Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - An Influx of Insanity

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 9 - An Influx of Insanity

Chapter 9 - An Influx of Insanity
Kakashi appeared in Tsunade’s office in a puff of smoke. Without speaking to her or Master Sarutobi, he stared at Elder Akira, his Sharingan activated. It confirmed his suspicions.
“Yes, that explains it,” he said softly, still staring. Kakashi let a little chakra flow to his hand, enough to create a light show for Elder Akira. This ‘light show’ was one of the last things Kakashi’s enemies saw. The Raikiri in it’s opening stages.
“What is this?” Akira demanded, sounding worried upon seeing the chakra in Kakashi’s hand. The crackling blue energy was transfixing.
“What is this? THIS is me about to dice you in half- unless you reveal who you REALLY are, and you start explaining WHY you made up that bogus law. Not to mention I’d like to know where you got that book. That book is forbidden to all but the Hokage and top jonin- THAT’S what seemed to wrong- that you, an elder of little status, had it. So you can start talking,” Kakashi said cheerfully, his palm now filled with crackling chakra, “Or I can burn a hole through you and see what your autopsy determines. Either way, I’ll get answers.”
Akira looked to Lady Tsunade. “He’s crazed! You know he was close to that boy! He needs to be stopped, Lady Tsunade!” Akira insisted, pointing at Kakashi with a weathered arm.
But Lady Tsunade didn’t seem to hear his complaint, not at first. She walked closer, watching the ‘Elder’ shrink in fear. The fear of dawning realization. He was screwed.
“Kakashi’s instincts have never been wrong in the time I’ve worked with him…if he’s got a reason to use the Lightning Blade on you, I’ve got no reason to stop him. So I suggest you start doing what he asks, and do what apparently comes naturally to you: Open your big mouth and spill the details. Now. Because if the Lightning Blade doesn’t scare you- maybe I do…” It was part suggestion, part threat, and all message. The elder seemed to grasp that message.
“Fine. I will remove my disguise, and then I will speak,” Elder Akira said, reaching for the tufts of short gray hair on the sides of his head with one hand, the other pulling at a wrinkled face. His hands were shaking as he removed the disguise.
The face was unfamiliar to Tsunade. But by the slight change in Master Sarutobi and in Kakashi’s visible eye, she got the message: This was a surprise, and not a welcome one.



Hayate, Lee, Sakura, and Naruto stared at Ekyt. It wasn’t immediately apparent what he was doing. He was just…standing there. Then, Hayate sensed it- chakra.
A huge buildup…emotional…that’s Ekyt’s style…but what’s he going to do with it? It’s not in his hand, like normal…Is this one of the forbidden jutsus? I guess he doesn’t have a choice…I hate to say it, but he’s the best match for Orochimaru of those of us here. After what Orochimaru did to me (Hayate hovered near death for a month before recovering after a brutal stabbing, courtesy of Orochimaru disguised as the Sand Kazekage [Not Gaara, the Fourth Kazekage]), and Naruto’s emotional instability right now…It’s going to be up to me and Lee to literally move Sakura and Naruto, something hit them hard. Ekyt is going to have to concoct some plot to hold Orochimaru off while Lee and I run for it…
“Lee, you take (koff) Naruto! I’ll get Sakura! Ekyt…” Hayate began.
But Ekyt was already doing what needed to be done.
“Demonic Illusion: Mind Barring Technique: Speed Break!” he shouted. Immediately, blood came from the corners of Ekyt’s mouth, a sign of internal injury. But the effects of the jutsu were easily worth it in his eyes. Orochimaru had stopped dead, hit hard by the surprise jutsu and the fatigue of his battle with Ekyt earlier.
What the Mind Barring Technique (one Ekyt originated) did was all medical. It was a genjutsu wrapped in a ninjutsu. First, the opponent senses a genjutsu. Whether they react to it or not, the second phase happens: The brain and the nervous system stop communicating temporarily, leaving the target of this attack paralyzed temporarily. When used in the ‘Speed Break’ form, the target may receive brain damage. There’s a 10 percent chance the target will indeed receive internal damage. But the user (Ekyt), also suffers from it. He loses chakra because the chakra is what severs the connections between the brain and the nervous system. But the amount needed, and how it exits the body, leaves small internal damage in the user, which has to be treated quickly.
Orochimaru was frozen. Inside Ekyt, there was a bigger battle:
Do it! Kill him! Kill him! All the lives you’ll save! one side argued.
Killing someone with no defense slays your honor… the other side replied.
Killing a murder is saving lives! Saving lives is honorable! the first side said.
Don’t kill him. Protect the others. What means more to you: Killing a defenseless man, or protecting the few people worthy of trust? You know what’s right…
“DAMNIT! SHUT UP!” Ekyt shouted to the voices. He decided he would compromise with the two. Ekyt’s emotional chakra had already been activated by his sudden outburst, so he put it to use:
“Blue Flame Chakra: Transparent Protection Seal!” Ekyt shouted. He jammed his hand over Orochimaru’s mouth and arms, sealing them. Orochimaru would live, but his existence would be problematic. Just as the Third Hokage had sealed Orochimaru’s arms and forced him to get a new body, Ekyt had done the same, and included Orochimaru’s mouth. Ekyt didn’t know how strong the seal was, and he didn’t care. He had to leave, and catch up with the others.


Gaara held council with Kankuro and Baki, in a Sand conference room. Their discussion had been about security, then about personnel.
“Temari has been gone for over three years…The time has come to retrieve her, or kill her. Our numbers must be balanced. We need more Shinobi, or we need Temari.” Gaara’s voice, as always, left no room for argument when it turned steely.
“Well, we DID try to kill her, Gaara. And there’s no way she’ll come back. Our last report of her indicates that she’s joined the Leaf Village. She’s forged friendships there, and with the top talent. In addition, she may have formed a romance with one of two individuals. That’s all we know, as she, well, mangled our agent upon discovering him,” Kankuro told Gaara, thinking of the ruined man in the hospital. I hope you’re alright, Temari…I said some harsh things, but that’s all sand at the beach (note- water under the bridge to us non-Sunagakure people) now…I just hope you’re happy.
Gaara had no such thoughts. He had developed feelings, love, hate, anger, and he genuinely cared about his people, now that he was the Fifth Kazekage. And he cared about Temari. He wanted her back, but at the same time, didn’t want her to be unhappy. The ‘killing’ part was just something he said naturally. Because he had little experience with such complexities as ‘mixed feelings’, Gaara didn’t quite know how to word things some times. But the people loved him, and they understood his difficulty. Very quickly, he had turned from ‘freak’ to ‘hero’, and was held in high regard by nearly everyone, save the elders, and even they were coming around. He had proven to be more effective than his father in the role of Kazekage.
Kankuro was holding the summoning scroll that contained ‘The Crow’, one of his puppets of choice. I wonder…is one of the two guys Temari might be with that Ekyt guy? The one Gaara fought? I know the other one is that Shikamaru character. Gaara wouldn’t be so bothered by that. Ekyt, though, gave Gaara a run for his money, and then he punished me. And I deserved it. What was I thinking, holding two kunoichi hostage, and then attacking Temari? I’ve never fought him before, and now that we’re allies, the most I’ll get is a sparring match…but how would Gaara feel if Temari was with Ekyt? That could cause a war. Or is Gaara past all that? Maybe the bigger question- Is Ekyt over it? Gaara destroyed his eye…if someone did that to me, I’d want to kill them…I wonder if his eye ever got healed…Either way, Temari- just take care of yourself.
“If Temari won’t come back, we’ll demand someone else from Konoha. No…demand isn’t the right word…request. Request someone from Konoha, to keep the balance. Temari was a strong jonin, we’d need someone of equal or close strength, especially with the new threats arising. For now, meeting adjourned. Kankuro, you make the journey to Konoha with me. Baki, you will maintain security while I’m gone.”


Kakashi narrowed his eyes in an uncharacteristically nasty expression.
“Mizuki? You? Of all people, you? I didn’t think you’d have the backbone to try this…unless…” Kakashi realized that there was a more disturbing prospect behind all of this. Kakashi turned to Tsunade and relayed his thoughts. They were troubling, to say the least.
“Mizuki wouldn’t have the courage to do this, not unless he was sure he wouldn’t get caught. I considered the Sound Village, but Orochimaru wouldn’t take someone so weak. The only group that could use a pawn, such as Mizuki, is the Akatsuki.”
Tsunade’s brow furrowed dangerously. She grabbed Mizuki around the neck and lifted him up, ignoring his gasping pleas of ‘put me down, please!’.
“You’d better start telling us who you’re working for and what they’re after. Because if I found out you’ve done something to hurt my village, or it’s people, I’d be forced to rip you into little, tiny, bits of coward. Now, start talking…” Tsunade dropped him to the floor, then stood above him menacingly.
Immediately, Mizuki cracked. “The Akatsuki put me up to it! They gave me power, and the promise I would be protected! They wanted anyone protecting Naruto out of the way! Without Sasuke, there were only a few people left that could help Naruto! They want his demon fox! That’s all I know! Really!”
Ebisu, who had been quiet, spoke up. “I should have seen through this…Tsunade-sama, I DO hate Ekyt, and Naruto- but I would NEVER want to see them killed, or unjustly removed from the village, no matter my distaste. I…I should have known! Punish me for going along with Mizuki in ignorance, if you need to, but please understand- I really didn’t know…”



The Sound Village Shinobi had heard the rumors about the Leaf Villagers. Weapons at the ready, they attacked the five as they left. Naruto and Sakura were out of commission, and were being pushed along by Lee and Hayate. Hayate, however, used one jutsu, in addition to Ekyt. The two called the same jutsu:
“Dance of the Crescent Moon!”
That meant six sword-wielding shadow clones were leaping in and out in an intricate pattern, keeping Sound Ninjas away while the real deals escaped. Ekyt heard the sound of curses and screams on anguish, but knew his clones weren’t killing anyone. Hayate’s might have been. Suddenly, Ekyt was tired, but he was in the best position to get them out of here. Ekyt thought back to working with Shikamaru. He didn’t have time to lay a trap, but he could improvise. The agent that made exploding tags explode, mixed with his fire…
Ekyt threw exploding tags, encouraging Hayate and Lee to do the same. When there was enough, Ekyt detonated them. With the residue of the explosion agent in the air, Ekyt took a risk. “Go, run ahead!” he called to the other four, before using his jutsu: “Dragon’s Encampment Wall!”
With the exploding agent still lingering in the air, coupled with the fire-based jutsu, there was a second explosion, and a wall of fire. That wall was between the Leaf Shinobi and the Sound Shinobi. This could have gone horribly wrong- the flame could have shot back at Ekyt and burned him to a crisp, despite it being his own jutsu. But his risk had paid off. Using the Body Flicker Jutsu, Ekyt and the others were headed for home. But not fast enough. Ekyt didn’t know what happened to Naruto and Sakura, but he guessed their minds would crumble soon, if this was a genjutsu as he suspected.
“Hayate-sensei, pass Sakura off to me! Lee, are you up to opening the first gate?” Ekyt called over to Lee.
“I am! Let us do it!” Lee replied with his usual gusto.
Hayate knew an advanced Body Flicker Jutsu, so he could keep up, while Ekyt and Lee, each toting one stunned Ninja, zipped away as fast as they could. That wall of fire wouldn’t hold up forever, and they didn’t want to be around when it died down. That’s not to say they would be escaping without scars. Emotional and physical scars were aplenty…


As Kakashi and Tsunade exchanged thoughts about the Akatsuki, what appeared to be three people were suddenly in the room with them. Quickly that began five, as Ekyt and Lee unloaded their ‘cargo’. Ekyt didn’t say a word, he knelt down near Naruto and Sakura. He knelt close to them, focusing his chakra to his senses. He was sure this was a genjutsu, somehow triggered by Orochimaru using Sasuke’s name. And he was sure it powerful. And he was POSITIVE that it had to be broken- now. He put his hands together in the correct sign, and said it aloud:
“Release!”
No dice. It WAS genjutsu, as he thought, but too powerful to be broken by an external release. Ekyt put a hand on Sakura’s shoulder, then one on Naruto’s. He focused his chakra and forced a little of his own chakra in to them. They both stirred, sitting up. Sakura reared back and cracked Ekyt in the face, thinking they were still among the enemy.
“Sorry!” she called. Ekyt had taken out a bookcase, but that didn’t matter. He was already unconscious. Using those jutsu, and then opening the Gate of Chakra, had taken their toll on him. He was unconscious, his impromptu mission a success. However, his rest wasn’t going to last. Almost immediately, Tsunade hauled him to his feet. She even slapped him a couple times to bring him to his senses.
“I really need a report, Ekyt. You have information that none of us have. I know you’re tired, but please tell us what you know,” Tsunade told Ekyt. She was speaking to him as thought nothing had happened. That would prove to be a mistake.
Ekyt, any other time, would have been fine with that. But, through his bleary eyes, he saw the person who had let him be removed from his home. Someone who had turned her back on him…Another one. Was there no one worthy of trust? (Though that thought was quickly dispelled by five of the people in the room) He felt a seed of anger in his stomach, and it expanded, until it burst, and with it came a wave of anger.
“Why should I? I’m not a part of Konoha, remember? THIS headband (Sound) is outdated, too. You know, what about thinking about my damn health? I’m bleeding, maybe even dying, and you want information from me? You toss my @$$ out on the street, and then you want a favor? I’ll write you a standard report, have Umisu (Chinese Water Dragon Summon) deliver it, then find my new home. It’s pretty damn obvious I’m not welcome here!”
Tsunade was prepared to fire back, but she stopped herself. He’s right…Where is my head? It’s not like we’re in immediate danger…I should have healed him first…if someone kicked me out of my home, I’d be pissed, too…I haven’t even told him that everything was false! But I DID take his headband, and with it…probably what dregs of pride he had.
“I’m sorry, you’re right…I saw Naruto and Sakura hurt, and I let my emotions get the better of me. But I DO have good news: Everything was fake. This ‘Elder Akira’ was an imposter, and-”
The ‘and’ was cut off by Ekyt striding over and grabbing Mizuki by the vest.
“Give me one reason I don’t kick your teeth down your throat. Speak up, you traitorous piece of shoot!” Ekyt slammed him into the wall, then gave him a teeth-rattling slap. “I said, start talking. I don’t work for anyone, so you’ll find I have no problem beating the life out of you. I don’t have a village to disgrace by doing so.”
Mizuki, though he was older, and a chunin, was still intimidated by Ekyt. He quickly thought of a way out of his situation. The giant shuriken he kept on his back…he pushed Ekyt, grabbed one, and threw it- at Sakura!
SCHEWING!
(NOTE: yes, I AM aware that this is a blatant ripoff here, but I’ve always wanted to write this, so bare with me, okay? XD)
Sakura, who was still stunned, couldn’t move. She saw the shuriken spinning toward her, but couldn’t move out of the way. She put her arms up to defend herself, then turned away, wincing. That genjutsu had really hurt her. Everyone else was stunned by Ekyt’s display of rage. Now, they were stunned by his display of courage. The giant shuriken was sticking out of his back. Ekyt was on all fours, covering Sakura. He had just saved her. (Picture Iruka saving Naruto. Hence the rip off)
Sakura looked up, still shaken from the genjutsu, to see a masked face and two eyes. The eyes were closed in pain. Blood was dripping down mask, coming from under it. Then more came, this time from around the back of the owner of the eyes and masked face.
“Ekyt…” she said, shocked.
Ekyt struggled to his feet, pulling the giant shuriken out. Mizuki was ready with another one. Kakashi was ready to block it, but Ekyt had beaten him to it. Mizuki froze, dropping the shuriken to the ground, where it landed with an audible ‘clang!’ He was shaking. Slowly, he fell to his knees, then to the ground. Ekyt didn’t break eye contact. He had used genjutsu to torture Mizuki, and he had poured in on thick. Just short of destroying the man’s mind. Ibikki would have been proud, had he known about it.
“I’ve been a coward…” Ekyt said suddenly. He blinked back tears, hating them. Hating his emotions. Why did they exist? They only hurt. They ripped him apart.
“I could have killed Orochimaru! I could have killed Kabuto! Killing those two would have saved lives, and I couldn’t do it! All the good I could have done…just by taking even one life…taking one…simple…life. But it’s never simple, is it? I ran from a fight I could have won…on the premise of saving my friends…and all I did was put one of them in worse danger…”
Ekyt finished his rant, then passed out from the blood loss. Sakura ran over and gently turned him on to his stomach, to close up his back. She used the Chakra Scalpel to clean and close the wound up somewhat, then bandaged it. She saw the cut on his arm, and tended to that, too. For a few seconds, she just knelt there, wondering what had happened to make him snap like that. The bashful, hard-working kid who never put a toe out of line, had just cursed his very existence- over one judgment call? Not to mention blocking that shuriken- how had he done that, in such a weakened state?
Kakashi looked at Ekyt’s unconscious form, and sighed. “He’s right, in a way. He’s never taken a life. He told me once ‘Life isn’t something you should take, unless you can give it back’. If he had killed Orochimaru, he would have been beating himself up for that. What he needs now, more than ever, is purpose and understanding.”
Tsunade nodded. “His trust was breeched when he was forced to leave. I can’t say if it will ever come back…the Akatsuki didn’t completely succeed, but they might have cost Konoha a very loyal citizen. As it is, I can’t welcome him back yet. He’d have to start from scratch. Not that it would take him long, but there’s still the point of dignity to consider.”
“Ekyt-san will recover…He will not give up. He is at a point of despair. He feels as though he belongs nowhere, and that false law reaffirmed that belief…” Lee steeled himself, ready to speak to the Hokage. “Tsunade-sama, you should address the people, and tell them that the law was false. To calm them. Leave Ekyt to the five of us…I know it is not standard procedure, but I think it is what Ekyt-san needs…the people he trusts…”


Ekyt was awake after a few minutes, though considerably sore. He apologized to Sakura, Lee, Naruto, Hayate, and Kakashi.
“I could have killed him, and I shouldn’t have. Now I’m glad I didn’t. There’s no honor in killing a defenseless man…Kakashi-sensei, I know you got my note. I’m sorry, I failed that mission…”
Kakashi was clearly smiling under the mask. “You stood up to Orochimaru and defended a village you thought had abandoned you. You have a special kind of integrity. You carried a hurt comrade out of a village, improvised as necessary, and then you…cursed out the Hokage (Ekyt: -_-‘). I think you should know what kind of loyalty you inspire…”
“That’s right! The place came unglued! Tenten hit Ebisu with a rock, and twenty people turned in their headbands! Believe it!” Naruto laughed at the memory of a confident Tenten smirking after puncturing Ebisu’s lip with a rock.
That’s when Ekyt noticed that all of the five he was talking with were headband-less. Kakashi had tied a black headband around his eye, instead of wearing the Leaf Hitai-ate.
“Temari, Tenten, Shikamaru, Asuma, Guy…the list goes on. All because of what happened to you,” Sakura told him. Then she looked at Hayate and Kakashi; she hadn’t told Ekyt the whole truth, and he was sharp enough to know it.
“People were afraid that they would be next. But the five of us…you mean a lot to us. Temari, too, apparently, because she was right behind us.”
Naruto couldn’t resist stirring the shoot. (Sorry, crude, I know, but it made me laugh, so I included it). “Hey, isn’t Temari the same age as you? And not bad in the T&A department either, dattebayo!” Naruto declared, nudging Ekyt. Ekyt, true to form, turned progressively redder. Sakura punched Naruto.
“You pig! Women aren’t for staring at like that!” Sakura shouted, furious at Naruto for his insinuations.
“Oh yeah? Then what’s a make-out bar for?!” Naruto replied.
“For perverts like you!” Sakura snarled.
Naruto’s right…but I like Sakura! But she’s only got eyes for Sasuke…Temari likes Shikamaru…who the hell knows anymore! All I know is, either I’ll have a surge of bravery, or the girl will tell me “You like me, I like you”. I sure as hell can’t figure it out! Believe THAT!


Gaara and Kankuro arrived at the Hokage’s office.
“Lady Tsunade, I need to speak with you, concerning a member of your village…”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on February 12, 2008, 9:33:29 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifenow THAT is a chapter