Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 27 - A Harsh Reality

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 27 - A Harsh Reality

Chapter 27 - A Harsh Reality
Sasuke counted the days until he was to face Itachi.
On the anniversary of the day he killed our entire clan. How could he do it? Wasn’t Father more powerful? Didn’t anyone oppose him? And why? Why did he kill them, and leave me alive? I got in the way…I begged him to stop…
No. I only cried. I was young, but that shouldn’t have mattered. I should have fought him, even if it meant dying.

Sasuke walked around the dojo. It was still untouched. A plaque on the outside had read “A memorial to one of Konoha’s finest clans”. The police tape was still up, after all this time, all these years. Sasuke still remembered seeing it for the first time, not believing his whole family was gone, just like that.
The village coddled me…cared for me. But I didn’t have any love in me to give back. I have lived only for revenged, and to restore the Uchiha clan. But I need to love to restore the clan. After I kill Itachi, maybe I’ll feel love.
Sasuke made his way into the gym, then lifted up the mat that led downstairs, the place that held the Uchiha clan’s greatest secrets. The Sharingan, and the Mangekyo Sharingan. There was the Phoenix Fire Jutsu, and even…Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu.
My brother’s specialties…Maybe there’s a clue as to how to defend against them…of course not. The Uchiha clan never counted on fighting other Sharingan. But knowing it…knowing it might be enough to learn how to fend it off. Itachi was full of crap, I don’t need to kill my best friend to get the Mangekyo Sharingan. The answers have been here the whole time. I need to develop…what? That can’t be right! Itachi never…
Sasuke read the scroll again, making sure the weak candle light wasn’t playing tricks on his eyes.
To develop the Mangekyo Sharingan, one must obtain a true Shinobi’s path through honest skill assessment. Skill assessment? That’s what Itachi told me! That was why he killed the entire clan. Maybe defeating his best friend wasn’t enough. Only the clan as a whole could rival his skill. So, if I defeat Itachi, I’ll have earned the Mangekyo Sharingan. He’s the only one who’s a true match for me…except for Naruto…and Ekyt. My Sharingan can almost see chakra, and it can easily sense power. Those two have it. If I can develop the Mangekyo Sharingan before I meet my brother, then he’ll have no advantage…
Sasuke left the hidden area. He walked down to his old room, finding it to be the same, albeit a lot more dusty. It’s walls had always been empty, except for the Uchiha Clan Symbol painted on the wall. Sasuke could see some dried blood on the symbol. It was a strangely comforting scene. Sasuke imagined it SHOULD have been disturbing. After a brief nap, he walked down the outside corridor, out to the pond, where he had learned the Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu. That jutsu had marked his entry into adulthood in the eyes of his clan. It was also a memory for the unusually sentimental Sasuke.
Where, for the first time, Father spoke kindly to me, as if I were an equal to Itachi. Did he know all this would happen?
Sasuke, for old times sake, made the hand signs (Horse, Tiger) “Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu!”
An enormous flame shot out across the pond. It held for fifteen seconds, before Sasuke ended the jutsu. As the fire died, Sasuke saw his reflection in the water. For the first time in years, Sasuke sat down to re-examine his life. Had he been wrong?
If I fight Naruto, or Ekyt, I WILL win, and I’ll have earned my Mangekyo Sharingan. Itachi, the price you’re going to pay for what you did is death! Then the Uchiha clan can be born anew, with a clean slate!



Ekyt, who had taken lead, stopped. The Akatsuki base was in view. And Ekyt saw- his chakra! He saw a yellowish-aura around it. A protection seal.
“Go get it. We’ll cover you. Sakura, you stay slightly behind Ekyt. Yamato, Sai, you take the right. I’ll handle the left. No matter what, we all leave alive. No one gets left behind. No one dies.” Kakashi spoke gravely. Ekyt nodded.
“Thank you…all of you…if I can’t get my chakra, I’m going to destroy it. No matter what, all of you go home. I’m not going back without my chakra. It’ll either be mine again, or I’ll destroy it.” With that, Ekyt took off, using the Body Flicker Jutsu to reach the chakra. He looked around, wondering what security measures the Akatsuki had put up.
“One more thing- I don’t know how I’ll react to having my emotions again. If I become a detriment to any one of you- kill me, or leave me here.” Ekyt’s voice left no room for argument.
“Shadow Clone Jutsu,” Ekyt called, upon seeing the four-seal barrier. Three clones appeared. “You know what to do,” Ekyt told them.
“Right,” They replied. As one, they pulled the tags away. The barrier disappeared.


“Ah!”
The Akatsuki revealed themselves! Deidara squared off with Sai, while Sasori and Sakura glared at each other. Kakashi and Naruto matched wits with Itachi.

Ekyt looked back. He needed his chakra…but for some reason, his gut told him to help the others first. If Itachi was out of the way, the others would be easier.
“Dragon’s Circle.” Ekyt held a ball of fire in his hand. It crackled with life. Opening the First Gate of Chakra very briefly, Ekyt tore toward Itachi and drove the fire home, into Itachi’s stomach. He didn’t look to see what damage that did. Instead, he focused on Deidara.
“Bringer of Darkness Technique! OOF!”
Deidara was pawing around in the darkness. Sai’s paintings came to life and began to gnaw on the other artist.
The ‘oof’ was courtesy of Itachi. He and Ekyt were face to face. Itachi rapidly punched Ekyt. While he was flying, Ekyt formed his desperate plan.
“Bringer of Darkness Technique!” Ekyt called, staring Itachi down. He knew what Itachi would do.
“Demonic Illusion: Mirror Heaven and Earth Change,” Itachi replied. Ekyt saw all darkness. But his second jutsu had hit Itachi. A Demonic Illusion: False Surroundings Technique. Ekyt had hidden a genjutsu within a genjutsu! He was trapped in his own, but Itachi was stymied by the second genjutsu. While he formed the release sign, Kakashi came roaring in with his Raikiri. Itachi moved, but Kakashi had hit one arm, the one with the ring on it. The arm stayed attached, but it was too injured to be used. That made Itachi only a little less dangerous.
Ekyt, meanwhile, saw nothing but darkness. Unconcerned, as he had anticipated it, he used the “release” technique. His site came back just in time to see Sasori striking at him with the long, bony tail of some puppet. Ekyt flipped forward, surprising Sasori. He kicked him across the face, then landed and made for his chakra again. Sasori had recovered quickly, and decided to focus on the girl instead. There’s more than one way to ground that little punk…



Sakura destroyed another puppet. They were endless, and the powerful kunoichi was starting to get tired. But if she got hit, she didn’t know what would happen. Sasori supposedly used poison. If that was the case, Sakura was safe- barely. A little cut on the skin could be fatal. And it was unlikely she’d have time to heal herself. Keeping that in mind, she leapt over a low strike, then ducked under a higher one. A powerful punch shattered the high puppet to pieces, while a well-placed heel kick put the lower puppet down for the count. Sakura wanted to know which one was Sasori. If she could stop him, the endless parade of well-placed puppetry would be put to an end. That in mind as well, Sakura dodged to the side, avoiding a nasty stabbing strike. She kicked the offending puppet, then punched an oncoming puppet. She didn’t see the puppet coming from behind. It reared back and stabbed Sakura through the shoulder.
“Ah!” Sakura cried out in pain
Sakura was finally hit. Sasori stood over her, ready for the kill.



Ekyt stopped. His chakra was sinking back into him (He could feel Rage, Love, Despair, and Hate), but he heard Sakura fall. He had a choice to make. He had no trouble making it, even in the heat of battle. Sai’s sword clattered to his feet. He kicked it back in Sai’s direction, then made his decision.



Sakura knew this was it. She smiled serenely, happy that she had helped her friend get his life back, even if it meant losing hers. Sasori’s puppet aimed it’s sword at her, and swung. She closed her eyes.
Suddenly, she was moving fast. VERY fast. She opened her eyes. Ekyt was holding her and was running top speed.
“Huh? Ekyt-kun, no! Go get your chakra!” Sakura protested. Ekyt kept running.
“No. I made a promise that I would NEVER forsake my village, and those that mean anything to me. I can always go back for it. You helped me get this far. I’ll never forget it. That chakra is in my reach. Now, while I’m able, I’m going to give you some of my chakra. Use your Advanced Poison Removal. I’m going back. Kakashi and the others will be here soon. If anything happens, use this,” Ekyt said all this very quickly, and handed Sakura a scroll at the end. Sakura saw it had a blood tribute on it already.
“It’s a one-time summoning contract,” Ekyt had time to say before he kicked a puppet to pieces. Sakura looked up at him, disbelieving. But this mission…it’s so important to him…
“I’ve got to…it’s now or never. I’m either saving my chakra, or destroying it.”
Ekyt put that thought on hold. Sasori was closing in fast. There was no time to reach for a weapon. Ekyt felt rage, like nothing he ever felt before. He did NOT feel fear, that emotion was still waiting to be put back in. Without knowing why, Ekyt imitated his cousin, Kimimaro, and pulled a bone from his left arm. It didn’t hurt, and it scared the hell out of the approaching Sasori. Especially when Ekyt started cutting away with a purpose. He was driving Sasori back. Kakashi swooped in and picked Sakura up. As soon as he could, Ekyt used the First’s genjutsu one more time, this time on Sasori. It only gave him seconds, but that was long enough for Ekyt to reach his chakra.


Or, he would have. Itachi had it in another barrier, this one a continuing jutsu.
“Time to withdraw,” Itachi told the other Akatsuki. They didn’t look thrilled, but they leapt to his side.
This made Ekyt furious. But, he couldn’t risk his chakra getting away. Taking a seed Yamato had given him, he threw it in the barrier by lacing it with the little bit of emotional chakra he had. Yamato could track his chakra now.
“This isn’t over, Itachi. And the rest of you cloaked clowns. You’ll have to kill me to get rid of me. And that’s a tall order for a bunch of idiots like you!” Ekyt snarled. The Akatsuki disappeared.



Ekyt stared after the Akatsuki. He felt tears well up. Slowly, he folded to his knees, his fists clenched. Everyone was silent for a few moments.
“DAMNIT!” Ekyt threw the bone he had pulled out of his arm onto the ground. It clattered to Kakashi’s feet. He put it in a sealing scroll. Now wasn’t the time to bother Ekyt.
Ekyt looked around the hideout. No trace of where the Akatsuki had gone. He still had Kisame’s ring, that was something. But not enough. Wordlessly, Ekyt opened a summoning scroll and pulled out explosive notes. He placed them all over. In the center of the giant stone room they had just fought in, Ekyt placed all the wood he could find. The others stepped back, and then ran out of the building.
“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu,” Ekyt said, jabbing his hand at pile of wood. It ignited. Ekyt stared at the fire for a moment, as if his chakra was burning with it. Finally, he pried himself away and joined the others.
“Bastard artist. He wants a bang? I’ll GIVE him a bang! Katsu!” Ekyt ‘borrowed’ Deidara’s catch phrase, giving it a little twist. The “Katsu” set off a chain of explosion. The once-imposing building was now a ruin. Thick, black smoke poured into the air. Ekyt could almost see his chakra go up in smoke, too. But he knew the Akatsuki still had the rest of it. He was going to get it back.
He just wished that he had gotten the emotion “Hope” back.




“DAMN THOSE FIVE!” Tsunade thundered. “I want ANBU deployed, arrest all of them!” she shouted.
“Lady Tsunade, that’s ridiculous!” Shizune protested.
“Do it- now!” Tsunade yelled.
“No! I’ve indulged you long enough! I will NOT be a part of you treating those five like criminals, when all they’ve done wrong is protect our village and it’s members!” Shizune shouted back. Master Jiraiya chose that moment to appear.
“Shizune, please, give me a minute with Tsunade. This won’t take long. I’m part of the problem here.”
Shizune was stunned, but bowed. “Of course, Master Jiraiya.” Shizune left the room.




“Hey, you’re the medic!” Jiraiya shot back. “We were both drunk. Or, I was, at least. But that’s beside the point. It’s happened now. How you…and I…handle it is a different matter. If it’s really happened.”
“Of course it has! Haven’t you noticed how I act?” Tsunade said back, suddenly glum.
“You ALWAYS acted like this. You know, all dogy and princessy.”
Tsunade gave Jiraiya a sharp crack across the head.
“Why do they call you a sage, anyway?! You’re an idiot who writes pervy books for a living!”
“Are you kidding? I’m eating like a pig, and I have mood swings!”
Jiraiya snickered. “How can you tell? You don’t seem any different to me…Relax, I’m kidding. I knew something was up. Mostly because you’ve been treating Ekyt like dirt. You don’t mean that, do you?”
Tsunade looked flustered, and confused. “No…No, I didn’t. And, Jiraiya…I was going to deploy ANBU after Ekyt. Is he, and the others…are they alright? What are they doing, anyway?”
“They’re getting Ekyt’s chakra back. I hope.”
Tsunade sighed. “I’m just…frustrated. I’ve been the least successful Hokage yet. Our economy is only marginally better, and we have less Shinobi, barely enough to go around. So….I guess…I’m thinking of stepping down. The council has their own ideas os what they want- a younger Hokage. They’re not fooling me, they want a puppet. I go against them, so they want me gone.”
Jiraiya put a hand on Tsunade’s shoulder. “You were shouldered with a heavy burden as soon as you took the title of Fifth Hokage. The council has no right to dictate to you. It’s the other way around. Who do they have in mind?”
Tsunade looked away, ashamed.
“The very boy I’ve been treating like dirt- Ekyt.”
“He’s skilled, and I have no doubt he’d make a fine Hokage someday. SOMEDAY, not today. The council is planning to use him. He’s well-liked, and talented…someone is trying to maneuver you out of the picture. And I’ve got an idea as to how to flush who it is out into the open. But we’re going to need a little help.”
Tsunade nodded, controlling herself. The worst part is…if I was in Ekyt’s shoes, I’d jump at the chance to be Hokage…just to get back at me for being a dog! But he’s too smart to fall for their politics, right?



Ekyt watched the building burn. Naruto and Kakashi had talked to him, then gone off to discuss strategy. Yamato was next.
“That was a good move. I can track them now, thanks to that seed. When we worked together in ANBU, I meant to say that you were the easiest to work with. No attitude. Tsunade tried to remove you from ANBU, but Ibikki-sempai and Anko-sempai both put their foot down. Just keep this in mind: genin or not- you have people who believe in you.” With that, Yamato walked away. Ekyt continued to watch the building.
Sakura dusted herself off, her chakra and energy finally coming back.
“Ekyt-kun…thanks. For rescuing me, I mean. You could have just gotten your chakra. Why did you come back for me?” This question had been eating at Sakura for some time.
“Because you’re one of the people I care about. I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t at least try to help you. You did so much to just get me to my chakra, it would have been a poor way to repay you by ignoring what happened.”


For some reason, Sakura thought of Sasuke. She wished that he would treat her like this. No…I don’t know what to think of Sasuke. I don’t know if I’m in love with him or not anymore. It’s still confusing. But that’s not important. Right now, Ekyt needs that chakra back.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on March 8, 2008, 11:33:09 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifewow. well its what Tsunade deserves for being so mean to Ekyt regardless of the situation!

hflp on March 7, 2008, 12:25:02 PM

hflp on
hflpThat's a bit of a shocker. No wonder Tsunade has been acting like this.