Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 33 - Coming as a Friend

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 33 - Coming as a Friend

Chapter 33 - Coming as a Friend
Ebisu looked around the room. It was never difficult for him to keep an air of dignity. He WAS a jonin. But today, he wished he had kept his words soft, he was going to be eating them- big time.

“Lady Fifth…there’s no easy way to say this…” Ebisu shifted his glasses, a nervous habit of his.

“Then just say it, Ebisu, it’s been a long day.” Tsunade looked out her window. It HAD been a long day, at it was barely noon yet.

“I misjudged Ekyt Kaguya. I think him worth of chunin status. I let my personal feelings get in the way…”

Even Master Sarutobi couldn’t completely hide the shock from his face. Ebisu…saying he was wrong…I never thought I’d see the day!
“What brought this revelation about, Ebisu?” Tsunade asked, definitely interested.

Ebisu again played with his glasses. “Well, after how I treated him, he kept me on his council, and gave me a responsibility that meant a great deal of trust. I admit, I misjudged him. So, if it pleases the council…I nominate him for the rank of chunin.”

Tsunade leaned back in her chair. “That’s great, Ebisu! He’ll be thrilled! Well, he would be…if he wasn’t leaving the village…and if some of the council didn’t hate him for being the ‘pretend Fifth Hokage’…” (sweatdrops all around)





Ekyt hit the bar one more time. He didn’t drink like this normally, but leaving was never easy. Being a loner had made it a LITTLE easier, but the thought that he would never have any relationships ate at him. Rucksack over one shoulder, his staff over the other, he drank a little more. The dim lightning gave him a strange mix of outline and silhouette to anyone looking. His face was shaded on one side, but lit brightly by a nearby candle. Not that anyone looked. Ekyt made sure the bartender hadn’t spiked his drink. But the bartender was a friend, and he didn’t blame Ekyt for what happened.

The Village seemed to be in a fifty/fifty spilt- “Ekyt did the right thing” vs “How Dare he?!”. Most of Ekyt’s friends, that knew him personally, understood his position, and they were supportive. The others, whom Ekyt hadn’t been close with, had been furious at the deception, and began to treat him as though he was Naruto.

Ekyt drank again, setting the cup down, deep in thought. Well, that’s making leaving easier. It’s the ones that like me that make it difficult…I really thought I had finally found my place… After that, it was time to get up and head for the gates.




“You understand what I’m asking, right Sakura?” Tsunade prompted. She’s had time to think things over…let’s see if she’s got the guts to stand up to me. It’s another lesson, Sakura- you just don’t know it. Can you REFUSE an assignment you know is unethical?

“Yes, I do…and I can’t take the assignment. And no other kunoichi should!” Sakura’s courage had leapt into her throat, and she kept going.

“That boy is a sweet, loyal, and kindhearted warrior! His heart, whatever hasn’t been torn away, would split in two at the deception of a kunoichi that he thought he could trust! It would kill him inside! He’s at such a horrible impasse he wants to leave. The picture of loyalty wants to leave! Doesn’t that tell you that something is wrong?”

Tsunade stared at Sakura, but said nothing just yet. Sakura wasn’t done. Voice strained with emotion, she continued.

“It’s not fair that he gets blamed for this. It was just another mission! He even took it, KNOWING everyone would turn against him!” He was loyal, and any village would be lucky to have him!”

Tsunade smiled. “You’re very bright, Sakura. Truthfully, I’m glad you told me off. I wanted to see what you believed, in terms of right and wrong. I think you know your stuff. Now, how about stopping him from making a huge mistake, huh? No seduction, no orders. Just a friendly suggestion…”



Sakura stopped Ekyt as he was about to step outside the gate. (Conveniently, cherry blossoms were all around her, and a light breeze tossed her hair)

A sad-looking female…surrounded by cherry blossoms…I thought that only happened in “Love Hina”? Ekyt wondered. She’s really gotten beautiful. But she’s not like other girls. She’d give me the time of day. I just don’t know…she must be as lonely as I am…but somehow, telling her how I feel…it’s like dragging her down with me. I can’t do it…whatever pain I’m going to feel, I’ll keep inside me.

Ekyt kept walking, but his conscience wouldn’t let him ignore her.

“Hey…you alright, Sakura-sensei?” he finally asked.

Sakura had been trying to so hard to look deep in thought she actually WAS. Ekyt startled her.

“Sorry. I was just making sure you were okay…” Ekyt said gently.

“I guess so. I was just thinking about how you’re leaving. And, well…I has THOSE dreams again. At least, I think so.”

Ekyt immediately perked up. Leaving could wait, those dreams were dangerous.

“You’re not as shaken up as last time…I can’t sense your chakra disturbed…it might just have been a nightmare. But, if it’ll help, why don’t you tell me about them?” Ekyt’s voice sounded deeper- he hadn’t spoke for a day or so, so it was sounded like he was talking half-asleep. Somehow, that was comforting to Sakura, and she told him about her dream. When she got to the end, she was forcing back tears. Ekyt knew what an emotional toll these dreams took on her.
“Give it time, I guess. There’s not much else you can do. Green tea, dark chocolate, even a little sake to keep your heart pumping at a safe speed.”



“This time for sure, loser!”
“There’s no getting out of fighting me this time, Sasuke!”


Naruto and Sasuke were just about to have at it, when Jiraiya came racing by.
“You two! Come on! We’ve got to stop him from leaving the village!” Jiraiya didn’t explain any further, and he didn’t need to.



Ekyt landed, having evaded another attack. But against Naruto, Sasuke, and even one of the sannin, Jiraiya, he was going to tire quickly.

Sakura had seen enough. She grabbed Ekyt in a hug. She didn’t hold him tightly. He seemed too surprised to fight back. His eyes were wide with surprise. Sakura, after a moment’s hesitation, pulled his mask down on one side and kissed him on the cheek.

Time stopped. It was like a genjutsu, Ekyt thought. He had just been kissed…he felt his jaw drop slightly, his eyes widen, and his heart race. Sakura…her lips are so…so soft and comforting…I’ve never felt anything like this before…it’s like…I can’t describe it. I never thought of kissing as anything but swapping saliva, but this…it’s different…it’s…gotta be a fluke. No girl could love me…

Everyone froze. They had just been fighting Ekyt, and Sakura took the exact opposite approach. Naruto was shocked, Jiraiya was talking notes, and Sasuke…he smirked. Finally got her attention, loser? Good for you, if you’re into that kind of stuff. Although, if I had gone 19 years without girls attention [as you’ll recall, Sasuke had lots of attention from kunoichi, although, unlike Ekyt, he wanted no part of it], I might just be tempted by that. And Sakura…she’s still smart, I can tell. Either she knew that would stop him dead, or she really means it. In her case, probably both.

“Well, Tsunade DID say you were the only one who could stop him, Sakura…” Jiraiya said quietly. But, for the first time, as Sakura was hugging him, Ekyt’s head bowed.

“Why…” Ekyt muttered.

“Huh?” Sakura was surprised to hear Ekyt talk.

“Why was I cursed with emotions, and caring? I call myself a loner, but I’ll never truly be a loner. I can’t decide how to feel about that. My whole life…it’s been one mistake after another…”

“Ekyt-kun, that’s not true. You’re loyal, warmhearted, and a lot of other things I couldn’t begin to list.” Sakura snuggled in to Ekyt closer, knowing that he wouldn’t attack now.

“I should just leave…I have to love the village…and everyone in it…enough to let go. People who WANTED to hate me…they’ve got their reason…”

Sakura clutched even tighter. “Don’t go. All the times you’ve been the only thing between me and life or death…the times you’ve been there for everyone…their anger will fade. Just give them time, okay? If it doesn’t, then no one will stop you- you can leave.”

Ekyt still didn’t really let go. Sakura had started the embrace, she could be the one to break it, he reasoned.

“They’re entitled to hate me. All of them. Thanks, Sakura, but I should leave. I’ve got love…everyone enough…to let go. I’m only a burden now.”

Everyone was shocked at that. The hug, the kiss, and then Ekyt actually saying what was wrong. It was hard to tell who was more uncomfortable, Ekyt or Sakura. It was like they were having a blushing contest. But as Ekyt turned to walk away, he found himself surrounded by the four.

“This is for your own good! Rasengan!” –Jiraiya
“Rasengan!” –Naruto
“Chidori!” –Sasuke
“Painful Sky Leg!” –Sakura



Ekyt couldn’t block all those strikes, and he was surrounded. Attack is my only option…but they’re my friends! I can just attack them! Damnit!

“I’ll stay!” Ekyt shouted. All the attacks stopped. All around Ekyt, crackling energy had stopped inches away from his body.

“Good. Now, go home at get some rest. This has been hell for you,” Sakura said, surprised Ekyt gave up.

“I have nothing…except life. And maybe…a little hope? Sakura, thank you, I’m glad you helped me…as a friend, instead of as a kunoichi…”



Ekyt went home, and decided it was too small. For how much he trained, he needed space. But he couldn’t justify buying a house, and an apartment wasn’t worth it. So, Ekyt forgot the problem. Instead, he climbed up on his roof, looking at the sky.

So…I said it. Not what I WANTED to tell Sakura, but something I’ve NEEDED to say. I live only to protect others, is that it? What other reason do I have? I guess…I wanted to leave, just to escape. Myself, my past…it’s all blurred together. I should be happy, but I’m not. Then again, I’m not where I wanted to be. Not even close. Maybe it’s time to talk with Ibikki again, or someone. Get more missions, once I’ve healed. Sasuke…Naruto…Jiraiya…Sakura…I’m outclassed by all of them. Against Sasuke, only my chakra and his blind hatred saved me. If I’m going to be here, I’m going to be stronger. Stronger…And I swear…I will NEVER let my honor be stomped on.

Never. I’ll swear it upon my new name. Everyone else has these nice names. My vigilante routine isn’t doing it. Maybe I’ll starting answer to my other name…Ryouko Kaguya DOES have a menacing air to it…



That’s when Ekyt…er, Ryouko, saw something, a few meters away from Naruto and Sasuke. He didn’t like the look of things, so, grabbing his swords and rolling up his scroll, he leapt from rooftop to rooftop, silently pushing off. He dropped behind the person who was spying on Naruto and Sasuke. It was really the LAST person he wanted to see, especially with no one around.





Orochimaru smiled, concealed safely in the confines of a tree.

“Tomorrow, I make my move. I can kill the demon fox, and the Kaguya boy. And Sasuke…he’ll come, one way or the other…If he seeks power, all I need to do is promise it. Oh, but what’s this? Sasuke-kun DID say he was going to be fighting his brother in just under a month. I’ll need to speak with Sasuke before that happens. He’s no match for his brother yet…”

“You underestimate Sasuke,” a voice said.

Orochimaru whipped around, seeing Ekyt.

“Ekyt?”

“Don’t try your cheap genjutsu on me…Itachi.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on March 18, 2008, 1:09:56 AM

hflp on
hflpCool. He fianlly spoke his mind.