Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 20 - Chapter 20- Stacked Odds

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 20 - Chapter 20- Stacked Odds

Chapter 20 - Chapter 20- Stacked Odds
Team Kakashi walked in to Tsunade’s office. Upon seeing the two unconscious figures, she immediately called ANBU. Instantly, two agents, and Ibikki Morino were in her office.
“I want information out of Kisame. Anything can help. You have your orders!” Tsunade barked. Ibikki hesitated. He walked over to where Ekyt had been laid, on the floor.
“No damage to his brain…kid’s a fighter,” Ibikki muttered aloud.
“Ibikki…you have your orders…” Tsunade said firmly. Ibikki wheeled around.
“That is one of my students, and a prized member of my unit. Leaving him there without making sure he was okay is not something I am prepared to do. And besides, I think the boy will have a hell of a story for you. Or, at least something to keep your attention. It would be in the best interests of the Village to at least PRETEND you care about his well-being, as he’s got something I think you’ll want.” Ibikki’s glare was enough to make even Tsunade nervous. But at Sakura, he gave a somewhat warm smile.
“I know I’ll be seeing him in my unit again…he’s getting the best care in Konoha, and possibly the world. Not to mention he keeps excellent company.” Ibikki referred to Team Kakashi, and specifically to Sakura’s medical skills, which had undoubtedly helped the boy exponentially. With one last glance at Tsunade, Ibikki left the room, following the ANBU agents.


“Yamato, I want the boy restrained. He is, until his trial, considered a criminal, and dangerous.”
“It…might not be in the best interests of the Village, Lady Tsunade. He holds some very interesting information…or, rather, a very interesting artifact. And if he wakes up in restraints, he might not share it freely. This is very delicate, and I know it’s not my position to speak freely, but this pertains directly to the village.”
Tsunade had enough of this.
“Sakura, wake him up. He can go back to sleep, or whatever after I’ve had my time with him.”
Sakura hesitated. “Tsunade-sama, what about his health?”
“The Village comes first. And he’ll want to hear what I have to say, just as I want to know what he’s got that’s so damn important. Now, wake him up, or I’ll do it, and a LOT less pleasantly.”
Sakura stepped back. Ekyt woke up, and immediately leapt up.


“I’ve heard enough. Tsunade-sama, I’ll give you what I have…but I’m going to make two requests: First, I would like Master Sarutobi present. Second, I want to know- just what is it that is so taboo about me? Why can’t I be promoted, and why am I being treated like crap, when I’ve given nothing but respect?”
Tsunade stared Ekyt down, or tried to. The stoic genin wasn’t budging.
“You’re in no position to ask for anything,” Tsunade countered.
“I think I am. And I will. I have a right to know. At one point, you trusted me, almost to the point of an advisor. Now, I’m being treated like dirt, even though I’ve taken your missions, and done nothing but what’s been asked of me. And, to be honest, I think I’ve gone above and beyond the call of duty Konoha gives me. The hours studying, and the time I’ve spent helping Iruka-sensei. No matter what the information that you are withholding is, if it concerns me, I deserve it.”


No one talked to Tsunade like that. No one. Not even the other Sannin dared to tell her anything like that. But Ekyt had nothing to lose. He had no life to speak of if he didn’t have the village. His parents- alive, but he would put them at risk if he went back to them, until he knew what was going on, at least. And without a wife, or even a girlfriend, all he had was his skills and himself.
How far I’ve come…from being a semi-talented loner to a loner who dares talk to a Sannin in a nasty tone. But I don’t care. If I’m on trial for treason…when the hell did I commit treason? I haven’t told anyone anything! Unless…it has to be. There’s no other option. And if I’m right, I have a choice to make.


“Tsunade-sama, if I’m correct, then I see where you think me a criminal. But I think that I could prove my innocence. But please, just answer this…is the information you’re hiding from me the reason you’ve decided to hate me for the last few monthes? You and I used to be on good terms, until you got this ‘information.’ So, just answer me that: Is it the reason?”
Tsunade nodded. “It proved that you can never trust a samurai,” she shot at him.
“I was right. There are samurai rebelling against the village. (Tsunade’s shock confirms his suspicion) I had nothing to do with it, but telling you that won’t do me any good, will it? I’ll just have to go prove it.”
Tsunade stood up. “Kid…You’ve got guts, but you’ve also got an arrest warrant hanging over your head. I can’t let you go.”
Ekyt lost his cool, finally. But he had his information, so he reached into his pocket.
“THIS is what I thought I would donate to Konoha. As a sign of loyalty. But maybe I’ll just keep it,” Ekyt snarled. Kisame’s ring glinted in his hand.
“I defeat him cleanly, and took his ring. His sword is in the desert, sealed in a scroll by my emotional chakra. If that isn’t showing loyalty to Konoha, I don’t know what is.”



Tsunade’s mouth dropped open in shock. He has Kisame’s ring? I know how important those rings are to the Akatsuki. He knows it, too. He must have thoroughly defeated Kisame. But there’s only one way samurai would attack us. He must have been feeding them information for four years. I want to trust him…but I can’t. The Village comes before friendship. There’s only one way I’ll even consider letting him do this.
“Fne. I’ll allow you to confront the samurai. But I am sending a team of jonin with you. Kakashi, Gai, Asuma, and Sarutobi will go with you. If you try to help the samurai, they are authorized- and they will- kill you.”
Ekyt stood up and starting pacing. “Fine, do whatever you want! Damn it, I need to stop them! This is the only way to clear my name. I’ll either make you believe me, or I’ll die trying.”


Sakura and Naruto were huddled together in a corner with Yamato, talking rapidly, but in low tones.
“How long has Tsunade know of the attack?” Yamato asked Sakura.
“Nearly nine monthes. Which puzzles me. Ekyt was on that insane mission nine monthes ago, infiltrating Orochimaru and the Akatsuki. She wouldn’t have trusted him with a mission like that if she thought he was a traitor. It wasn’t until he got back that she REALLY stopped trusting him.”
“There’s got to be another samurai that would do this!” Naruto exclaimed. Sakura thought for a moment, then got an idea.
“Ekyt! Come here for a minute!”
Ekyt walked over, looking ready to go. It was no secret his honor meant a lot to him. He was ready for a fight.
“Yes?” he asked quickly, as though that would speed up the arrival of the jonin.
“Your rival…that guy that left, Chakaro- was he samurai, too?” Sakura asked.
“Yeah, why?” Ekyt asked. “I trained him…damn it, if I had known what he’d become…”
Sakura grabbed Ekyt around the shoulders.
“He’s behind this! Don’t you see it? A samurai ordered an attack on this village. And if it wasn’t you…that leaves one samurai who would even know where this village is so easily.”
Ekyt’s eyes lit up. Sakura was right.
“Ekyt, I’ll convince Tsunade. Naruto and Yamato, you should take Sai and go with Ekyt. Because I’d bet my headband that Chakaro will be there. And Ekyt needs to be able to concentrate if he’s going to fight him.”
Everyone nodded their agreement. Ekyt gulped, and started to say THAT to Sakura. What he had been trying to say for the longest time. He was in for the fight of his life (and his honor), and if he DID die, he wanted no regrets.
“Sakura, I…” Ekyt shook his head. Damn it damn it damn it! Why can’t I just tell her? Why?
“Thank you for everything, Sakura. Not least of all going to bat for me with Tsunade-sama.”
Sakura smiled at Ekyt. “Just do me a favor- don’t get yourself killed. I’ll be showing up. If you’re wounded, just hang on, alright? I’ve already lost one friend thanks to the Sound Village. I’m not losing another one.”
Ekyt nodded clumsily, then felt another hand on his shoulder.


The jonin stood before Ekyt. Ekyt wasn’t sure what to say, he didn’t know what they thought. But he was soon put at ease.
“We believe you. Now, c’mon, let’s get rid of these pain in the @$$ samurai.” Asuma lit a fresh cigarette.


Chakaro looked up, not surprised to see a pissed-off Ekyt hauling toward him.
“Get him,” he called lazily to the samurai in front of him. They leapt in front to protect him. Chakaro was amazed to see Ekyt didn’t even slow down. Instead, a wooden prison sprang up, engulfing the samurai, save for a few. The solid wood blocked what was happening from view, but Chakaro heard the screams of the samurai. He decided he should fall back.


Ekyt focused his chakra to his feet and ran up the structure, gathering speed.
“Dance of the Sickle Moon!” he called on top of the structure. He and his two copies leapt down, slicing at Chakaro. Chakaro’s skills had grown, he survived the assault with only one cut, and a superficial one.
“You waste your time! You think you’ve gotten stronger? You don’t have a Sannin like Orochimaru teaching you! Your own village disowned you! Linda wouldn’t have you, and Kayla and I left you in the dust. You’re always behind, aren’t you? No matter how hard you try, ‘sensei’, you will NEVER be in the same league as me!”
“If you fight as well as you talk, THEN I’ll worry. You dragged my name through the mud. Now I’m going to plant YOU in the mud, six feet under. Chakaro, I thought a lot over the years. It’s better to end one life, than to let one live while ten others die. If fate selected me to kill you, then I will do it. You’d better pray your Sound Ninja’s can save you, Chakaro. You’ve sold your soul to the devil, in the form of Orochimaru. That’s fine, because it’s your @$$ that I own!”


Ekyt wasn’t sure where this new willingness to kill Chakaro had come from. But over his six monthes of training with Sarutobi, he had heard many stories from the old man. All had been, he later realized, like a puzzle. Ekyt was supposed to put this puzzle together. At the end, all he had figured out was that he was somehow special, his fate was somehow tied to the fate of Team 7, and that if he hoped to save others, he had to learn to kill. He remembered protesting to Master Sarutobi, telling him he could never take a life. The old man had puffed on his pipe for a moment, then set things into perspective.


WHAT WAS SAID:

Sarutobi: Ekyt, if someone came in here, meaning to kill me, would you defend me?

Ekyt: Of course, Master Sarutobi!

Sarutobi: What if the only way to stop this ninja was to kill him? If you broke every bone in his body, he’d come back within weeks to try again. What would you do then?

Ekyt: I couldn’t incapacitate him forever…so I would have to kill…

Sarutobi: (smiles) No one should have to take another’s life. In our world, however, it is necessary. I can see in your eyes, you would never kill- until the circumstances were special enough.

Ekyt: Special? I’m not sure I understand…

Sarutobi: Special. Such as Lee. He has vowed not to use his Lotus techniques unless he is protecting his life, the life of someone precious, or his Shinobi way.

Ekyt: And I’m the same way…is that right?

Sarutobi: Only you know how you feel. But when the time comes to take a life, you will know, Ekyt. But, understand, taking a man’s world from him…it is not so straightforward. By killing him, are you protecting another? Or are you taking his world needlessly?

Ekyt: I think I understand…but I’ll know when the time is right. I’ve felt it once before…against Itachi Uchiha. I would have killed him. All the suffering he’s caused, maybe his death would have brought a measure of closure to the families of those he murdered…maybe even to his brother.

Sarutobi said nothing; he didn’t need to. He smiled understandingly, then handed Ekyt a new scroll and dismissed him.


BACK TO THE PRESENT…


Ekyt had the feeling again. He didn’t want to kill, he had no desire to. But if Chakaro was going to threaten the village he called home, Ekyt would do anything to protect it. Anything. If Chakaro ran, Ekyt wouldn’t pursue him. The way he saw it, his mission was to clear his name and protect his village. Anything aside from that was extra.


Chakaro could instantly sense the change in Ekyt.
It’s scary…he’s improved, and he even called my bluffs. But I started this, and I’m going to finish it. I have my honor, against what Ekyt thinks. If I need to kill him, I’ll do so. And, unlike him, I’ve killed before. It’s almost a sure thing one of us will walk away from here, and the other will be buried here.



The jonin on the other side of the wood prison were leaning against it casually. Asuma was smoking, Kakashi had his book, Gai was glaring at Kakashi for having the gull to ignore one of their contests for a stupid book. Only Master Sarutobi seemed concerned. Maybe the other’s couldn’t sense it, but he felt a change in two chakras. One he recognized as Ekyt’s. The other, he could only tell that it was evil. As long as he heard the sounds of battle and talking, he wouldn’t get involved. As soon as they stopped, or sounded labored, Sarutobi would step it and check on things. Nearing his 70th birthday, he wasn’t in the ideal position for such a fight. But, just as he had defended the village against Orochimaru, so would he defend it, and Ekyt, outmatched or not.
In battle, the only thing that is for certain is that there are no certainties.


Ekyt and Chakaro stared each other down.
“Do you remember, Chakaro, the time when Master Linda rejected me?” Ekyt asked quietly.
“Of course…we were the best of friends…Do you remember when I rejected Kayla, then felt guilty about it?” Chakaro asked, equally quiet.
“I do. You were always stoic, Chakaro. Probably why we got along so well. That’s why I have to ask you…in case one of us DOES die tonight in battle…just what did Orochimaru offer you. That servant of his that came to get you…why you? And what made you leave?”
Chakaro looked up at the sky. It was just starting to darken.
“He offered me power. Abilities I could never even dream of. In exchange, all I had to do…was let myself go. I was to be a temporary host for Lord Orochimaru. But it was you, in fact, that saved me from that fate. The day you sealed his arms and mouth was the day I was to become his new body. But then he decided- no more temporary hosts. Sasuke was going to be his body. But I’ve still earned power. I was gifted with natural ability, as you know. This has been no different.”
Ekyt too looked up at the sky. The rapidly darkening sky was accented by clouds turned purple by the sun setting. One, however, had a silver lining. Ekyt smiled at that.
“I think I can understand now…what my mentors have been saying…what my studies have taught me…a situation is never a forgone conclusion. You’ll always have your natural ability, Chakaro.”
Ekyt stopped there, smiling serenly.
“There was a time we were friends. You chose to end that friendship. You had your reasons Chakaro, and I can finally say this to you: I don’t blame you. You were tempted, and at a young age. Anyone would have taken the bait.”
“You didn’t,” Chakaro pointed out. He had to admit, he was curious as to why.
Ekyt exhaled loudly, the cold night air forming a small cloud in front of him.
“I’ve asked myself ‘why’. I can only find one reason, Chakaro. And, not to be insulting, but it’s one you may have a hard time understanding.”
Chakaro didn’t seem offended. “And what is that?”
Ekyt closed his eyes. “It’s love. A sense of belonging. And even a sense of desire, of something more than power. What good is power if you have no cause to fight for? Now I’ve found my cause, and I’ve sworn to defend it…them…all the people in Konoha…even if it means giving up my life. To love something is to give it up, or so I’m told. I think a greater love is to never let go. When you give up, you let yourself down. I’ve lived a life of self-imposed exile from the world, and I don’t regret it. It’s made me hardened, and jaded. But now, for the first time, I’m experiencing a different type of love, the type parents don’t give you. It’s love of people. Some you know, some you don’t. And it’s loyalty. Loyalty to those people.”
Chakaro shook his head. His greasy black hair moved slightly with the gesture.
“That’s not something I can understand. My parents robbed me of honor before I was born. I’ll never forgive them. And the Leaf Village might have embraced me. I’ll never know. I’ve taken my path. Now, I have a question for you, Ekyt: Did you and Master Linda ever get together?”
Ekyt chuckled. “No. Actually, she’s your greatest rival in terms of wanting to kill me.” Something is strange here…Chakaro is acting like his old self…talking to me, as we used to. Teacher to pupil. Although now, we’re on opposing sides. I don’t want to believe it, but I’m sure- this is a trap. He’s too respectful…unless…no…it can’t be…did…did Orochimaru take over his body? I’ve got to find out…but how? What is something only Chakaro would know? Something that would lure Orochimaru into the open? There’s only one thing I can think of…
“Chakaro, do you mind if introduce you to one of my mentors? Besides, I should say goodbye, in case you DO kill me…”
Chakaro smiled strangely. “Of course.”
“Master Sarutobi!” Ekyt called over the wooden barrier.


“WHAT?!” Chakaro’s body exploded! Orochimaru!
“I thought so! You DIDN’T take over his body, not yet! Chakaro would NEVER talk politely to someone he thought an enemy,” Ekyt shouted.
“Very perceptive. It’s a shame that you’ll die soon…those blades you are holding…they’re poisoned…”
Ekyt looked back dully. “They’ve been detoxed by the best. But, that aside- get out.”
Orochimaru smiled widely. “My, my, such nasty language! Don’t you know I’m your elder? You should talk nicely to me!”
“Scram, shoothead,” Ekyt retorted. He didn’t usually resort to such language, but annoying Orochimaru made it worth it.
“As if I’d deal with you myself. You’re not worth my time. I’ll just let my assistant take care of you…well, one of them. I’ve got so many quality helpers. And you’ve got jonin on the other side of that barricade. The barricade which I’ve sealed. So it looks like you’re alone. While I am not…”


Orochimaru. Kabuto. Chakaro. And…Sasuke.
Then there was Ekyt. For once, his thoughts were despairing.
shoot…this really IS it…I can’t handle Sasuke…I’m not good enough. That Sharingan…if I could focus on him, I could at least hold out until the Jonin and Master Sarutobi broke the seal. But all four of them? I-I never told Sakura how I felt…maybe it’s better that way…if I die, and I HAD told her, she’d feel guilty. She doesn’t need that. No of my friends do. This is MY burden now. Damn it…Well, I guess there’s no choice…I’ve got to break every rule in the book. I’ve got to buy the village time…
Ekyt used a summoning jutsu. His Water Dragon, Umisu, landed on his shoulder. Ekyt patted him, then handed him a small note.
“Go quickly Umisu. Tell them that Orochimaru’s here, and to mobilize the village. And this is for Master Sarutobi…I’ll miss you, Umisu.” Ekyt petted him again. He wasn’t afraid of dying. He was afraid of not detaining the enemy long enough to save the village. The village was unaware that Orochimaru was involved. They had to find out.


Master Sarutobi read his note, and immediately knew that Ekyt was in major trouble. The note was elegant in it’s simplicity, and it made the old man think.
All this note says… “Thanks for everything.” He’s fighting someone he didn’t plan on. Curse my age…But no matter. He’s my student. And I need to take matters into my own hands. The others will have to get by the barrier if I can break Orochimaru’s seal from the other side. For now…
Sarutobi ripped off his robe, revealing his black, fighting attire. (As seen in Naruto, when he fights Orochimaru at the chunin exams)
…I’m all the boy has…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on February 24, 2008, 4:28:05 AM

hflp on
hflpThis is not going to end well.