Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Surprise Visit

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 8 - Surprise Visit

Chapter 8 - Surprise Visit
Poof!
“Huh? Another clone?” Orochimaru looked around wildly, controlling his urge to start hacking everything in the room to bits. Slowly, his snake-like eyes spotted Ekyt. THIS Ekyt was nursing a hurt right arm. That meant that Orochimaru HAD hit the real Ekyt at some point, and the clone jutsu had been a distraction to buy time. A good move that spared his life…but his chakra took quite the hit…And I doubt his ability to heal his arm…then again, if he’s trained with Tsunade’s pupil, I should expect-
“Chakra Scalpel,” Ekyt muttered, using his good left hand to heal his hurt right arm. He just finished that when Orochimaru’s tongue snared him around the waist and pulled him in, arms trapped at his sides. Ekyt cursed; this was bad. VERY bad. He had to scrap his counter-attack plans and focus on keeping himself alive.
:25
Ekyt was headed for a showdown with the Kusanagi that he wasn’t going to win. His arms were pinned at his sides. In this position, he couldn’t use any jutsu, or even access his Emotional Chakra. He COULD, however, make things a little more difficult. Ekyt dug his heels into the ground, slowing his speed toward the razor-sharp blade Orochimaru was wielding.
:19
Ekyt reached down in his kunai pouch, his hand hadn’t been far from it when he had gotten snared. He grabbed a kunai with two fingers and flipped it up into his mouth. He drove the point into Orochimaru’s tongue, again and again. Orochimaru laughed.
“You can’t hurt my tongue! It’s stronger than steel! But I’ll give you credit for trying!” Orochimaru crowed. He would give the boy credit for being resourceful. Some would have given up in a hopeless spot like this.
Ekyt smiled at him. “Who says I’m aiming for your tongue? Remote Detonation Jutsu!”
BLAM!
An exploding tag went off near Orochimaru’s feet. When Ekyt had reached for his kunai, he had hidden a wadded-up exploding tag in his other fist, then thrown it when he guessed he was close enough to do damage. He had guessed correctly. The trouble was, he had been too close, and had taken some damage. Minimal, but still, against Orochimaru, minimal damage might mean the difference between life and death.
:09
The exploding tag had stunned Orochimaru, giving Ekyt a second’s time to get his arms free. He used a jutsu all too familiar to Orochimaru. It can’t be! How can he know THAT jutsu…Anko Mitarashi…she must have told him how to use the-
“Striking Shadow Snakes!” Four snakes came from Ekyt’s right wrist, hissing angrily as they homed in on their target. They wrapped themselves around the Kusanagi, and gave a sharp tug. The sword came free from Orochimaru’s mouth and clattered to the ground. Ekyt let himself get pulled in while Orochimaru was still dazed, using one last attack, but lacing it with chakra.
“Dynamic Entry!” A flying sidekick! In a twist, Ekyt had used Orochimaru’s momentum against him, and now sent him sailing, crashing through the office.
:00
The match was over. Ekyt had survived. He stood upright, trying to contain his fatigue. I can’t drop my guard just yet. Orochimaru is probably going to be beyond pissed that I met his challenge. And I’m outnumbered here to begin with…


Hayate, Sakura, Lee, and Naruto watched Otogakure, looking for some sign of Ekyt. They didn’t see any, and Naruto was getting antsy.
“C’mon, let’s just storm them! I’ll just use the 9-tails chakra, and we’ll be fine!” Naruto declared.
Sakura gave him a rap on the head. “Be quiet! We can’t rampage in there! Chakra or not, we’re outnumbered, big time! I wanted to get him back just as much as you do, but we’ve got to use our heads!”
“She’s (koff) right. Let’s keep watching, for now.” Hayate crouched lower in the thick underbrush, hoping to get a glimpse of something useful. He got an eyeful. Hayate made mental notes about the layout of certain structures, the number of people he saw, their probable ranks and abilities. Seemed everyone here was a warrior. Not that he was surprised. Orochimaru’s Village existed only as a military nation, he had no need or want for civilians, except for experiment. Hayate shivered at the thought. He had once worked with a jonin who had been one of Orochimaru’s experiments. The only one to survive them. He got some great powers out of the deal…but five seconds with Orochimaru is enough to last a life time.
Lee chanced a glance at Sakura. She had tears brimming in her eyes, but brushed them aside. Lee slowly looked away. Sakura-san has been like this for a while…I have Linda, or I would be comforting her…Her tears are caused by a void that isn’t filled in her life…
“And what are you four doing here?!”



Orochimaru picked himself up. Ekyt expected him to be angry. But Orochimaru was sporting a smile. He seemed genuinely happy that he had lost. It hit Ekyt that Orochimaru just wanted to gauge his abilities. Unconsciously, Ekyt hadn’t showed his strength, which was good, because if he played his ace too soon, Orochimaru could home in on it and rip him apart.
“Very well, you won our little game. THIS time. NEXT time, I won’t hold back. But, for winning, you can name your prize.”
Ekyt smirked under his mask. “I want the Kusanagi.”
Orochimaru’s smile widened. “You want- my sword? Not entirely unexpected, Samurai. I’ll make you a deal- I’ll give you the sword AND the rank of Chunin- if you defeat him…you know him very well. Your former student, Chakaro. He’s been waiting for you, Ekyt, and he wants to fight you. He’s gotten quite powerful- maybe too powerful for you. But, if you want my sword…”
Ekyt didn’t want the sword so much as he wanted Orochimaru to have one less weapon than he had now. Kusanagi had undoubtedly killed a lot of people. If Orochimaru didn’t have it, those souls could rest easy, and maybe, just maybe, a few lives might be saved.
“Alright. This is a match I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time myself…”


Hayate and the others turned around to see a Sound Village jonin looking at them. Hayate considered his options. We’re on his home turf, we can’t attack, not yet. He could get help too easily…besides, this might be a chance to get to Ekyt..
“(koff) We want to join up with the Sound Village. (koff).”
Sakura and the others picked up on his cue. “Yeah! Orochimaru is so powerful! We want to be on the winning side!”
“That is right! My taijutsu is at his command!” Lee declared, jumping up and saluting.
Naruto grumbled; he REALLY didn’t want to do this. But the thought of Ekyt with Orochimaru…and Sasuke…he was suddenly motivated to play the role fate had given him.


Kakashi was reading his book when it hit him. Ekyt dropped something…I wonder… Kakashi opened it, finding it to be a scroll. There were only a few words, and Ekyt had coded them, so only people he WANTED to understand could:

“I’m bringing him home, if I can”
So, he’s going after Sasuke…he might as well, if he’s in the Sound Village. That law still bothers me…and I don’t remember any “Elder Akira…not that I’m familiar with the Elders of the village so much…but I wonder…something seems wrong here…very wrong. The elders like Ekyt, no one has complained about him, Samurai or not…And Ekyt winds up in the Sound Village…maybe I should go visit Elder Akira and see what the problem is. I can’t remember that law either…if Tsunade and Master Sarutobi can’t…
Suddenly, Kakashi realized that he should hurry up. This was bad news, and it looked like there was someone behind all this. Who, he could only guess. But he thought his guess was pretty good.


Kimimaro woke up, feeling…different. Without disease…I haven’t felt like this in a long while… He stood up, disconnecting the IV’s in the process. He felt his chakra, it was normal. He could move his body, as opposed to using his mind to move his body. He felt relieved, as if he could breathe freely again. He wasn’t going to die. My cousin…why would he help me? I’ve done nothing for him? I’ve even fought against his side…but he helped me. I have to know why he helped me.
With that Kimimaro walked toward Orochimaru’s office. On the way, a jonin and four familiar faces were marched by.


Orochimaru had been pleased with the fight. Potential…I may have to claim his body for my own…Is he bluffing about how hard it is to use that chakra of his? It wouldn’t be hard to lie…but I’ve felt it’s effects, and seen the pain on his face…that was not fake…well, I’ll let this fight decide for me. If Chakaro wins, I’ll stop him before he kills the boy, and I’ll take over his body. If Ekyt wins…Well, I AM a man of my word. He’ll get my sword…and I’ll be wielding it, through his body!
Orochimaru’s train of thought was derailed there, as a jonin escorted four prisoners. Orochimaru recognized them all.
“Naruto…the Kyuubi…Sakura, the talented medic-nin…Rock Lee, the taijutsu master…and Hayate Gekko, one brave enough to oppose me! To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit? Were you snooping around?”
Sakura spoke up. “We want to join you. If Ekyt is working for you…all of us belong here, too.”
Orochimaru cocked his head. “Well…if you don’t mind waiting…he’s a little busy right now, but you’re welcome to watch.”
Four domes, made of a clear earthen substance (think Zabuza’s Water Prison) enveloped Naruto, Sakura, Lee, and Hayate. Four Orochimaru clones held them in place.
“I’m afraid your friend is in a fight for his life…but I’m sure he’d like to see you again, should he fail to defeat THIS opponent. I’ll give you credit for showing him loyalty. But he’ll need more than loyalty to save himself! But, come see for yourselves!”



Ekyt and Chakaro wasted little time. They didn’t break out the weapons just yet. It was taijutsu vs taijutsu. Ekyt had taught Chakaro a lot; obviously, Orochimaru had too. But Ekyt had learned more about chakra, that much became obvious. By forcing a taijutsu match, his chakra was replenishing itself. By the time his stamina started to wear down, his chakra would be back, and then Ekyt hoped his training would validate itself. He thought back…

(Bold is Ekyt ‘remembering’ things. Thinking is in Italics)

“C’mon Ekyt, enough already!” Linda was tapping her foot impatiently. “Enough studying already, you’ve got to relax sometime!”
Ekyt looked up from the scroll that was occupying his attention. It’s alright for YOU to relax. You rejected me, and now you want me to go site-seeing? Forget it. I know what my priorities are. I know Chakaro, and he’s studying just as hard as I am. I can’t lose a step. It might not mean anything to YOU, but falling behind is death, as far as I’m concerned…
“You go ahead. I want to finish this scroll and get it back to Asuma-sensei,” Ekyt told her. “Besides, I’ll have to face Gaara again someday. To get a little revenge for my eye, you know?”
Ekyt’s left eye had been destroyed by Gaara. A black headband covered what remained of the eye. It was grotesque image, so Ekyt hid it. Much like his mask hid his emotions. How he felt…you could trust no one but yourself…that didn’t mean not CARING about other people…but trusting them- it just wasn’t that easy for Ekyt…After Linda had rejected him, it became even harder.


“KEYA!” Chakaro aimed a hammerfist at Ekyt. Ekyt stepped into it with his forearm, using a backfist to aim for Chakaro’s face. Chakaro swept the attack aside and aimed an elbow at Ekyt’s throat. Ekyt dodged backward, snapping a kick at Chakaro’s chest. Chakaro stepped to the side and grabbed the leg. Instantly, Ekyt rolled forward, breaking Chakaro’s grip, then used his positioning to aim for a leg sweep. Chakaro jumped. Ekyt hadn’t learned nothing from Lee. He braced himself, and kicked upward just as Chakaro’s coming down. He caught Chakaro under the chin, knocking him back into the air. Ekyt leapt up to follow him. He aimed for a “Backward Dragon Impact”, but Chakaro rolled over Ekyt’s shoulders and kicked. Ekyt blocked the kick and leaned away from the incoming punch. Chakaro spun and hit Ekyt with a backfist that sent him sprawling to the ground. Chakaro leapt down instantly, but Ekyt was already on his feet. He stepped into a Crane stance and kicked with the side of his foot, aiming for Chakaro’s knee. Chakaro raised his shin up to block the kick, then used the same foot to return it. Ekyt swept the kick aside with a crescent kick of his own, then aimed an uppercut at Chakaro’s chin. Chakaro spun away from the uppercut while throwing his foot backward, aiming for Ekyt’s stomach with a back kick. Ekyt leapt backward, hoping Chakaro would advance. Chakaro took the bait, and Ekyt was waiting with his counter. He uncoiled from his crouching position, aiming for a sidekick. Chakaro blocked that with his forearm, then punched at Ekyt’s face. Ekyt kicked with a roundhouse at the same time. Both hit’s connected, and both combatants skidded backwards. Instantly, they leapt toward each other. Their strikes canceled out, and they grappled for position. Chakaro was taller and naturally stronger, but Ekyt was quicker and more experienced. When he and Chakaro grappled, Ekyt feigned going for Chakaro’s legs, instead grabbing him around the neck. He stepped in, so his hip was against Chakaro’s, and turned his body sharply. Chakaro grunted as he hit the floor from the throw. He rolled with the momentum and managed to hit Ekyt in the ribs with a non-vital open-hand strike. He had missed any tenketsu, which Ekyt knew was easy to do without Byakugan.


“So that’s it? There’s no…no hope of recovery?” Ekyt tried to keep his voice steady, and the tears out of his good eye. Ekyt had just suffered a critical strike- Kabuto had cut Ekyt’s chakra coils. Now he was in a position similar to Lee’s. Ekyt had trained hard, but nothing like Lee. He couldn’t survive, not in the Shinobi world, with only taijutsu. He had honed his jutsus. But that was all for nothing.
“It’s not the end of the world. Lee can help you with Taijutsu, and Hinata has volunteered to teach you the Tenketsu points, and how to disable them with the Gentle Palm style,” the Third Hokage told Ekyt. He expected Ekyt to be upset, but the normally stoic Shinobi had last control at last.
“That’s it? I don’t have Byakugan, that trained would be next to useless! And I’ve trained WITH Lee, but not LIKE Lee. I’m as good as dead! What did all my training do? Did it save me? NO!”
“Your fight with Kabuto allowed us time to evacuate the others. You made a sacrifice that will not be forgotten while I am Hokage.”
Ekyt’s hitai-ate clattered against the wall. “I’m glad it was worth it. I’m going to polish my old arts, and pray that they’re enough to keep me alive.”
“You can still help-”
“HOW CAN I HELP OTHERS?! I CAN’T EVEN HELP MYSELF!” Ekyt shouted. He brought his hand down across his kitchen table with such force that it cracked in half. He glared at it’s remains, then left the room, a defeated man.

Ekyt DID get his chakra coils healed by Lady Tsunade after a risky surgery.



Chakaro was panting from the effort he had just exerted. It occurred to him what Ekyt had been doing. Too late, however, as Ekyt’s chakra had returned. But Ekyt was in for a surprise.
“Pardon me for interrupting…” Orochimaru began as he and his clones marched into the room. “But you have some visitors, Ekyt.”
Ekyt’s head whipped toward the door. Sakura…Lee…Naruto…Hayate. He couldn’t believe it! He had to get them free! Chakaro tried to take advantage of the distraction, but Ekyt was prepared to deal with him first.
“Chakra Wakasashi: Jodan Strike!” Chakaro called. A short sword, made of pure chakra, came crashing down at Ekyt’s head. Ekyt focused his own chakra to his feet and leapt away, making handsigns before he even hit the ground.
“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” Ekyt shouted, making a punching motion. Orange flames roared toward Chakaro, who used his chakra to maneuver his sword in the way. He then used a puppet-like technique, controlling the sword. Ekyt could only dodge as he formulated his plan. With that damn sword in the way, he couldn’t get near Chakaro. But his plan was sound enough, he just had to implement it. For now, he had to force Chakaro to slip up. Ekyt threw eight senbon, which Chakaro knocked aside with the sword.
(Normal thought)So, he’s using that sword to block everything…how much chakra does he have? I have to force him to make a move, and now. With that sword in the way, I can’t get near him…
“Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!” Ekyt called.
“Release!”
“Demonic Illusion: False Surroundings Technique!” Ekyt replied!
“Release!” Chakaro chanted.

Ekyt noticed that every time Chakaro used the ‘Release’ technique, his chakra sword flickered. That meant that, timing it right, Ekyt could…
“Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!” Ekyt called. As soon as he finished the words, he charged in.
“Release- OOF!”
Ekyt used a Dynamic Entry, breaking Chakaro’s chakra concentration entirely. Ekyt used a Shadow Clone Jutsu, and one Jutsu he had been dying to try out.
“Drawing Blade’s Course!” Ekyt called, swiping at Chakaro with a kunai. Then the kunai elongated and the swipe hit Chakaro in the ribs. Nowhere vital, but enough to hurt him badly.


Orochimaru clapped.
“Very well done! Your friends claim they have come to serve me…is this true? Or is this a plot by you and your village?”
Ekyt looked Orochimaru in the eye. “I had no idea…what do you plan to do with them?”
Orochimaru’s smile widened. “Kill them, of course. Or I’ll let…Sasuke have the honor…”

At the name “Sasuke”, Naruto and Sakura froze up. Ekyt knew that Orochimaru had just struck a hard blow to their subconscious.
“Why kill them if they’re willing to serve you?” Ekyt asked.
“Because they aren’t fit to serve me.”
“Don’t kill them. Keep your sword.” Ekyt knew this was borderline pleading, but the thought of four of his friends dying…he couldn’t do it. They would leave alive, or he would die trying to save them.
“I never intended to let you have the sword, whether you won or not. My only plan…is to take your body for myself!”
“You can’t use that technique for another year!” Ekyt knew about the abilities of Orochimaru as well as anyone could.
“I’ve learned to speed up the process. Now then, where were we…Of course. I kill your friends, or I take your body…choose!”
Ekyt looked at his friends.



“That’s great, Ekyt! You’ve learned so quick!” Sakura told him, smiling.
“I had a good teacher,” Ekyt replied, blushing.

“I might have won Ekyt-san, but if you would use your other techniques…” Lee offered.
“No, taijutsu vs. taijutsu. It was a good match, Lee.”
Lee struck his “Nice guy” pose.

“You (Koff) know your sword work, so this won’t be hard for (koff) you. It’s called ‘Dance of the Crescent Moon.’”
Ekyt wrote the jutsu down in his scroll, then tried it, producing two clones. But it worked for him.
“Thank you, Hayate-sensei,” Ekyt said with a bow.

“Hey, Ekyt! Can I show you a jutsu? I want to know if I’m doing it right…” Naruto seemed genuinely perturbed.
“Sure, Naruto,” Ekyt replied, watching intently.
Naruto focused hard, then used the jutsu:
“Ninja Harem Jutsu!” The result was ten naked girl-Naruto’s. All of them hung on Ekyt, causing the stunned Shinobi’s eyes to pop out, before he went sailing backward with a massive nosebleed.

Lee, Sakura, and Ekyt were staring at the gate of the caste, in the Land of Herbs.
“I will never let my comrades die,” they had all said at once.


Ekyt’s gloved hand closed in a fist.

“No…” he spoke in a whisper.
“No? No what?” Orochimaru asked pleasantly.
“You can’t have me, and you can’t have them! I’ll die before you get to them! I swore I’d protect them! If I meant enough to them to come for me…You won’t touch them!” Ekyt shouted, shaking with rage. Even as he was talking, his clones cracked the stunned Orochimaru clones, releasing the four Leaf Ninja from their prisons.
Orochimaru gave a big mock sigh. “Very well. I guess I’ll have to take your body…if that doesn’t work…I can always kill you…”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on February 12, 2008, 11:36:28 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeo dear.... illread more tomorrow

hflp on January 28, 2008, 4:44:29 AM

hflp on
hflpGood Chapter can't wait for more.