Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 96 - Dream World

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 96 - Dream World

Chapter 96 - Dream World
Chapter 96

Ekyt revised his plan a little bit. Faking death was too extreme, and it would have likely landed Itachi in hot water, since he was the most likely suspect. Instead, Ekyt laid out his plan carefully to a select group. All those involved with Itachi one way or another heard the plan, hidden deep within the library’s confines.

As Ekyt spoke, he could practically feel the kunai that would no doubt be in him for suggesting that they cooperate with an apparent traitor. Having spoken to Lady Tsunade alone first to lay out the truth of Itachi’s betrayal, he knew that she at least would consider what he had to say before killing him.

“This…thing, for want of a better word, is too much for even the Akatsuki to control. Itachi is willing to help us destroy it. We know what he can do. I promise all of you- if he does anything to hurt the village, I will kill him. There’s one jutsu even he can’t survive. As the Third Hokage’s apprentice, I know it, and I will use it.”

Ekyt stopped talking to let all that sink in. Just then a bird appeared with a ‘pop’ on his shoulder. It was one of Azami’s tropical birds. Ekyt eagerly tore open the envelope. He suddenly let out an audible growl and a nasty curse word.

“Esteemed council, we have no choice now. This letter is from Itachi and Azami. And apparently, Orochimaru stole their ‘ultimate body’. I don’t need to tell you that this means we are in grave danger as a village.”

There was chatter for a while, but eventually someone called out a valid question:

“How are you going to get Itachi in here? Our village wants to kill him!”

Ekyt smiled, a little sadly. “Well, there’s one way, and I’m going to do it. Those of you who know about this; control who you can and stop them from attacking him. In the meantime, I’ll make sure that he’ll have a way to get in safely.”

--

Itachi and Azami waited outside the gates, patiently awaiting Ekyt’s instructions. Izumo and Kotetsu were right there, and clearly scared, but they respected Ekyt enough to trust him. Gradually, Izumo got up the courage to lean over and say to the two Akatsuki members ‘Welcome back’.

Itachi nodded his head, while Azami gave him a quiet ‘thank you’.

Ekyt wheeled up, the entire town in tow behind him. They all gasped and reached for weapons upon seeing their guests, but Ekyt paid that no mind. He continued to wheel over to Azami and Itachi. He spun his chair around to face the village once he reached them.

“Listen to me, all of you!” he said loudly, without yelling. “Our village is in grave danger, and these two could very well save us. Last night, Orochimaru took an ‘ultimate body’ that the Akatsuki created. It has the Sharingan of Itachi Uchiha, the cunning of Azami Masamitsu…and the ability to adapt and learn of myself.”

Ekyt continued to explain what was happening. He saw Jiraiya in the crowd, watching over Naruto. He saw Sasuke tensing up, though he had been told of the true Uchiha clan history. It was hard to let go of a lifetime of hatred in a few short hours.

At the end of his speech, Ekyt pushed his wheelchair away. He sank to his knees, bowed down, and lowered his head.
“I ask forgiveness of this village for keeping this dark secret. But our darkest hour approaches, and we have little choice but to make friends with those we’ve called ‘enemy’ for years. I ask that all of you reserve your anger and hatred for me. I will gladly accept any punishment- including execution- at the close of the coming battle. Anything you would bestow on Itachi, give to me instead. And welcome back one of the Leaf’s most revered clans.”

Itachi and Azami exchanged glances, but each in turn sunk to one knee and asked for forgiveness from the village.

“CHIDORI!”

Sasuke had leapt from somewhere high, aiming his most powerful attack at- Ekyt? Ekyt stood still, apparently ready to accept it.

Itachi’s hand flashed up and grabbed Sasuke’s arm. His other hand reached out, aiming for Sasuke’s face. Sasuke winced-

Tap.

Itachi tapped Sasuke in the forehead, just as he had done when they were younger.

“Not now, Sasuke.”

Sasuke just stood there. Ekyt had already known this would happen, so he kept quiet. This was a moment for the remaining Uchihas, not to be interfered with unless necessary. The village hadn’t reacted badly, so that was a victory.

I knew it, though. Sasuke’s whole life has been hatred and hunting for the one person stronger than him whose approval he’s needed. Now that Itachi is ‘good’, there’s a giant void. And he’ll need a new ‘villain’ to fill that void. As a thanks to you, Itachi, I’ll fill that void if I need to.

This was harder on Ekyt emotionally than he expected. He had more or less turned himself into a villain for the good of the village, and he wasn’t liking it very much. But there was no turning back. He had to see this through.

Garbage and knives soon flew through the air at Ekyt. He didn’t attempt to move, save for blocking an occasional knife. Then he found a familiar someone in front of him.

“STOP IT!” Naruto shouted. “WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH YOU?! LOOK AT HIM! HE’S CRIPPLED HIMSELF TO MAKE HIMSELF USEFUL TO THE VILLAGE! HOW CAN YOU TREAT HIM LIKE THAT?! I’LL TELL YOU WHY- ‘CAUSE NONE OF YOU WOULD HAVE THE GUTS TO DO THE SAME THING!”

The village muttered amongst itself- it seemed Naruto had a point. But Naruto wasn’t done.

“HE GOT ON HIS KNEES AND BEGGED YOU FOR FORGIVENESS! HOW MANY TIMES HAS HE HELPED YOU?! ANY ONE OF YOU! AND WHAT DID HE ASK FOR? NOTHING! NOTHING BUT YOUR ACCEPTANCE!”

Naruto was a pretty emotional fellow, and he was actually crying a little. Whether it was for Ekyt’s sake, or whether he was remembering his own struggles, no one could be sure.

“…the world can’t be that cruel…” he whispered. He turned to face Ekyt. “It can’t be that cruel. It can’t be!”

Ekyt patted Naruto’s back. “It can, Naruto. You know that as well as anyone. But there’s plenty of good in them. They’re just acting out. If they were really angry, they would have killed me. I’ll never forget who it was that stood up to them. Thank you, Naruto.”

The Nine-tailed fox reacted to Naruto’s emotions at times. The pain of Sasuke’s ‘death’ at Haku’s hands being the first example, with many others following. The Nine Tails had to keep it’s host body healthy, mentally and physically, or it risked death. With that in mind, it’s chakra began to seek out Ekyt’s hand. When it found it, a small measure leaked into Ekyt.

Ekyt suddenly felt a fire in his tenketsu. But it wasn’t a bad feeling. And when the fire reached his waist, the warmth spread to his legs. They had completely healed. Little by little the feeling had returned to them, but now they were completely better.

The nine-tail’s chakra? Is that what did this? …Naruto, I owe you. And I’ll see that prophecy through- I’ll take care of you and Sakura, and Sasuke until you’ve reached legendary status. Thank you, Naruto.

Naruto sniffled a little, then broke into one of his trademark grins. “You know what? You sound like the old man. The Third Hokage.”

“That’s some high praise, Naruto. Thank you.”

“Hehe! Who do I remind you of?” Naruto wanted to know. Ekyt wasn’t really thinking about that, but he said:

“Hmm. You’re a mix of the Fourth Hokage and Master Jiraiya, I think. You look the Fourth, but your combat style reminds me of Master Jiraiya.”

That said, Ekyt stood up, walking straight toward the town. He held out his arms.
“Punish me, then. But give Itachi and Azami a chance to help defend us. Put aside this grudge, or our village will suffer. This is Orochimaru! O-ro-chi-ma-ru! You saw what he did to us last time! The people that died! Our leader was among them! And he sacrificed himself so that our village would live on. I don’t believe that anyone in the village would be selfish enough to withhold forgiveness to someone who wanted to protect peace above all else!”

Sasuke stood directly opposite Ekyt.

“If we have Itachi, we sure as hell don’t need you. Preaching this ‘peace’ crap. Who are you kidding? Any one of us could handle Orochimaru. You wouldn’t have the guts to kill him if it came to it.”

Ekyt just shook his head. Remember, you asked for this. You made yourself the villain. You have to stay strong. Now, say it. Finish it.

“It’s funny that you say that. Someone who hasn’t cared about the village at all, until just now. I never expected credit or recognition- I only wanted acceptance. But if the elite Sasuke Uchiha won’t give me acceptance, how can I expect anyone else to? Maybe we need to spar this out. If I lose, I’ll leave the village.”

“Are you two outta your minds?! Don’t do that now!” Naruto protested, soon joined by the others.

“Ekyt, you aren’t well enough for this! Please, don’t do it!” Sakura pleaded. I don’t care how good Ekyt’s gotten! This is Sasuke!

Ekyt rethought what he said. “That’s fine. We won't do it now, anyway. Sasuke, after this battle, then I’ll spar you. Let’s not risk either of us getting hurt over something as stupid as this at such an important time. Now’s not the time for personal grudges.”

Sasuke had other ideas. “If you want to back away, that’s fine. But if you do, you lose by forfeit.”

Ekyt couldn’t help himself- “Fine. We’ll do this, Sasuke. Just as long as you know it’s selfish of you to put your own needs above those of your village. Er, Just one thing…”

“What?!” Sasuke snarled, ready to get this over with. I can’t forgive him! He made my brother into a hero! I have to kill him!

“When was the last time you saw me fight?” Ekyt asked. There was no hostility in his voice at all. Just an honest question.

“…When you fought the Akatsuki at the couple’s tournament. Why?”

Ekyt lowered his mask. He wasn’t smiling, but he was smirking, almost nastily. “That’s good. Because since then, I’ve got a LOT better. So go ahead, and make my day. If you’re so hell-bent on making me your enemy- Go for it!”

Ekyt’s voice echoed like a gunshot. The town had heard Sasuke, too, and new Ekyt was just answering. But somehow, him saying that it was okay for them to make him an enemy- somehow it suddenly seemed as if it really was okay.

“But not here,” Ekyt told him. “Not where someone might get hurt, or the village might get damaged. No, we need a fitting location. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Shikamaru was walking by at that moment. Hana Inuzuka was with him. It was funny to think they got along so well. Ever since the couple’s tournament.

“I’ll help keep the crowd in check. If you guys think you’ll be able to fight somewhere without an audience- forget it,” Shikamaru chimed in.

Ino had been watching from the sidelines. She kept thinking ‘Sasuke’s my man; what have I done for him?’.
I’ve got to do something!

With a rush of courage, Ino rushed Ekyt from behind. She held a kunai to his back.

“I can’t have you hurt Sasuke!”

After a tense moment, Ekyt spun around and slapped the kunai from her hand before she had a chance to move. Ino recoiled, thinking he was going to hit her. But Ekyt didn’t- a girl defending her man was admirable, and shouldn’t be punished.

“This is why I didn’t want to do this. We need our village to come together, not be torn apart. Friend or foe doesn’t matter in this situation! Hate each other after! But don’t let the village die just because you’re too embroiled in some disagreement to fight anyone but each other. We’ve had peace because we’ve always done this. Now is not the time to fall apart.”

“Enough preaching from you! I’ve heard enough!” Sasuke yelled, freeing himself from Itachi’s grip. He rushed Ekyt, but found Shikamaru’s Shadow Possession stopping him. With that pause, Azami and Itachi went over to Ekyt. Naruto and Lee joined the group, too.

Ekyt didn’t meet Azami’s eyes at any point.

“I can work with you,” he told her. “And all is forgiven. Give me time to warm up to you again.”

“I know,” Azami replied. “And thank you. I know how hard it was for you to do this for me…”

Ekyt gave a lopsided smile. “I don’t think you do, and I wouldn’t expect you to. It’s fine, okay? I’m just glad you didn’t ask if ‘we could still be friends’.”

It was only a small joke, but it lightened the mood considerably. Until Itachi told Ekyt a hard to swallow truth.

“Ekyt, don’t fight Sasuke. You can’t win.”

That floored Ekyt. It truly did. And it showed. Immediately, Naruto and Lee started to chime in with compliments, but Ekyt held a held up to ward them off.

“He’s right, and I know it. My job was to get you in here, make myself look like the bad guy until Orochimaru came, and then return my life to normal. But ‘normal’ isn’t good enough. It’s what I’ve wanted for a long time. A girl, maybe kids, and then…I don’t know. To get old like the Third Hokage.
But I know it won’t work that way. I’ve never been trained, and I don’t know what to do with myself after this battle. But I doubt I can stay here. The village might not welcome me back.”

“Then why?!” Naruto demanded. “Why take that risk?! You love it here! Why ruin it?!”

Ekyt didn’t have to think hard about how to phrase his answer so Naruto understood.

“Naruto, you’ve wanted to be Hokage your whole life. If being Hokage meant the village being destroyed, would you still want to be Hokage?”

“No, of course not!” Naruto answered with vigor. To him, that was an incredibly stupid question.

“Then look at it that way. I love the village. But if I didn’t do this, there might not be a village left to love. We all do our parts in a war, and this is mine. Well, part of my part. The other part is still in question. Can you understand that?”

Naruto had his eye mostly closed in concentration. One hand under his chin, he muttered “Well, I guess so.”

Ekyt clapped him on the shoulder, then left to prepare himself for the worst. He would have a couple more nights in his own bed. Maybe.

He was asleep as soon as he hit the pillow. And he dreamed. But unlike before, where his personal world had all but ended (see issues 44-45), this dream was different. Very different; in both good and bad ways.
--
--
Dream world


Ryouko seemed to fall into his body. He was crouched on impact, and immediately noticed he was dressed differently. He was wearing all black. Even black gloves with the fingers. But no mask. That was odd.

“Go on, explore.”
A voice in Ryouko’s head told him in a rich, booming voice. Instinctively, Ryouko listened, walking around the village. Something about the voice was familiar and unthreatening. It should have scared him, but it didn’t at all.

The sun was shining. There were sounds of training, sounds of talking- everyday life sounds. A happy village, moving through time peacefully and prosperously. Not even a dark cloud in the sky.

“This is the Leaf Village as you know it now. The people are in harmony, aren’t they? It’s calm and peaceful.

“It is,” Ryouko agreed. “The village is beautiful. It feels like home.”

“It does. Will it disturb you if I walk beside you once more?”

“No, not at all,” Ryouko said, even smiling a little. NOW he knew the voice.

The Third Hokage was next to him, just as Ryouko remembered him. Dressed in his Hokage robes, a pipe clenched in his teeth, the pensive look on his face.

“Ryouko, this is the village as it is today. Many have, no doubt, denounced your warning as myth. Itachi and Azami were welcomed in by Tsunade. The rebirth of the Uchiha clan is at hand. Tell me, how long have you know the truth?”

“For a few months. Since I read a book authored by Madara Uchiha. It was clearly not supposed to be in that library. But I had to read it, for some reason. It felt…like I had to. Like there was no choice…”

Ryouko and the Third Hokage walked for a while, occasionally stopping to look at something, or to rest. Ryouko’s legs were still weak from the muscles atrophying while he was in the wheelchair. Eventually, they reached the top of the First Hokage’s head, overlooking the village.

“Ryouko, do you have doubts about what you’ve chosen to do? You know your plan well by now. Does it make you want to do things differently?”

Ryouko shook his head. “No. I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but I cant think of an alternative. Besides, look at this place! It’s so happy and peaceful! I love the village so much. I want it to stay like this.”

Sarutobi took his pipe out of his mouth. “You’re going to see two futures of the villages. One in which you are successful; one in which you are not. This doesn’t mean there aren’t more futures; fate doesn’t apply to one’s actions. But this is what can happen. I’ll be leaving you for now. I’ve missed you, my student.”

“And I you, sensei,” Ryouko replied, a tear leaking from his eye. “If it’s in the cards, I’ll keep watching over the village, as you no doubt have.”
It figures he could do this. After all, using that crystal ball like he used to. If only he had been in his prime when he fought Orochimaru…

With that, the dream truly began.

--
--
--

Ryouko’s first view was of a safe village. The many trees around the village had grown taller, with thick green leaves. The air was clean and fresh. The streets were mostly unmarred by litter. As close to paradise as you could find on earth.

It appeared to be at least ten years in the future. His feet seemingly ‘programmed’, Ryouko walked to his first destination.

Uchiha Dojo

The Uchiha dojo. Ryouko opened the gate. What greeted his eyes was a cute little girl with Sharingan eyes and long, jet-black hair; playing with a toy kunai. She was incredibly cute, and clearly was one of Azami’s offspring. The eyes must have come from…

“Itachi…so they DO have children. Real ones. The beginning of the new Uchiha clan! Wow…”

A little blond boy, also with Sharingan, came tearing around the corner, throwing shuriken at targets scattered all over the place. The blond hair could only have come from Ino. The eyes were from Sasuke. As was the stellar aim with shuriken.

“How can he stand her?” Ryouko wondered. “Well, love IS blind, I suppose. But in Ino’s case, love should be deaf instead. Save poor Sasuke’s sanity that way…”

Ryouko gradually noticed the dojo had been repainted, cleaned, and upgraded. There were lots of chunin and jonin going in and out, so Ryouko guessed that it was also the police station again, or at least a place of some importance.

“A success…That’s good. Where else…The Hokage’s office!”

-\

Hokage’s Office

The Hokage’s office was messy, by contrast. Clearly Shizune wasn’t keeping Tsunade in line. Or…

“Or we have a new Hokage! Is it…Naruto?”

A slightly frazzled Sakura strode in, carrying a stack of papers and scrolls. They were balanced precariously, and she nearly dropped them several times.

“Lord Hokage!” she called out. Ryouko followed her gaze. He saw a man in a white trench coat looking out the window. Painted flames decorated the bottom of the coat. Yellow hair stuck up in all directions on the Hokage’s head.

Ryouko’s first thought was ‘The Fourth Hokage?!’, but he knew better. He was looking at Naruto.

“Yes, Sakura? Oh, right…sorry. I was just…” Naruto mumbled, looking at something in the distance.

Sakura rubbed his arm comfortingly, laying her head on his shoulder. “It’s okay. It’s been ten years today, hasn’t it?”

Naruto nodded, still staring at the same spot. “It should have been me, Sakura. But he thought on a different level.”

“Well, that was typical of him,” Sakura said, giggling a little. “But it was that thinking that saved us. Even if it did ruin him. But you remember what he said…”

“Every damn day,” Naruto commented. “He told me ‘Naruto, whatever else happens, protect what we’ve done here today. Never let it be forgotten that, no matter how great, any one shinobi or village may be toppled if we lose our vigilance. But even worse would be to lose ourselves, and our humanity.’”

Sakura sighed, remembering the words as well. “Shall we go pay our respects?”

Naruto nodded. He put on his Hokage hat and walked out of the room. Sakura stayed put for a moment longer, thinking of something now that she had some solitude. But then she quickened her pace to catch up with Naruto.

Ryouko saw where he had been staring, and he decided to take the rooftop express to get there.
--

Battleground
There was a spot in the village where it was clear- there had been a battle here. A spot where the blood wouldn’t quite come off the streets. You could just tell there had been something big here.

“Now class, do you all know about the battle from ten years ago? Oh, Lord Hokage!”

Iruka was teaching. Anko was by his side, and there were lots of eager young students at their feet. They all turned to greet their leader.

To think I’m calling that little brat from the academy ‘Lord Hokage’…Naruto, you’ve done well. I can’t believe I can say ‘I trained the Sixth Hokage’!
Iruka’s chest swelled with pride at the thought. He had helped in forming a future Hokage! It was such an awesome thing to think of! It made all his hard work matter more.

“Please, continue. It’s just…that day,” Naruto commented, looking at a spot on the ground. It looked like any other spot, except to those who really knew what had happened.

“Alright then. So, on this spot, Orochimaru was defeated and killed using a forbidden technique. A shinobi from our village, one who had never killed before, used a forbidden sealing jutsu to save all of us. His actions before the battle include assisting in restoring the Uchiha clan, and also being a post-humus legend,” Iruka told the class with a practiced ease. “As the last student of the Third Hokage, he was taught this jutsu in preparation for a future war.”

Ryouko’s heart had begun to beat impossibly fast. His mouth had run dry. He had finally noticed a plaque with his name on it. When he read it, he got chills.

“I…did it? I beat Orochimaru?! And I…I sealed his soul. I died like the Third Hokage.”

“Exactly,” said the Third, beside him again. “I debated my decision to show you that jutsu many times. In the end, when you performed it and saved the village…well, I was proud. But I also wish you would have survived somehow.”

“Did I die gracefully?” Ryouko asked. Look at this…peaceful, and everyone gets their wish. But I have to die for that to happen?

“You did…mostly,” the Third told him, deep in thought. “You were clearly afraid to die at that moment when you felt the shinigami’s hand. Or, rather, you had too many regrets to let yourself go. So as you were dying, you used a kunai knife to leave a message. In your own arm, you carved ‘take his eyes’.”

Ryouko thought he knew what that meant, so he didn’t comment right away. Instead, he tried to forget his doubts.

If I do this, we win! I die, but who cares? Look at all the lives I save, or make better! And people remember me. I guess that isn’t so bad.

“Have you no questions?”

Ryouko kind of woke up when the Third Hokage prodded him. “Why was I so afraid of dying? Look at all the good it accomplishes! Surely the ‘dead’ me had this dream, too, and knew that it was the best course of action.”

“Do you believe that, or are you letting your eyes tell the story?” Sarutobi questioned. He had that way of making you think of even the most sure thing. Something about his voice, maybe?

“It’s pretty obvious. Why, was there another way? If Orochimaru had the Sharingan, he could copy all my jutsus.”

Sarutobi gave Ryouko a warm, knowing smile. “That is the answer. But you must realize WHY it is the answer for yourself.”

Ryouko hated riddles like that, but it couldn’t be help. He also wondered why he kept referring to himself as ‘Ryouko’ in his thoughts. He had buried that name, along with his love for Azami. But it must have meant something, considering how he kept thinking about it.

“To the next future, then,” the Third announced, holding his crystal ball out. “I warn you, Ryouko, this one is more…disturbing. It will be hard for you to swallow…Are you ready?”

Ryouko nodded, and the Third Hokage sent them to the next dream.
--
\|

Ryouko landed hard, noticing that his attire hadn’t changed. But this future…It was dark. And evil. The trees were dead; the houses were burned; only piles of bricks and mortar remained of the stone buildings. Potholes marked every road. The sky was gray with black clouds. This didn’t seem right. How could things have gotten like this?

“I’ve got find myself! Did I die?!” he wondered aloud, running toward the thick of a commotion in the center of the village. What he saw made him sick to his stomach.

He saw himself, being forced to kneel, arms tied behind his back. Standing above him was Sasuke. Sasuke’s sword was drawn, and aimed at Ryouko’s neck.

“You should have used your stupid seal! You idiot! You almost damned our village! My brother is dead! His wife is dead! Tsunade is dead! Everyone is DEAD! We won the war, but at what cost? When all it would have taken was one life! Well, I’m going to at least see that your life is ended for your cowardice! You don’t deserve to live anymore, you disgraced peasant!”

“Captain!” Mimizu shouted. She threw her sword, slicing him free. Ryouko took off at a run just as Mimizu was pierced by a brutal Chidori. Her body fell next to another one who had protested Ryouko’s execution- Asuna’s.

The miko’s beautiful face had been left unmarred, save for blood dripping down it. Her white top had been stained red with the blood from a stab through her chest. Her eyes held a look of shock.

Ryouko looked around desperately- wasn’t anyone going to do something?!

No one moved. Cursing, Ryouko took off after himself. It seemed like he was in a time warp as he ran, because he saw himself age and change.

The bags under his eyes grew darker, and he wore an Akatsuki robe now. Always on the run from those who would chase him, he never got to rest. His body never healed, and even less his mind. But all that was left was to keep running. There was no way to go back in time to undo that mistake. Things had happened this way, and now his life was ruined. Death would have been better.

“It…happened? I knew I would make myself out to be the villain, to help Sasuke! But I…”

Ryouko was at a loss for words. He didn’t want to die; so many regrets! But he couldn’t live if this was the outcome!

Sarutobi had reappeared. “It’s troubling, but you had to see it. Ryouko, before you perform the Reaper Death Seal, think of those who you’ll hurt by leaving behind. You saw how sad they were even after they had ten years to cope. Can you imagine the day it happened? And as I recall, you’ve a promise to keep, do you not?”

Ryouko understood. “I do. And I’ll do my best to see it through. But I don’t know how else to defeat Orochimaru in this ‘ultimate body’. There must be something I’m missing!”

Sarutobi clearly wanted to say more, and actually just tell Ryouko the answer, but couldn’t. Instead, he said “Or maybe the answer is looking you right in the eye.”

--

When Ekyt woke up, he felt terrible. His life was the thing that would destroy the village. How could he make that impossible choice?

I will because I have to. I’m going to enjoy today, though.

First up was Ichiraku ramen. Ekyt ordered miso pork ramen, and actually ate it slowly to savor it. It was as good as Naruto claimed. Maybe even better.

Setting the empty bowl aside, Ekyt just sat for a moment, enjoying himself. He soon found another bowl in front of him. Ryouko wasn’t someone who made a big deal out of food. If it tasted decent, he would eat it. Unless he was on a diet, in which case his diet was significantly smaller and more select.

“Go on, eat up.”

Ayame, Teuchi the ramen maker’s daughter, had supplied Ekyt with the new bowl. He thanked her, and asked what the occasion was.

“Well, I can tell when someone’s down on themselves. I see you walk by so often, and you always seem so sad,” Ayame explained, smiling kindly. “You know, if you stopped in more often, you could always talk to me. I’m just a ramen maker’s daughter, but you never know where you might find the support you need, when you need it.”

Ekyt would have clammed up normally. But he was trying new things today, so why not try talking to Ayame? She was a nice girl, and pretty. It seemed she also had a heart of gold.

“I…I’m the one who brought Itachi Uchiha back. The village hates me for it, and on top of all that I might have to do something where’ll I’ll…have to leave the village.” (Ekyt almost said ‘I might have to die’, but that sounded too dramatic and invited an easily predictable response.
He went on to explain why he had done it, and that he knew about the consequences.

Ayame leaned on the counter and gave Ekyt a smile. “Someday they’ll understand that you did it for their sake. And besides, not everyone in the village hates you. You’re too nice a guy, Ekyt- they’ll come around. So, hang in there, okay?”

Ayame had a nice smile, and was kind to just about everyone. Ekyt could suddenly appreciate a gesture like this a lot more. It was a small thing, but it meant a lot.
--

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on September 10, 2009, 1:09:14 AM

andr28a on
andr28aHas Ekyt become a jedi or something, he can sense things that can happen in the future