Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 28 - A Title of Meaning

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 28 - A Title of Meaning

Chapter 28 - A Title of Meaning
Ekyt controlled his rage, and then he felt- nothing. Kakashi noticed the difference. After a moment’s thought, he decided to talk about it. Mostly for Ekyt’s own safety.
“Your emotions are gone again. Of course…It makes sense…” Kakashi looked forward.
“What makes sense?” Naruto asked.
“Emotions. We’re never completely at an emotional impasse, we always feel SOMETHING. But if there aren’t enough emotions to go around, then you won’t feel anything. There’s a gap in your emotion cycle, Ekyt. And it’s potential dangerous.”
Ekyt looked back, then stopped on a branch.
“I have an idea of where you’re going- but how is it dangerous?” Ekyt was a little confused.
Kakashi halted his team, indicating for everyone to sit down on the ground below.
“As a genjutsu user, you know the limits of the brain very well. When emotions are tampered with, the brain loses stability. Without ANY emotions, or with only some, it’s possible you might lose control. If you feel one emotion, say, rage, for a period of time, during that period you might lose control of yourself. The same goes with any emotion.”
Ekyt looked a little chilled. Some dregs of rage were on his face, but he hid them. From his forearm, he pulled a pouch of throwing needles. He tossed them to Sakura.
“Sakura…if I get that way, put two of these in my neck. If I become a threat to any of you, do whatever it takes to stop me. ANYTHING.” Sakura looked horrified at the idea, before she realized what Ekyt meant.
Kakashi picked up the needles. “Just like Zabuza and Haku…you read the mission briefing. And you know that Sakura is the only one with the medical expertise to hit the precise points that will put you in a state of ‘temporary death’. Sakura, use senbon instead, these things are likely to REALLY kill him. They’re too thick.”
Naruto was silent as Kakashi announced they should rest here. I didn’t do anything in that last fight…I’ve got to talk with Ekyt, and make a plan with him. I hate the Akatsuki…they haven’t taken what they want from me…but they did from two of my friends now! And that’s too many who have suffered! The next time we meet the Akatsuki, he’s getting his chakra back! Believe it!




Sarutobi didn’t look surprised.
“They plan to use him as a puppet, do they? He’ll never fall for it. He has the ability to become Hokage some day, but not the drive. Or, rather, the desire. He most certainly has the drive.”
Jiraiya lowered his head in agreement. “True. But Tsunade and I are going to give him the desire. If he takes the title of Hokage, the council will drop their guard, thinking he’s a stupid kid, and reveal who’s conspiring within.”
Sarutobi shook his head. “They’ll suspect your plan.”
Jiraiya smirked in return. “Not quite. Especially when we let Ekyt do his own thing. We’re going to remove Tsunade from the equation, and I’ll leave the village again. But I’ll be watching. Once Tsunade’s stepped down, saying she needs a temporary respite, it’ll only be a matter of time. It won’t take them long to try to manipulate Ekyt, especially with the two of us gone. And Tsunade plans to fight his appointment, making it even more real.”
Sarutobi puffed on his pipe thoughtfully. “Ekyt has a reputation…but it won’t extend far enough to get him respect as Hokage among the other nations. They’ll try to attack.”
Jiraiya smirked. “Take a look into that crystal ball of yours. Once he takes out the Akatsuki, word will spread, giving him enough credibility to take the title. If need be, we send him on other missions in other nations to get his name out there.”
Sarutobi still had his reservations, but he agreed it was the best way to flush out the snitch they suspected. There was one more question, however. After spending so much time with Ekyt, Sarutobi knew one thing for sure: Ekyt took everything about his work seriously, and that meant his bosses.
“Will he really agree to this? Unless everyone else agrees, he may not agree to take the Hokage title…” Sarutobi added more of the rich tobacco to his pipe.
“What do you mean? A chance to be Hokage? I mean, with myself as an exception, who WOULDN’T take the chance!” Jiraiya protested.
“Ekyt’s honor means a great deal to him. He would never, as he put it, “whore out his art.” If he didn’t believe he was Hokage material, he could very well say no. He refused the promotion to chunin.”
Jiraiya conceded Sarutobi had a point. “True. And he doesn’t want to take away Naruto’s dream. But, if he DOES take the title of Hokage, he’ll be in a better position to help Naruto. And besides, this would be an S-ranked mission. If there’s one thing I know, it’s that Ekyt won’t turn down a mission.”
Sarutobi found himself agreeing. “Alright. But keep a close eye on him.”



As they camped that night, Naruto made it a point to sit near Ekyt.
“Hey, listen, I’ve got an idea!” Naruto declared. Ekyt looked up, and invited Naruto to continue.
“I’ll use a Shadow Clone Jutsu, and…”
Ekyt’s eyes widened. It was a good plan.



Ekyt walked into the base alone. It was unguarded, just as before. The Akatsuki probably booby-trapped the place. That was fine. Ekyt’s chakra was in site. As he reached for it, Itachi, Deidara, and Sasori leapt out and surrounded him.
“Fell for it, un?” Deidara taunted. The mouth on his hand licked greedily, waiting for more clay.
“Only a fool walks into a lion’s den alone,” Sasori growled.
“And you’re not a fool…This is a clone,” Itachi said, Sharingan glowing.
POOF!
There was Naruto! “Yeah, you’re REAL good! I don’t get all the hype about you! Big deal, you’ve got some freaky-looking eyes! You haven’t beaten ME yet!” Naruto grinned. “And you, the freak with the long hair! What ARE you? A guy, a girl, what? You TALK like something in between! And puppet-freak- aren’t you a little old to be playing with toys?”
“A transformation, un? Are your eyes going, Itachi? That isn’t a clone,” Deidara taunted.
“Yes, it is. That’s a clone.” Itachi pointed at the clone, which was unaffected by his genjutsu.
‘Naruto’ laughed. “You guys are suckers!”
The clone exploded!
Ekyt ran out of the shadows, giving Deidara a hard smack across the face. He grabbed his chakra…



“Master Sasori! Stop him!” Deidara shouted, pointing at Ekyt. Sasori ejected his ‘heart’ into the nearest puppet body to Ekyt. Ekyt hadn’t seen it hanging on the wall just above him. He was already in the process of taking his chakra back, which would have meant he would have to either break the connection and fight, or hope that Sasori missed.
“Ekyt-kun! No way!” Sakura threw kunai and shuriken. They hit Sasori’s ‘heart’ and pinned it to the wall. Nowhere vital, but it gave Ekyt enough time to allow his emotional self to step into his body. His body glowed momentarily. But at the end, Ekyt’s eyes were alive again, and there was a smile in his voice. A voice that held tones again!
“Thanks Naruto, and you too, Sakura! Now, let’s get out of here!”
The group of five took off at top speed.



None of the Akatsuki gave pursuit.
“They took the bait, un? I’m still not sure we should have done that…we should have destroyed it,” Deidara didn’t like the thought of that punk kid getting that chakra back. He’s dangerous, even by my standards. He’s not naturally talented. But somehow, he’s a threat nonetheless…It must have taken sheer force of will to make a Shinobi masterpiece with such meager material. I wonder if he’s aware that his name is spreading…No matter. If he gets in the way, he’ll simply die. Perhaps he’s even worthy of one of my explosions. Since I can’t do it to the Jinchuuriki. That would be a great work of art!
“That chakra was worthless to us. And we need them all. When I meet my brother in combat, they all play a part. Let’s report this to Pein.” Itachi suited actions to words and disappeared in a swirl of leaves. The others agreed. Their plan to use that chakra had been worthless, but they HAD learned something. And they could put that knowledge to use.
They were closer to the Jinchuuriki each time they met him. The Leaf Shinobi had taken the bait.
Still, Sasori was bothered by something. We categorized that chakra of his as a kekkaigenkai…but then, he used the Kaguya clan’s kekkaigenkai, out of nowhere. What does this mean? Perhaps only one kekkaigenkai can inhabit him at a time. The Second Chakra takes priority in his body, because he’s used it so often. That means that the Kaguya kekkaigenkai lies dormant, until his chakra is incapacitated. Fascinating…and disturbing. If he’s close to the Jinchuuriki, we’ll have to destroy him. Perhaps we’re attacking this problem from the wrong angle to begin with. If the Jinchuuriki has no one to protect him, he’ll be that much easier to catch…a point worth of more thought.




Jiraiya and Sarutobi were waiting for Ekyt at the gates. They grinned broadly when they saw that he had his emotions back.
“Naruto is to thank for the plan that got them back,” Ekyt told them. “And Sakura is the reason I’m still alive.”
“That’s great! Now, Naruto, come with me, we’ve got something to discuss. It’s about a request Sasuke made…” Jiraiya steered Naruto away.
Sarutobi put a hand on Ekyt’s shoulder. “I told you that your path would be difficult. You haven’t wavered. And it seems you’ve learned a great deal. Right now, I need you and Sakura. Kakashi, you should come to. This is a grave matter, I’m afraid.”



Sarutobi, Tsunade, Kakashi, Sakura, and Ekyt listened to Tsunade talk. After her apology, what she told Ekyt nearly made him faint. Her reasoning was sound, even more sound than his protests.
“Now, it’s temporary, and it’s beyond dangerous. By putting you in this position, we’re almost INVITING others to attack us. Since your leadership will be absolute, you decide how to deal with it. So, in essence, you’re the temporary 5th Hokage. The council will talk with you. The elders, I mean. You will have your own personal council.”




Ekyt reached for the headgear of the Hokage. He couldn’t believe it. He was the Fifth Hokage?
“Are you sure about this? Am I really the one, Tsunade-sama?” Ekyt asked.
“I’m afraid so, Lord Hokage.” Tsunade smiled. “I know you’ll do a great job. Just remember what we talked about.”
After a nod, Ekyt asked “I WILL have some free rein, right?”
Tsunade smiled. “Of course. If I could trust anyone besides myself to make the right decision for the Village, it’s you. Now, it’s time for the ceremony. Oh, and pick your council now. So you can announce them at the ceremony.”



The buzz in the Leaf Village was incredible. A new Hokage? Was Tsunade alright? What happened. Then they saw who the new Hokage was. The reaction was incredible.
Ekyt smiled at them, though you couldn’t see it under his mask.
“Thank you, all of you. I’ve assumed the title of temporary Godaime Hokage. I promise all of you- I will give you all the same loyalty you’ve shown me. The Leaf Village is the first place I’ve ever felt like I’ve belonged, and I’m proud to be able to give back, after four years. I assure you, Tsunade-sama is in perfect health, to address the question I know is on all of your minds. Now, I am proud to announce the members of my personal council: Master Sarutobi- personal advisor. Iruka Umino- Academy Director. Kakashi Hatake-Field Instructor. Ibikki Morino- ANBU Consultant. The rest of the council is retained. Yes, Ebisu, you too. Now, I know you all came for the party. Please, eat and enjoy yourselves!”
Another roar came from the crowd for the short speech. The reaction Ekyt had was surprisingly good. As he stood on the balcony in his new Hokage robe and hat, for a moment, he pushed aside the thought that becoming the Godaime Hokage was a sham, and that he was a pawn in a game of chess played by the TRUE Hokage. For now, he would enjoy his position. He also owed a few others an explanation.
“Lord Hokage?” Shizune asked cautiously.
“Yes, I’m sorry. How can I help, Shizune?” Ekyt asked, playing his part.
“Well, it seems the Tsunade left you…three years worth of paper work that needs to be done. Then there’s the missions, and we have a new crop of genin that need assigning, and…”
A large sweatdrop formed at Ekyt’s temple. Well, at least I’m making a difference…damn, I hate paperwork… Shizune was still talking as Ekyt thought of how long it was going to take to catch up on all this. Tsunade did this on purpose…that dog…I owe her for this…big time!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on March 12, 2008, 3:28:23 AM

hflp on
hflpAwesome Chapter. I especially enjoyed the ending.