Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 25 - Living alone, Trapped Inside

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 25 - Living alone, Trapped Inside

Chapter 25 - Living alone, Trapped Inside
Tok tok tok tok. (Sound of running, echoing footsteps). The landscape was a blur as Ekyt ran. The hallway was industrial metal on all sides. Machines spitting steam shot out, create small welts on his skin. But Ekyt knew he had to keep going.
He HAD to.
Ekyt stopped, a giant blue flame in front of him. He immediately knew what it was.
“It’s you. My chakra…” Ekyt held out his hand. His own chakra turned on him. It burned his hand. Ekyt could only stare, open-mouthed, as the chakra became the clone of him again. They were standing in what appeared to be a warehouse. Some rays of light shone in through windows, but they were mere slits.
Suddenly, Ekyt could FEEL again. That’s when his clone spoke.
“That’s right. I gave you your emotions back. But I belong to a more powerful vessel now, I have no need for you! Pathetic, weak, flesh being.”
Ekyt felt a tear in his eye. Angrily, he brushed it aside.
“No…you’ve belonged to me for 19 years! You still belong to me!” Ekyt declared. The clone sneered. Ekyt held his ground, but he was scared, make no mistake.
“Yeah, right? Who’s been in charge all this time? You, or me? Your emotions, your anxiety, or…you? You know the answer, don’t you?! You could NEVER rule me! You could never lead me, and you’ll never lead anyone else, you hopeless little genin! I’ve owned your body since you were born! I was fated to own you!”
Ekyt stepped up to the chakra clone. “Maybe you’re not hearing me. I SAID- I own you! Now, either come home, or I’ll destroy you!” Ekyt held a kunai to the clone, but it just melted away. That’s when Ekyt felt a kunai at his neck.
“Really? Then how come you never told Sakura, or Temari, how you feel about them? Or you never REALLY went to bat for yourself. You were always too scared. You pathetic little coward!”
The clone drew the dagger across Ekyt’s neck.



Ibikki cursed. “shoot! I told you, lay off a little bit, you stupid sons of doges!”
“Sorry sensei!” Three ANBU members bowed their apoligies. Ibikki got down next to Ekyt. He put a little chakra into Ekyt, to wake him up. When he did, the kid was still unreadable.
“Those idiots overdid it…again. You should rest. Your mind is nearing it’s limits,” Ibikki told Ekyt.
“One more time. I’ll throw it off. I have to be stronger. If this is all I’ve got, then I need to be the strongest. I don’t have my second chakra to use anymore. I’ve upped all my training. Genjutsu is my greatest weapon.”
Ibikki didn’t show his worry, although he suspected he should. But that wasn’t his nature. After a moment of grappling, he put his foot down.
“Ekyt, no more today. You threw off two genjutsus at once. I don’t know ANYONE who could throw off three. Save your chakra for ninjutsu. Genjutsu is already your specialty, now hone your other skills. ANBU interrogation isn’t going anywhere. I don’t care if you’re a genin or not, or whether or not you officially work for me. You have a place in ANBU.”


Ekyt saw the sad looks he received. But as soon as Naruto walked by, the sad looks turned to joyous looks. Naruto finally was a hero, a trustworthy Shinobi. Ekyt, if he could have felt it, would have felt jealously, but also pride, for his friend. Everyone had their lucky breaks, and their bad breaks. Ekyt just needed to work harder. That scroll wasn’t going to solve itself. Ekyt soon realized he couldn’t solve it by himself. He didn’t know enough. All the studying in the world didn’t help if you were missing one key bit of information.
Maybe it was that, or the fact that Ekyt was getting tired of the looks and whispers that followed him everywhere. Even Tsunade was treating him like a human being. It was unnerving. This was the treatment he wanted once he was a tried-and-true warrior. Not because people felt bad for him. He didn’t want pity. So there was only one thing left to do.

Ekyt went into seclusion again, this time actually living with Master Sarutobi. He had questions, and he also knew Master Sarutobi could help him figure out the scroll. Parts of it were nearly indecipherable. One night, about a week after Ekyt began his stay at Sarutobi’s, Ekyt asked him one question that was burning in his mind.
“Master? I have a question about my emotional chakra…”
Sarutobi looked up from the scroll, then gestured for Ekyt to continue.
“Is it a crutch? Using that chakra, I mean? Is it somehow ‘cheating’ to use it? It seems like an advantage. I know it’s not ill-gotten, and I don’t use it regularly, but still…”
Sarutobi seemed amused by the question, as if he knew it was coming. Rich tobacco smoke left his pipe in swirls, hitting the ceiling, then dissipating in the large room. Ekyt had vaguely worried the rice paper walls would catch on fire, but reasoned that if Master Sarutobi was willing to risk it, well, they both knew jutsus that could put out the fire.
“I was wondering when you were going to ask,” Sarutobi muttered with a half-smile. “You’re guilt ridden at the best of times, and I know honor means a great deal to you. That’s why you refused the rank of chunin- twice. Something you’ve wanted for so long. So, in turn, allow me to ask you- do you consider using Sharingan, or Byakugan, a natural ability, cheating? Does Naruto cheat because he has a jutsu that is unique to him?”
Ekyt shook his head. “No.”
“You have been gifted with a miraculous kekkaigenkai. You weren’t blessed, at least not to anyone’s knowledge, with the Kaguya’s bone kekkaigenkai. To NOT use such an ability would be a waste. And you use it honorably, not something everyone can lay claim to.”
Ekyt nodded this time. “I see your point. It was given to me for a reason. Master…I’m going to take it back. I want my emotions back, but the last thing I want is the Akatsuki to have my chakra like that. I want…need it back. Or I need to destroy it. Either way, the Akatsuki can’t have it.”
Sarutobi nodded sagely. “And, when the time comes, I will show you at least one jutsu that will help you. For now, we need to finish this scroll. The first step is to get your emotions back. If I’m correct, your chakra would need the emotions as ‘fuel’. It seems that the Blue Flame is inaccessible unless your emotions are particularly powerful. To even access it, you need your emotions to exist.”
Ekyt nodded again, and they went back to work on the scroll. At least four other scrolls surrounded the two on the hardwood floor, all reference material on the Akatsuki and extraction jutsus. They were almost to the end of the scroll, and so far Ekyt didn’t have to do anything major. Blood tribute, jutsu, etc.



Naruto and Sakura waited for Tsunade to return from whatever she was doing. They knew something was up. Shizune was all smiles. Once Kakashi, Sai, and Yamato joined them, Naruto and Sakura were a combination of curious and worried. Good or bad, something big was happening. Naruto began to fidget.
“Sakura, what do you think this is about?” Naruto whispered.
“I wish I knew. The suspense is killing me,” Sakura replied.
Finally, Tsunade walked in. She sat down, made herself comfortable, then spoke.


A knock came at the door. Ekyt got up and answered it, so Master Sarutobi could stay sitting. He would have been surprised, if he could feel anything.
“Master Jiraiya. It’s good to see you,” Ekyt said tonelessly. He’s not aware of what’s happened. Or perhaps he is…if he’s been watching the Akatsuki, he’ll know what they did.
“Well, I had to return your summon to you. Shuurai here did a great job. The ring is sealed away safely from the Akatsuki. Now, Master Sarutobi summoned me- here, hold these, will ya kid- thanks. Ah, there he is!”
Ekyt was laden down with books and scrolls. One page flipped open. Ekyt REALLY didn’t want to be touching these right now. The contents were questionable, to say the least. God knows where Master Jiraiya found this stuff…I’m glad he does and I don’t…Orders are orders, I guess…

“Ah, Jiraiya! I’m glad you could come! You really are our best hope here. Please, sit down. Ekyt, if you don’t mind, the red bottle, and the blue one. It’s not often Master Jiraiya stops by!”
Ekyt put down Jiraiya’s things and went to grab the bottles. Then he realized he had no idea where they were. Perhaps that was the point. They need to discuss something without me in the room.

Jiraiya and Sarutobi spoke quickly.

Sarutobi: You witnessed it? The extraction?
Jiraiya: Yeah…
Sarutobi: And you couldn’t have interfered?
Jiraiya: No…It would have given me away, and the information I’m getting is too valuable to stop collecting.
Sarutobi: I see…I’m sure Ekyt would understand. Now, Jiraiya, this scroll is an instruction list as to how Ekyt gets his emotions back. But his intention is to go after the Akatsuki and get his chakra back.
Jiraiya: That’s a tall order…he’d have to have something the Akatsuki wanted. And a way to escape quickly once he got what he wanted. The Akatsuki would kill him as soon as he was done ‘bartering’ with them. They might not even wait until he was done bartering.
Sarutobi: I believe the two of us could help him with those jutsus. And the only thing the Akatsuki want…is that ring.
Jiraiya: I’ve almost figured out WHY they want them so back so bad if they’re lost. I need a little more time.
Sarutobi: Take the time you need. Ekyt will need a period of at least one week to get his emotions back. That time, coupled with the time it will take him to master the necessary jutsus should be time enough.
Jiraiya: (nods) Right. I won’t take too long, I’m close to solving the mystery. It has something to do with the abilities locked away within the rings.
Sarutobi: Abilities? Such as?
Jiraiya: They’re all jonin, the Akatsuki. But something makes them MORE powerful than other jonin. And I’d bet it’s those rings, and the jutsu contained within them.
Sarutobi: Let’s discuss this later…while I’m thinking of it, however- is there a way to ‘fake’ the ring, jutsu and all?
Jiraiya: Once I figure out what makes it tick, I can fake it. We pass a false one to Ekyt, so even HE doesn’t know. He gives them the fake, runs for it, and we regroup. They’ll mobilize soon…they’ve almost got enough money to start bribing some of our less trustworthy advisors. Danzou, for starters. I’m watching him.
Sarutobi: We need Ekyt on our side if this is the case. He has abilities the others don’t. I don’t know if he’ll ever be ‘legendary’, but the vigor with which he defends those he cares about, coupled with his skills…they could help determine our village’s fate.
Jiraiya: So how long has he had his eyes on Tsunade’s apprentice? (Leaning against the wall)
Sarutobi: How long have you been peeping on Sakura? (flatly)
Jiraiya: It’s only research! She’s a beautiful young specimen! And if Ekyt DID object, maybe he’d be interested to know that my next book is a ‘what if’ that stars him and Sakura!
Sarutobi: You can’t be serious, Jiraiya…(sweatdrop)
Jiraiya: Oh, but I am! I’m calling it “Makeout- Unlikely” It’s all about a clueless guy and a cute girl. Those two are perfect! I couldn’t GET better models! I can’t wait until I put that feisty blonde girl with the fan into the mix. Hehehe, TWO beautiful women! One that treats him like a little brother, and another that’s just too good for him! Or that’s how HE sees things! I can’t wait! He’ll love it!
Sarutobi: I suppose I can’t deny that. But still…never mind. I know I couldn’t sway you, Jiraiya. Now, Ekyt’s coming back. Talk with us- anything you can tell us.


Sakura and Naruto listened to their mission. Sai was also involved.
“Your mission is to keep an eye on suspected conspirators. The list: Elder Danzou, Elder Uroko, Ekyt Kaguya, P-”
“Hold it! EKYT? YOU SUSPECT HIM, OF ALL PEOPLE?!” Naruto thundered.
“He doesn’t agree with me. I’ve got to go with my gut.”
“No joke. It gets bigger every day, just like your nose with lies!” Naruto shot back. “How can you treat him this way, ‘tebayo? He’s done nothing but serve the village.”
Kakashi, while he agreed, had to shut Naruto up before Tsunade killed him.
“Naruto, come with me. Sakura, maybe you’d better come, too. Sai, you take notes for all of us.”


Outside, Kakashi laid down the truth for them.
“Tsunade considers him a threat because of how hard he’s worked. She’s worried he’s lost it mentally. And, well…she doesn’t trust samurai. So Ekyt being promoted isn’t likely while she’s Hokage. Unless he does something incredible, he’ll stay a genin. We’ve all reasoned with her. If it weren’t for that stubborn Ebisu, we could overthrow her. But Ekyt would refuse the rank anyway.”
“Maybe not. If Tsunade considers him a threat, she has to believe in his abilities. If Ebisu agreed, that would do it, I bet! Ekyt would go for that!” Sakura was excited about it. That’s when she was summoned by Temari and Tenten. To her surprise, Ino was also there.
Kakashi closed his eyes. “Well, I guess I’ll just have a little chat with Ibikki and Ebisu. Maybe, between Ibikki and I, we can ‘convince’ Ebisu that Ekyt is worthy to be a chunin.”
Naruto, of course, wanted to be involved.



“Listen, Sakura, I know we’ve had our differences, but you’ve GOT to believe me here: DON’T trust Sasuke. Even I don’t want him,” Ino began.
“You’d be much better off with someone else,” Tenten added gently.
“Yeah, it’s not like you don’t turn your share of Shinobi heads. I can name at least two, but I don’t believe in stating the obvious,” Temari said bluntly.
“Don’t worry,” Sakura told them, “I’m really not after Sasuke as anything more than a friend. I don’t know where my eyes are right now. There are other options. I’ll know the guy when I see him.”
Temari leaned on her fan, smirking. “Well, hurry up and pick. ‘Cause I think I’m going to be picking one pretty soon here myself, and it would really suck if we wound up fighting over the same guy, wouldn’t it?”
Sakura rolled her eyes. “When I pick, you’ll all know- as soon as I tell him,” Sakura added with a laugh.



Ekyt went over the scroll with the Jiraiya and Sarutobi. At the end of the scroll, Ekyt’s pale face went even more pale.
“I can’t do that,” he told them, holding the scroll out.
“Betray your village and everyone you hold dear…” Jiraiya recited.
Sarutobi re-read the sentence. He couldn’t see a hidden meaning.
“My emotions don’t mean more to me that the village, and the people in it. I could never sell them out. I’d rather stay emotionless, if that’s how it is,” Ekyt said quietly. He stood up, visibly shaken. Then he continued.
“But the Akatsuki can’t have that chakra. I’m taking it back, or I’m destroying it. It’s not a power I’m willing to let them have.”
Sarutobi and Jiraiya nodded to each other.
“We agree. And we have a plan. But you need to learn a special jutsu with your one of your summons,” Jiraiya told Ekyt.
“And a new genjutsu that I never dreamed I would be teaching a genin. But if you’re facing the Akatsuki, it’s necessary…”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment