Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - Puppets: Toys Run Amok

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 15 - Puppets: Toys Run Amok

Chapter 15 - Puppets: Toys Run Amok
Ekyt, Tenten, and Lee moved on in silence.
“Neji should have caught up by now…” Tenten said, looking over her shoulder with a worried glance.
“If you DID see an enemy, perhaps we should assist Neji…” Lee questioned. Ekyt shook his head.
“We’re going to get him back. But going back would be walking into a trap. If it caught Neji…” Ekyt didn’t need to finish that sentence. They all knew that if a jonin got caught in a trap like that, they would be easy bait.
“Heads up!” Ekyt called. He was in his ANBU gear. He pushed ahead of the others and drew his sword overhead. He sliced at what appeared to be nothing. But then shreds of what looked like fishing line fell.
“A net? They WERE expecting a trap…” Lee pushed up next to Ekyt.
“Damn! Jump!” Tenten called. The three leapt in separate directions, avoiding the exploding tags that were under their feet.
“Stand back!” Tenten called. She threw a well-placed kunai at a wire she had found. The trap sprung. Inches away from the faces of the three, knives whizzed by.
“Someone’s expecting us…” Lee speculated.
“That, or this village is paranoid. They only have one Shinobi family, and one that’s been falling apart the last generation or so. They need some kind of protection…at this point, one is as likely as the other…I think we’d better hurry. If we do, maybe we can set a few traps of our own before Neji’s captors get there. They’ll be heading back to their village with him, demanding money or information. They’re not getting either, and we’re getting Neji back. We’re going to have our cake and eat it, too,” Ekyt muttered grimly. He didn’t look thrilled at the situation. He was the lowest ranked member, and Neji telling him to lead seemed like a…challenge. But not really a good challenge. It was as if Neji hadn’t been thinking clearly, or he wanted the mission to fail. Ekyt let his mind ponder that as the three continued to press forward. Orders? No, too elaborate…Either way, if I’m the leader, we ARE getting Neji back, jerk or not. Especially for Tenten’s sake. The village needs her, and she needs Neji.



“I refuse, ‘tabeyo!” Naruto was being stubborn. He was doing what came naturally, in other words.
“I don’t like it either Naruto, but there’s no choice…” Sakura tried to smile comfortingly at the new guy, but he was too creepy. She couldn’t even fake it.
Sai kept smiling. It was a misplaced smile, but he was trying. Emotions don’t come easy to someone who has lived for years, training not to show them. The smile didn’t even waver when Naruto circled him, looking him up and down.
“I don’t see the big deal, he’s not so great!” Naruto snorted. Kakashi and Sakura rolled their eyes.
“Yeah, you’re right, I’m no big deal. Just like your dick,” Sai replied. Sakura blushed and stifled a giggle, while Kakashi immediately seized the back of Naruto’s jacket to stop him from attacking.
“WHAT DID YOU SAY?! LEAVE MY DICK OUT OF THIS!!!”
Sakura blushed even more. Naruto, don’t talk so loud!
“Well, now you’re all acquainted. It’s time for a mission, I think. Let’s go see what Lady Tsunade has for us.” Kakashi indicated with his head that his team should follow him.
“Hopefully it’s a better team mate, ‘tabeyo!” Naruto muttered to Sakura.



The village seemed strangely…pleasant.
“Th-there’s nothing wrong here!” Tenten exclaimed.
“You are right! It is peaceful! But why would we be summoned to a peaceful village?” Lee wondered.
Ekyt looked closely at the people walking by. Their faces seemed…wrong…insincere. Like the guy Naruto had complained about. Their smiles were TOO big. And they didn’t waver, at all. Ekyt turned to Lee.
“Lee, attack me. I want to see what the deal is here. Act as though you’ll kill me. If someone puts you in danger, get out of the way. Tenten, you observe. Something isn’t right here.”
As he suspected, nothing happened when Lee attacked. The people kept smiling and moving. Some people even walked by more than once.
“Whatever is wrong, we should see the leader of this place,” Tenten said thoughtfully.
“Yes, this is too strange. Someone must have a controlling effect over these people,’ Lee added.
Ekyt agreed. “It’s most likely the biggest building in the village that we need…that one up on the hill might be it. It looks fortified. Compared to the village itself, it looks impenetrable. And I…wait.” Ekyt saw something new. A tail? On a human? It moved oddly, as though segmented. As if it didn’t have muscle, or bones…
“They’re puppets,” Ekyt muttered. “A bunch of…puppets…”
“Pissed off puppets!” Tenten shouted. The puppets that had been wearing those sickening smiles seconds earlier were now grinning- at Lee, Tenten, and Ekyt. Soon, they swarmed, and piled on. One, with an explosive on it’s back, detonated.
BLAM!!!


Neji woke up, pissed at himself for losing like that. He had gotten jumped. He focused so hard on the far away figure, that the close figure eluded him. Of course, someone he deemed untrustworthy pointed out the problem, that made him look harder. I over looked…how could I fall for that? Now I’m trapped…I hope the others had the good sense not to fall into the same trap. I’ll have to trust that moron for now, and hope that Lee and Tenten are enough to swat any stupid moves on his part. Now, weaknesses…I’m outnumbered, and tied up. Chakra-laced rope. For now, I’d better play their game…in the mean time, I’ll focus my chakra…


Ekyt saw the puppets. As they piled on, he headbutted one, while Lee and Tenten fought wildly. He made handsigns as fast as he could. He saw the one laced with explosives coming and cursed out loud.
“shoot! No choice now! Great Fire Release: Dragon’s Encampment Wall!”
Tongues of fire shot up between Tenten, Lee, and Ekyt, separating them from the puppets. The fire detonated the puppet’s explosive early, saving them. But they were still outnumbered.
“Lee, Tenten, go! Check out the tower! Someone’s controlling these damn things! I’ll hold them off and find Neji!” Ekyt called to the team.
“Right!” Lee said. He didn’t want to leave Ekyt alone, but he knew there was no other choice.
“A-are you sure? There’s so many!” Tenten exclaimed.
Ekyt nodded. He squared off against the puppets. “I’m the only one with the jutsus to handle these wooden bastards. Besides, I made a promise to Neji…go!”



Ekyt used taijutsu as long as he could, but soon learned it was a fruitless battle. These things had to be destroyed to be stopped. If you broke one in half, it continued to attack by biting.
“Shadow Clone Jutsu! Dragon’s Ember Jutsu: Clone Instigation! Dragon’s Path Jutsu!”
While three clones attacked with fire (great for setting pissed-off puppets ablaze), the third jutsu allowed Ekyt to run along the fire. He wanted the high ground. That thought was put to rest when his leg was grabbed. A firm tug sent him spilling to the ground. His clones destroyed the one that had grabbed him, but trying to get back on the fire would be fruitless. It was time to be less subtle. As subtle as an explosion.



Lee and Tenten ran toward the castle, batting aside the occasional puppet. To their surprise, they met little resistance, and met none at the castle doors.
“It is like an invitation…a trap?” Lee said aloud.
“Maybe…should we wait for Ekyt?” Tenten replied.
“If we do not stop whoever is controlling those puppets, Ekyt-san is done for! And we do not know about Neji-san…I believe we should attack, and hope they are both alright!”
At Neji’s name, Tenten agreed. For Neji…Ekyt-kun, you take care of yourself, too…



Neji focused his chakra, and, all at once, released a burst from everywhere!
“What the hell?” his captors had time to say.
“Eight Triagrams two palms..four palms…eight palms…sixteen palms….thirty-two palms…sixty-four palms…one hundred twenty-eight palms!”
In a matter of seconds, Neji had completely ruined his assailants. He left them, barely alive, where they had fallen.
“I hope that things aren’t TOO screwed up. Where would I go if I was my team…Byakugan!” Neji began to scan the horizon. He spotted the castle that Tenten and Lee were at.
“There!” he decided.


Ekyt leapt up high. “Shadow Clone Jutsu!” Three clones accompanied him now. All four were back to back. Exploding tags attached to kunai rained down, numbering fifty in all. They fell in an intricate pattern. From above, Ekyt smiled at his ‘work of art.’ That Deidara clown was right…art IS a bang!
The tags had fallen into the shape of a Konoha Leaf. Ekyt’s clones disappeared as he shouted the order:
“Remote Detonation Jutsu!”
KABLAM!!!
The ground rocked with the force of the explosions. All the puppets that had been attacking Ekyt were in pieces, shattered and charred beyond recognition. Ekyt landed on the ground, paralyzed by a lack of chakra. He still had his stamina. That would have to get him to that castle, at least. Damn it…if Neji hadn’t gotten me riled up, I would have been more careful with my chakra...No, this is my fault, I can’t blame Neji. He is what he is. I got careless. But at least those damn puppets are gone. That, and about 20 meters around them. I’d better leave, quickly. If someone decides to smoke, the residue in the air will light up, big time. I’m not going to be unarmed, though, maybe I can bluff my way out of any trouble if I use those…
Ekyt drew the Striking Serpent Blades from a summoning scroll and ran toward the castle.


Tenten and Lee were just about to go inside when Neji zipped up from one side, and Ekyt from the other.
“You’re both alright!” Tenten exclaimed. Neji didn’t have a scratch on him, and Tenten’s check for poison showed nothing.
Ekyt nodded to Neji, deferring command back to him.
“And why were you not with them?” Neji demanded.
Ekyt narrowed his eyes. “I was fighting…this whole village…puppets. I told them to go ahead. I blew the puppets up.”
Neji stared at Ekyt harshly. “At any rate, we have a mission to complete, and- what the hell?”
The castle doors burst open.
“Heroes!” was the repeated word. These were real people, swamping the four. One man was allowed a path to the front. Everyone bowed in deference to him.
“I am Yugo Akashira, the Elder of these people. You four are responsible for destroying our nation’s defenses…”
“The four of us are not…he is,” Neji pointed at Ekyt.
“I don’t deny it. Your little toys went haywire and attacked,” Ekyt said, his tone both respectful and angry.
“Of course! The puppets were not controlled by us! This castle was our last stronghold. Through the top turret, we saw you (Neji) defeat those oppressing us. The two of you (Lee and Tenten) broke the jutsu on our castle. The jutsu was meant to keep up in, not to keep others out. Your very presence broke it. And you (Ekyt) destroyed the minions of our oppressors. Our message to the Hidden Leaf was received, then. Thank you all for coming. Please, come in, and let our nurses have a look at you.”


The castle was grand, though it was clear it was crowded at the moment. Ekyt was the only one banged up. He was semi-forced into a bed and immediately worked on by two nurses. Lee walked to his bedside, looking disdainfully at Neji.
“All that you have done…and this is how you are repaid. Even though you are not a member of our squad, we should have shared your pain.” Lee shook his head. “It is not right that you are not getting credit. Neji was captured, and you led this mission. He did not. It should be you in his place, taking the payment…”
Ekyt smirked, then sat up. “Neji dislikes me. That’s fine. As long as he can work with me. Besides…I kept my promise to him. ‘If you hurt Tenten, I’ll kill you’, that was what he said. Well, mission accomplished.”


The four traveled back to the Leaf Village, no incidents on the way this time. Ekyt was silent almost the entire trip. His eyes were half-lidded, giving him a Kakashi-ish look. Really, Ekyt was thinking. Something didn’t feel right. But he couldn’t figure out what. It took him the entire trip home to think of what it could even remotely be.
Do I miss…working for others? The Sand Village? Kankuro and Gaara treated me nicely…and the Sound Village…if Orochimaru hadn’t come so close to biting me, I would still be on that mission, digging up info on them. As it is, I almost regret saying anything. I was never mistreated. They kept Chakaro away from me, and I could have learned a lot from Kabuto, and been near my cousin, Kimimaro. Of course, I mean nothing to Kimimaro. And Kabuto…he’s skilled, but you can’t trust him. He’s not above healing his enemies if he respects them, and that sort of honor is rare. And now, where am I? The Leaf Village. I love the people. Tsunade-sama doesn’t like me. I have no team, no sensei, and this is the first mission I’ve had that wasn’t D-ranked, save for that S-ranked infiltration, in a long time. Am I waiting around, hoping for the promotion and love I want? I can’t deny it anymore, I have a lot of regrets. And I deserve most of them…
Neji’s voice broke the silence.
“You will deliver the report to the Hokage-sama. My team and I need to rest,” Neji added the ‘team’ part smugly. Ekyt stared back, his expression unchanged.
“Whatever. I don’t mind,” Ekyt replied. Neji actually turned around and leapt so he was even with Ekyt as they jumped through the trees.
“I expect an accurate report, not some daydream. After all, it’s MY name on this mission. You’re a footnote,” Neji added.
At this, Ekyt turned his head.
“If you say so. Did I mention that Tenten and Lee are talented? You’re lucky to have a squad like that…”
“Hmph,” Neji said.
“You didn’t let me finish,” Ekyt protested, smiling. “You lucky to have a squad like that because they can carry you and make up for your mistakes. I don’t have that luxury. I don’t have the support of a team. Or a sensei. Like I said, you’re lucky.” With that, Ekyt pushed off from the branch, leaving Neji to wonder if he had just been insulted.



There was little time for rest when they got back. For Ekyt, anyway. He delivered his report.
“You did good work. And it’s good to have you back. And I-” Tsunade was cut off in mid sentence. A messenger bird from Sunagakure had flown in and landed on Tsunade’s shoulder. She opened the pouch on it’s leg and read the scroll. Her eyes grew wide.
“Ekyt…Get Team Kakashi! They’ll be meeting at the gates in five minutes! Give this scroll to Kakashi. You’re to accompany them! Don’t ask questions, go!” Tsunade ordered.
“Understood!” Ekyt leapt out the window and took off. He reached into his pouch of tools and popped a rations pill. He needed chakra, and now, if Tsunade’s note was any indication.



Sakura was the one who say Ekyt coming.
“Hey, it’s Ekyt-kun! He’s got something!”
Sai looked up, no readable expression on his face. “So that’s the Dragon Boy…”
Naruto, seeing a chance to annoy Sai, piped up.
“That’s right, ‘tabeyo! And he’ll kick your @$$, so don’t talk about…that again.” Naruto finished lamely.
“Oh, your tiny dick? Don’t worry, I won’t.” Sai was still watching Ekyt and didn’t see Naruto’s fit of anger. Kakashi grabbed him by the back of his jacket and held him still. (I’m gonna kill him, dattebayo! Let go, sensei! He’s talking about my dick again!)


Ekyt was them and came in for a landing.
“For you, Kakashi-sensei! Urgent from Sunagakure!” Ekyt panted, waiting for the rations pill to take effect. He felt his chakra return.
“Ekyt-kun, what happened to you?” Sakura asked as Kakashi read the scroll.
“Little fight…damn puppets, I hate them,” Ekyt muttered. Sakura giggled as she healed a small cut on his cheek.
“I’m sure there’s a great story behind that…” she said. Then she frowned, seeing burn marks on his arms. “You sure you’re okay?”
“I’m alright. Is Sunagakure alright is my worry,” Ekyt replied. He sounded worried. Tsunade was sending him with Team Kakashi, something she had avoided studiously for a long time.
“Ekyt…Naruto…you two are in direct danger, but Tsunade seemed to think you’d ignore orders if they were ‘stay away’. Sunagakure is near collapse from the Akatsuki. Two members. One has puppets, the other explosives. A third is fighting with the Kazekage, and a fourth with Kankuro. Our job is to assist before they fall. Let’s hurry this up…”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment