Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 37 - How Could He Lose?

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 37 - How Could He Lose?

Chapter 37 - How Could He Lose?
As he ran, faster and faster, Ekyt wondered if he could be legendary someday. He already knew that he couldn’t be. Or, rather, he wouldn’t be. He already knew. Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura were going to be legendary. Or so that’s was how he interpreted Master Sarutobi’s words. It made sense. Naruto had trained with Jiraiya, Sasuke with Orochimaru, and Sakura with Tsunade. Ekyt had trained with just about everyone, but not anyone legendary. It didn’t seem fair. He worked harder than the others, but he was doomed to be less talented? For some reason, this made Ekyt run faster. On one side of him, Lee jumped up, keeping pace. On the other side, Naruto was running at top speed.

“I am sorry…” Lee called over.

“Don’t be!” Ekyt shot back, offering a thumbs-up.

“Don’t try to BS us, we KNOW you had your eyes on Sakura!” Naruto yelled.

“Oh well, first come, first serve!” Ekyt REALLY didn’t want company right now. He let his arms go behind him and ducked lower, running even faster.

“Are you up for a match?” Both Naruto and Lee asked, keeping pace.

“Nah. Not for a while, guys. I’m going on a mission right now. You two should fight, that would be awesome!” Ekyt joked. That was when Ekyt sensed it. He looked up- ten clones of Naruto.

“What the hell?!” Ekyt shouted. They’re attacking?

“You are making a mistake, and we are going to stop you! We are your friends!” Lee declared, shifting into attack mode. All this while running across rooftops. You can tell this was a safety-conscious group.

“Damnit, lay off!” Ekyt snarled. He made hand signs, ending with ‘dragon’, ‘tiger’
“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” Ekyt turned around and ran backward, shooting the flames up at the Naruto clones. Lee took the opportunity to attack. Ekyt stopped dead, while Lee sailed ahead of him. Ekyt kicked him in the stomach, taking him by surprise. From behind, Ekyt heard Naruto. Two of him.

“RASENGAN!”

Ekyt leapt straight up in the air, above the Rasengan. The Naruto clone leapt up after him. From behind, the real Naruto recovered and attacked.

“Dragon’s Circle Jutsu!” Ekyt said aloud. His right hand and his left leg glowed with fire and chakra. Ekyt’s right hand hit the Naruto clone, while his left leg caught the real Naruto in the stomach. As soon as he finished the attack, Ekyt hit the ground running. Lee quickly caught up. A hard kick from him knocked Ekyt off a rooftop!

“Oh no! I did not mean to-” Lee stopped himself in mid-sentence. He had knocked a clone off the roof. The REAL Ekyt had used a body flicker jutsu, and was in Tsunade’s office.




“How did he do that?” Naruto demanded, kicking the ground in frustration.

“He had trained endlessly…perhaps that is why…I will train even harder!” Lee started to do pushups, while Naruto grew increasingly more angry.

“Worry about your goals later, Bushy Brow! That’s not why we’re here! You know what happens to him when something major shakes him up!” Naruto shot back.

“Naruto, he is taking missions. Normally, he clams up and shuns the world. I think that he is making the right move.”




“I’ll take it…this one has some sentimental value, anyway.” Ekyt re-read the scroll, making sure everything was in order.

“You’re going to Otogakure…with a smile on your face…I never thought I’d see the day you’d go back to Orochimaru…” Tsunade shook her head. “Well, you can handle it, so go for it. But if Orochimaru attacks, GET OUT. I don’t care how much you’ve improved. Your mission is to make sure he’s not plotting an attack. It ends there, it DOES NOT include stopping him yourself.”

Ekyt nodded. No need to tell her that’s exactly WHY I’m going. I’ve got something to prove to myself. Besides, it’s a chance to see my cousin, Kimimaro, again. Maybe he’s changed. Can’t wait to tell him I can do the ‘bone thing’. I don’t even know HOW I did it, the one time I did…I remember Master Sarutobi talking about me having two kekkaigenkai’s, or something like that. One lies dormant in me, until I need it. Since the emotional chakra comes first, I’d imagine that’s the one that’s active. But that’s another firecracker I’ll light when I come to it. I’ve got to focus.

“Listen…just be careful, alright? You’re one of my best, so just don’t get yourself killed on me,” Tsunade playfully admonished Ekyt. Things had been better between them, since he had eaten the heat for the whole ‘fake Fifth Hokage’ thing.

“Alright. Just out of curiosity, if I were to be made a chunin in Otogakure, would it count here?” Ekyt shot a glance at Tsunade.

“Funny man,” Tsunade shot back. “Yes, it would count. I would have to give you the vest. But I don’t think you’ll take the promotion.”

“You’re right…” Ekyt had to admit. His match with Lee, and his fight with the two of them on the way here suddenly hit him. He couldn’t wait to leave. As he went to leave, Tsunade put her arm out. Without warning, she flung two kunai at the door.




“HEY!” Naruto shouted. “WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA, GRANNY?!”

“Oh, it’s just you. I mistook you for a threat,” Tsunade said dismissively. Naruto got an unmistakable look of anger on his face.

“Yeah…HEY!” Naruto was trying to get to Tsunade, but was held back by Lee.

“We are here to issue a challenge to Ekyt. If he leaves the village, he will not come back. Not after Sakura. So I am going to offer him a bet.” Lee let go of the slightly-calmer Naruto.

“Really? Well, go ahead. Sorry Ekyt, no missions for you until after this bet. He’s got my interest!” Tsunade declared, reaching for a suitcase of money.

“What’s the bet?” Ekyt asked, without emotion.

“You will fight…Naruto! If you win, you are free to go! If you lose, you do not leave the village!” As before, Lee grabbed Ekyt’s hand and shook it before he could say no.

“Damnit! I don’t want to! I want to take my missions, and get the hell out of here! And- oh perfect, just what my day was missing!” Ekyt declared. Linda walked in.

“You’re just jealous because you can’t have me!” Linda said, sticking her tongue out. “And now, you can’t have Sakura!”

“Get bent,” Ekyt said flatly.

“YOU couldn’t if you tried!” Linda shot back.

“I’m all in on Ekyt,” Tsunade told Lee, dumping her money on the table.

“Me, too!” Lee added his money to the pile.

“HEY! WHAT ABOUT ME?! I TRAINED WITH THE PERVY SAGE, AND I OUTRANK HIM!” Naruto shouted, eyes white, pointing at Ekyt.

Ekyt, who had been silent until this point, looked up.
“I’ll fight you. And then I’m leaving. Forever? I don’t know. Maybe I’ll take an extended mission in Otogakure, or Sunagakure. But if fighting you is what it’ll take to get me out of here…I’ll do it.”




Sasuke and Sakura were walking by when they saw Naruto and Ekyt squared off in the stadium where the finals of the chunin exams were held.
“Wanna check it out?” Sasuke asked.
“Yeah! Ekyt’s SO gonna win, though!” Sakura joked.
“Don’t count either one out just yet…” Sasuke admonished. If old man Third was right, then this might be a legendary battle. He did say there would be three legends, with Ekyt being a gray area. Either way, it’s a chance to see my two biggest competitors fight.




“You ready, Pervy Samurai?” Naruto taunted. That always got Ekyt in the mood to fight.

“Go for it,” Ekyt replied tonelessly.

“What the hell’s wrong with you?!” Naruto shouted as he ran toward Ekyt.

“Shadow Clone Jutsu!” Naruto called as forty more of him appeared.

“HAH! Try and get me now!” the Naruto’s shouted. They were running straight toward Ekyt. Ekyt made hand signs without dodging. He was fighting in a stationary position, showing just how much he cared about this fight. He didn’t.

“Dragon’s Encampment Wall.” Ekyt’s handsigns had produced a wall of fire, which popped up and singed the first wave of Narutos.


“What’s wrong with you?! You’re always up for a fight!” Naruto shouted.

“Easy for you to say. You’re a hero. I’m lucky to be welcomed here. You’ll have your dream someday! And your destined for more! But me…I’ll die a footnote in history! The most I can hope for is a spot on the memorial obelisk, with my name etched near the fallen Shinobi!”

“What the hell are you talking about?!” Naruto asked loudly. “You’ve done tons of stuff! Why do you think you’ll die nameless?!”

The clones kept attacking, and Ekyt was finally forced to use a weapon. He didn’t want to use anything that would kill, in case it was the real Naruto he hit. So he was forced to use his iron war fan again. Unlike Temari’s, it was small, and Ekyt kept it closed. It was just a taijutsu weapon. If Ekyt opened it, he used it to block, or he used it to cut at close range. He couldn’t use his chakra too much yet, he needed all he could save for when Naruto broke out HIS jutsus. So, he focused on taijutsu, knocking the clones away. Finally, only two Naruto’s remained. Ekyt suddenly put on a burst of speed and sent Naruto sailing with a smart crack to the face. Naruto’s headband flew off. The other Naruto disappeared, finally leaving only one.




“He must have put chakra into that strike…he knows Naruto’s not giving it his best yet, and he WANTS to piss him off…” Tsunade muttered. Soon, she was joined by Master Jiraiya.

“I told him if he tried to leave, I’d stop him- by force. Whether he wins or not, he’s not leaving…” Jiraiya intoned.

“You, too? I was going to stop him, too…well, this will be interesting, then.” That was all Tsunade said. She cringed when she heard Sakura and Sasuke land. Oh shoot. No way Ekyt can fight with a distraction like that!

“Oh no…If Ekyt-kun sees her…” Lee murmured nervously.




Ekyt looked up, and saw Sakura. He froze for a second, but then his eyes went back to being half-lidded, and he focused on the fight. Naruto had retrieved his headband, but now he was out for blood.

“That’s it! SUMMONING JUTSU!”

Ekyt gulped. I didn’t think he’d…How the hell do I counter Gamabunta? I can’t risk Holly…That means Umisu and Shuurai…it’ll take my up some good chakra, but…

“Striking Serpent: Summoning Jutsu!” Ekyt made the signs and smashed his hand into the ground the same time as Naruto. The explosion were tremendous. Naruto was sitting on top of Gamabunta’s head, while Ekyt was standing next to Shuurai, his snake. The height difference was incredible. Shuurai was twelve feet tall, but Gamabunta was as big as a mountain! This was going to take strategy.

This must have registered on Ekyt’s face, because Shuurai spoke up in his polite hiss.

“Master, I CAN expand. It’s easier to travel like this, but actually…” Shuurai grew, almost to eye level with Gamabunta. Shuurai reached down and grabbed Ekyt, tossing him up onto his head with his fangs. Ekyt marveled at the view.

“You never cease to amaze me, Shuurai! Thank you!”



“What’s this? Shuurai? You’ve grown!” Gamabunta rumbled.

“Yes, it happens, Gamabunta. I hope you are well,” Shuurai replied.

“Just fine, my friend. It seems our summoners are fighting…well, guess we’ve got to fufill our contracts! YAHHH!” Gamabunta leapt forward, forcing Shuurai to slither away at top speed. Ekyt had never fought like this before, so he was at a disadvantage.

“Shuurai, what kind of attacks do you have? Damn, I never studied that! I’ve got it- WHOA!”

Naruto had used a Shadow Clone Jutsu, and three of them had tagged Ekyt in the face, knocking him off of Shuurai. He toppled end over end.

Shuurai leapt up and burrowed into the ground. Just as Ekyt was going to hit the ground, Shuurai caught him- and swallowed him! Then, he reared back and spit Ekyt out, straight at Naruto! (Think of Orochimaru’s part in the 3rd Shippuuden opening, that’s what inspired this)

Ekyt gave Naruto a smart crack, but he disappeared. Another grinning Naruto was behind him. “Gotcha!”

“A clone? Damn!” Gamabunta bucked Ekyt off, but this time Ekyt was ready. He made handsigns as he plummeted down.

“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu: Clone Instigation! Dragon’s Path!” A clone of Ekyt popped out of thin air and used the Dragon’s Ember Jutsu. Ekyt landed on the trail of fire and slid down it, back towards Naruto. As he was sliding, something happened to him. He remembered a picture he had seen in Sakura’s room, the time he had to break in to save her. It was a picture of Kakashi, Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura.

A team, huh? Even the Legendary Three had a team…I’ve only got myself. Sure, training here and there with others…but can I truly be a warrior without a team? …

“RASENGAN!” Naruto shouted. Just as Ekyt reached Gamabunta, Naruto attacked. Ekyt leapt up, shaken out of his trance. Just as he landed, he saw the second Naruto holding the sphere of chakra. He had been hidden behind the first one! Most times, Ekyt could have done something here, but the image of that picture flashed through his head again, breaking his handsigns AND his concentration.
Oh…damn…
Ekyt was hit full in the stomach. He was blasted back to Shuurai. Shuurai only had time to catch him before the summoning jutsu ended. Ekyt was unconscious, and the fight was over.




“I don’t know if that was good or bad…” Jiraiya mused after the match.

“Huh? He’s staying in the village, how can it be bad?” Tsunade said nonchalantly.

“He just lost to Naruto…Granted, Naruto is formidable…but if you had done nothing but train for four years, and that was it, nothing else, and you got beaten by someone who was the Village idiot not too long ago…what would that do to your pride?”

Tsunade winced. “Oh boy. The kid’s gonna be a wreck…”




Ekyt woke up, immediately getting up and pulling the Ivs out of himself. He was still wearing his own clothes, so he just got up and walked out. On his way out, he saw the sign:

Attending Nurse: Haruno, Sakura

Ekyt wrote a quick note, accompanied by the standard amount for hospitalization (Ekyt knew it by heart now) then left. Unfortunately, in the waiting room, there was Naruto and Lee. Ekyt quickly pressed himself against a wall as he heard his name mentioned.



Lee: Naruto, that was excellent!

Naruto: Yeah! I won!

Lee: Your technique was great! You had Ekyt beat, and that is not easy to do!

Naruto: Yeah…seems like something was going through his head at the end, though. Oh well, a wins a win, believe it!

Lee: You stopped him from making a critical mistake in leaving. Now that he cannot leave, we can fix his life!




Ekyt finally couldn’t take it.

“Good match, Naruto,” Ekyt said, falsely cheerful, as he stepped around the corner. The whitewashed tile and the light green walls of the hospital corridor were a shock to Ekyt’s eyes, after being in his darkened room.

“Yeah! Thanks! Well, I had to win, had to fix your life, ‘tabeyo. If you had left, the town wouldn’t be the same!” Naruto replied.

“Thanks for the well wishing. Unfortunately, you overlooked the fact that the town hates me,” Ekyt said with a smirk. Although he was FAR from joking.

“Haven’t you done enough already? My life is in the shoots, thanks to your damn plot! I’m stuck in this pissant town, taking D-ranked missions where people hate my guts! I have no dreams, no ambitions! And you think you’re helping me?! For once, I wasn’t going to just give up…I was going to take missions again, and get out, clear my head. My only hope was…escape. You can’t understand, you’re ambitions are too rooted here. My only salvation was elsewhere…anywhere…Konoha holds too many memories…mostly bad. I used to have people to fight for, but now those people don’t trust me. And rightfully so. But, I’m a man of my word, and of honor, even if my honor has been destroyed…”

“You must be kidding! Konoha is the perfect place! Where else would you go?!” Lee asked incredolously.

“Sound Village…Sand Village…Akatsuki. But now, any missions I had hope of doing, any C, B, A, or S-ranks…all ruined. I sent my resignation to ANBU, I’m not much good to them if I can’t leave the village. Ibikki-sensei is fighting it, trying to keep me on as just Interrogation. I’ve let one of my summons retire already. This fighting wasn’t good for Holly. It would break what’s left of my heart if she was hurt…Either way, there’s only one more thing to do. Then you’ll have your wish- I’ll be stuck in this place, and worthless.”

“Hey, that wasn’t-” Naruto began. But Ekyt had already walked away. As he left, Sakura walked up from another direction.

“Was that Ekyt? He shouldn’t be out of bed yet!” Sakura fretted, starting after him.

“Trust me, it’s better to let him go.” Jiraiya nodded sagely.




Tsunade had been expecting Ekyt. But not this. Before either of them could speak, Ekyt had tossed his headband on her desk.

“I resign. If I can’t take anything that isn’t D-ranked, then I have no choice. I lost the bet, and I’m sticking by my word.” With that, Ekyt used the body flicker jutsu to get away before Tsunade could speak to him.

She and Shizune both just looked at the headband.

“I hope he snaps out of this…I know he’s serious about this…But I really hope…he doesn’t…give up. First was that whole promotion thing, then not getting Sakura, and now he can’t leave the village, and take missions he’s earned. I don’t blame him, but still…” Tsunade shook her head, sighed, and reached for a container of sake.

Shizune put the headband on a shelf on the wall, smoothing it, then stepping back and looking at it.

This has to pass…Maybe he just needs some time…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on March 23, 2008, 2:23:03 PM

hflp on
hflpAwesome chapter.