and a brother he never knew he had that gave an eye for him. I’m glad his life is coming together.

But what about my own? My strength has grown, but other parts of me have grown more distant.

That instant in battle… I felt it. Like ‘Ryouko’. Is that healthy, though? Could ‘Ryouko’ do what ‘Ekyt’ couldn’t? Is he a match for Azami? They’re both me, but Ryouko is another side of me. One less explored. Maybe he should be.

And maybe I should tie up some loose ends…

--

The rain poured down on Ekyt as he made his way toward Taro’s house. Taro, Azami’s father, liked Ekyt, and was completely disgusted with his daughter. Sitting down over a cup of tea, the two chatted amiably for a bit, before Taro finally bit off a nasty sentence.

“Damn her! How could she do that to the best thing to ever happen to her?!”

Ekyt finished a long gulp of tea. “Well, she was coerced. She didn’t have a choice, apparently. I would believe her. Your daughter is a great many things- evil is not one of those things. I won’t believe it.”

Taro clapped Ekyt on the shoulder. “Thank you for the loyalty you’re showing my daughter. A lot of other guys would have moved on. You certainly shouldn’t lack female suitors…”

“Just one other, actually. A Shrine Maiden, of all things. But I couldn’t do that to her. She isn’t accustomed to seeing bloodshed, and I won’t break her if I can help it.”
At least not until I found for sure Azami doesn’t love me. Once I’m sure, then maybe I can think about other girls. But loyalty first. As far as I’m concerned, Azami is my responsibility.

“At any rate, sir, I want to contact your daughter. Do you have any ideas, any at all, about how I can reach her?” Ekyt let himself sound desperate at the end. He felt that desperation in real life, but he could normally hide it. For now, emotions would serve their purpose.

Taro scratched his chin. “Well, there’s always her birds. They can find her. But, and no offense son- I know you’re a soldier, and you’re gonna hate hearing this- but you couldn’t beat her at full strength. And now…”

Ekyt looked down at himself. “I know. One good eye, and a cut torso. But this is the best time to contact her. The company she keeps is dangerous, and there’s a chance they’ll come after me. I want to make use of that chance now, while I can. If I’m less of a threat, she might actually hear me out.”

“…Just…help my little girl…” Taro choked out, holding his arm up. He made a strange clicking sound with his tongue. A tropical bird fluttered down to his arm, immediately upon landing raising it’s leg to take a message.

“I’ll do all I can. And then I’ll do more,” Ekyt promised, writing a note out.

“Not to get hung up on details, but…is this okay by your village?”

Ekyt produced a badge. “Director of Special Investigations, newest branch of ANBU. I’d call this special. It’s am immediate threat to the village’s security, so…”

Taro smirked. “I should know better than to question you. It’s strange how you always manage to make things work out…Well, somewhat.”

“Let’s hope the same applies with your daughter, then. Both for her sake and mine.”

Taro cocked his head. “Just answer me this- have you gotten stronger since she betrayed you? Because when I saw you fight, I saw someone who, despite himself, held back…”

Ekyt had grappled with this constantly since that day. “I know. I didn’t mean to, but I did. I was scared to kill someone. Anyone. If I had…maybe I could have convinced Azami to stay. Even she couldn’t fend off the whole village without any backup. If I had just killed those two…”
Ekyt stood up, straightening out his ANBU trench coat.
“Well, I can sit there and grapple with it. Or I can make it right. I’ve been a thinker for too long. Now I’m going to ‘do’, instead of think.”

Taro nodded, not quite sure what Ekyt’s semi-cryptic answer meant. All the same, he decided to move on. “Okay then. Just tell me- what do the white strips on your coat mean?”

Taro was referring to the lines on the inside pocket of Ekyt’s coat.

“Well, they have two meanings. The best way to think of them is a symbol of rank. Something beyond Jonin, but below Hokage or Legend. An elite, I guess. I was told to wear them somewhere on my uniform from now on. I’ve no idea why, though. I haven’t done anything outstanding.”

I beg to differ. But that’s not my place. Taro raised his eyebrows. “Well then, I won’t keep a man away from his important work. Best of luck to you, then. And congratulations.”

Ekyt smiled, inclined his head, and turned to leave. Just outside the door, Taro noted, a small girl jumped up on Ekyt’s shoulder. He made no indication that he even felt her, so Taro didn’t say anything either. With Ekyt’s senses, there was no way that girl was dangerous if he didn’t perk up when she jumped at him.

--

“I can’t let her go, Mimizu. Not like this…”

“Ya can always shack up with me!”

Ekyt rolled his eyes. “You’re sitting on my shoulder. It would be akward to…y’know…with someone who can do that…”

“Oh, is THAT your problem? No biggie (hehe!)”
Mimuzu suddenly ballooned- no, it only felt like she had. Ryouko hit the ground, face-down, with Mimizu on top of her.

“I can control my personal gravity! Isn’t it cool?! I can make myself any weight I want!”

“That’s really interesting. How about letting me up now…” Ekyt muttered around a facefull of grass.

“Sowwy mister director-person!”

(Note: Wow, I just realized how horribly similar Ekyt is to Kenpachi Zaraki of Bleach fame like this. Sorry about that; I just noticed it now!)

Outside, a large bird fluttered down to land on Ekyt’s shoulder. He raised his arm to allow it to land. Then a second came, though this one was a big, tropical bird. The notes, as it turned out, were to make Ekyt’s life a living hell. Big time.

From Azami:

We need to talk. In person. Come to the temple where Hidan and Kakuzu attacked that Miko. I’ll be waiting.
-Azami


-

The second note left Ekyt ashen. The letter shook in his hands. His breathing was rapidly becoming hyperventilating.

From Tsunade:
The Mist are demanding your body for murdering their Mizukage. Escape now. Contact every twelve hours by rotating summons. Don’t ever reveal your location.

I know you’re innocent. We’re going to prove that innocence. But for now, I don’t know where you are, and I don’t want to know.

I’m sorry about this, kid. Stay strong.
-Tsunade


Mimizu had peered over Ekyt’s shoulder. She gasped.

“But you didn’t-”

“I know…” Ekyt said. “Well then. Mimizu, please do me a favor. Tell Okayu and Yuushi what’s happened. Anyone else who needs to know will be informed by Lady Tsunade. I’m going to leave right now. I’ve got what I need in my summoning scroll.”

Mimizu looked pretty teary-eyed. But she sucked it up and hugged Ekyt.

“Be careful, okay?” she managed to say around tears and sobbing.

“I will. You, too.”

And with that, Ekyt took off at top speed.

--

Pein addressed the whole of his Akatsuki ranks. The most dangerous group in the world.

“Itachi and Azami, have you two decided on your personal method of action?”

Azami patted her stomach. “We’re going to have a baby.”

The Akatsuki rumbled with laughter. The thought of Itachi procreating; in effect helping to repopulate the very clan he himself dismembered…

“And that baby will host the tailed beasts. ALL of them,” Azami continued. “But it will take very selective breeding. DNA taken from extremely potent sources. A captured target won’t do. Too weak. But if you were to take the DNA from myself, Itachi, and a few others…”

“You breed a weapon. But it won’t matter. The child won’t be of any use for at least ten years, plus time in the womb,” Kisame protested. Others nodded their agreement with him.

“The child will be developed externally, in a surrogate environment, and will be enhanced in every way possible. I have compiled a list, in my time as a bounty hunter, as a means of keeping track of those who would benefit this organization- cooperative, or otherwise…” Azami announced, producing a list. It was long, containing twenty-one names. But the most prominent names:

Naruto Uzumaki- Hidden Leaf (Strange luck)
Sasuke Uchiha- Hidden Leaf (Heir to Sharingan/Uchiha genius)
Orochimaru- Sound (Knowledge)
Jiraiya- Hidden Leaf Associate (Summoning)
Tsunade- Hidden Leaf (Hokage designation) (Strength)
Ekyt/Ryouko Kaguya (adopted name)- Hidden Leaf (Potential)
Hiru Nigetsu- Hidden Mist (Defense capabilities)
Poe Jiyuchan- Hidden Grass (Spc. Offense)

“Each target will be collected, and then terminated. My list continues with a list of corpses that we’ve managed to recover. This includes Zabuza Momochi of the Hidden Mist’s Seven Swordsmen.”

Silence followed Azami’s announcement. There were (understandably) question marks all over this statement. But Pein gave his approval, and the plan was agreed on as a secondary tactic. With an amendment.

“That much DNA will make for an unstable creature. Pick one live target and aim for him/her.”

Azami instantly knew which target she would pick.

I DID say I wanted to have his children. Too bad this will be more like ‘rape’ for the poor boy.

-

As they were leaving the meeting, Itachi and Azami had attended physically, along with Kisame.

“It pains me to do this, Itachi. Is there no other way, Itachi?” Azami asked. “I’ve hurt that boy and his village enough. I have been as unfaithful as any woman can be, short of prostitution. I never minded before, but Ryouko…he was special. He saw me as more than a set of boobs.”

Kisame rolled his eyes. “If you can’t bring yourself to do it, I’ll just chop him up for you. You’ve got too much of a heart left to be one of us, girlie. Maybe you’re a problem yourself…”

Azami favored Kisame with a glare. “Just try to eliminate me. I’ll kill you instantly. Believe me, my life will end soon enough. Once I’ve paid my debt to the Akatsuki, I will take my life. It’s the least I can do for those I’ve hurt in the name of this damned organization.”
-

Hidden within a toad’s mouth in a nearby puddle, Jiraiya made notes. And boy, he had one hell of a report for Tsunade and the others involved…

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 1, 2009, 6:45:41 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWhy is everybody always out to get Ekyt? It's just not FAIR!

andr28a on May 21, 2009, 2:54:10 AM

andr28a on
andr28aSome wierd plan Azami has come up with

I think I might have read this wrong but is Azami already Pregnant?