Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 91 - On the Road

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 91 - On the Road

Chapter 91 - On the Road
Ekyt saw Azami waiting on the lonely dirt road that led to the temple. She looked strangely down-trodden for her normally perky personality. This was reflected in the way she spoke.

“Hello, Ekyt. It’s been a long time.”

Ekyt stared her in the eyes. “It has. I hope you’re well.”

“I am, thank you. You seem to have recovered nicely from the many surgeries the Akatsuki have forced you to have.”

Ekyt cracked his neck to the side. “I have. I’ve been put back together so many times now. It’s hard to believe I’m still alive.”

Thundered sounded in the distance. Rain drops began to fall; lightly at first, then they picked up speed. But neither one moved from their spots.

“Let’s cut to the chase, okay?” Ekyt asked, a hint of begging in his voice. “Why did you need to talk to me?”

Hope crept into Ekyt’s mind. Hope that Azami would be his again. Hope that she would run over and kiss him. Hope that they would become a couple once more. Hope that they had a future together. Hope that love brought them back together.

“I…My husband wanted to speak with you. It’s very difficult for me to say this to you, who I loved first. But it must be said-!”

Ekyt had frozen. There was no trace of emotion or life on his face. No understanding in his eyes. Not even anger.
Only defeat.

“Is he…is he a better man?” Ekyt asked quietly, his voice deadly calm.

“…No. But he’s stronger than you,” Azami said apologetically.

Ekyt turned around. “Tell me…why did you join the Akatsuki. What did they have over your head?”

Azami bowed her head, hands nervously twitching together. “They have a jutsu planted dormant inside my Father. If they activate it, he becomes a walking bomb. He’ll destroy an entire village. That’s why I have to serve them. Or, at least, that was the reason. Now, it’s for my husband.”

“And your husband?” Ekyt questioned. “Who is it?”

“…He wants to talk to you, Ekyt. In person. He says he has something to show you, and that you have to come. If you don’t, then the temple will pay for your sins.”

Ekyt stood up straighter. “Take me to him. I’ll talk to him. But please, don’t let him hurt anyone at the temple.”

Azami patted Ekyt on the shoulder, but he flinched away. She was genuinely hurt by that. “I thought we might still be friends…”

Ekyt turned his head slightly to face Azami. “Right now, you’ve got me by the balls. I loved you. I probably still do. But make no mistake- you’re no friend.”

Azami was beyond stunned. But she bowed her head and led the way to her husband.

-

Itachi was waiting at the temple, standing calmly in front of the entrance. Ekyt’s heart fell, but his blood boiled.
THIS is who replaced me?! This criminal?! Azami…I can tell. You love him. I don’t know what he promised you, but there’s no love in his heart for you.

“Ekyt, do you remember our agreement?” Itachi said by way of greeting.

“There was no ‘agreement’, Itachi! There was only you telling me that I WOULD help your brother defeat you! Don’t act like this is a favor among friends!”

Itachi didn’t seemed phased by the outburst at all. “That’s fine. You needn’t do anything special. But you see, my little brother is essential. And you are the one who has to help him reach the level he needs to be at.”

“You can’t make me,” Ekyt shot back. “Saying you’ll kill me if I don’t is a false threat. And you can’t torture me into doing something without affecting the outcome.”

Itachi reached behind him. “You’re two-thirds correct. But I CAN make you. This is why I attempted to force Sasuke to sever his ties. Because they become weakness. No matter how strong you yourself are, someone else is will be more vulnerable than you.”

Itachi held the Miko up by her wrists. She writhed and tugged defiantly, but her eyes were wide with fear. Ekyt saw this was the same shrine maiden that had helped train him in the art of chakra sealing. He had his tonfa drawn and was dashing towards Itachi before his mind even processed what he was seeing.

Azami skidded in the way, the ankh around her neck blocking him.
“That isn’t smart if you want her to stay unharmed. Please, just cooperate. I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

Ekyt glowered, but tossed down his weapon. “What, then? If I help your brother, you’ll let her go?”

Itachi pushed the miko down. “You’re a man of your word. Give me your word that you’ll help Sasuke when he faces me next, and I’ll release the girl.”

Ekyt nodded solemnly. “You have my word. But answer this- why couldn’t I just kill you right now, all by myself?”

“Do you mean besides the fact that you’re overmatched and outnumbered?” Itachi pointed out. “Because you won’t interfere in my brother’s revenge. You might help him take it, but you would never take it for yourself.”

“…Fine. But I can’t return to the village. The Mist believe I killed their leader. There’s no way to prove my innocence. So if you want me to get to your brother, you’ll have to clear my name.”

“Agreed,” Itachi said.

“One more thing, Itachi,” Ekyt called out, leaning down to untie the shrine maiden. “Just tell me this: Did you marry Azami just so I couldn’t have her? Was she just more leverage to you?”

Ekyt hadn’t spent all that time suffering under Ibikki Morino for nothing. He had just planted a crucial seed of doubt in the head of Azami, while forcing Itachi to stay on his guard. It wasn’t the ideal situation, but that tiny vindictive swipe made Ekyt feel MUCH better.
--

The Miko was on all fours when she saw a hand reach down for her. Knowing who it belonged to, she took it gratefully.

“Come on, let’s get your inside,” Ekyt told her, helping her into the temple.

“Why are you here?” she asked, recovering her strength little by little. The various maidens and monks came running to assist Ekyt in bringing her in.

Ekyt explained the whole situation, even the being framed for murder part.

“I should get going before those horrors come back. Sorry to have endangered you,” Ekyt announced, apologetically.

“Why?” called one priest. “Why leave? They attacked before you came, and they’ll only attack once you leave!”

“That’s right!” a shrine maiden added. “You should stay here!”

Ekyt tried to beg off, even though he liked the idea. “I shouldn’t. That’s taking advantage of your hospitality, and I”

The miko he had helped (and kissed, at one point), tugged on his arm. “You’re the only one among us who knows what those villains are after. And you’re the only one who can fight them. Not to mention that you have people who can come help.”

“If you’re on the run, what better place to hide out for a while than a temple?” called another monk.

“Give him the storage shed in the back,” suggest the miko’s mother. “A shinobi needs to train, free from prying eyes. Get him a monk’s robe as well, should he need to blend in.”

Ekyt knew there was no point in arguing. And this arrangement DID make sense, after all.
It’s going to be a long wait. At least six monthes away from my home. After that, I’ll go home, whether or not my name is clear. And when I return, I’ll be a better man. A stronger man. A man who could hold the village’s weight on his shoulders.
And when I return, I will become what the Leaf Village needs. Be that a hero, or someone behind the scenes.

And after that, I’ll face you again, Azami. You’re married now, and I wish you the best. But right now you’re like a caged bird. I’m going to open the cage door for you. Whether you fly out or not is up to you.


--

“We should have just taken his DNA. It’s not like you to be this inefficient, Azami…” Itachi intoned, his voice trailing at the end, prodding for an answer.

“I will kill him in time, Itachi. But…But not yet. When I face him again, the ideal scenario would culminate in both of us dying. I need to let him get strong enough to face me at full strength. Then I’ll push him to use his Reaper Death Seal. If I must take his life, then my penance will be my life…” Azami said stiffly, clearly dreading that horrible moment when she would take two lives. “But I thank you, Itachi, for marrying me. I don’t know how true your love is for me, but rest assured- my heart is yours now.”

--

Once by himself in his shed, Ekyt finally fell to his knees. He was a defeated man. Mentally, physically- he had nothing left. Seeing Azami with Itachi, of all people…

Is this love? Why did I play that game? Why did I desire a girl of my own? I’ve faced nothing but heartbreak with her.
And yet, I love her.
But I have to let her go. She has no choice but to serve them. At least, no choice until I create a choice for her. I’ll stop the Akatsuki. I’ve already promised to do it for Naruto and Sakura-Ojousama. This is just one more person to do it for.


Ekyt started to stand up, but fell back down. He was so drained. He had never felt so weak!

I can’t get up again. I can’t do it. This is it. I can’t face the world anymore. I’ve failed. No amount of determination will save me. I don’t have the village behind me, I’m on the run from the law for a crime I didn’t commit, and any girl I’ve ever liked has somehow not worked out. I just…I just can’t take it anymore! We all have limits! I’ve thrown myself into my work, even just to escape as much as to accomplish my goals. But I’ll never be happy. I’m not allowed to be happy.
WHY?!


The Miko came in, carrying a tray of food. She gasped, and the tray clattered to the floor.

“Are you alright?!” she half-yelled, bending down to help Ekyt up. When she saw his face, hollow and devoid of emotion, she could understand.
It as a mental blow. All this is too much for him. He needs an escape...! I know! He has to leave here someday, but maybe he can make an impression…

Propping herself under his shoulder, the Miko hefted. Thankfully, Ekyt didn’t weigh much, and he was steady on his feet once he reached them. Well, mostly.

“How about teaching us, Ekyt? You can’t protect us forever, but maybe you can teach us to protect ourselves.”

Ekyt was shaking now, but his mind was starting to clear. I owe it to them to teach them. And while I teach them, I’ll also teach myself. I need more strength to get past this. I can’t let Azami go- not like that. And I gave my word to Itachi.
I need to fix this. Things can’t stay this way. I’ll make things work. I’ll spend six months here. Then I’ll move on.


“You’re right,” Ekyt finally said. “I’ll teach. It’s my fault you’re in danger. So I’ve got to correct the problem, and thank you for your hospitality.”

The Miko gave a small smile. “I knew you had it in you. To keep fighting the good fight, I mean.”

Ekyt shrugged. “I suppose you’re right. I’m not sure of what your religious beliefs and what they dictate, but I believe we all make our own fate.”

The Miko started to reply, but found Ekyt pulling her into his chest. She returned his embrace as he bent down to whisper in her ear.

“I want you to make me a promise, shrine maiden. I want you to promise me that, if any trouble arises, you’ll get whoever you can and run to the Leaf Village. A temple can be rebuilt- a life, once lost, cannot.”

The Miko gave a little smile. “You got it. So, if you need anything…”

Ekyt nodded his thanks. “I appreciate it.”

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 3, 2009, 6:46:29 AM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND*sniffles* That's sad, but cute. Poor Ekyt, having to put up with so much heartbreak.

andr28a on June 1, 2009, 9:01:44 PM

andr28a on
andr28aI get the feeling the end of this story is drawing near.....erm is it
Nice chapter

nextguardian on June 2, 2009, 2:05:02 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianlol, I can't give that away. But things DO get more interesting from here. That much I can promise :)