Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 29 - Falling Leaf and Striking Lightning

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 29 - Falling Leaf and Striking Lightning

Chapter 29 - Falling Leaf and Striking Lightning
After the brief party, Ekyt held council with his advisors. He was told not to give any hints away that he was, in fact, already playing for ‘the other side’. Tsunade had cautioned him not to. Ekyt understood the plan, and he was going to play his role to the hilt.
“What business is there, Iruka?” Ekyt asked, in an air reminiscent of the Third Hokage.
“Well, our graduation rates are the same, Lord Hokage. But enrollment is down. After the war with Orochimaru, a lot of our families stopped letting their children enroll. They’re afraid of the kids getting hurt. I guess they’re thinking ‘if we aren’t Shinobi, Orochimaru won’t hurt us,’ which isn’t the case, as all of us know from experience.”
Ekyt/Lord Hokage scratched his chin. “Iruka, we need to put a positive spin on enrollment. I’m putting Sai with you. He has no immediate missions. I want the two of you to create a poster and flyer campaign, with my approval, warning parents that by ‘keeping their children in the dark, they’re exposing them to greater harm.’ Everyone should know how to defend themselves. We need to convey the message that knowledge is power. If the village is attacked, and even if it’s not, these children are the future, and that is an investment we must protect and nurture.”
The council muttered agreement- how hadn’t THEY thought of that? Lord Hokage continued once the muttering died down.
“Iruka, I remember the curriculum. No matter the need for Shinobi, I don’t want it sped up. If you have an outstanding student who outgrows the curriculum, please have him or her brought to me. I have two tutors in mind. I want you free to focus on the mainstream classes.”
Iruka nodded. “I have one boy, Okkuu Kazuki. He’s like Naruto, except talented from the get-go.”
That earned a laugh all the way around. That’s when Ekyt surprised everyone.
“Well, then. Ebisu, I will leave his case in your care. DO try to not piss him off.”
Of everyone on the council, Ebisu was the most surprised that he had kept his spot. He had treated this kid like crap. And now, he was in the perfect position to get revenge, and he wasn’t! As if reading his thoughts, Ekyt spoke.
“Ebisu, I take this job seriously. It’s a clean slate, one in which you haven’t annoyed me. The past is the past, we have to look to the future. Now, the new crop of genin. How many teams?” Ekyt/Lord Hokage asked.
“Just one, Lord Hokage,” Iruka said.
“Are they inclined to any particular path? Genjutsu? Taijutsu?”
“They’re all long-range fighters, using Ninjutsu.”
Ekyt nodded. “Assign them, Cell 15, Jonin: Temari.”


“Ibikki, what are ANBU’s standing orders?”
Ibikki smirked. I SAID this kid was special
“They’re watching for the Akatsuki. One group is dispatched to Orochimaru’s Otogakure.”
“There are enough agents to go around?”
“Yes, plenty. There’s not enough work, for that matter. Some of them are getting soft,” Ibikki said, sneering at the last part.
Ekyt put his hands on the table. He shuffled through some scrolls.
“I see. Those agents that aren’t pulling their weight- I have several A-ranked missions, and I’m sorely lacking jonin to complete them. Send the one who aren’t seeing action to me in the morning, they can cover the A-ranked missions.”
Ibikki nodded his agreement.
“Alright, I believe that covers everything. Kakashi, Ibikki, I need to see the two of you privately. Everyone else- you’re dismissed.”


“Ibikki, I want ANBU to investigate Elder Danzou. The best two agents not already deployed. I need him on a 24 hour watch. Any suspicious activities or contact, report them to me. And, please ask the other elders to meet with me in my office at their earliest convenience.”
“Aye, Lord Hokage.” Ibikki left the room, leaving Kakashi and Ekyt.


“Well, Lord Hokage, congratulations,” Kakashi drawled.
“I want you to know- it’s a sham, Kakashi. This is all a mission,” Ekyt said quickly.
“Tsunade is still the Hokage?” Kakashi hadn’t been told of this plan, and it genuinely surprised him. If it took even ME by surprise…it’s a good move. No one would suspect Ekyt, especially not after the wars he’s had with Lady Tsunade.
“I’m a pawn in a game of sophisticated chess. That’s why I asked you to stay. For now, we both have roles to play. And that role dictates I ask: Sai is being re-assigned, by Tsunade’s orders. That’s why I ask you to think this over: Who would make a good addition to your team? I know you’ve been a three-man cell, but the missions that are coming up may be too much for even you three. Four, I should say, Yamato is retained in the group, with you in charge. My plan is an Elite Five. You, Naruto, Sakura, and Yamato are the core group. But a fifth member would be useful. You have a medic, experience, and raw power. Think about what’s missing from the equation, and if you know anyone that fits.”
Kakashi looked over the scroll. “I have an idea of who I want. But, like you said, let me sleep on it.”
Ekyt nodded. “There ARE…two other things. First, Sasuke Uchiha. He will be fighting his brother in one monthes time. I’m asking you to step in if Sasuke is beaten. I have reason to believe the Akatsuki will be there. Not just Itachi. All of them, or at least more than just Itachi. You are the only Shinobi who could hold Itachi off. Sakura and Naruto will be with you. I have a feeling…no, it’s more of a premonition…that the village will be attacked soon. I need to know your team can handle the bad blood between the Uchiha brothers. The threat from Orochimaru is growing, but even he wouldn’t dare break the treaty he signed with us. Sunagakure is trustworthy. But there’s a growing threat in the Land of Lightning. The Raikage is still smarting over the Hyuuga’s trick, years ago. In it’s weakened state, the village will be attacked. If I’m playing the part of Hokage, I am going to fight the Raikage. He will require my attention. In the event of my death/incapacitation, I’ve named you my successor. If I die, do not reveal the plans that are in motion until the leak in our council has been patched. After that, I would like the truth told: I was never Lord Hokage.”
Kakashi saw the boy trying hard to stay stoic. He put a hand on “Lord Hokage’s” shoulder.
“Of course. I’ll take care of all that.”



Of course, being Hokage meant Ekyt was out of action. He trained whenever he wasn’t doing paperwork and handing out missions. The job was enjoyable, despite the stress. The stress had more or less dissipated after doing three years worth of paperwork in one, 3-day, nonstop session. With that out of the way, Ekyt/Lord Hokage wondered how long he would be in this position. He also wondered just how quickly the Raikage would attack. It will be soon. I’m the ‘lame duck’ Hokage right now, he’ll think it’s the perfect time. I just need to know who his pipeline of information is…Ah, time to meet with the elders. Perhaps today is the day…


Elders Danzou, Kato, Yakamo, and Korochi filed in. Silently, they took their places. Danzou spoke first, somehow imposing despite his age and blindness.
“Congratulations, Lord Hokage. I certainly hope our relationship will be a peaceful one.” Danzou was clearly trying the intimidation card. Something Ekyt had expected.
“I hope so as well, Danzou. All of us have the village’s best interests at heart, do we not? There’s no reason for us to disagree in a forceful manner. Now, please, let’s begin,” Ekyt told them.
The formal conference room had no windows, and seemed…dusty. It had been unused since the 3rd’s time as Hokage.
“Our first query is of the growing threat of Orochimaru. What will you do to quell that threat?” Danzou asked.
“I will honor the treaty we signed with him. Until he oversteps his boundaries, there is nothing I can- or am willing- to do. The bigger threat is the Akatsuki. The immediate threat is the Raikage.”
Danzou stood up.
“That is not what I asked you about,” he said, almost threateningly. Ekyt remained sitting. He stared back at the elder.
“I’m aware of that, Danzou. I am also aware that you are in direct opposition of most of the groundwork the 3rd Hokage laid down. If you are hoping I will destroy that groundwork, you are mistaken. I plan too add to it. My priority is the village. We live in a different time, and need to adapt to the situation we are presented with, not what’s happened in the past.”
Danzou didn’t expect Lord Hokage to see through him that quickly. He sat back down. Yakamo, the female elder, raised her question.
“You’ve handled enrollment splendidly, and ANBU’s improvement is noticeable. If you think that the Akatsuki are the biggest threat- how do you plan to deal with them?”
Ekyt smiled at Elder Yakamo. “I’m glad you asked. I’ll need a visual aid for this demonstration. Dual-Summoning Jutsu!”
With that, Ekyt’s dog, Holly, and his Water Dragon, Umisu, appeared. Umisu was on Ekyt’s shoulder, while Holly sat at her owner’s feet.
“Good. Holly, if you don’t mind, the red scroll. And Umisu, if you wouldn’t mind using your jutsu.”
As Holly dug around in a small rucksack, Umisu spat out a water clone of Ekyt. This Ekyt was holding a diagram. The real Ekyt spoke, while referring to the diagram.
“We know very little of the Akatsuki. We DO know that one member, Itachi Uchiha, is a significant threat by himself. We also know his abilities, and a counter is in the works. Other known members: Sasori of the Sand Village, Deidara of the Stone Village, and, in our holding cells, Kisame of the Mist. I feel certain there are others, but these are the ones that are moving most consistently.
“And where did you obtain this information?” demanded Korochi.
“From a reliable source that I will not name. It would put him at risk. But, rest assured, he has the approval of myself, the Third, and Tsunade-Sama. His word is good.”
“Have you proof?” Korochi spoke harshly again.
“Nothing that I am at liberty to show you. I have the man…or woman’s…security to think of, and I hope you’ll forgive me for putting that first. Now, as to how I am handling the situation. My clone holds a diagram of the Akatsuki, and each one’s talent. You’ll see, across from it, the match I have in mind.

Sasori- puppets and poison Sakura Haruno- Medic-nin
Deidara- explosives Naruto Uzumaki- long-range
Itachi Uchiha- Sharingan Kakashi Hatake- jonin/Sharingan

Now, I have others in mind. I have heard names of the other Akatsuki: Pein, Zettsu, and Hidan. Upon Kisame’s capture, it is rumored that the Akatsuki have recruited another member. His identity is not known, but it’s believed that he, too, has the Sharingan. If this is truly the case, I have three other Shinobi waiting in the wings. If necessary, I will go myself. The other three are Rock Lee, Shikamaru Nara, and Temari.”
“You yourself? You are barely old enough to remember the great battle with the ninetails! You cannot hope to defeat the Akatsuki!” Korochi sneered. The other elders, even Danzou, were silent. This was going a bit far, they thought.
Lord Hokage smiled. “Oh? You think that little of me, Korochi? As my summon, Holly, will detail to you in this scroll…”



The elders read the scroll, eyes widening in shock.
“You- your chakra? Lord Hokage, I had no idea! I apologize for my brashness!” Korochi bowed.
Ekyt made sure he kept his voice friendly. “We all make mistakes, Korochi. You aren’t wrong to assume, everyone does. As long as your assumptions are sound. Someone young does not mean that someone is weak by definition.”
The elders couldn’t argue, they had just been proven wrong. Yakumo smiled, while Danzou and Korochi both kept neutral expressions on their faces. That left Elder Kato. Kato, in his day, had been a worthy jonin, and a fierce defender of the Leaf Village.
“You mention the Raikage and the Village Hidden in the Clouds…all of the elders know the grudge. Why would the suddenly act on an age-old grudge?” Kato mused. Ah, if I was young, I would attack them with the vigor I always did! The Leaf Village means everything to me!
“The change in Hokage, and our weakened economy seems to make us an unstable Village. However, we are still the strongest among the great five nations. As a proverb reads, it’s not GETTING to the top that’s hard, it’s staying there. Some will try to take us out at the knees. I have a plan for that, too, which I will reveal once the time is right. Now, are there any other questions before we adjourn?”
Ekyt looked from one elder to the other. They all merit investigation…but I don’t have the manpower to go around. I’ll have to be selective. Assuming they’ll act at night, and in private…I’ll need four agents. But ANBU would be too flashy, I can’t have attention drawn to ANBU, I need them as regular security. Perhaps my “Elite Four” need a workout…A-ranked it is. I’ll contact them in the morning…


Sakura, Kakashi, and Yamato were wide awake, and ready to go. Then there was Naruto. He was sleeping, a snot bubble increasing in size as he snored.
Ekyt debated on how to wake him up. That problem was solved quickly, by Naruto himself, with a little help from Sakura.
“zzzz…hmmm…yeah, ramen….red miso…you’re buying, Sakura-chan? Let me repay you with a kiss…mmmm…ramen breath…”
Ekyt/Lord Hokage looked away, wincing. He heard the tell-tale WHAM! Of Naruto being punched. I’ll bet he’s awake now…
“Now that’s you’re all here…and awake…I have a mission. Yamato, I want you to watch Elder Danzou. Kakashi, I’m assigning you to Elder Korochi. Sakura, I need you to watch Elder Kato. And Naruto, I need you to watch…”
Naruto was asleep again. Ekyt, borrowing from Takeda Shingen’s book (A lord in feudal Japan), grabbed the iron war fan off his desk, closed it, and gave Naruto a crack on the head.
“…And Naruto, you will watch Elder Yakamo. If any of you see anything strange, report to me immediately. If they’re proven traitorous, use the force necessary to bring them to me- alive. Kill only as a last resort. One of the four is a traitor to the Leaf Village. We need to know which one. Any questions?”
“Yeah, I’ve got one, old man. Is this A-ranked?” Naruto yelled out.
Ekyt resisted the urge to hit Naruto again. “Yes, it is. And I’m ‘Lord Hokage’, not ‘Old Man’. I’ve only got four years on you!”
“That still makes you old!” Naruto teased.
“Well, you have your orders. Thank you for getting here on such short notice. You may begin. But stay in radio contact with each other. If one of you is wounded seriously or incapacitated, the mission is terminated.”
“Understood. Let’s go,’ Kakashi drawled in his own, inimitable way. The four leapt off across rooftops, going in separate directions.



Ekyt watched them go, until he heard Hayate.
“Sir? (koff)”
“Yes, Hayate?”
“The Sand’s Kazekage is here to meet with you. (koff).”
“Please bring him in, Hayate.”



Gaara joined Ekyt in his office.
“Welcome, Lord Kazekage. I hope your trip was pleasant,” Ekyt said.
“The trip isn’t important. The chunin exams are coming up, and I’m here to speak with you about it…and security.”
Ekyt raised a brow, but offered Gaara a chair.
“Something to drink?”
“No,” Gaara responded.
“Alright. The chunin exams are in…two weeks time. All the preparations have been made to accommodate the students and their respective senseis. Security…I have a feeling you’re not referring to the chunin exams.”
Gaara nodded. “The Akatsuki pose the threat. I’ve heard that they’ve formed a pact with the Raikage…and someone in Konoha.”
This was news to Ekyt. “I knew we had a leak in Konoha, I have an investigation underway. But the Akatsuki aligning themselves with the Cloud Village…what motive would they have?”
Gaara had an answer. “After our respective Village’s, the Cloud Village is the strongest nation. Their combined power may be enough to topple our Villages. The Stone Village is safe, due to their pact with the Cloud Village. That, too, is a point of worry. It may mean that two villages, plus the Akatsuki, may be aiming for our villages. That’s why I’m here. I want us to form a pact. In short, it dictates that our two villages will come to the aid of the others in times of crisis. This includes economic crisis. Trade between our villages will increase, and we’ll have more security. Our two Villages are the strongest. Akatsuki or not, the other villages will be reluctant to attack us.”
Lord Hokage agreed. “Of course. We can hold a formal signing tomorrow. For now, let me make sure you have accommodations for the night.”




The next morning, Ekyt was waiting on top of the Hokage mansion. It was then that Iruka brought his class up.
“Oh, Lord Hokage, good morning!” Iruka said, smiling. “Class, say hello to Lord Hokage!”
The class said hi. Some of them looked at Ekyt strangely.
“Don’t let me interfere, Iruka. You’re giving the Hokage lecture, I presume? One of my favorites,” Ekyt told Iruka. Despite Ekyt not really being Hokage, Iruka’s chest swelled with pride.
“Well, you’re welcome to stay. Now, class, this is Hokage Rock. The stone faces represent one of each of our Village’s top Shinobi, and”
“How come this guy isn’t up there?” one bouisterous boy shouted.
“How dare you talk about our Hokage that way!” Iruka shouted. Ekyt smiled.
“It’s alright, Iruka. I think I can give a suitable explanation.” Ekyt pointed to the faces.
“To become Hoakge means that you’re the top Shinobi in the Village, the best of the best. Konoha has a rich history of producing top-quality Ninja. Any one of you could be up there some day, and I know you’ll all strive to be the best. To protect what you love, to earn that love, there is no greater feeling, and no greater reward.”
“What do you mean? Money’s great!” came the inevitable shout.
“Money is nice…but money doesn’t buy the one thing we all have in common. A need for love. Money can buy weapons, and property, and even people- but it cannot buy the love you earn, and the respect that comes with it.” Lord Hokage looked up again.
“The Third Hokage was one of my Master’s…is, I should say. Never stop learning. If you know one more jutsu than your opponent, you’ll be difficult to defeat! If all of us act as one, our Village will prosper, and give back to us.”



Iruka stepped back and let Ekyt lecture. He had a reserved smile on his face. He’s playing the part really well…it’s a shame he’s not likely to ever REALLY be Hokage. He has the instinct to protect, and he could have the ability, if he had a little more experience. Oh well. For now, he’s doing his job. Just like always. The greatest reward a teacher can have is to look back and see his students right behind him, until he doesn’t have to look back, but forward, to see where his students have surpassed him…



Kakashi saw nothing out of the ordinary with elder Danzou. After a full day, Kakashi had nothing to report. He keyed his field mike.
“Anything?” he hissed into it.
“Sensei, I’ve got something! This is seriously bad news! Everyone would really be helpful! Elder Yakumo is up to something. I know that scroll! It’s the one I stole, when Mizuki-sensei was trying to trick me!”
Three voices answered Naruto’s
“The Forbidden Scroll? I’m on my way, Naruto, don’t attack!” Kakashi said.
“On my way!” Naruto barked.
“My clone is en route, I’ll be blocking her escape path.” Yamato’s clone responded, followed by him confirming it.



Yakumo bowed.
“Here it is, as promised. That fool Hokage had no idea…he would never suspect sweet, old, Elder Yakumo to take Konoha’s most precious secret scroll!”
A man in the shadows smiled, teeth gleaming as he greedily reached out for the scroll.
“You did very well, Yakumo…sister…” the man left the shadows. It was the Raikage!
“Thank you, brother! It’s time our nation was united, and”



“And I’ve heard enough, believe it!” Naruto declared.
“I think we have enough to arrest the both of you…after that, what happens is up to our Hokage…” Kakashi said.
Yamato, who always claimed he could ‘rule by fear if necessary’, did so now as he re-asborbed his wood clone.
“You’ll find our Hokage to be a fair man…But he doesn’t take kindly to treason in his Village. I doubt he’ll kill you outright. You’re more likely to rot in a jail cell the rest of your lives. But that’s for him to decide.”
Elder Yakumo and The Raikage looked to run, but they were surrounded by four of the best Konoha had to offer.
“Fine. Take us to this ‘scary Hokage’ of yours! The boy couldn’t have hit puberty before yesterday!” The Raikage snarled. Sakura, who was closest, grabbed the Raikage’s arm.
“Don’t push it. Lord Hokage might not kill you- But-I-WILL! Now, shut up and just come quietly.”



“Lord Hokage!”
“Some new outrage by Konohamaru, I presume?” Ekyt muttered, looking up from his personal scroll to see Genma Shiranui looking panicked.
“No, not this time, sir! I wish it was! God, I wish it was! No, it’s Team Kakashi! They’ve made two arrests!”
Ekyt stood up, pushing his chair out of the way, tilting his hat aggressively.
“Thank you, Genma. Please inform every non-Shinobi family that I am ordering a lock down. They are to stay in their homes, businesses, or wherever they are now. I want Shinobi lining the street. I don’t expect this arrest to go peacefully. Put our scouts on watch and…”
Ekyt hesitated for a moment.
“…And please summon the Kazekage to the top of the Hokage Mansion. I need him observing this arrest.”
“Got it!” Genma disappeared, using the Body Flicker Jutsu to start spreading the word.




Ekyt looked at the Hokage faces, wishing he DID belong in this position.
Oh well, I’m the Hokage now. I’m going to act like one until I’m told my mission has ended.
Right now, the furious Raikage, and his treacherous sister, Elder Yakamo, were being marched toward him. That was problem enough.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on March 13, 2008, 3:27:54 AM

hflp on
hflpWow.