Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Akatsuki Appearance

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 10 - Akatsuki Appearance

Chapter 10 - Akatsuki Appearance
It was the middle of the night. Most of Konoha was sleeping peacefully. It seemed only one person was up. With scrolls strewn about the woods he had chosen as his ‘hotel’, the boy worked feverishly on a jutsu of his own creation. It was a self-imposed ritual, or punishment, similar to that of the Uchiha clan’s “Fireball Jutsu” tradition. Once you could do that, you were an adult in the Uchiha clan. To the boy working, it meant a minor success. But it was proving troublesome, as thought and thought, poison to his mind, rattled his concentration.

“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” Ekyt shouted, making a striking motion at the tree that was about 100 yards away. The flame missed it reaching it by 20 yards. Ekyt tried again.
“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” The orange flames scorched the ground in front of the tree, but didn’t actually hit the tree itself.
Focus…Focus! Nothing else exists. You and that tree. That tree is a threat to your life, your existence, everything you stand for. It needs to go away, and you need to do it! Get rid of it! Stop thinking of them! Friends, yes, you have them! Can they always come through for you? No! Now, focus! Forget everything. You, a jutsu, a tree…that’s all that matters, that’s all the exists. Now, go!
“DRAGON’S EMBER JUTSU!” This time, the flame shot into the tree, setting it ablaze. Satisfied, Ekyt used another jutsu to extinguish the flame.
“Water Clone Jutsu,” he said, almost tonelessly. He pointed toward the tree. The clone nodded and leapt on the growing fire, putting the flames out while evaporating itself. Ekyt didn’t smile- this was a logical step, and hardly successful. In combat, he wouldn’t have the luxury to stop and think, to block everything out. There would be variables, other teammates, other enemies. He had to get the jutsu right the first time. 100 yards WAS impressive, considering this was a relatively new jutsu, and little power was sacrificed despite the long distance.

Distance?

That brought up more thoughts. Ekyt was in Konoha, back home. Temporarily. The place no longer felt like home. It felt cold, alien. Despite the warm welcomes, and assurances that all the problems were in the past, Ekyt had his doubts. Stick your hand in the lion’s mouth, and you get bitten. I’m always saying ‘the sword fits the hand’- does it? Is Konoha really where I belong? I have friends here…but I’ve always relied on myself. If I go somewhere else, at least until I reach the rank of chunin, maybe things will have healed. Does time really heal all wounds? That’s what everyone says…but is it true? People say a lot of things, and people and what they say are, by and large, unworthy of trust. Ekyt pondered that as he walked through Konoha, to find an empty rooftop where he could curl up with a scroll and the two candles he needed to provide light. There was a lot to think about, and ALL of his actions were going to have consequences of some sort. He still felt betrayed, no matter what Lee, Sakura, Kakashi, Naruto, and Hayate say. Maybe I’m just not ready to forgive the village yet. No, not the Village, it’s leadership. The Village has been great. The system, not so much. So I should leave until there’s a change in the system. But, at the same time, I already know that I would be back here, protecting them and the people in it, no matter what…why isn’t anything straightforward? This is a gray area…choices are easier when the only colors are black and white. And it doesn’t help that Sakura is in Konoha. I’m so confused. I know I like her for more than her looks. But Temari’s name comes up, too. She’s my age, and beautiful. But I’ve had my eye on Sakura for years! I’m wasting my time, neither one would call me their boyfriend. I don’t have a village, let alone a girl! I have only myself to rely on.


Tsunade listened patiently, with Sakura and Shizune at her side, as Gaara and Kankuro explained what was going on. It troubled her, to say the least.
“The Akatsuki have already taken the Shukaku, and now they’re after Naruto’s demon fox. We have reason to believe that Sunagakure might be their target. And, if you agree to lend us a strong Shinobi, we’ll help you lay a trap for the Akatsuki. But we need someone Temari will acknowledge as at least close to an equal. And Gaara has to agree with her choice.”
“I can’t spare any Shinobi right now,” Tsunade explained to Kankuro when he had finished speaking. “The Leaf Village isn’t at it’s strongest. We’ve just lost a Shinobi ourselves. You remember Ekyt Kaguya, right? Well, he was forced to leave the Village. But now, we’ve found that the law he was indicted on was a fallacy, a plot by the Akatsuki. If I had the Shinobi to spare, I would be sorely tempted by your plan. Naruto is at risk, but I’m remedying that by adding an ANBU agent to this team, in this place of Sasuke Uchiha. The boy is a little rough around the edges personality-wise, but he has the necessary training and ability.”
Gaara spoke this time, knowing his words had a more commanding presence than Kankuro’s. “In our treaty, an agreement between our Village’s, we agreed to provide military and economic support to each other. You are not fulfilling that end of the deal. I understand your position, but you have to understand mine.”
Gaara and Tsunade stared at each other. No hatred in either’s eyes, but there WAS a growing frustration in Tsunade’s. It felt like there was an easy answer to this problem, but she couldn’t but her finger on it…


Ekyt, who had picked a rooftop, heard the commotion in the Hokage’s office. Risking a glance around the building, he saw Gaara and Kankuro. In a flash, his scroll was gone and his candles were extinguished. The next instant, he was in front of Tsunade and the others. He had a snarl on his face under his mask, visible in his eyes. He was glaring at the two Sand Shinobi, and looked ready to attack.
“What the hell? Kid, are you nuts? Get out of the way!” Tsunade demanded.
“You have no authority over me,” Ekyt reminded her dryly without looking back at her. He heard her curse and call him a nasty name, but he didn’t particularly care.
“Ekyt, please, do what she asks,” Shizune told him gently. Ekyt, who had no problem with Tsunade, backed off. But he didn’t take his eyes off of Gaara. The memories of Gaara destroying his eye almost four years ago lit a fire in the rogue’s eyes.
Gaara looked over at him. “Please summon Temari. I won’t touch her, sand or otherwise. But she needs to name someone. That, or I’ll be forced to make peace with another Village, and annul our treaty. I have no choice, I have to do what’s best for my Village. Keep in mind the trap I explained. It’s beneficial for all of us.”
Tsunade nodded and used her Summon, a slug, to bring Temari to her office.


Temari received the message while with Naruto. Her face going pale clued Naruto in to the fact that there was a problem.
“It’s Gaara…he wants me back, or a substitute…And he’s here, now. I’ve got to go meet him. Last time we met, he tried to kill me…”
Naruto stepped up. “I’ll go with you! Gaara won’t touch you while I’m around, believe it!”
Temari nodded her thanks, and they set off at a spring for the Hokage’s office.


Ekyt and Gaara were staring at each other.
“I see your eye is healed…” Gaara’s dry whisper informed Ekyt.
“Yeah. It is. I see you’re the Kazekage. Congratulations. Bastard,” Ekyt replied.
“If this is about your eye…forgive me…I was confused, and thought that killing validated my existence…It was wrong.”
Ekyt was genuinely shocked by this, especially from Gaara. But no apology. Guess he isn’t THAT human yet. I’m the other end of the spectrum- TOO human. Ekyt duly noted.




Temari and Naruto hustled to Tsunade’s office. They were surprised to see Ekyt, who didn’t seem to know who to glare at first. Shizune had put a hand on his shoulder, clearly ready to grab him if he attacked Tsunade. For now, the hand was there for comfort. Sakura stood on his other side, hands behind her back, with perfect posture. She didn’t trust Gaara, and she knew how Ekyt had to be feeling.
I was the one who performed the surgery on his eye…the damage was incredible…I don’t blame him for wanting to rip Gaara apart. Sakura thought, chancing a glance at Ekyt.
Tsunade explained the situation to Temari. She breathed a sigh of relief when she realized she didn’t have to go back. But finding a replacement- easier said than done.
“I’ll do it,” Ekyt piped up.
“Stay out of this, Ekyt!” Tsunade snarled at him.
“If it concerns my friend, it concerns me. I’ll do it,” Ekyt repeated.
Temari looked at him. “Kid…thank you. It means a lot. It really does.” Temari pulled him into a hug (earning a curious look of anger/shock from Sakura), then turned back to the others.
“He’s more than skilled enough, and Konoha wouldn’t be losing anyone. Everyone wins,” Temari declared. “Well, except the kunoichi!” she declared, only to make Ekyt blush. He didn’t disappoint.
“For our plan to work, he has to sufficiently mimic Naruto. He can do Shadow Clones, but can he-”
Ekyt looked up, in horror.
“That skill is rather…unnecessary, don’t you think? Naruto only uses that skill as a joke, not in combat. There’s no reason he needs to learn the Ninja Harem.” All that came from Sakura, who found Temari and Shizune nodding in agreement. Guess I’m not the only one that senses his innocence… Sakura thought. She hoped he didn’t have to learn that jutsu.


Gaara looked Ekyt in the eyes. Neither spoke, until Gaara broke the akward silence.
“Can you work with me? I can’t ask you to forgive me. But can you work with me?”
Ekyt looked back at him. This is a sacrifice for a friend. A comrade you won’t let die, right? Well, two of them. If they go through with this plan, I’m in the Akatsuki’s crosshairs…but this means protecting Naruto and Temari…I’ll do it. Whatever it takes. The Akatsuki won’t get that demon while I live!
The plan was simple: Ekyt was to maintain a transformation jutsu on the way into Sunagakure, and any time he ventured out. This would lure the Akatsuki into the open. If they tried to sense Chakra power, they would sense that Ekyt, in his Naruto disguise, would have two chakras. That would be all it would take to convince them. Ekyt suddenly realized he was daydreaming, and turned to face Gaara and Kankuro, two people had considered enemies. People he had wanted revenge on.
He extended his hand.
“I can work with you. And I will. For their sake, and your Village. I’ve never been to Sunagakure, but I’m willing to bet it’s a nice place,” Ekyt said, a hint of a smile on his face. It didn’t stem from his comment. But he had just thumbed his nose at Tsunade once again. It was obvious she was furious.
Good. dog. Ekyt thought viciously.


Tsunade controlled her anger. Damn it, that kid is doing this on purpose! He’s TRYING to piss me off- and it’s working! I DID make him leave, I guess, but I’ve tried to make things right. I’ll give this time. I can’t apologize again, I’ve got to maintain a Hokage’s position on this- not a friend’s position. And he’s right- I have no jurisdiction over him or his actions unless he’s living here or wearing a Leaf Hitai-ate. I hope time really does heal all wounds…after what Master Sarutobi told me, he needs the Leaf Village, just as much as we need him. But if he won’t work with us…time and space. Maybe he’ll lose his anger. He just did with Gaara…
Although, Tsunade’s mind soon added a sardonic quip.
Maybe he only forgave Gaara because he’s mad at me…


“So you’re leaving again?”
“On a mission this time…of course, rogue’s don’t get paid, so it’s purely for the sake of a couple of people,” Ekyt explained to Kakashi. He told him the plan.
“If you face Itachi Uchiha, avoid his eyes. If you face his partner, don’t touch his sword. It’ll be your first instinct, but don’t touch it.”
Ekyt nodded. “Would you tell the others I said ‘thanks, and see you later’ for me? I want to leave tonight. The sooner, the better, to get Naruto out of danger.”
Kakashi looked Ekyt up and down. He looked just like Naruto, except when he talked, something sensible came out.
“Don’t forget, you’re Naruto Uzumaki. Be a little more hyper, and add “Dattebayo!” to the end of your sentences. And, though it’s normally stupid, yell and then rush, using Shadow Clones first. It’s Naruto’s hallmark, and if this plan is going to work, you need a convincing act. And, if you get in trouble…you can always come to us.” Kakashi ruffled Ekyt’s hair.
“Thank you, sensei. I know I’ll be back…I’m just trying to keep the last shred of dignity I have…”



Gaara and Kankuro walked on either side of Ekyt. Kankuro kept shooting glances at Ekyt, glances which the rogue genin didn’t return, at first. Finally, he looked over, as an invitation for Kankuro to speak.
“Hey, listen, I’m sorry about what I pulled at the chunin exams. It was low, and I deserved the @$$-kicking you gave me. When you defended Temari with a broken leg, I knew that I was either wrong, or that you and her were sleeping together.”
Ekyt chuckled, but in Naruto’s voice. “She has her eyes elsewhere. I count her as a friend, dattebayo.”
Kankuro chuckled at the Naruto impression. It was necessary, but still funny. Gaara didn’t smile, but Kankuro could tell when his mood was lightening. Thank God…he was his murderous self the whole way here.
“Glad you could help us out, Naruto. Just be careful, it’s the Akatsuki after us. They got the Shukaku inside me, your nine-tails might be next,” Gaara told him grimly. If the Akatsuki were listening, they had to make this plausible.
“Ha! Bring them on! I’m not scared of those cloak-wearing freaks! I’m gonna be Hokage some day, I won’t let a bunch of reject criminals take me down, Dattebayo!” ‘Naruto’ paused, trying to think of what he should say next. “Hey, is their ramen in your village? Please tell me there is, I’m starving! I could really go with some beef ramen! Or maybe seafood! Yeah! Hey, are we there yet?!”
Kankuro looked over at Ekyt, suppressing his laughter. This was hilarious. How could Ekyt keep a straight face?
“Shut up, already! We’re almost there!” Kankuro admonished ‘Naruto’.


Itachi ended the jutsu. He opened his eyes, letting the Sharingan deactivate. He wanted to let his chakra replenish itself.
“Report?” Pain demanded harshly, though you could hear a hint of eagerness in his voice.
“Two chakras, and his actions are that of Uzumaki. He’s protected by the Kazekage, and one other individual, a puppet master,” Itachi’s toneless voice supplied to one of the faces of Pain.
“Good. Deidara and Sasori, Itachi and Kisame are to handle this. If the Leaf Jinchuuriki is involved, his village will be, too. That means Kakashi and Tsunade’s pupil, if not more. We need at least as many as them, however powerful the four of you might be. Do we know the status of the rogue Kaguya, Ekyt?”
“Last known status was Sound Village genin. He’s disappeared off our records since then,” Itachi replied. No small feat…the boy was nearly a threat last time we met…if he’s gotten away from us, he’s matured into the threat I thought he’d be…
Pain sighed. “No doubt he’ll protect the Jinchuuriki. His specialty is…genjutsu, if memory serves. Itachi, when you met him, you said he would be worth our time some day. Perhaps that day has come. When we have him AND the Jinchuuriki, it will make us that much stronger. It would seem Mizuki has failed us. Let Zetsu deal with him…in his own, inimitable way…”


(NOTE: YES, I am aware that this is different from the Shippuuden storyline.)

Deidara had heard of his newest mission, as had Sasori, his partner.
“Again with the demon fox, un?” Deidara muttered happily. The mouth of his hand chewed away, making a small bird.
“So it seems…” Sasori mumbled. He wasn’t in the mood for banter.
Deidara smiled again. “You don’t sound happy, un. Afraid your ‘art’ will be destroyed? I have no fear that MINE will be, that’s the beauty of my art. It lasts only seconds…But it’s detonation, and the destruction it causes- beautiful.”
Sasori shot him a sideways glance. “Art should last forever, not for seconds. That clay of yours isn’t art…”
“It IS art. And my art, unlike yours- is a bang!” Deidara let the bird fly from his hand. It got far enough away, and then detonated upon Deidara’s ‘Katsu’ command.
“Beautiful…” Deidara sighed as the scent of smoke lingered in the air.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on February 13, 2008, 5:19:40 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifevery nice

hflp on February 1, 2008, 3:01:43 AM

hflp on
hflpA little unexpected, but good none the less. Can't wait to see how it turns out.