Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 41 - An Offer He Couldn't Refuse...

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 41 - An Offer He Couldn't Refuse...

Chapter 41 - An Offer He Couldn't Refuse...
Opening song

Opening: I’ll be your Hero:

You always were there,
Always beside me.
Holding my hand every step of the way.
Through these eyes, you could do no wrong.
In these eyes, you were brave and strong.
In my heart, those days live on.

You were my hero.
Hero!
You were my hero.
Whoa, whoa!
Yeah.

What does it take to be a hero?
What does it take to be a man?
I'm lookin' down into my young boy's eyes.
As I feel his love, oh I realize,
The torch is passed along,
on and on.


(NOTE: I know, this combat scene is short, and right to the point. But in the near future, I’ve got a big fight scene planned. So stay tuned!)

In the stands were the few people left that really trusted Ekyt. Tsunade, Sakura, Kakashi, Guy, Asuma, Shikamaru, Chouji, Sarutobi, and Lee. They had just witnessed a remarkable match. And the ending hadn’t come yet.

Both combatants were battered and beaten. Ekyt’s face was a mask of crimson, a highway of blood going from his nose and down his mask. Naruto wasn’t as hurt physically, but Ekyt’s genjutsu had worn Naruto down. Naruto suddenly darted forward, using another clone jutsu. But these clones hid his real attack.

As Ekyt destroyed them, his guard dropped for a fraction of a second. That was when Naruto leapt just in front of Ekyt, as both his hands and legs were held by clones.

“RASENGAN!”

But he couldn’t do it. Naruto stopped.

“Damnit, you finish that strike! Do it! You have me beaten!”

Naruto’s Rasengan was inches from Ekyt’s chest. Ekyt had been bested, and he knew it. The swirling ball of chakra was right there. Naruto was frozen, torn between bad choice one and bad choice two.

I-If I DO hit him, he retires! If I DON’T hit him…then I’ll have lied to him. AHH, what do I do?!

“I said do it!” Ekyt shouted. “You’ve won! Do it, or I’m leaving the village!” Ekyt threatened. “You want to be Hokage? Then you do what you have to!”

Naruto looked at Ekyt, tears in both their eyes.

“I’m sorry…Forgive me!” Naruto drove the Rasengan home, into Ekyt’s chest. Ekyt’s slight teenage form was blown backwards, blood arching away from his mouth. But, as his mask flew away (He’s flying pretty fast, so the wind resistance is tugging his mask off), Naruto saw a smile, just before Ekyt hit the wall on the other side of the stadium.



Ekyt hit the wall hard. He stuck to it for a moment, then fell down it, onto his head, then flopped onto his back. He closed his eyes, smiling serenly.
Well, if you’re going to lose, you might as well go out to the best…thank you, Naruto. I’ll never forget it.
Slowly, Ekyt got to his feet. Naruto was in tears himself, and Ekyt felt some welling up.

“It’s okay, Naruto. Really. Thank you. Just remember that this brings you one step closer to being Hokage. And…you’re a good friend. What was it you told me about friends? Something about them being there to make mistakes funny, or make them better? You’ve made this one better, Naruto. All I’ve done is make one mistake after another. You really proved that you’re a true friend. Thank you.”

Naruto embraced Ekyt (In a manly way, of course!), inadvertently hurting Ekyt in the process.

“Why? Why did you want it to be this way?” Naruto asked quietly.

“Because it was the only way I would know for sure. You’re going to be a legend. I was never sure where I stood, until now. That’s why it had to work out this way. You’re a legend, a future Hokage, and I’m a guy that got lucky to find a place in the world.” Ekyt clapped Naruto on the back, then looked up at the few that had gathered in the stands. They were all somber.



Ekyt’s stoicism was long gone. He was sad, too. But he had a plan. Maybe if he retired, the village would stop hating him. If he wasn’t going to be legendary, then he could at LEAST make sure people didn’t hate his guts when he died.


Tsunade and Sakura were the two who approached Ekyt. Sakura was more emotional. Shinobi had come and gone with Lady Tsunade, but Sakura had never really lost someone close like this to retirement.

“You don’t have to do this…” she said, looking at him. Her pale green eyes bored into his dark hazel eyes.

“Maybe not…but I should. Thank you, for everything Sakura-sensei.” Ekyt’s eyes, while tearful, still seemed happy. And comforting, to Sakura. They were peaceful for the first time since she’d known him.

Sakura suddenly stepped forward and embraced him, resting her chin on his shoulder. A few tears soon stained the material of Ekyt’s vest. It was all Ekyt could do not to stain Sakura’s top with his own.

“It’s okay, really.” Ekyt kept his tone low and comforting, talking only to Sakura.

“It just…won’t be the same without you!” Sakura replied. She felt- Ekyt stroking her hair? Huh? H-HE’S comforting ME? Shouldn’t it be the other way around. Either way…it’s so sweet of him!

“It’s not like I’m going anywhere. I’ll still be around, still training. And besides, you know what I’ve always said. I’ll ALWAYS be there for Konoha, and the people in it.”

Sakura looked into Ekyt’s eyes again. She nodded, trying to calm down. He was right. But still…
He’s gotten handsome…and now I’m alone…Sasuke…I can’t go back to him. Not now. Not after what he did.
That made Sakura cry a little harder. True to form, Ekyt shrugged his jacket off and laid it on her shoulders.

“If you need anything…you can always come to me…” Ekyt told her quietly, blushing as he always did, but his voice steady. Sakura couldn’t help herself, she looked up at him again. He was steadfast, like a rock, as always. But at the same time, Sakura knew he was speaking from the heart.



Tsunade hugged Ekyt, even kissed him on the forehead.
“If I hadn’t denied you the chunin exams, or the rank, all this time…you would have won that match…but it can’t be helped. You’re brave to do this, you know. Walking away.”

Ekyt nodded, thanking her silently. But Tsunade wasn’t done.

“It takes guts to do that. And I know WHY you’re doing it. You just want to be loved by the town again. Let me tell you this: If you WERE to retire from missions, there will always be a spot for you, doing other work, and keeping your skills sharp. And, when you’re sick of retirement, just say so, and you’ll be back.” Tsunade smiled knowingly as she told Ekyt what was probably the most comforting thing in the world at that moment.

“Thank you, Lady Fifth. And…I’m sorry for being a royal pain in the @$$.” Ekyt burst out laughing, as did Tsunade.

“You’re a talented pain in the @$$. And I swear, I WILL get you to be one of my top jonin someday soon! Just explain to me how you could beat Orochimaru, but not Naruto?” Tsunade said with a snicker.

Ekyt shrugged. “I think it’s because I wasn’t protecting anyone. That’s probably why. Naruto’s talented, though, too. The WORST part is- NOW I know what I would have done! I would have shifted my weight and throw one of his clones into him. Agh, it’s like thinking of an insult three hours too late, after the person who insulted you has already walked away.”

Tsunade nodded understandingly. She kissed Ekyt on the forehead again.

“Thanks for saving the pervert’s @$$. You know, I should apologize, too. But I’m not going to. Instead, I’m going to tell you this: Show up at the academy tomorrow. Your retirement couldn’t have come at a better time.”

While Ekyt was pondering what that meant, looking out across the stadium, Sakura approached him again. This time, when she grabbed him in a strong embrace, she stroked his cheek. It’s a little rough…kinda rugged…he’s cuter smooth-shaven, though…Ah, what am I thinking? But I’ve got to do this…no matter how akward.


Ekyt froze up. Sakura? What’s she playing at? Staring at me like that…could she…no, it’s not possible she’s figured out that I…is it?

Sakura put a hand behind Ekyt’s head and gently kissed his cheek. It lasted long for a soft and brushing kiss, and it left both giver and receiver incredibly red.

Sakura kind of looked away, blushing shyly. “I really appreciate you being there for me. After what happened with Sasuke, I’m not going to go back to him. And…well…thanks for saying just what I needed to hear.”


Boom. Right there. For once, Ekyt felt he could tell Sakura how he felt. I can say it! I’ve faced killing someone, my own death, retirement, and a hard reality. What’s there left to fear?
But, before he opened his mouth, a second thought struck Ekyt.
She’s just leaving Sasuke…I shouldn’t tell her something like that…not just yet…it would be like I was WAITING for her and Sasuke to fall apart. But I SWEAR I will tell her…soon.

Sakura smiled up at him, eyes still watering. Ekyt tightened his grip slightly. When Sakura didn’t object, he finished returning her hug.



----The Next Morning---



Ekyt had retrived his hitai-ate and replaced his mask. After getting cleaned up, he walked to the academy. Class was already in session. Iruka was sitting at his desk, looking over a scroll. Ekyt walked over to him.

“I was told to come here this morning, Iruka-sensei? Do you need help with class?” Ekyt asked, figuring that was the case. It wouldn’t have been the first time.

Iruka smiled, but didn’t answer. Instead, he turned to the class.



“Everyone, listen up! As you know, I’ve been promoted to Jonin. I’ve been asked to be a field instructor, at least temporarily. So, Okkuu Kazuki and Momoka Yuuka, as promised, the two of you are assigned to cell 16, which I’m instructing. To the rest of you: In my absence, your instructor is Ekyt Kaguya. I’m going to miss all of you. But, just as you graduate and become genin, I’ve also progressed. But I’ll be back. In the mean time, I expect all of you to behave for your instructor.”

“Iruka-sensei…” Ekyt began, in the opening stages of protesting, but somehow guessing it wouldn’t do any good. “…congratulations. At least one less team won’t wind up like me.”

“I wouldn’t mind having a few more like you. It’s always a little sad when a student surpasses his teacher, but at the same time, it just means you’ve done your job right. You’ll be a good instructor, Ekyt, that’s why I chose you.” Iruka shook his hand, then walked out of the room.



The class looked at Ekyt. Ekyt looked at the class.

“Hey, what’s with the mask? Are you a clown or something?!” shouted one student with a brush cut. His friends laughed. Ekyt was tempted to laugh, but decided making a point would be better.

“You, there. I see you’re good at observing things…so, please, come down here for a minute,” Ekyt smirked to himself. NOW I see why Kakashi-sensei has so much fun with his students…they walk right into these things.

The student walked down cockily.

“I heard you retired,” he sneered.

“You have a name, captain obvious?” Ekyt asked mildly.

“I’m Naoto Urashi! That’s right, of the famous Urashi family!” the boy added, grinning.

“Really? That’s nice to know. Now, just speak up when you see something you’ve never seen before…Oh, and don’t turn too sharply, you might hurt yourself.” Ekyt smirked, then- poof? A shadow clone.

Behind Naoto, Ekyt garnered the class’ attention by taking off his jacket. When Naoto turned around, Ekyt reached up to his left shoulder and pulled out a bone. It was long, and somewhat sharp.

“Oh, shoot!” Naoto screamed, then passed out.

Ekyt bent down over him. “Can I take that as a “I’ve never seen that before, sempai?”

I’m going to enjoy this…however long it lasts…

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 1, 2008, 12:38:52 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifelol thats hilarious

hflp on March 31, 2008, 12:45:19 PM

hflp on
hflphahahahaha, That ending was awesome. I could definately see Ekyt having fun at this new job.