Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - Three Villages, Two Swords, One Chance

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 12 - Three Villages, Two Swords, One Chance

Chapter 12 - Three Villages, Two Swords, One Chance
Ekyt found himself staring down four fearsome criminals. This wasn’t good. Not good in the least. Where the hell were the others? Had they abandoned him? It didn’t matter, he would be dead in seconds, unless he agreed with Itachi. But was he prepared to do that? Could he live with himself as a member of the Akatsuki. He had considered their offer. He needed more time. Either his team would show up, or they wouldn’t. But either way, he had to sort this out.
“Give me 5 minutes to think about your offer, Itachi,” Ekyt told him. “It’s not an easy decision. At the end of five minutes, you will have your answer- one way or the other.”
The others looked at Itachi. He had addressed Ekyt first, and had received an answer. They couldn’t wait to see what Itachi’s response would be? Tsukuyomi? Amaterasu? Chidori? Itachi opened his mouth.
“Five minutes.” Itachi looked at his comrades, seeing shock written on their faces. They don’t understand just how delicate a situation like this is…the boy is leaning, he needs a push in the right direction- and he, and soon, the Kyuubi, will fall into the arms of the Akatsuki. Even if he’s only stalling us for time, it won’t matter. It will draw out the Kyuubi. Either way, we walk away with someone.

Ekyt knew this was the part of the plan that was going to be hard for him. He had to improvise. On the one hand, joining the Akatsuki made him a criminal and put him in danger. But if he joined, he could prevent capture of other Jinchuuriki and the extraction of their biiju’s. He would likely be killed if (and this is likely) the Akatsuki found out what he was doing. But what were his other options? Go back to Konoha and beg? No, he had a small shred of pride left. Back to the Sound Village? No, they were just as likely to kill him. Stay in Sunagakure? Ekyt had considered that. The old thoughts of Gaara destroying his eye disturbed him too much. If Temari had been in Sunagakure, he might have stayed. There were really only two options: Stay a rogue, or join the Akatsuki. Ekyt wished he had someone to discuss this with. Kakashi-sensei would be perfect. But he had only himself to count on…
Again.
So he stood upright and walked back over to the waiting Itachi.
“Itachi, let’s put lies and deception aside for a minute. I’ve already figured out what you plan to do…with me, with Naruto…and I can’t let it happen. If you weren’t targeted the Jinchuuriki, I would join you. All of you are warriors of the highest caliber…to a point. And that point is the one that I’ve been struggling with. You’re a loosely-bound organization. What happens when one of you gets greedy, or feels their power threatened.? The whole organization would fall to pieces. I think it’s something all of you have thought of, at one point or another. Most likely, after you’d conquered the world, you would break off and fight. But what if you introduced a new factor into the equation? The new factor, meaning me, would ruin your entire equation. You all have a balance of power- but I’m younger than you, and I have more room to grow. So what would happen?”
Itachi’s Sharingan was visible now.
“Your bluff isn’t going to work. However true, we are united with a common goal right now. You are with us, or against us, and I think you’ve made yourself clear.”
“Have I, Itachi? Well, this might come as a shock…but I accept your offer.”


In the bushes, Kakashi’s team was stunned. Strangely, Kakashi seemed non-plussed. He muttered something into a field mic no one knew he had. He returned to watching the battlefield a second later, visible eye narrowed in concentration, right hand near his headband, ready to use his Sharingan in the likely even that Itachi found them.



Ekyt whipped around, smiling under his mask. Right on schedule, Orochimaru…
“Lord Orochimaru! What are you doing here?!” Ekyt shouted.
Orochimaru smirked. “You did very well, drawing the Akatsuki into the open…but alas, there are more than I bargained for…so it’s time to withdraw.”
Ekyt looked confused. “My genjutsu…it WOULD wear off…my seals…I guess you ARE worthy, Lord Orochimaru. But, you see, Itachi seems to think I’m worthy of the Akatsuki…”
Orochimaru’s smirk slightened. “They can’t give you anything but a ring. I can give you the rank of chunin…and help you unlock powers you never knew you had. To show my sincerity…I remember your desire to possess my blade, the Kusanagi…I was fully prepared to give it to you, when you made your…hasty exit. But I think what I have may indeed be better.”
Orochimaru’s mouth widened. From within it, a snake popped out. It hissed, then opened it’s mouth and spewed a package out.
“Go on, open it. You’ll find it to your liking, I’m sure. Dragon’s aside, you’re proficient with snakes…so why not posses these as well…”
Ekyt’s eyes involuntarily widened in shock. The two blades, held within a sheath of snake skin, were legendary. Ekyt could sense that they were real. He touched them, and knew- he now possessed the Twin Striking Serpents blade. It was supposedly mythical, created by a ronin samurai, exiled from his village. He hoped to create a blade powerful enough to one day conquer his village. The nameless samurai had kidnapped a ninja and forced him to use his chakra on the sword, in effect making it lighter, faster, and stronger than any blade created. The ninja, however, had cursed the blade. The bearer had to have a connection with snakes, or the blades would turn on him in battle. Enraged, the samurai studied snakes, and formed a bond with one, just before his death. That snake, at the time a little garden snake? Orochimaru’s summon, Mando.
Ekyt was indeed proficient with snakes. He had one attack, taught to him by Anko Mitarashi, the “Striking Shadow Snakes”, and it had saved his life countless times.
“A little known fact about those blades…they come with a summon, a snake. One less greedy than my dear Mando, and slightly less powerful. But you’ll find the two of you share a kinship…”



Ekyt looked at the blades. Okay, so far, so good. I’ve turned on Konoha, Orochimaru, and the Akatsuki. Now, I’m in the middle. The ultimate goal is to get rid of the Akatsuki. The question is- where will I do more damage? Within the Akatsuki, or with Orochimaru? The Akatsuki…they’re bluffing, and even if I could keep pace with one, I couldn’t handle all of them. Orochimaru…he’s the better choice. But can I trust him? I almost blew my cover, but good, when I attacked him in defense of Sakura, Naruto, Lee, and Hayate…
There was one more voice in Ekyt’s head, this one speaking up more clearly than ever.
Orochimaru will make you a chunin.
Ekyt opened his mouth and…



WHOOSH! The Konoha group burst on the scene. Kakashi’s hand was crackling with blue energy.
“Oh shoot,” Ekyt muttered, looking at Kakashi, but avoiding his eye.
“Lightning Blade!” Kakashi zipped towards Ekyt, his hand ready to jam the attack home, but it was blocked- by a snake? Kakashi looked at the snake, shocked. Ekyt shook his head; he hadn’t summoned hit.
“I can’t allow you to attack my master. He possesses the blades, I defend him. Please do not attack my master again, or I will be forced to kill.” The snake spoke in a deep voice, with a slight accent. It was roughly eight feet tall, and it was green and black in color. It’s eyes were black, with green rims around them. “My name is Shuurai, and you, Ekyt Kaguya, are my master as long as you hold those swords. To summon me, put one blade in the ground and perform a summoning jutsu, using the other sword to make the cut for the blood tribute.” Shuurai disappeared.
“This mission is over, Ekyt. It’s too dangerous to continue. Pull out,” Kakashi ordered.
“This was a setup?!” that came from a lot of people from each group.



“No. Lord Orochimaru has just given me a gift, and something Konoha couldn’t give me, no matter how deserving I was! I’m a chunin of the Hidden Sound Village now. Your mission- ha! It ended long ago. I would attack you, but it seems we have a common goal- the elimination of the Akatsuki! For once, the Sound and the Leaf are on the same page. It was just a matter of time before I decided to pick someone else. Konoha held me back! I gave it everything I had, I gave it my life! All I got in return…was abuse, and lies! Orochimaru’s made good on his promises. The Akatsuki are a close second. If I was a jonin, I would have sided with them. But I want my rank first.” Ekyt declared.


Lee and Shikamaru looked at each other, then nodded to Sakura.
“Shadow Possession Jutsu!” Shikamaru called. He snared Ekyt successfully. The snake defending him was gone now, and Ekyt had no way of summoning him.
Lee walked forward, and looked Ekyt in the face.
“We were comrades…you swore…to never let your teammates die. Have you forgotten the promise you made? Were you not part of my team once? What about Sakura? And Naruto? Not all of us have betrayed you.”
Ekyt looked Lee in the eyes. “It would only be a matter of time. Trust is just a word that has no meaning. It’s a shame I had to learn that the hard way. It’s better we part as friends, than let time force us apart as enemies.”
“Time is a companion, not an enemy!” Lee told Ekyt with his usual vigor.
Ekyt smiled. “Time is a predator that stalks us all our lives.” (Who can name the movie I borrowed that quote from? –NG)
Lee shook his head sadly. “You will not listen to me…maybe…maybe you will listen to Sakura?”


Here we go… Sakura thought as she stepped forward. She forced herself to make eye contact with Ekyt. Her light green eyes met his dark hazel eyes. Some unknown force locked their gazes together. Shikamaru shifted his posture to his normal slouching position, so Ekyt’s body had to follow suit.
“Ekyt…is this really what you want? To live among criminals, and liars, and murders? If I know one thing about you…it’s that you’re none of those! You’re an honorable person! All the good you did…give Konoha a chance to right itself…you know you’ll always have me on your side…Thirty people were willing to leave the Shinobi life behind because of how Lady Tsunade treated you. Give her…us…a chance…to make things right…because no matter what you say and do now, you’re saying it while angry and hurt! People say things they don’t mean when they feel that way. I can sense it, you know…your chakra. The emotional one. It wants to explode, it wants to burst. It’s eating you up…We need you, Ekyt. All the times you and I have teamed together, and the times I’ve patched you up…all in the name of Konoha…a bond exists between you and us, and it can’t be broken by a snake like Orochimaru, or a bunch of run-away criminals! It’s loyalty, Ekyt. Your Nindo, Bushido, whatever you call it, your way of life, your way of thinking. Don’t throw it away by choosing these people over us!”



Ekyt looked back, this time tones of remorse in his voice.
“Konoha and duty…were two voids in my heart…but there was always the third. Companionship. I never had that, did I? I always envied you and Naruto, or Lee, Neji, and Tenten, or Shikamaru, Choji, and Ino, all of the teams. I even envied Temari. All of you…have people to rely on. Have dreams that can still be fulfilled. While me…I have nothing but ‘duty’ left. The void in my heart has grown…and I don’t think anything can bridge it’s gap…”
Temari landed, soon followed by- Kimimaro?
This wasn’t part of the plan…
But Kimimaro said nothing, not right away. Temari spoke up, and she wasn’t shy and sweet like Sakura. She strode over and slapped Ekyt hard across the face. (In effect, Shikamaru was hurt by the slap! “Hey! Knock it off! Troublesome woman!”) She grabbed him by his vest and pulled him close to her face.
“Do you remember defending me, on that broken leg? Against my brothers? The deal you made with them? And you’re going to forget all that, and join this scum? If you do, there’s no way you’re as smart as I gave you credit for! You’re pissing away everything! And you know why? Poor you, you’re not a chunin, you don’t have a girlfriend, and your life sucks? Yeah? I’m a jonin, who’s left her own village, has no boyfriend, but you know something? I don’t dog and moan. I DO something about it, and that doesn’t include running away, because it’s easier.”
“You left your village…what gives you the right to yell at me?” Ekyt shot back. Temari tugged him closer, loosening her grip slightly upon realizing she was choking him (And Shikamaru, in effect)
“I left because I was threatened…you left because you were forced to. But you were welcomed back! Instead, you’re piddling here, your tail between your legs. Why don’t you grow a set and come back? Or are you afraid of Lady Tsunade, and the Village. Afraid of…failure? Get your act together! Maybe THEN you’ll get someone to love you!” Temari gave Ekyt a hard shove backward.

Sakura had to try hard not to rush over and heal him. For now, Shikamaru still had him trapped in the Shadow Possession Jutsu. He wasn’t seriously injured, but apparently shaken up by Temari. Temari glanced at Sakura, who cautiously nodded her approval. They HAD to talk some sense into him now.


Kimimaro walked over to Ekyt, pulling a bone from his shoulder, but not holding it in a threatening way.
“Why did you help me?” Kimimaro asked Ekyt.
“You’re family, Kimimaro. And now, you can serve Lord Orochimaru longer and better,” Ekyt replied, staring his cousin down. Kimimaro didn’t respond to the stare.
“You have a strange idea of family. I have done nothing for you, and you mean nothing to me. I live to serve Lord Orochimaru. Family…I barely know the meaning, and I know that I don’t need it. Or you. But…I should thank you…for saving me, regardless of whether or not I care that we share a last name and a blood heritage.”
Kabuto joined Ekyt next. “Think of how they treated you. Here, you have family. And, of course, power. I’ve already studied your chakra…the power it holds is unreal. But you don’t know how to unlock it…we can help…”


Finally, Itachi strode over.
“Talking to you won’t do any good. Attacking you while you’re trapped…I could kill you AND your comrade…”
(Shikamaru let go of the Shadow Possession)
Ekyt drew the two swords he had just been given. Automatically, four snakes came from each wrist and wound themselves around the handle of the sword, securing it. Ekyt slashed at Itachi, and cut him through the middle. Then he pressed his hands together.
“Release!” he chanted, ending the REAL Itachi’s attempt at genjutsu. “If that was a clone, and I follow your chakra…” Ekyt threw kunai in five places. Five Itachi’s leapt out, all holding the kunai. They threw them back. Ekyt used his “Dragon’s Encampment Wall” to knock the kunai down.
Meanwhile, Kakashi held Naruto back. “Trust me…you will get a chance to avenge Gaara…but you need to stick with the plan. Understand?” Kakashi looked Naruto in the eyes.
“I…understand.”


Naruto looked at Ekyt. It’s like Sasuke…but there’s still a chance to help Ekyt make the right choice! I can’t let him go to Orochimaru, or the freaks in cloaks! Konoha needs him! I’m a future Hokage, and it’s time I acted like one! And that means getting the others in on my plan!

But before Naruto could, Itachi used an attack that sapped his chakra, but gave him what he wanted.
“I’ve had my Sharingan activated for so long, watching you Konoha ninjas, and you Sound ninjas, that I’ve neglected my chakra. But this should be sufficient…You, Dragon Boy, are feared because of your genjutsu. But until you’ve faced me, you can’t call yourself a master. And you WILL face me now…unless you join the Akatsuki…”
“No,” Ekyt said, gesturing everyone back with his head.
“Ametarasu!” Itachi shot jet-black flames in a circle around him and Ekyt.
“Ordinarlly, that would burn for seven days and nights. But my chakra being so low, I can only manage a couple hours. But that’s plenty of time to kill you.”
Ekyt felt something inside himself. He was ready. He knew it. He felt it.


He was ready to take a man’s life for the first time.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Konohasdarkshadow on February 19, 2008, 4:00:55 PM

Konohasdarkshadow on
Konohasdarkshadowoooooohhhhhh...Ekyts gonna kick Itachi's @$$!

Konohasdarkshadow on February 19, 2008, 4:03:18 PM

Konohasdarkshadow on
Konohasdarkshadowoh and did you get it from Star Trek Generations?...Picard said it...right?

musicismylife on February 15, 2008, 9:35:45 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeoh dear...

hflp on February 7, 2008, 1:56:00 AM

hflp on
hflpWow.