Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 40 - Chaos Dictates Life

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 40 - Chaos Dictates Life

Chapter 40 - Chaos Dictates Life
Naruto’s third tail appeared, and he was now on all fours, growling.
“You bastard! You came back, and now you go and do something like this? What the hell is wrong with you? DO that to your psyco brother, not him!” Naruto snarled.
Sasuke didn’t seem to care. “The fox? Fine, Naruto. The last time we fought, my 2nd level curse was stronger than your demon fox. If you want to tempt fate twice, be my guest.”



Tsunade and Sakura were debating on how to get Ekyt down. At one point, Tsunade had felt for a pulse. She was surprised to find he had one. Truth be told, Ekyt should’ve been killed when he was stabbed. But regardless of HOW he was alive, he wouldn’t stay that way suspended in the air by the sword. But getting it out…

“If we just pull it out, we might cut something important, or pull out an organ…if we leave him there, he’s dead. If we could stabilize the wound from the inside…” Tsunade was running through every medical scenario she could think of in her head, but was drawing a blank.

Sakura was using her chakra to make sure there was no poison. Thankfully, she didn’t find any, but couldn’t do anymore.

Ekyt was conscious at this point, and actually cursed at the pain.
“Damn…get this…thing outta me…” he slurred. He didn’t have the strength to do it himself.

“If we do that without stabilizing you first, we might kill you ourselves. Just give us time to” Tsunade began. To her surprise, Ekyt reached one arm down, to his stomach. It was still glowing with his blue flame chakra.

“That won’t help, that things is in there good. And even YOU can’t reach in and stabalize it…” Tsunade didn’t like the situation. THAT much was evident.

“I’m not…I’m trying…what the Third told me about…I’ve still got the Kaguya blood in me…YAGHH!” At the yell, the Kusanagi fell out of Ekyt. From the hole in Ekyt, if you looked inside, you could see that a bone had pushed the sword out. Ekyt fell to the ground, landing on one knee.

“This…kinda hurts…” he joked. He slumped back against the gnarled tree. The blood was still flowing, but not as freely. His breathing was heavy, but steady at the same time.

“I used the bone to block the blood flow for now, and stabilize the area. I can’t maintain it for long, not like this. If you can heal me, please do it, quick, or I’m going to take someone else out with me before I die,” Ekyt glared at Sasuke. You…evil bastard…You can’t be trusted…




Sasuke ran forward, faster than the human eye could follow. The DEMON eye, however, had no trouble. Naruto roared, knocking Sasuke away with pure chakra. Sasuke, now in his 2nd level form, flew against the current of the chakra. The sound of birds chirping cracked the air. Naruto, once again, used the Rasengan.




“Kakashi-sempai!” Yamato tapped Kakashi on the shoulder, pointing at Orochimaru’s body. It had begun to fall apart, and restructure- as snakes.

“It’s a kinjutsu…the only one with the knowledge to know which one would be the Third Hokage. Yamato, use your wood to halt the process any way you can. Master Sarutobi needs to be here for this. My Sharingan can’t copy whatever it is that’s going on, and we need to know.” Kakashi disappeared in a swirl of leaves, accompanied by smoke.

Yamato used his “Great Wooden Prison” jutsu to cause blocks of wood to pop up and make the snakes change direction, slowing their progress. Undeterred, they slithered on, like stream water around rocks, to their destination.




Master Sarutobi looked up when the knock came at his door. Getting up with a grace defying his age, he opened it to find a worried looking Kakashi.
“Kakashi? Is something wrong?” If Kakashi is shaken up, there’s reason to worry…

Kakashi nodded his head. “I’ll explain on the way, Master Sarutobi….”

As they zipped through the trees, Kakashi explained. “Ekyt Kaguya was defending Jiraiya, before he sent him away, to get his injury treated. That was when my team and I arrived. And, well…Ekyt was forced to kill Orochimaru to protect Naruto. That’s the problem. ONE of the problems. Ekyt has never taken a life, and he’s shaken up. He had no other choice but to kill Orochimaru, but he can’t get that into his head. And, if you’ve seen him around the village, you know he really feels he’s hit rock bottom. He hasn’t worn a hitai-ate, or his vest. He’s dressed like a civilian. But that’s really not important, not right now. The OTHER problem is that Ekyt is possibly dying, thanks to Sasuke Uchiha attacking him. Sasuke isn’t fighting on behalf of Orochimaru, he’s attempting obtain the Mangekyo Sharingan, while swearing alliegance to Konoha. If Ekyt DOES die, Sasuke will have earned it (The Mangekyo Sharingan)in a way similar to his brother. Right now, Naruto is fighting Sasuke, while Ekyt is being treated by Tsunade-sama and Sakura. But it’s Orochimaru that concerns us.”

“You said he was dead, he is still a concern?” Sarutobi asked, already knowing. He had battled Orochimaru a few years ago, and had actually tried to end his life. If I could have killed him, so many lives would have been saved. If it’s true that Ekyt HAS killed him, then that young man may just become legendary himself. Still…Orochimaru’s corpse acting strangely…he’s always been slippery, he always has a way out. Has he even fooled death?

Sarutobi was immediately worried with that grim thought in mind. Evil like that hardly ever simply ‘goes away’. And for Ekyt to kill, the situation must have been grave…Beyond grave. Naruto has grown, but Sasuke thinks nothing of killing…All I can do is place my faith in Naruto, and the others. They’ll step in when the time is right.



The Chidori and the Rasengan met, creating a colossal shockwave that pulsed through the air. Yamato, Sakura, and Sai all put an arm up over their faces. Tsunade and Ekyt were safe behind the memorial obelisk. Tsunade had moved Ekyt so she could treat him safely.

Sasuke put an arm up in front of his face, thinking that he had to have just won. His eyes grew wide when he saw an unharmed Naruto still growling at him.

How strong has he gotten? H-he’s ready to kill me! I can sense it! It’s the demon fox, it’s getting out of control!




Ekyt was patched up, for the most part. When he stood up, he saw Naruto and Sasuke. Against his body’s wishes, he got involved.

“Naruto! Don’t do it! Don’t let the fourth tail grow! I’m fine! We’re all okay, don’t become a killer for us! Don’t be…like me!”

Sasuke smirked. “You’re strong. Somehow, I wasn’t sure I was going to kill you. Rest assured, I DID try. But there’s someone else who wants a crack at you. And he’s my personal protégé. Well, he WAS. I’m with the Leaf again. He’s still with the sound. You know him…you should, he was your student.



Chakaro, his long greasy hair flying behind him in a ponytail, flew toward Ekyt. He landed right in front of him, a smirk on his face.

“How are you still alive? And how did you kill Lord Orochimaru? Maybe I need to avenge his death…” Chakaro suddenly thrust a kunai towards Ekyt’s neck. When he looked down, he saw Ekyt had one at HIS throat. (Always wanted to write this, ever since I saw the third Shippuuden opening!)




Tsunade has seen more than enough. Apparently, Sakura had, too. At the same time, they both bashed the ground, sending the two flying apart. Ekyt landing, crouching, ready to strike. Chakaro recovered in mid-air and threw two kunai. Ekyt threw two shuriken to knock down the kunai. The sound of metal clattering away somehow reminded Ekyt’s body that it was injured. Fortunately for him, Tsunade had seen enough. She marched forward, one finger held aloft, next to her ear. When Chakaro turned to face her, she simply flicked him in the forehead, sending him sailing toward Sasuke.




Sasuke dodged the incoming human projectile. But he had walked right into Naruto’s trap.

“RASENGAN!”

Once more, Sasuke had fell at the hands of Naruto. It was beyond belief for most. Naruto included. But he was too angry to care. Sasuke might be like a brother to him, but that brother might have murdered a good friend. That made him no better than Itachi, right? Naruto ran to Ekyt, who was already standing up. He looked like hell, but managed a smile for Naruto’s sake.

“Nice win, Naruto. Thanks for the save. I guess I should have said that before…” Ekyt muttered sheepishly.

“Hey, we all make mistakes. That’s why friends are there- to make them funny, or to make them better! Believe it!” Naruto clapped Ekyt on the shoulder.

Ekyt gave a small chuckle. “Well, time for me to start training again. If I got THAT close to being killed, then I’m not working hard enough.”

Naruto couldn’t even CONTEMPLATE training that hard. When does this guy sleep?



Master Sarutobi looked at Orochimaru’s body. The snakes were doing SOMETHING to it. As he looked closer, he saw a horrifying site. Orochimaru blinked, then smiled widely. He opened his mouth and spoke. Ekyt turned around, his eyes wide as dinner plates.

“You…but I just…” Ekyt shook his head. Sakura tossed Ekyt’s jacket over his shoulders.

“Did you REALLY believe I would die so easily? You’ve grown, Ekyt-kun. Two years ago, you wouldn’t have DREAMED of taking my life. You would have tried to push Naruto out of the way. That would have been pointless. You’ve won the day, and my respect…”

Orochimaru was now reformed, the last snake slithering up his sleeve.

“I also sense discomfort…and I hear what was said…you WERE going to seek me out. Perhaps I could give you a little something for your troubles…” Orochimaru’s neck shot towards Ekyt, his mouth opened to give Ekyt a bite that would make him like Sasuke. The thought revolted Ekyt. He drew his long sword and thrust toward Orochimaru’s mouth. Orochimaru pulled back just in time.

Sheathing his sword, Ekyt felt his jacket flutter to the ground. He held the sword in a guard, covering his chest.

“I’ve killed you once, don’t think I won’t do it again…” Ekyt warned. “Now that I’ve killed someone, I’d have no problem ridding the world of evil scum like you. Now, get out of here with your worthless servant (Chakaro). I can still sense your chakra, and even YOU wouldn’t dare fight with so little of it.”

Orochimaru stopped smirking, but admitted that Ekyt was right by taking Chakaro’s unconscious form and leaving.

Ekyt also left abruptly, needing to get away for a while. He climbed up on Hokage Mountain, and looked down. The Village was so full of life, and the panoramic view was breathtaking. Tears soon stained Ekyt’s face.

It really is…a life I’ll never have, isn’t it? And I nearly died today, myself, and I’ve got nothing to show for it, except that, when it counted, I WOULD kill to save someone. Look at the town…all of them…but they’re still upset with me. My life just feels…empty. When I was fighting Orochimaru, protecting Master Jiraiya, I really felt alive, like I belonged. Now, I just feel akward…and alone…and now I’ve caused a HUGE rift between Sasuke and Sakura…I can’t make things worse, I’ve alienated just about everyone. Maybe it’s time for me to just…let it go. Forget this whole thing, about wanting to be the best. What can you do when the deck is stacked against you? And now, how am I going to tell everyone that I’m going to…retire, I guess. I don’t even want to, but the harder I try, the worse I make things. I just won’t tell them. I’ll just fade into the background…

“Fade into the background…” Ekyt said aloud, unaware that he had company.

“I don’t think so!” Naruto declared. “I know what you’re doing up here, thinking like that! The way you always do! Did I quit because the village hated me? No! Did I stop when I fell behind my team? No! So you can’t just give it up!”

Ekyt turned around, smiling. “You’re right, I can’t. Not ‘just like that’. So, Naruto, maybe you can help me…I want to fight you, one more time. I need to know if I’m truly warrior material. And you can help.”

Naruto looked surprised, to say the least. “How can I help?”

Ekyt drew backward into a guard. “By fighting me, one last time. If I win, I’m allowed to leave the village again. If I lose…”

Naruto watched the words leave Ekyt’s lips, surprised beyond words.

“…If I lose, I’ll retire, and stay in the village. All I ask, Naruto, is give me- one last fight. One last round, in front of all the people left that I trust. Can you do that, Naruto? You’d be one step closer to Hokage, beating me. Or, you’d be making a friend see his true purpose, losing to me. This time, I’m not distracted, and I’ll give you the fight you deserve!”

Naruto thought about it. He really didn’t want to do it, but he knew that if HE wasn’t the one who fought, Ekyt would find someone else.

“You’ve got a deal!”

“Don’t hold back. No matter what. If I’m beaten, I’m beaten. Agreed?” Ekyt asked, knowing that Naruto.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on March 31, 2008, 3:48:40 AM

hflp on
hflpDAMN!