Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 21 - Accepting Pain

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 21 - Accepting Pain

Chapter 21 - Accepting Pain
WHAT?!” Tsunade thundered. “Get ANBU moving! Shizune, you and Tonton alert the Village. I don’t want to trust them, but send a messenger to Sunagakure!”
Underneath all the chaos, Tsunade thought to herself: Damn…If Ekyt dies, it’s my fault for not trusting him…and now that I think of it, he’s deserving of trust. Well, it’s time to do what a Hokage does best- protect the village!


The Leaf Villagers that weren’t Shinobi took cover in their houses or businesses, boarding up their doors and windows. Mothers hurried their children along, until the streets eventually emptied. Hiashi Hyuuga and the other parents of the current generation of Shinobi hurriedly donned their battle gear and secured the perimeter of the village.
“Just like the good ol’ days!” commented Shikaku Nara.
“You said it,” Akimichi rumbled. He had already used his expansion jutsu.
“Well, at least my daughter isn’t in combat this time. That girl worries me sick!” Inoichi Yamanaka complained.
“Are you STILL dogin’ over having a daughter? Hey, at least your son won’t be tied down to someone woman’s apron strings. Your daughter will be calling the shots!” Shikaku shot back, earning a laugh from his two comrades.
“InoShikaCho rides again!” Inoichi declared. The three hadn’t lost a step, as they soon began showing the Sound Ninja just what they were capable of. As the three guarding the gate, the most obvious entrance, the Sound Ninja were having a hell of a time trying to get through the gates. They were either stomped, had their minds destroyed, or their shadows turned against them.


At the gates, Ibikki Morino, Anko Mitarashi, Hayate Gekko, and Genma Shiranui moved forward, taking out some of the stealthier forces.
“Come on, at least make a real effort!” Anko taunted after snaring another luckless Sound Shinobi with the Striking Shadow Snakes.
Hayate used his “Dance of the Crescent Moon”, while Genma smirked and spat out the senbon clenched between his teeth. In the mean time, Ibikki had used the distraction to use a powerful genjutsu. Three more down.



“You’re trying your luck again, old man? You won’t get away alive this time!” Orochimaru declared to Sarutobi.
“I’m afraid I’m not the main course, Orochimaru. But I have my student to think of!”
Orochimaru and Sarutobi were in close combat, both conserving chakra. Eventually, they resorted to grappling. For the moment, they were evenly matched. “What makes this brat so special?” Orochimaru spat.
“You are unaware, Orochimaru. His fate is tied with that of Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura. You have, no doubt, heard the prophecies of the next “Legendary Sannin?”
“Of course, you feeble old fool! What has that to do with this pathetic samurai?” Orochimaru snarled, attempting unsuccessfully to reach around Sarutobi’s head to pull him down into some sort of knee-elbow combo.
“That young man has given his life to the village. He’s been given access to records and books allowed only to jonin, and in some cases, only Hokage. All for the purpose of learning. Few know what he’s learned, and even fewer realize he may very well know- thought he’s not able to perform them- as many jutsus as I have. You know that I am called “Professor”…With no prompting, and little support, Ekyt Kaguya has read almost everything he could find in the Leaf Village. One night, I asked him to show me his scroll. I remember how much he worried that I might turn him in. It contains jutsu forbidden to genin. Even I marveled at the contents of the scroll. Even if Ekyt Kaguya never leaves the genin rank behind, he will have been one of the finest jonin the Leaf Village has ever had.”



For nearly an hour’s time, Ekyt and Chakaro traded jutsus and strikes, neither gaining the upper hand for long. Both their chakras were exhausted. The outcome would be decided by one strike of a kunai. Both leapt, leaving defense on the ground. Both stabbed directly for the heart. It was a question of which kunai would reach first.
When it became apparent Ekyt’s kunai would strike first, Chakaro did the unthinkable. It seemed as though the world faded to black and white. Time stood still for everyone, except Ekyt and Chakaro. Ekyt didn’t see what Chakaro was doing until it was too late. His eyes widened, his mouth dropped open in shock. His own kunai changed direction, in an attempt to stop this new crisis.
It was too late. As soon as Chakaro saw he was beaten, he plunged a kunai into his stomach. It sank in handle-deep. In an eerie moment, his teeth already red from internal bleeding, Chakaro smiled at Ekyt. The kunai sank deeper as the two combatants began to fall back to the ground. Ekyt’s eyes flickered with shock and…sadness. He found that, no matter what Chakaro had done, this seemed wrong. Ekyt’s kunai stayed in his hand, his arms still in a guard, but his eyes couldn’t leave the kunai in Chakaro’s stomach. Until he spoke, Ekyt was frozen.
“I’ve never lost in a death match, Ekyt…I’ll die by my hand, not yours.” The now-red teeth smiled once more. The triumphant smile when he had gotten his black belt…when he had kissed Kayla…when he had overtaken his teacher, Ekyt- or so he thought. Now that smile was meant only for himself, payment for a job well done.
With that, Chakaro slumped to the ground. He lay face down, unmoving, in the dirt path just meters away from the Village Hidden in the Leaves. After four years of fighting and training as a Shinobi, and after six years of knowing Ekyt, Chakaro Tamaki took the path of death, of suicide, rather than die by another’s hand.
It was surreal. Ekyt felt hands moving him away from the corpse. He was too much in shock to resist them. He recognized the chakra, and didn’t sense the threat, so he didn’t even fight. He couldn’t take his eyes away. It was like a car accident- you didn’t WANT to look, but you HAD to.
“Come on. You don’t need to be here. You didn’t do it. Come on,” came the gentle voice of Shizune. But Ekyt pulled away.
“Chakaro…” Ekyt could feel tears welling up. “We’ve been enemies…for so long. And our final battle…it ends like this. I had always hoped I could make you see things the correct way. That I could somehow change your mind. Enemies or not, Chakaro, you never forget your first student. Now I’ve made Kayla a widow, all because…”
But Ekyt couldn’t finish the sentence. He hadn’t killed Chakaro, Chakaro had killed himself. Then why did he feel responsible?
Because I led him to kill himself…I defeated him, something he couldn’t live with. I’ve taken the life of a man without ever bloodying my own hands…Chakaro, Rest in- What?”
Ekyt pushed Shizune back. Hundreds of serpents devoured Chakaro’s body. Shizune, who had been worried about Ekyt, was now worried about what was going on. This was wrong, in so many ways. Snakes, coupled with Orochimaru, always meant a problem.
The snakes came together, forming a tall shape. When Ekyt saw what was going to happen, he warned Shizune to get out of the way. But he didn’t need to. Instead of the snakes attacking, they formed one giant snake. Ekyt’s mouth dropped open as the snake shed it’s skin.
Chakaro.
Chakaro, who had been laying still, opened his eyes, his cuts healed.
“I’m glad that jutsu worked, I would have REALLY died. Now you can understand why I chose Lord Orochimaru. Too bad my chakra’s gone. From the look on your face, I could kill you with the weakest of my jutsus. Well, perhaps I can anyway. Or I can make a request.”
Too late, Ekyt realized what was going to happen. A snake bit him on the ankle. Immediately, his vision blurred and his legs went numb. Master Sarutobi used a fire jutsu to back Chakaro off, then immediately called for Sakura.
“The poison is already advancing. Sakura, he’s only got minutes, and you’re his only chance. I’ll make sure you get the time,” Master Sarutobi said over his shoulder.
Sakura already had Ekyt laying down, his headband removed and replaced with a washcloth. Her green healing chakra wasn’t strong enough to remove the poison, but she stopped it from spreading. But a lot of Ekyt was infected by the venom. Sakura was ready to give up. Lady Tsunade couldn’t have pulled it off, with her fear of blood. No matter what, she still had that fear. Sakura’s fear was of losing a patient.
Or a friend. I lost Sasuke to the Sound Village…and now Ekyt…why does everyone I care about die? Naruto’s fighting Sasuke…I never thought I would hope Naruto would defeat Sasuke. But when he promised me he’d bring Sasuke back, and he couldn’t, it ate at him. Just like this death will eat at me. Ekyt, I’m so sorry…Please, just let go, it won’t be painful…I can’t watch you suffer…
Sakura’s tears stained Ekyt’s blood-splattered vest. In the reflection of one tear, Sakura saw herself, as a younger kunoichi. Watching. Just watching while Naruto and Sasuke risked their lives. Then she went back even farther, seeing herself crying because she was being bullied. She saw Ino step up and tell the bullies to back off.
I was always in the back…even now that I’m talented as a medic, it seems like I can’t do anything to help anyone. I’ve healed cuts, but I’ve never saved a life. Only one, really…and that was Ekyt. Naruto heals himself, and he needs me for support. He hates to lose teammates just as much as I do…how hard he worked to get Ekyt free in the Sand Village when those rocks trapped him…He didn’t quit. I can’t either! Ekyt told me once that I was strong, stronger than any kunoichi he’s ever known. I’ve never heard a lie pass his lips. If he meant it, then I’m not going to make a liar out of him. Now, think. Antidote…no time, no ingredients. Jutsu? Advanced poison removal…it’ll drain me of chakra…and even then, there’s no guarantee it’ll work…but if I start it, Tsunade-sama or Shizune-sensei could finish it. I’ve got to try, at least!



Naruto’s Rasengan had hit home, but Sasuke shook his head. POOF! Shadow Clone.
“You’re still a loser…you thought us friends, brothers…If you still think of me that way, you’re a fool. I have one brother, and he will soon be dead. But if you continue to get in my way, I’ll kill you.”
“You keep talking, Sasuke! I swore I’d bring you back to the Village, even if I had to break your body to do it! I’m not the same punk you used to spar with! You started to fight me as a real ninja! I’ve always wanted to fight you, and now I’ve got my chance! I’m not going to blow it! I’ve waited too long. I’m going to show you that I’m NOT a loser, I’m NOT a reject, and that I CAN win! BELIEVE IT!”
“Fireball Jutsu!” Sasuke called.
“Shadow Clone Jutsu!” Naruto replied as he dodged the fireball. The fireball started a small fire. Two Leaf Ninja who were skilled with water put the fire out. The village was now fully engaged in combat with Orochimaru’s followers. The Sound Ninja hadn’t had time to prepare, thanks to Ekyt and the jonin advancing so quickly. Ekyt’s message had reached Tsunade.

Four of Naruto leapt around Sasuke. Thanks to his Sharingan, Sasuke could tell which Naruto was the real one. That was, in fact, what Naruto was banking on. The last time they fought, Sasuke aimed for the clones first. If he stayed true to form, Naruto was ready.
Sasuke didn’t. Instead, he floored the REAL Naruto with a tooth-jarring punch. Naruto went sailing and landed near Ekyt and Sakura.



Sakura finished the jutsu. She was so exhausted…but she had done it. Ekyt would feel a little dizzy, but the poison was gone. The Third Hokage had ran Chakaro off, and was fighting Orochimaru. He was really exerting himself, and Sakura worried for his health. But soon, Lady Tsunade would be here, and she would fight Orochimaru instead. Things were going as well as they could, under the circumstances.
Ekyt stirred and sat up. It was clear that he wasn’t quite aware of everything yet. He mumbled something. Sakura only caught one word.
“Thanks.”
She gave him what she hoped was a comforting smile (She couldn’t tell at this point, everything ached) around the panting she was doing from using so much chakra. She saw a change in Ekyt’s face. It was a look of horror and…something. What was it? Anger? Frustration.
Determination.



Naruto started to get up, when he heard the sound of birds chirping.
shoot! Chidori! He’s too close, I’ll never get out of the way in time! C’mon fox! Gimme your chakra!



Ekyt got unsteadily to his feet. He grabbed the back of Naruto’s jacket, then put a hand on his neck. He was about to break a rule by using a forbidden jutsu, but he either didn’t care, or wasn’t aware.


Sasuke saw Ekyt grab Naruto. “I can just kill you both at once. You’re making it easier!”
“You’ll never get to him!” Naruto shouted back. Ekyt said nothing. He was either incapable of speech, or was concentrating. It soon became apparent which was the case.


Naruto felt a second chakra. But this one was…blue…and it felt weird. It wasn’t the fox. He had sensed the chakra before. Then he knew. He practiced that jutsu with me and my clones…but he’s never done it like this before!


“Voluntary Pain Acceptance Jutsu!” Ekyt called, coughing blood on himself as he spoke. He had activated his Emotional chakra. This jutsu was one of his own design. It allowed him to accept pain and injury on behalf of someone else. He could take half the pain and accept it into his own body, to save someone else from injury or death.


“Chidori!” Sasuke drove his hand home just as Ekyt called the jutsu.
Naruto cried out in pain. But only a burn mark appeared on his chest. Behind him, he heard another sound of pain. Ekyt had a burn mark as well. The jutsu had worked. Ekyt accepted the pain, and saved Naruto’s life. But in his weakened state, between the damage using his Emotional chakra did, and the power of the Chidori, adding in the effects of the poison, Ekyt’s body was being pushed to it’s limits.


Naruto felt the hand fall off his neck. He turned around to see Ekyt, face-down, Blue chakra receding, arm still extended. Naruto felt it. The demon fox. The anger of a dead comrade had done it. Three tails grew out of him as he dropped to all fours, snarling at Sasuke.
“You bastard!” Naruto raced toward Sasuke, who was still recovering from the Chidori. Naruto simply opened his mouth and howled. Pure chakra sent Sasuke sailing a hundred meters away. Naruto ran after him, a fourth tail growing. Naruto had little control over his body now (His control has improved), but all he knew now was one thing:
Get Sasuke.


Sakura cursed herself. I AM too weak! Ekyt just risked everything! I can’t help him, my chakra is gone! Damn it! Why am I so useless?! No matter how hard I work, it’s never enough!
Sakura felt a hand push her away.
“I’ll heal the kid. Sakura, you go with Shizune. Take a ration pill and tend to our wounded. We’ve almost turned back the invasion, now that two of Orochimaru’s subordinates are gone. I’ll join the fight in a minute to relieve Master Sarutobi. Right now, I’ve got a pervy Samurai to save.”
Tsunade knelt down next to Ekyt and got to work…



OKAY, DID I LOSE YA WITH ALL THAT? HERE’S WHAT’S HAPPENING!

NARUTO UZUMAKI IS FIGHTING SASUKE UCHIHA
SARUTOBI IS FIGHTING OROCHIMARU
TSUNADE DEFEATED KABUTO YAKUSHI
EKYT DEFEATED CHAKARO TAMAKI

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on March 8, 2008, 10:20:43 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifewow. awe.some.

hflp on February 26, 2008, 12:17:25 AM

hflp on
hflpThat was awesome.